Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 18:02   #451
BHPian

Hello all,
I'd like to know where in Chennai I can host a dinner which should cost me no more than 600 per person?
It's a family get together and there'll be around 30 of us and will be in a weekday.

Right now, Greenpark and JP hotel are in the list.
Old 30th December 2011, 18:20   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara
Hello all,
I'd like to know where in Chennai I can host a dinner which should cost me no more than 600 per person?
It's a family get together and there'll be around 30 of us and will be in a weekday.

You can try
1. Annalakshmi
2. The residency
3. BBQ nation
4. GRT grand
Old 30th December 2011, 19:28   #453
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Hello all,

If OMR works, try "The Farm" excellent place and perfect for a family gathering.
Old 30th December 2011, 19:44   #454
BHPian

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
You can try
1. Annalakshmi
2. The residency
3. BBQ nation
4. GRT grand
I've been to BBQ. No doubt, it's a terrific place. But, the dinner buffet is 700+ IIRC and Annalakshmi seems to be only for vegans. We have few non-veg lovers.
Will the Residency & GRT grand fall below 600/person? Let me check with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
If OMR works, try "The Farm" excellent place and perfect for a family gathering.
I'll call them and BTW heard good stories about "Malgudi" near the OMR-ECR link road jn., at Sozinganallur. Will check with them too.
Old 30th December 2011, 19:52   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram

Yes I do agree, Farm is one of the best you can find in chennai.
Perfect hosts perfect ambience and good food. Their buffet is around 400 however I shall advise you to go for a la carte as you can get more variety and choices
Old 27th January 2012, 10:53   #456
BHPian

Friends,

Most of you who would have traveled Chennai - B'lore via Ambur would know of the famous "Star Biryani".

Have you been to their chennai outlet. I am a regular to their chennai outlet in Arcot Road , Vadapalani for more than 2 yrs now They have the same authentic taste. It is really awesome. Place is small so I prefer a "take away".

If you get a chance to pass this outlet or want to have mouth watering biryani's. Just stop and pick up a parcel.
Old 6th February 2012, 15:27   #457
BHPian

Sangeetha veg restaurent, Thoraipakkam (OMR) is always crowded. May be there is no other good veg restaurent in near by areas. I have tried with family on Saturday at 3.00pm. Even that time it was fully occupied and had to wait for some time. There is ample car parking place (along road side). Food was good. Ambience was also fine except for the massive crowd.
Old 6th February 2012, 23:23   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamizha View Post
Last week i happen to go to this place "Crimson Chakra". Food was very good and so was the ambience. But it was priced a little on the higher side. Not very crowded. I guess its run by actress revathy.

They have this offer. if all girls gang its 10% discount and if you register in their website and show them the acknowledgement 10% discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
I went with my wife and friends - and I didnt like a single dish I are. Probably bad selection, but I wont go there again. Too expensive too.
Crimson Chakra is a different style. You have to carefully choose what to order. Best to take help from the staff. I liked it. Quite place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was treated to a meal at the new Mounts Rd Raintree yesterday evening!

Very good buffet. I'm happy to be able to say that I don't know the price.
Try the Up North on roof, very good food. I have never enjoyed Punjabi Veg dishes like I had in Up North. I rate it above Chola Sheraton North West Frontier. And the ambience is awesome.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 6th February 2012 at 23:24.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:42   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Try the Up North on roof, very good food. I have never enjoyed Punjabi Veg dishes like I had in Up North. I rate it above Chola Sheraton North West Frontier. And the ambience is awesome.
Very true. Totally impressed with the ambience (got the corner seat), views, service and the food.
Paneer tikka was lip smacking. THE best one I've ever had.
Some of them in the platter was average.
Of course, price was on the higher side.
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:07   #460

Can you guys list out the good beach side restaurants in Chennai? I was looking for a complete list, but haven't been able to find one yet.
I know and have been to the Bay View (sea food restaurant) in Fisherman's cove.
Anything similar (close by the shore) and light weight on the wallet?
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:32   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
... I am a regular to their chennai outlet in Arcot Road , Vadapalani for more than 2 yrs now ...
Where exactly is it on Arcot road, Marlon ? I would like to try it out. Do you get good mutton biriyani as well, or is it only chicken?
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:22   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Another one for the non-vegies...

Going out for my wife and I (she's veggie anyway) usually means Rs.150 on a couple of dosas or other tiffin items. 5-star eating is not on the normal horizon for either of us. i was given a treat a couple of weeks ago with an invitation to dinner at the Marriot Courtyard. The favourite food that I most miss from UK is lamb (as in sheep, not goat). I can report that the Courtyard's lamb was very nice indeed
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:46   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Where exactly is it on Arcot road, Marlon ? I would like to try it out. Do you get good mutton biriyani as well, or is it only chicken?
It is opposite Saravana Bhavan when coming from Vadapalani Signal proceeding towards Kodambakkam. Mutton Briyani is the favorite. Sunday's be there at 11.30 am else you will return empty handed.
Another good news, they are opening a fine dining restaurant in anna nagar. Saw a ad in todays paper.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:30   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S. View Post
Can you guys list out the good beach side restaurants in Chennai? I was looking for a complete list, but haven't been able to find one yet.
I know and have been to the Bay View (sea food restaurant) in Fisherman's cove.
Anything similar (close by the shore) and light weight on the wallet?
There are lot of small eat outs at the Elliots (besant nagar) Beach. But they are not relaxed 'middle aged people' place. But for the college and the just out of college kind of crowd.

You can try the thiruvanmiyur beach. There are 3 restaurants that have cropped up in the recent past. They are not exactly on the sea shore, a road separates the place and the beach. There is a 'Sanjha Chulha',then a chinese place 'Wangs or something like that and a Zaica. Or the old fav. italian - Bella Ciao.

Haven't tried the food there except for Bella Ciao. Just know these places are there.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:36   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
There are lot of small eat outs at the Elliots (besant nagar) Beach. But they are not relaxed 'middle aged people' place. But for the college and the just out of college kind of crowd.

You can try the thiruvanmiyur beach. There are 3 restaurants that have cropped up in the recent past. They are not exactly on the sea shore, a road separates the place and the beach. There is a 'Sanjha Chulha',then a chinese place 'Wangs or something like that and a Zaica. Or the old fav. italian - Bella Ciao.

Haven't tried the food there except for Bella Ciao. Just know these places are there.
Thanks Archish, have been to all of them but they are not on the shores. Besant nagar restaurants used to be very local few years back and they have got new looks now.
Are there any restaurants by the beach especially in the ECR?

Most Viewed