Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 13:42   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
It is opposite Saravana Bhavan when coming from Vadapalani Signal proceeding towards Kodambakkam. Mutton Briyani is the favorite. Sunday's be there at 11.30 am else you will return empty handed.
Another good news, they are opening a fine dining restaurant in anna nagar. Saw a ad in todays paper.
Thanks for the info, Marlon ! I should definitely try this soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S. View Post
...Are there any restaurants by the beach especially in the ECR?
Apart from the sea-food-speciality restaurant at Fisherman's Cove (now Taj Vivanta), I have heard about a similar one at the Temple Bay, Mamallapuram. It is supposed to be good.

I am sure there will be beach-side restaurants in the many resorts near to Mamallapuram on ECR.
Old 25th May 2012, 01:19   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S. View Post
Thanks Archish, have been to all of them but they are not on the shores. Besant nagar restaurants used to be very local few years back and they have got new looks now.
Are there any restaurants by the beach especially in the ECR?
You should try Moonrakers in Mahabs. Not on sea shore but close to it. Amazing sea foods.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:07   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Apart from the sea-food-speciality restaurant at Fisherman's Cove (now Taj Vivanta), I have heard about a similar one at the Temple Bay, Mamallapuram. It is supposed to be good.

I am sure there will be beach-side restaurants in the many resorts near to Mamallapuram on ECR.
Yes, there are many with resorts, but not separate walk-in ones as far as I know like the Goan beach restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
You should try Moonrakers in Mahabs. Not on sea shore but close to it. Amazing sea foods.
Moonrakers - I have heard about it, should try it once. Truth is that I am looking for sea side restaurants and not sea food restaurants. I'm mid way between vegetarian and non-v. Egg eater!!

Thanks Blue Thunder and Marlon anyways.

I have been looking for a (budget) place that will serve good food, beach side and allow us to camp by the beach (our own), but haven't known one so far :|
Old 25th May 2012, 22:38   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Moonrakers is greatly over-rated.

It is fine for youngsters who want a place with the atmosphere of a pub, but still, the food is nothing special. For a start, you have to not mind being surrounded by smokers while you eat --- which is something I mind even when not eating.

Although in the same family, the place just across the road is better.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 25th May 2012 at 22:40.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:12   #470
BHPian

Message up front - The Holy Smoke in Thoraipakkam on OMR - absolutely pathetic service and attitude!!

We live on OMR and decided to go out for dinner yesterday evening. We had a pamphlet for The Holy Smoke in Thoraipakkam and my wife was keen on checking them out. She calls them up sometime late afternoon and books a table for 3 - expected time of arrival 7:15 - 7:30 pm. The guy at the other end is affirmative and very confident.

So, we land up at 7:30 pm and we are a bit surprised to see the restaurant completely empty. One of the waiter walk over and places the menu on our table and we are told - only buffet, no a-la-carte. Alright, we say and we go through the menu. Seems interesting and we ask the price, since it was not mentioned anywhere. Rs. 525/- per head we are told. It is a few minutes since we walked in still we are the only people in the restaurant. Never mind, we tell the waiter we will go for the vegetarian and ask him if the food is ready. Our man says yes.

Alsright, we walk up to the buffet table and what do we see? - No food!!!
We are like shocked and we ask the guy who looks like he is in-charge. Where is the food?! - he says it will be ready in 10-15 minutes!!

Can you imagine their callousness?!!
1. They accept a table booking for 7:15 - 7:30 pm over the phone. They could at least mentioned that food will be ready by 7:45 pm or whatever. We would have arrived a while later.
2. After we have seated ourselves, the waiter tells us that food is ready and does not even bother to tell us that it will be a while before it is placed on the buffet table.
3. Communication is absolutely pathetic and no one seems to be bothered in the least. People are just walking around and seem to be least bothered that dinner guests will be walking in.

I cannot imagine a restaurant which does not have dinner ready at 7:30 pm!!

We just walked out of the place and went straight across the road to Mainland China and had a fantastic buffet.

Lesson learnt - never step into The Holy Smoke again!!
Old 31st May 2012, 13:57   #471

Holy cow!!
There were plans to go to that restaurant shortly and thanks for the enlightening us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
Message up front - The Holy Smoke in Thoraipakkam on OMR - absolutely pathetic service and attitude!!

Lesson learnt - never step into The Holy Smoke again!!
Old 31st May 2012, 15:34   #472
BHPian

Thanks Man, even I was planning to go there....
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:54   #473
BHPian

Tried Opan Inn on Nungambakkam High Road (Hotel Ranjith Complex).

