Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 12:45   #346
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR

Ploof in Lodhi Colony Market (right next to the famous Lodhi Sports)

When you step inside at first it feels like a typical deli, with lots of cold cuts being displayed out of a freezer and general firang packed snacks.

But sit down, rather, take the stair case and sit on the first floor. Its an open air airconditioned cafe, upstairs. Refreshing. and because the market is not a crowded market and the area has very little ambient noise, it feels very different from your regular Delhi do's.

The food is excellent. I do not remember what exactly I have had over the 3 times I have been there, but once I had the crabs (regular, in butter garlic) and they were superb. And then once I had the smoked trout, which was excellent..almost like straight out of Johnson's Cafe in Manali.

Whatever my friends have had, they have also been very impressed. Service is adequate; no they won't jump at your finger. It is more like a casual cafe-restaurant where you spend the saturday afternoon with a couple of friends.

Smoking is allowed in the upstairs section. And they also have an assortment of cold cuts and cheeses. Food- general conti style. Cost - 350-400 for main course items.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:19   #347
Senior - BHPian

Here are some of my favourite places

1. Mughlai
- Karim at Jamma Masjid. Best for their barbecue tandoori dishes - Barra Kebab, Sheek Kebab. I also like their brain curry with tandoori roti
- Road side at Kureshi in Alaknanda, in front of Don Bosco School

2. Chinese
a) Expensive
- Taipan at Oberoi. Their Dim sum Lunch is excellent but gone up in price lately. I somehow never appreciated Chinese at the Taj hotels.
b) Moderate
- Chi at Select City Walk and in SDA market in front of IIT gate
- Sidewalk at Khan Market and Chanakya Puri. I prefer the Chanakya Puri one as there is always parking available.
- Sunday Lunch Buffet at the Yum Yum Tree, Friends Colony Market.
c) Inexpensive
- Culinair in GK-II

3. Kebabs
- The Great Kakab Factory, Noida
- Saleem's at Kailash Colony Market for Chicken Kalmi Kababs
- Karim at Jamma Masjid

4. Japanese
- Saturday Lunch Buffet at the Shangrila Hotel. Excellent Sushi and Sashami along with Teppanyaki, Thai and Chinese dishes. Started with 1200, now it is 2K or more, but worth it especially if you like Sashami.

Last edited by DerAlte : 23rd June 2011 at 17:41. Reason: Please read the posting rules regarding unmentionables. Offending part excised.
Aroy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th August 2011, 17:45   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

How did I miss this?
Probably because I was too busy gorging to drop in!!

For pure desi punjabi style tandoor :
1. first and foremost, rajinder, in safdurjang enclave, across the street from the club, next to erstwile kamal(?).
2. head over to meherchand market, lodhi road. a couple of shops right before the CCD.They open up only around 7pm, and wind-up by 11, really cheap and yum wings.

Then for student style food(the one that is prepared within 10 minutes, and finished in another 10), head for Qutub institutional area, for the second dhaba in front of FORE.

The American Diner at IHC: good food, menu's inspired by an american diner's but prep is mixed with indian. Doesnt click with some, but i like it.

Nirula's PP at CP outer circle for the continental buffet.

Yum yum Tree at NFC for the duck.

Pebble street in NFC for the hawaiian salad and the races.

hmmmmmm.
Old 11th November 2011, 12:37   #349
BHPian

PUNJAB GRILL (AMBIENCE MALL)..WORST EXPERIENCE EVER..BEWARE

Had worst experience at Gurgaon's outlet yesterday night at my birthday... On my wife's request we thought of trying out Punjab Grill in ambience mall last night to have dinner plus a small cake cut ceremony for for my birthday.
1. To start with seats offered were dirty had left overs of food from the people who were sitting there prior to us. It was offered to us after 5 minutes wait which they claim to have taken to clean up after which left over of food was still there all over the floor, when asked to clean waiter dusted it out twords us only.
2. We cut the cake, ate and asked to put in back in the box once we were done, which they did. Fortunately or unfortunately there was one more group who were celebrating birthday and the waiter without even asking us took out the candles from our box and handed over to them. Its not that we could have said NO but its a basic courtesy expected from such brand.
3. As my wife is found of kebabs, we ordered NON-VEG Kebab platter, and shockingly what we got is mutton chop, chicken tikka, fish finger, tandoori chicken (2pc each) Rs 750. God knows in which country these are called KEBABS??.
4. To make things worst tandoori chicken was half cooked and had even blood in it, when complained to the manager about everything he bought again 4 pc's of tandoori chicken in 5 minutes which are claimed to be well done but the story inside the same half cooked.
5. After this we lost hope of having anything better but to surprise mutton rarha was very nicely made.
6. Than came the billing part, as my company have corporate tie-up with them i told them about the same, but again the discount given was 15% instead of 20% (as per tie we have 20% on al carte and 15% on buffet).

WELL THAT'S THE WHOLE STORY OF VISITING FIRST AND LAST TIME PUNJAB GRILL..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Board rule #11. Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking & driving, underage driving and street racing. Posts that don't abide by this view, or containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly), will not be entertained on the forum. This rule affects all posts from 1st Jan 2009 onwards.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th November 2011 at 12:59.
Old 11th November 2011, 13:38   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondymk3 View Post
PUNJAB GRILL (AMBIENCE MALL)..WORST EXPERIENCE EVER..BEWARE

Had worst experience at Gurgaon's outlet yesterday night at my birthday... On my wife's request we thought of trying out Punjab Grill in ambience mall last night to have dinner plus a small cake cut ceremony for for my birthday.
Thanks for the warning. I had tried to go once but was put off by the 1 hour waiting period.

When there is big rush, most of the smaller joints under cook the chicken, but it is not expected from such a reputed restaurant. That coupled with shoddy service, indicates that the management has lost grip and the popularity has gone to head. Thanks again for warning us, propagate the warning to all you meet!

I have always found the Karim's a much better gastronomical experience, though most of their outlets do not have that upper class ambiance. When we want good kebabs and curry, we go to Karim - either Malaviya Nagar of Jamma Masjid. If you want to dine in style, try the Nizamuddin outlet.

Another good joint for Mughlai food is the Moti Mahal in Greater Kailash-I market, of course nothing beats home cooked food.
Old 11th November 2011, 14:48   #351
BHPian

frankly saying, i have always found all editions of karim's except old del and nizammudin one not so good....

if u love karim's food then try "purani dilli" at zakir nagar. i am sure you will be visiting it many times after first visit as going to karim's at old del is not always possible....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Thanks for the warning. I had tried to go once but was put off by the 1 hour waiting period.

When there is big rush, most of the smaller joints under cook the chicken, but it is not expected from such a reputed restaurant. That coupled with shoddy service, indicates that the management has lost grip and the popularity has gone to head. Thanks again for warning us, propagate the warning to all you meet!

I have always found the Karim's a much better gastronomical experience, though most of their outlets do not have that upper class ambiance. When we want good kebabs and curry, we go to Karim - either Malaviya Nagar of Jamma Masjid. If you want to dine in style, try the Nizamuddin outlet.

Another good joint for Mughlai food is the Moti Mahal in Greater Kailash-I market, of course nothing beats home cooked food.
Old 11th November 2011, 15:49   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone tried this; Hell Pizza India ? Makes out-of-the-world pizzas (and a lot more besides)!
Old 11th November 2011, 15:54   #353
BHPian

Can anybody suggest good places to have chicken biryani in Delhi? Please don't suggest Deez - they are very average.
Old 11th November 2011, 16:38   #354
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof
Can anybody suggest good places to have chicken biryani in Delhi? Please don't suggest Deez - they are very average.
Alkauser near malai mandir in RK puram, right opposite vasant vihar. Check google maps. Excellent biryani.
Old 11th November 2011, 21:12   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Anyone tried this; Hell Pizza India ? Makes out-of-the-world pizzas (and a lot more besides)!
I walked past the outlet in GK-I couple of months ago when the work was ongoing. Had a chat with the manager and picked up the menu. Menu looked interesting to say the least. Now that you say they are good, a visit is a must this weekend. Will report back.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:33   #356
BHPian

well to put it in simple way....you can not find good biryani in delhi outside couple of 5 star and good restaurants and those one are not cheap enough to enjoy it frequently.

People do swear by matka peer biryani (next to BP petrol pump near pragati maidan) but if you are looking for taste of lucknowi biryani (or rather pulav) or hyd version then you won't find it good.

personally the best value for money one for me a AP bhavan and TN bhavan for their version of biryani.

Delhi biryanis are mostly oily and a lot more spicier.

For matka peer you need to order atleast 5-6 hrs in advance.

You do get some decent biryani in matka peer (chandni chowk) but primarily they are buff biryanis.

As for 5 star and likes : the biryani at dum pukth and Setz/Zest are quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Old 15th November 2011, 12:06   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79 View Post
well to put it in simple way....you can not find good biryani in delhi outside couple of 5 star and good restaurants and those one are not cheap enough to enjoy it frequently.

People do swear by matka peer biryani (next to BP petrol pump near pragati maidan) but if you are looking for taste of lucknowi biryani (or rather pulav) or hyd version then you won't find it good.

personally the best value for money one for me a AP bhavan and TN bhavan for their version of biryani.

You do get some decent biryani in matka peer (chandni chowk) but primarily they are buff biryanis.

As for 5 star and likes : the biryani at dum pukth and Setz/Zest are quite good.
Biryani is pretty easy to get right at home. I have also found dearth of good Biryani in Delhi. The best I have had is home both mine and at friends, whether Lucknow or Hyderabad versions. (Even Vir Sangvi commented on the dearth of good Biryani out side homes). If you are interested in the Hyderabad version You tube has excellent recipes.

Here is my version posted on another site Dum Biryani - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring
Old 15th November 2011, 12:39   #358
BHPian

hi ajay
I have seen your version on bcm when you posted it and even tried it
i agree the best briyanis are made in home only except when you are in lucknow where some of places do serve amazing stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Biryani is pretty easy to get right at home. I have also found dearth of good Biryani in Delhi. The best I have had is home both mine and at friends, whether Lucknow or Hyderabad versions. (Even Vir Sangvi commented on the dearth of good Biryani out side homes). If you are interested in the Hyderabad version You tube has excellent recipes.

Here is my version posted on another site Dum Biryani - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring
Old 15th November 2011, 15:28   #359
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79
hi ajay
I have seen your version on bcm when you posted it and even tried it
i agree the best briyanis are made in home only except when you are in lucknow where some of places do serve amazing stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79

I am telling you guys, try mutton biryani at alkauser in RK puram and you wil get the authentic taste of lucknowi biryani. Its also quite reasonable.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 15th November 2011 at 15:29.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:37   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
It has been 5+ years and I am still looking for a good biryani place..
Al Kauser and Karim's are ok... but I still get 4-5 packets (good for 2-3 meals) whenever I go to Lucknow, Hyderabad or Kolkata

Last edited by chinkara : 15th November 2011 at 17:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks