Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 21:24   #526
ZMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post

Phoenix Market City has also been opened in Chennai on Velacherry Main Road. Have tried Nandos, amazing food a must visit for chicken lovers.

The other restaurant I tried there was ID (Idli Dosa), very good south Indian food.

The food court in Phoenix is not that good, I prefer Express Avenue Food Coart any day.
Oops my bad. Never thought the chances of the same international restaurant ( not mcd types) will be in a mall by the same name in a different city.
Anyways glad to know. :-D
Old 11th June 2013, 20:52   #527
BHPian

Just had a meal at subway Express Avenue mall. These guys are charging 4 times for "double meat" option. Watch out the bill before you pay!!
79 rupees normally for double meat per 6 inch sub and 158 on a footlong. Instead they charge 158 for each 6 incher sub!!!!
And that's robbery. Even before I found this out the bill was corrected for wrong value in tune for 100 bucks already !!!
Old 11th June 2013, 21:18   #528
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Recently tried Buhari's at Chrompet, the restaurant has decent ambience, though it tends to get pretty noisy as the crowd fills up.

Soup: We ordered the Aatu Kaal soup ( mutton leg soup ) which lacked both salt and spiciness, was very average.

Starters: Buhari Chicken roast or something, was spiced rightly, was tasty, but the quantity for the Rs.150 they charged was too small, barely keeping the two guys on the table happy!

Main Course: We ordered parotta ( not the parantha! ) and pepper paya, the gravy was perfect and the parotta was made outta Atta, so was light and delicious as well! Main course was impressive.

Desserts: We had Falooda, which the waiter suggested, it was neat, but nothing to be overtly excited about!

Overall: Its a good place for having a quick main course only meal, but a strictly average place to go with your family.

PS: I am a big fan of Nando's and the restaurant chain having entered Chennai through the Phoenix mall is news to me, so I know where I would be heading to this weekend!

Still waiting for a SubWay ( Very big fan! ) outlet near Chrompet / Tambaram, the closest one right now is either the one at Velacherry, or at Guindy Industrial estate! Come on Subway, speed up now!

Last edited by aravind.anand : 11th June 2013 at 21:25.
Old 11th June 2013, 22:29   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Recently tried Buhari's at Chrompet, the restaurant has decent ambience, though it tends to get pretty noisy as the crowd fills up.

Soup: We ordered the Aatu Kaal soup ( mutton leg soup ) which lacked both salt and spiciness, was very average.

Starters: Buhari Chicken roast or something, was spiced rightly, was tasty, but the quantity for the Rs.150 they charged was too small, barely keeping the two guys on the table happy!

Main Course: We ordered parotta ( not the parantha! ) and pepper paya, the gravy was perfect and the parotta was made outta Atta, so was light and delicious as well! Main course was impressive.

Desserts: We had Falooda, which the waiter suggested, it was neat, but nothing to be overtly excited about!

Overall: Its a good place for having a quick main course only meal, but a strictly average place to go with your family.
Dude, you should have had what Buhari is famous for! The Biryani!
One of the best places in the city to have biryani.
The Egmore one, anna nagar one and the mount road one are really good. GN chetty road branch is not that good, i mean.. The food over there isn't on par with the other branches.
Old 11th June 2013, 22:37   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
One of the best places in the city to have biryani.
The Egmore one, anna nagar one and the mount road one are really good. GN chetty road branch is not that good, i mean.. The food over there isn't on par with the other branches.
I did have Briyani, at the Buhari opposite to the Railway station. It was tasty, but again nothing to get very excited with And since I had Briyani from Velu Briyani Kadai ( under the Pallavaram flyover ) th previous night, I wanted to try something different at Buhari's the following night. Any pointers on the Briyani at this particular outlet?
Old 17th June 2013, 17:01   #531
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, the Buhari opp Central used to be famous for barotta/chicken-curry during the early 90s. Havent been there recently. But I had been to the Vadapalani and TNagar outlets in the recent past : the parotta varities (Keema parotta, for eg) are good along with the mutton and chicken side-dishes. The biriyani at Buhari is nothing to drool over about nowadays, I guess.

Anyone knows any road-side joints which serve good Katti rolls and/or momos ?

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 17th June 2013 at 17:07.
Old 17th June 2013, 19:47   #532
BHPian

Does the Buhariopposite Central still have the famous "Mutton Samosa" ? They were supposedly good
Old 17th June 2013, 20:45   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I thought they are more famous for Chicken 65. Also ceylon parotta as the owner had originally shut his shop in Colombo and relocated here.
Old 18th June 2013, 15:54   #534
Senior - BHPian

Visited Nando's over the weekend, as planned ( The foodie in me is not as lazy as I am ) And yes, the food was delicious as usual. I ordered the favourites from my last visit to Nando's at Bengaluru - Lemon grass peri-peri sauce flavoured chicken and the Citru bliss juice. The ambience is very good here too, much like the one at Bengaluru Acendos. There was a live band performing to Hotel California, Nothing Else matters and the like... The food kept me and my friend satisfied, but the bill was a little on the high side, at 1762 Rs. for 2 ppl who ate quite a lot, of which exactly 1500 was for the food and beverages we had and 262 was for tax! But the experience was more than just satisfactory. Will visit the place again for sure, but will save my visits to occassions, as it is pretty expensive.
Old 23rd June 2013, 19:28   #535
BHPian

One of the best American/Italian restaurants in Chennai has got to be Eatalica. Their food is just sublime and it isn't even one bit expensive.
It's in R A Puram opposite Sangeetha.
If you love burgers, then try the Tommy Lee Bones. That's how they name their food. The burger I've mentioned is their best Chicken Burger. Also have the chilli cheese fries, that's just as awesome.
Old 24th June 2013, 14:12   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
IIRC, the Buhari opp Central used to be famous for barotta/chicken-curry during the early 90s. Havent been there recently. But I had been to the Vadapalani and TNagar outlets in the recent past : the parotta varities (Keema parotta, for eg) are good along with the mutton and chicken side-dishes. The biriyani at Buhari is nothing to drool over about nowadays, I guess.

Anyone knows any road-side joints which serve good Katti rolls and/or momos ?
There is one road side joint selling chicken Momos somewhere opposite to Adyar Bakery in Adyar. But it is nothing much to write home about.

There is one Buhari in the side streets of Adyar too. But their Biryani is again nothing much. I have been hunting for a real good biryani in Madras for the past 5 years and couldn't find one joint. With powercuts in TN, the meat is getting rubbery in almost all hotels.
Come to think about it, Hotel Runs in Adyar still serves decent Non-veg food at reasonable price.
Old 15th July 2013, 14:31   #537
Senior - BHPian

Idiyaappam with chicken stew @ Hotel Crescent at Adyar signal. Excellent ! The meat is just the way it should be in a stew...without any gravy, with just the right amount of salt/pepper, cooked well in coconut milk/broth .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
There is one road side joint selling chicken Momos somewhere opposite to Adyar Bakery in Adyar. But it is nothing much to write home about...
Thanks! Will check them out soon.

Quote:
...I have been hunting for a real good biryani in Madras for the past 5 years and couldn't find one joint. ...
I have had some of the best biriyani in the city at small road-side joints. There are a couple of places in and around Richie street that sell excellent biriyani during lunch time.

Quote:
...Come to think about it, Hotel Runs in Adyar still serves decent Non-veg food at reasonable price.
used to be a regular there during 2005/6. Excellent non-veg food.
Old 1st August 2013, 23:29   #538
BHPian

Spoon Bill -TTK Road. International Street Food. Worth a try. Small parking space.

Sea Shell -Pondy Bazar. Grilled Pepper Chicken. Yum. Moderate parking space.

Vestin Park- Velachery. Sundar Brunch. Fantastic. Ample parking space.

The kipling cafe - ECR. Outdoor theme based joint. Serves Liquor.( Dont drink and drive) . Descent-Good Joint. Ample Parking space.

The Hilton Chennai for one of the best Idly and Filter Coffee. Ample Parking Space.
Old 1st August 2013, 23:49   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The kipling cafe - ECR. Outdoor theme based joint.
Don't be in a hurry, the service is slow. If you're not in a hurry then this isn't a problem, as the ambience is very pleasant.

Food... ok but nothing special.
Old 2nd August 2013, 17:26   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Don't be in a hurry, the service is slow. If you're not in a hurry then this isn't a problem, as the ambience is very pleasant.

Food... ok but nothing special.
And they have a treat for your vintage 2 wheeler loving eyes too!

Most Viewed