Had Non-veg platter for starters (prawns, fish, lamb and chicken in good quantity), Special Chiken biriyani (with boneless chicken 65 peices), Prawn spice masala, Cheese nan (for the kid) and Egg drop soup.

One word - Awesome. I would rate them 10/10 for the taste, ambience and the service
Price - expensive (i spent Rs. 1800 for 2 adults+1 kid)
Valet parking available.
Old 23rd June 2012, 17:35   #474
Senior - BHPian

Last sunday me and one of my friend had dinner in Singhs. Earlier there was restaurant kwality riviera, opposite to gandhinagar bus stand adyar, which is now taken over by some punjabi gentleman. This was one of the worst food i have had in my life. My friend is vegetarian and i was not much hungry so i thot of ordering veg only. We ordered stuffed mushroom for starter, we were served cold as in fridge cold dish.When we asked it was taken and warmed in oven, the mushroom was really cooked more than 5-6 hours back.

Then we ordered chola and batura. This was even worst than the starter, batura was like papad and in chola there was no gravy at all. Then we just told that bring the bill and we will leave, we didnt even touched the food because it was not eatable at all. Then the owner came saw everything and asked the waiter to bring butter naan, no idea why she didnt asked to make the batura again and served us naan. well the naan was eatable but it wasnt naan, it was roti with butter.

They also gave stuffed kulcha as good gesture which was equally bad. we just had lil naan and left the place. I never had food which was soo bad, even service was not good.

We usually have dinner at bessy or ECR, but that day we thought of trying some new place
Old 24th June 2012, 10:56   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
We went there 2 weeks before, I can say service is pathetic but food is really great much much better than Barbeque Nation. It seems to be a new staff and new resto that could be the issue. I went for Lunch and indeed the place is empty. You can give another shot
Old 9th July 2012, 10:31   #476
Senior - BHPian

Recently visited Yokos on Kadhar Nawaz Khan road. We went as a group of 10 to the restaurant. We were all alone for most part of our dining time.
All the soups we had were really yummy! For starters, we ordered chicken cutlets with fries and mutton cutlet with fries. While the chicken cutlets were served with a topping of pepper sauce and were awesome, the mutton cutlets were dry and pathetic! We all ordered different sizzlers for our maincourse. The sizzlers were good, but I would still rate the Kobe sizzlers above the Yoko's sizzlers. The steak sizzler was juicy and yummy, one of the best steaks I have had in Chennai till date. The cost was about 660 per head. Very decent for what we had.
Caution: Pastas and Pasta based sizzlers are overtly sweet and please stay away from the mutton cutlets!

Last edited by aravind.anand : 9th July 2012 at 10:33.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:22   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Kryptos, Nungambakkam.

What I liked: The food was, basically, good, although "starters" (eg Meze) at a London Greek restaurant leaves you wondering if you can eat anything else for a whole week, let alone that evening. They gave me a birthday cake which turned out to be the best chocolate cake I've ever eaten in Chennai. My lamb dish was real lamb (sheep not goat) and delicious.

What I didn't like: the waiter insisted on not letting my wife order what she wanted. Intrusive overhelpfulness. Anyway, she liked what she eventually got. Taking cutlery off the plate and putting it back on the table to be used again is a basic hygiene no-no: they should know better.

Whilst it doesn't seem to have the attention to detail that Tuscana has, it was till a good night out at reasonable prices.

Will go again.
Old 22nd July 2012, 13:01   #478
BHPian

Amaravathi Andhra restaurant is one of the worst places i have dined so far!
The dishes are very , very expensive & they offer very little quantity!
For Chettiand restaurants, i would suggest Ponnusamy & Anjappar! They are really good & the dishes are reasonably priced!
Old 16th August 2012, 22:07   #479
BHPian

Try drizzle in ecr. In nelangarai i think. It is on the right hand side if you are going towards mahabs. The food is a bit expensive(For me atleast!) and they serve alcohol and seesha too. Try the rock chicken there. Excellent dish. And if i suggest any veg restaurants around adyar the mods will ban me because it would be marketing on the forum
Old 18th August 2012, 22:47   #480
BHPian

tried out the "Ente Keralam" in Chennai . Nice place for anyone who would like to have a Kerala cuisine.
Do try out the "kappa vevichathu" (tapioca) with tellicherry meen curry (Tellicherry fish curry).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks