Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 00:59   #496
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR

Nihari Bazar

A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR-920069_10151628431190993_1864640405_o.jpg
Old 11th June 2013, 02:57   #497
BHPian

What all can we get away with in this country?

Since a similar experience happened with me, I can understand these people's plight.

Have a read.

http://lempexperience.blogspot.in

This influx of new money has really brought in a lot of arrogance in people. The lawlessness is horrid. Police seems to work only in Crime Patrol and not in incidents like these.
Old 11th June 2013, 06:25   #498
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post
Since a similar experience happened with me, I can understand these people's plight.

Have a read.

http://lempexperience.blogspot.in

This influx of new money has really brought in a lot of arrogance in people. The lawlessness is horrid. Police seems to work only in Crime Patrol and not in incidents like these.
Basically if you want to eat out and have a predictable, enjoyable experience, just stay with the established brand name restaurants and hotels. Going to these odd ball third class places in the Gurgaon Malls is asking for trouble.
While at the moment the South of India thankfully is free of this kind of rubbish, it is only a matter of time before it starts happening here.
The thing is that most of these erstwhile landowners/ farming types have reached huge riches by dumping their land to the developers. The real estate political nexus is one of the things that are causing this much angst to regular working blokes like the rest of us. The big irony is that our taxes fuel this country and this is what we get back!
Haryana has been lawless and notorious for the last twenty five to thirty years so this is nothing new.
New money, lack of education, lack of respect, lack of class, dishonesty, lawlessness, 'dadagiri' are the new behaviour standards. The world now has no place for 'gentlemen'. It is the age of the robber baron...
India is becoming more and more unbearable by the day.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:04   #499
BHPian

Re: What all can we get away with in this country?

That really was a horrible experience indeed. They should have left as soon as they smelled something was wrong when neither the Hawaiian lunch was available nor was the music.

South India is NOT free of such rubbish. Hyderabad is full of arrogant businessmen that won't usually be found in malls. You'll find them in little sweet shops, to bakeries, established names, and more. Sometimes, these guys will manage to make it to the mall and will make your life miserable.

I've had a sweet shop owner throw my money back and ask for change while looking elsewhere. Really, why doesn't anyone keep change here? If no one tenders change, where are WE supposed to get it from?

A bakery guy rudely refusing to accept polite feedback that his pizza didn't taste as good as it did earlier.

A frankie guy adding "Extra Cheese" without asking, and charging for it. Refused to agree it was his mistake and picked up argument. Another customer quietly paid up. Till date, I'm not clear if the board meant "Cheese - extra" or "Extra Cheese" for Rs.15.

A mall security guy that wouldn't let me in because of the way I was dressed and the stupid reason he has to offer when I spoke back in "English".

A lot of such mini incidents together added to a overall sense of aversion to all businessmen in general and has lead me to remain in the comfort of my house more often than not. I don't want my money to help these idiots grow their business.

On the positive side, I've been cooking new food more often and not to say, I save so much money

Last edited by hellmet : 11th June 2013 at 10:05.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:12   #500
BHPian

A lot worse could have happened.And people get away with a lot worse.
Its just that 'ignorance is bliss', for most people until they come face to face with such 'reality'.

In India you need to be alert all the time.you come across crooks everyday . And theyre waiting to pounce on the vulnerable to rid them of their money/dignity.

Any utopian fantasies of 'free speech', 'honest policing everywhere' are misplaced. The only places where there is some rule of law are UTs because there seems to be lesser political influence.And more accountability and more citizen activism.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:44   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
New money, lack of education, lack of respect, lack of class, dishonesty, lawlessness, 'dadagiri' are the new behaviour standards. The world now has no place for 'gentlemen'. It is the age of the robber baron...
Ughh.. Looks like you sir have just taken a trip to Pune.
We Punekars were relatively free of this non-sense , right upto 5 or 7 years ago. Culture, values and education were what earned you respect across classes, not your thug quotient. Their numbers have recently exploded.

Some rants about them in the Pune Traffic Thread :

Quote:
These "Guntha-mantris" are a huuuuge menace to civil society. Selling their ancestral land has given them truckloads of easy money and a ticket to be a grand thug. Ofcourse, during their annual appraisals,these thugs get promoted to small time politicians, with big time egos.
Even though they dress similarly in a starched white shirt+gold*(glasses+bracelets+chains+rings) , their hierarchy can be determined by their respective white car. White Fortuner>White Scorpio>White Swift VDi.
99.99% with a fancy number plate and opaque black tints all around.
Their offences to us Pune Motorists include :
- Gross disregard for rules.
- High Beams.
- Gross disregard for their own safety as well as that of fellow motorists.
- Inflated egos and ready to get physical at the drop of a hat.
- Policemen on their payroll.

Burning vehicles of people who rub them in the wrong way seems to be their favorite modus operandi.
Not paid chanda for their hooliganism? Burn their vehicles.
Objected to their loud music and processions? Burn their vehicles.
Made eye contact? Burn their vehicles.

The cancer of the Guntha Mantris is spreading to all of Pune, especially the fringe areas. Thanks to enormous political patronage, this growth is never going to be arrested, and anarchy is only going to increase exponentially.

I hate what has happened to my city.
(Link to the original discussion)

Trouble is , their minions and future generations have them as role models, and taking this route to "success" beats the "other one" hands down.

PS : My car was recently t-boned by a Safari full of politico-goons.

PPS : I could do nothing about it.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:48   #502
Senior - BHPian

After going through the link, one thing is clear: That "hotel" is just a front.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:23   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

These are the ones on MG Road, no/
One of the many reasons I have decided to miss out on quite a few movies is because I was late, and the only places playing them were in Gurgaon. This stretch especially seems to be a hotbed of incidents.
The businessmen in these malls are mostly new money guys who had no business sense, but suddenly came into a lot of money, so have zero understanding as to what a customer means to a business.
Thats why I stick to Ambiance for movies, if at all, and hang a U-Turn for CP for dinner.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:25   #504
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR

I'm sure you guys have come across this experience on FB but am posting it here as well. This is a horrid experience for a customer:

http://lempexperience.blogspot.in/
Old 11th June 2013, 11:34   #505
Senior - BHPian

In spite of reading review these guys went to the place - I can only say these guys asked for it. Anyone NOT living in a dream world KNOWS that India is one of the MOST LAWLESS countries in the world.

And a girl not wearing a burka in Gurgaon/Delhi/NOIDA expects guys not to stare?
Wake up!

Please.
Remember that law exists in only on papers to pacify the common man. Otherwise frustrated common man would "take law in his hands" and then the high and mighty will have a huge problem maintaining their lifestyles and arrogance. It's just a front, like Democracy. Just to pacify the masses.

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th June 2013 at 11:35.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:50   #506
Senior - BHPian

Sad realization that we live in an unsafe today and even for a pethetic tomorrow. Democracy has no meaning these days and its just money ruling India. No wonder the INR value dropped again, situation is not promising at all.

Living in south, the condition is not that bad I think but these situations are to be avoided for sure. I feel people forgot about an expression called "Smile", all are busy counting money but unless one value customer how long can they count money? Its very clear that this hotel is not intended for business but something else. May be the darker side is what pooling in money.

Last edited by jacs : 11th June 2013 at 11:51.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:12   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
That really was a horrible experience indeed. They should have left as soon as they smelled something was wrong when neither the Hawaiian lunch was available nor was the music.
The incidents you stated, though you call them mini, I get easily disturbed even by a petty incidence such as an arrogant ricksha driver.

Such incidences, experienced by me or heard from someone else make me loathe India even more. And when people say "India is Great" I always say "Really? You Serious?"

As other BHP-ians have stated, we regular-class people have no other option but to move over of such incidences and try and forget them asap for our good. Cuz, such people have no other jobs in their lives but to go around and pick up fights with those who can't match them(both physically and in 'contacts'). They can give all their time to give you a hard-time but you can't afford to match them cuz we have n-number of other commitments in our lives.

At times, I take 5-6 or sometimes even 8-9 days to move on from the bad memories of such incidences. Not to mention the incidence stays engraved on my mind for a long time.
That's why I just avoid shady restaurants or late night ventures when with a female friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Basically if you want to eat out and have a predictable, enjoyable experience, just stay with the established brand name restaurants and hotels. Going to these odd ball third class places in the Gurgaon Malls is asking for trouble.
Gurgaon and other North Indian towns and cities are really very unsafe (Sorry, BHP-ians from Delhi,Gurgaon and N.India don't mean to offend) for late night ventures or if you have a female accompanying you esp. if you are alone.

I really hate the current crime-scene in N.India. I have hatred of the highest order for these towns but we are so helpless that we can do nothing about it but try and stay safe from such goons and anti-social elements.

I myself have been a victim to an incident where we were orally-abused by two drunken goons at a dhaba-type hotel just on the outskirts of Bombay. Got very scared of the incidence.
I still remember, I was opposed to the idea of going there as I am a complete teetotaler but when you have the majority of friends who want to drink you just can't control their determination to have those drinks Luckily we got out safely when the hotel staff intervened. But it could have got much worse cuz there were two girls with us and they were the target of those goons.

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 11th June 2013 at 12:14.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:16   #508
BHPian

Ive faced such arrogance from a mall manager in Bangalore who was a well schooled man (my brother's junior) as I later found out. But sadly the transition from small shops to a big mall in India's Silicon valley, seemed to have messed up his head. Such was his arrogance and condescending attitude - he even threatened me with detention in his office, just because I crossed his EGO on the way to the top floor and wasnt wearing a suit. I was alone, he had his paid guards well I just calmly exited the situation. This happened way back when I went to book tickets for first day first show of Dark Knight and I still remember everything vividly.

Customer service these days has taken a turn for the worst and in a lawless country like ours, this is only going to go on further. Having lived in Delhi for a while, I can feel Bangalore is catching up and will be there in another ten years if not earlier. Arrogance is now getting to be a virtue as is dishonesty.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 11th June 2013 at 12:19.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:55   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
The incidents you stated, though you call them mini, I get easily disturbed even by a petty incidence such as an arrogant ricksha driver.
I do get disturbed, and I'm sure every normal person would too. But the secret is to not let that get to you (I'm still learning). This might be a good read : http://zenhabits.net/gah/
Old 11th June 2013, 14:44   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I do get disturbed, and I'm sure every normal person would too. But the secret is to not let that get to you (I'm still learning). This might be a good read : http://zenhabits.net/gah/
Seeing the link's name "zenhabits" I guessed on what lines it would be and it was what I thought. Quite a nice read.
Will try incorporate it in daily situations.
Even my past incidences would have been much different had I acted based on the given guidelines(thought this just while reading).
Thanks for the share.

-Bhargav

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks