Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2012, 13:23   #436
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79 View Post

Just forgot to add in my previous post : had amazing Rabbit meat terrine at Rara Avis.

I had some superb gordon bleu there the other day. all the others enjoyed their food, except for the risotto (which was ok, nothing great). the french manager though sounded as if he was being rude to the employees (new place, i guess co ordination issues happen)
Old 31st October 2012, 20:52   #437
BHPian

Beef/Buff at INA market

no one's been eating out recently?

This is a Mallu secret. Cheap meat joint which serves beef/buff (never sure of that in Delhi). This is located at the end of INA market (if you are going towards AIIMS), behind the mattress shops. There are two mallu restaurants opposite each other there - go to the shadier one (the shadier one has generally a lady sitting the front, some bread pakoras in the glass counter, and faces the direction of the main road). Its basically a little inside from the metro station gate no.2.

Chicken/mutton/beef biryanis for around 100 bucks - beef fry for some similar amount - and lots of kerala parathas, and coke. 3 people completely full of non veg food at Rs.400.

It shuts down early around 10 pm.

Next, i will review the mallu dhaba in Sarai Julena/NFC.
Old 31st October 2012, 21:34   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin
no one's been eating out recently?

This is a Mallu secret. Cheap meat joint which serves beef/buff (never sure of that in Delhi). This is located at the end of INA market (if you are going towards AIIMS), behind the mattress shops. There are two mallu restaurants opposite each other there - go to the shadier one (the shadier one has generally a lady sitting the front, some bread pakoras in the glass counter, and faces the direction of the main road). Its basically a little inside from the metro station gate no.2.

Chicken/mutton/beef biryanis for around 100 bucks - beef fry for some similar amount - and lots of kerala parathas, and coke. 3 people completely full of non veg food at Rs.400.

It shuts down early around 10 pm.

Next, i will review the mallu dhaba in Sarai Julena/NFC.
This I know.
Its dirt cheap indulgence !
Just follow your nose, cos you can pass right across without knowing.
Old 1st November 2012, 00:09   #439
BHPian

Sexy chicken at IIFT dhaba

In winters one of my favourite places are the dhabas opposite IIFT. Its a nice quiet lane, there is a kabristan on one side, IIFT and other institutes on the other side. The prices used to be very reasonable till ranbir kapoor came one day to those dhabas, after that the prices have doubled and now there is a huge blowout of mr. kapoor at the dhaba.

what to have -
our standard order is of the following nature - keema paratha+onion paratha+egg bhurji+Sexy Chicken+coke+chai

Generally good parathas of all standard combos, and simple non veg.

quality - average
location - awesome
ambience - plastic chairs
prices- reasonable for Delhi

Of the number of dhabas on that lane, the one we prefer is the one right opposite the IIFT gate.

It gets very cold in that area at night.

Last edited by manolin : 1st November 2012 at 00:12.
Old 1st November 2012, 08:25   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin
In winters one of my favourite places are the dhabas opposite IIFT. Its a nice quiet lane, there is a Kabrista--------------------------snip---------------------- Delhi

Of the number of dhabas on that lane, the one we prefer is the one right opposite the IIFT gate.

It gets very cold in that area at night.

You really are frequenting most of my college locales. When did ranbir Kapoor visit?
I miss the keema paranthas man.
And cold is right. It starts freezing about a month before the rest of the city.
Old 1st November 2012, 13:22   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

You really are frequenting most of my college locales. When did ranbir Kapoor visit?
I miss the keema paranthas man.
And cold is right. It starts freezing about a month before the rest of the city.
hahaha! Our man Ranbir visited around the time Rockstar was released. Boss, I am not from Delhi and so you know slowly over the course of living here for a year and half now have been trying to separate the chaff from the wheat when it comes to eating places; so please let us into your favourite places (especially college type cheap places - I have large soft corner for those). I am sick of wasting time in malls and have decided that come what may, I will avoid going to a mall to have food. So basically am dying for these niche food joint recommendations - keep them coming.
Old 1st November 2012, 14:09   #442
BHPian

made me remember my college days. Don't frequent that place anymore as i personally feel the quality has gone down a little :(

if you are planning to go to nfc side (for mallu joint : which is good) then do try carnatic cafe in nfc market (its in the mall which houses the cineplex) : very good dosas. Also, take a rick and go to zakir nagar and eat at purani dilli (haleem, nahari and changezi are good there)

Also, check out Novelty cafe (hawkers house) on birbal road in jangpura (near hdfc bank) for sandwiches. One of the best two shops for sandwiches (outside restaurants) in delhi. Their ham sandwich is excellent. The other sandwich shop is in old delhi. Let me know if you are interested (he makes very unique fruit sandwiches), i will let you know the directions

In delhi none of the malls have good eating out place. Btw now that winters are here, my visits to old delhi will become more frequent as that is still the mecca for good and cheap food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
hahaha! Our man Ranbir visited around the time Rockstar was released. Boss, I am not from Delhi and so you know slowly over the course of living here for a year and half now have been trying to separate the chaff from the wheat when it comes to eating places; so please let us into your favourite places (especially college type cheap places - I have large soft corner for those). I am sick of wasting time in malls and have decided that come what may, I will avoid going to a mall to have food. So basically am dying for these niche food joint recommendations - keep them coming.
Old 1st November 2012, 14:16   #443
BHPian

hey deeps, thanks a lot for the recos. Will be trying out all of the places you have mentioned since i haven't been to any of them - ek ke bad ek. Have heard a lot about the purani dilli place in Zakir Nagar.
Old 1st November 2012, 18:31   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hey deeps, thanks a lot for the recos. Will be trying out all of the places you have mentioned since i haven't been to any of them - ek ke bad ek. Have heard a lot about the purani dilli place in Zakir Nagar.
Well, start off with the mecca of south delhi non-veg, "Rajinder".
the redlight after safdurjang hospital(going towards hyatt), turn right, next red light right, its on your right.
Old 1st November 2012, 18:42   #445
Team-BHP Support

Its really annoying somebody visits and prices double.
For example, 3 idiots was shot at Pangong, and now they ask 2000rs/night for a tent in season(used to be 500!)
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:41   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a Mallu secret. Cheap meat joint which serves beef/buff (never sure of that in Delhi). . .
Agreed.. authentic Mallu.. very good!

Quote:
Well, start off with the mecca of south delhi non-veg, "Rajinder".
the redlight after safdurjang hospital(going towards hyatt), turn right, next red light right, its on your right.
Sirji, turn left from below the flyover..

Of late, there have been 2 additions next to Rajinder. Al-Kauser and Flamy Wings. Flamy wings is very good.. just the wings with different kind of sauces.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:53   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345

Agreed.. authentic Mallu.. very good!

Sirji, turn left from below the flyover..

Of late, there have been 2 additions next to Rajinder. Al-Kauser and Flamy Wings. Flamy wings is very good.. just the wings with different kind of sauces.
Oh yeah, sorry about that!!
He would have ended up in SN.
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:02   #448
BHPian

If you guys don't mind little run-down localities; visit Batla House (in Jamia) for excellent and cheap non-veg stuff.

Try mutton nihari and butter chicken at Moonis Kada, Al Umar's special chicken, buff kebabs bang opposite Al Umar and biryani at Al Nawaj.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:30   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
... Sirji, turn left from below the flyover ...
Is this somewhere near Kamal Cinema?

Rajinder Da Dhaba
AB-14,Safdarjung Enclave Mkt, Nauroji Nagar Marg,
Safdarjung Enclave, New Delhi 110029

Quote:
... He would have ended up in SN.
Yeah, approx. somewhere near SN Police Station!
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:34   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
If you guys don't mind little run-down localities; visit Batla House (in Jamia) for excellent and cheap non-veg stuff.

Try mutton nihari and butter chicken at Moonis Kada, Al Umar's special chicken, buff kebabs bang opposite Al Umar and biryani at Al Nawaj.
Arre yaar.. these are something I REALLY want to try out someday. You got my tastebuds running buddy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Is this somewhere near Kamal Cinema?
Spot on!! Its in Kamal Cinema compound only.

Last edited by DerAlte : 2nd November 2012 at 14:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks