Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2007, 15:01   #46
BHPian

Here is my input, apparently being a BIG food buff.

1. Lazeez Affaire - Malcha Marg (also GK and Def Col) - For some amazing kebab experience. The dal is good and the mutton is to die for.

2. Culinaire - The road-side restaurant in GK II - Chilled out with amazing chicken satay and green/red Thai curry (went there last night for the 3rd time this month)

3. Golden Dragon - Gurgaon - Must eat the prawns and spare ribs, LIP SMACKING!

4. Big Chill - Khan Market and East Of Kailash - Truly my idea of chilling out. I think I've had almost EVERYTHING on the menu there. Yes, that includes the desserts and mocktails as well.

5. Mainland China - Masjid Moth/GK II - Excellent authentic Chinese food, lovely ambiance and great service.

6. The Chinese - CP Middle Circle - Unlike the restaurants in CP, this one is classy and prim, with some mouth watering crackling spinach and super super spicy chilli garlic noodles.

7. Its Greek to me - Safdarjung Enclave market - Not authentic Greek food but somewhat close. The food is good (esp the choice) and has a nice lounge to chill (some what on the lines of Shalom)

8. Rice Bowl - Patel Nagar Market - Amazing Chinese but the location does not do justice.

9. Mughal Mahal - Sethi Bhawan-Rajendra Place - The best butter chicken in town. Those of you who have eaten will know what I mean.

10. Laidback Waters (its by Shalom) - Qutab Hotel - As the name suggests, a very loungy, chilled out place. Dimly lit and low seating and that moroccon touch. Serve some delicious cocktails.

11. Yellow Brick Road - Coffee shop of The Ambassador Hotel - Have the fresh watermelon juice and the Thai curry!

12. Larry's China - The Ambassador Hotel - AUTHENTIC Chinese!

13. Smoke House Grill - Masjid Moth/GK II (next to Mainland China) - The hottest watering hole, with super american food. Try the flavored Mojitos for sure.

14. All American Diner - India Habitat Center - Awesome American food. Have had almost everything here as well. Must eat - Bacon strips and just about everything else.

15. Veda - CP Outer Circle (Rohit Bal product) - Amazing choice of wines, small food menu but its HOT!

16. Sartoria - Basant Lok, Vasant Vihar - One of the better places for Italian, very authentic feel and super ambiance. The wines are too good.

17. Arabian Nites (Vasant Vihar) / Arabian Delight (Def Col) - For the doners. And the Jo Jo kebabs, available at Arabian Delight

18. Lemon Tree - Gurgaon - Go eat an English breakfast here. Only competitor for the All American Diner in this respect.

Phew! I will stop here, though I do have more places to mention but most of them have already been covered before.

Been and eaten at ALL the places mentioned by all the members, except Karims. Ya I know, I'll go!

Cheers

Last edited by ankitahuja : 26th May 2007 at 15:09.
Old 26th May 2007, 16:48   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Here is my input, apparently being a BIG food buff.

1. Lazeez Affaire - Malcha Marg (also GK and Def Col) - For some amazing kebab experience. The dal is good and the mutton is to die for.

2. Culinaire - The road-side restaurant in GK II - Chilled out with amazing chicken satay and green/red Thai curry (went there last night for the 3rd time this month)

3. Golden Dragon - Gurgaon - Must eat the prawns and spare ribs, LIP SMACKING!

4. Big Chill - Khan Market and East Of Kailash - Truly my idea of chilling out. I think I've had almost EVERYTHING on the menu there. Yes, that includes the desserts and mocktails as well.

5. Mainland China - Masjid Moth/GK II - Excellent authentic Chinese food, lovely ambiance and great service.

6. The Chinese - CP Middle Circle - Unlike the restaurants in CP, this one is classy and prim, with some mouth watering crackling spinach and super super spicy chilli garlic noodles.

7. Its Greek to me - Safdarjung Enclave market - Not authentic Greek food but somewhat close. The food is good (esp the choice) and has a nice lounge to chill (some what on the lines of Shalom)

8. Rice Bowl - Patel Nagar Market - Amazing Chinese but the location does not do justice.

9. Mughal Mahal - Sethi Bhawan-Rajendra Place - The best butter chicken in town. Those of you who have eaten will know what I mean.

10. Laidback Waters (its by Shalom) - Qutab Hotel - As the name suggests, a very loungy, chilled out place. Dimly lit and low seating and that moroccon touch. Serve some delicious cocktails.

11. Yellow Brick Road - Coffee shop of The Ambassador Hotel - Have the fresh watermelon juice and the Thai curry!

12. Larry's China - The Ambassador Hotel - AUTHENTIC Chinese!

13. Smoke House Grill - Masjid Moth/GK II (next to Mainland China) - The hottest watering hole, with super american food. Try the flavored Mojitos for sure.

14. All American Diner - India Habitat Center - Awesome American food. Have had almost everything here as well. Must eat - Bacon strips and just about everything else.

15. Veda - CP Outer Circle (Rohit Bal product) - Amazing choice of wines, small food menu but its HOT!

16. Sartoria - Basant Lok, Vasant Vihar - One of the better places for Italian, very authentic feel and super ambiance. The wines are too good.

17. Arabian Nites (Vasant Vihar) / Arabian Delight (Def Col) - For the doners. And the Jo Jo kebabs, available at Arabian Delight

18. Lemon Tree - Gurgaon - Go eat an English breakfast here. Only competitor for the All American Diner in this respect.

Phew! I will stop here, though I do have more places to mention but most of them have already been covered before.

Been and eaten at ALL the places mentioned by all the members, except Karims. Ya I know, I'll go!

Cheers
hey, Wheres this place ' LEMON TREE ' located in Gurgaon .... I luv the English breakas and Im sick and tired ( not really ) of American Diner !!

Cheers
Old 26th May 2007, 17:05   #48
BHPian

Location of The Citrus Cafe - The Lemon Tree Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
hey, Wheres this place ' LEMON TREE ' located in Gurgaon .... I luv the English breakas and Im sick and tired ( not really ) of American Diner !!

Cheers
On NH8 cross the Iffco flyover, straight down and exit on the left to South city (Signature towers).
A little ahead on that road and you'll see the Lemon Tree hotel on your left hand side. Its in there, The Citrus Cafe is the coffee shop.

From GOOGLE:
Address: The Lemon Tree Hotel, 287 Millennium City Center, Sector 29, HUDA Gurgaon 122001, Haryana

Location: The Lemon Tree Hotel in Gurgaon is located in the Millennium City Center of Gurgaon and is also close to the National highway number- 8. the other commercial centers near the hotel are Signature Towers, Unitech Business Park, Unitech Trade Center and Millennium Towers.
Old 27th May 2007, 02:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Of course how could I forget these! Arabian & YBR have been old time favourites of mine & really like Laidback Waters ambience if not the food (I don't eat sea food much).

Also Ankit you do know that now Machan's menu (another great coffee shop located at the Taj Mansingh) is the same as YBR's? Both still serve the great Thai curry!!!

Another coffee shop to try is one at The Grand (forget the name), they have a killer buffet & do a fantastic Clear Chicken Soup! And yes their fresh breads are to die for, some of the best I've had!

Have also been hearing a lot about the Shangri-La's coffee shop, think I need to try it out soon. Also, does anybody know whether Olive is still sealed or open now? Loved that place & am craving for their ambience & stone oven Pizzas!!

And guys as a seperate tip if you want to experience a truly fine hotel (one of the finest I've been to ever) please visit The Imperial at Janpath. It is an experience in itself & am sure most of you will feel the same way. The old world decor, the staff getup, the Marble, Brass, Leather & Wood decor combo ensure this is one place you'll love. Do check it out sometime all those who haven't done so yet!

P.S. Ankit - Sartoria is in the Priya complex right?

Last edited by iraghava : 27th May 2007 at 02:39.
Old 27th May 2007, 03:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Maybe these food threads should be shut at night or something. I've had 3 sandwiches and a glass of Pepsi in the last half hour, and I'm still drooling over my keyboard. Can the mods please do something about this?!
Old 27th May 2007, 03:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Maybe these food threads should be shut at night or something. I've had 3 sandwiches and a glass of Pepsi in the last half hour, and I'm still drooling over my keyboard. Can the mods please do something about this?!
Tell me about it!! Couldn't even get any dinner as I reached home at 12am after picking up my mum & so no dinner! Gonna have to sleep hungry after reading all this!
Old 27th May 2007, 03:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
1. Al-Kauser Outer Ring Road/Chanakya Puri/Punjabi Bagh (Of course the crowd favourite in Delhi!)

2. Deez Biryani Defence Colony/Gurgaon/Preet Vihar - Amazing Mutton Biryani cooked & served in an authentic Clay pot, what aroma & taste!! Steer clear of their Seekh Kabas though.

3. Old man Karim's Jama Masjid/Noida/Nizamuddin/East of Kailash - Some great Mughlai Non-Veg food & very, very famous. Best food is still served in their Jama Masjid branch but it's a little in the interiors and the area is not everyone's cup of tea.

4. Culinaire GK-II, S-Block market - A small, quaint restaurant in GK-II S-block just up the road from M-Block market. Serves the finest Crispy Honey Chicken in town and good Chinese food too.

5. Punjabi By Nature Vasant Kunj/Noida/Punjabi Bagh - Excellent Mughlai again with the pick being the Kastoori Kebab, heavenly!!!

6. Khan Chacha - Located in a bylane in Khan Market, amzing rolls! The Mutton tikka is my personal favourite.

7. Baby Dragon - A small restaurant in Sec 18 market, Noida. Excellent Chinese & Thai curries, very reasonable too. Highly recommended!!

8. Big Chill, East of Kailash/Khan Market - A crowd favourite, though I don't like it much.

9. Shalom, GK-I N-Block Market - Amazing ambience and good food too! Perfect place to take your date to for a nice night out. Expensive though.

10. Kasbah, GK-I N-Block Market - The food is good there especially the Italian & Indian sections. Personal favourite is the thin crust Pepperoni Pizza, Yum!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Once when in Delhi, friends had taken me out to one place called "Puppy Machchi Wala" or something where a burly sardar looking nothing like a puppy was churning out fresh fried seafood and meat by the quintal. I think it was near Rajouri Garden. There's a place like this is Bombay called 'Jai Jawan' opposite National College, Bandra. Killer fried prawns, and a 100% candidacy for bypass surgery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
1. Nizams- Double Chicken single egg kathi kabab roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
1)Kebab Factory in radison hotel and punjabi bagh

2)More than parantha in FBD

3) Ipsha Chicken Corner NIT Faridabad (butter chicken)

4) Chickenette Sec 15 Faridabad

5) Billo Lassi wala NIT Faridabad

Guys, I am moving to delhi. Tell me where to sign. I hope no visas are required & no ECNR stuff too.
Old 27th May 2007, 07:53   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, does anybody know whether Olive is still sealed or open now?
Your stupid MCD sealed them too.

Anyways, some of the better chinese food I've eaten is at Tea House of the August Moon at the Taj Palace. I would recommend this place anytime, to anyone. Absolutely Superb!
Before we had our guesthouse I stayed a few times at Hotel Nikko (Bangla road or something?) they had one of the earliest ALL japanese restaurants, Excellent food, madly expensive, I remember. A meal for 3, with a bottle of decent wine came to 12500/- (The wine was for 3500/-)
Old 27th May 2007, 08:01   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
A meal for 3, with a bottle of decent wine came to 12500/- (The wine was for 3500/-)

For the more common folks like me, a bill of 12,500 would lean a lot more in favour of the wine than on the food.
Old 27th May 2007, 14:45   #55
BHPian

Eat Eat Eat More

Quote:
Of course how could I forget these! Arabian & YBR have been old time favourites of mine & really like Laidback Waters ambience if not the food (I don't eat sea food much).

Also Ankit you do know that now Machan's menu (another great coffee shop located at the Taj Mansingh) is the same as YBR's? Both still serve the great Thai curry!!!

Another coffee shop to try is one at The Grand (forget the name), they have a killer buffet & do a fantastic Clear Chicken Soup! And yes their fresh breads are to die for, some of the best I've had!

Have also been hearing a lot about the Shangri-La's coffee shop, think I need to try it out soon. Also, does anybody know whether Olive is still sealed or open now? Loved that place & am craving for their ambience & stone oven Pizzas!!

And guys as a seperate tip if you want to experience a truly fine hotel (one of the finest I've been to ever) please visit The Imperial at Janpath. It is an experience in itself & am sure most of you will feel the same way. The old world decor, the staff getup, the Marble, Brass, Leather & Wood decor combo ensure this is one place you'll love. Do check it out sometime all those who haven't done so yet!

P.S. Ankit - Sartoria is in the Priya complex right?
Ya Ishan, you got that correct. Sartoria is at the back-side area where Nirulas is located.
There is another place called KYLIN right there, awesome music, super ambiance with the dim lit aura and oriental food (great Sushi). It has a roof top open air dining experience. Go drinking if no food - A "MUST GO" place!

Machan brings back some real good memories, one of the finest "Bulls Eye" you can get. Or to eat the Chicken Lababdar after Ricks, even heard the Pav Bhaaji is great there. I'm definitely going there to get my hands on the Thai curry now

Ok Olive is still shut and I see no hope of this place opening up again (for a long time to come). Talking about Olive, it reminds me of 2 more amazing places which unfortunately are ALSO shut now

A. Thai Wok which was a minute away from Olive and was my favourite. The roof top dining with the candle lights and the angeethis in winters and the parties I've attended there, aah. The Thai food can not be compared!

B. I don't know if any one of you heard or been to Moshe's Oliva (was located in the Munirka's Capital Court building). It had a good menu and lip smacking desserts. The fresh breads here, Ishan, were to die for too (you know how we love making a side bowl with the olive oils + soya and chilli)

about the Shangri-La's coffee shop, been hearing a LOT about it and also totally agree with what you said about the Imperial Hotel, its a real treat and work of art.

MY BRAIN IS WORKING AGAIN:

New additions -
contd..

19. Italic - Vasant Vihar C-Block market - Place and ambiance is very okish but the food is good. Come - Sit - Eat - Leave - Period

20. Lodhi Garden Restaurant - Lodhi Road - Its got some finest Mediterranean food I've had in Delhi. Used to be an amazing Indian restaurant initially but changed to European, Mediterranean by popular demand. It's glass all around!

21. Kylin - Basant Lok, Vasant Vihar (detailed above)

22. Mist - The Park Hotel, CP - This coffee shop has a good mix of food, with some great platters, pizzas and a super duper prawn curry. Sharaab is good too!

23. Kabila Restaurant - Aurbindo Market Complex - ONLY Dal Makhni and Reshmi Kebab with butter garlic naan and chutney and sirke waala pyaaz, need I say more?

24. Ego (with 3-4 variants) - New Friends Colony Market - I like Ego Lounge the best with the candle lights and lounge music and salute to Jonnie Walker BL!

25. Chandini Chowk ki chaat papri - :-D

I'm salivating now, must leave or will have to buy a new keyboard!

Will add more later...

Quote:

Anyways, some of the better chinese food I've eaten is at Tea House of the August Moon at the Taj Palace. I would recommend this place anytime, to anyone. Absolutely Superb!
Right on Sam, Tea House is one of the best Chinese places in Delhi.
Old 27th May 2007, 15:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what is happening here....Bombay wale is telling Delhi wale that a place is closed in Delhi....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 27th May 2007 at 15:20.
Old 27th May 2007, 23:01   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
2. Dhabas opposite IIFT : About to be closed down by Supreme court
Hey tsk, you sure about that?
Old 27th May 2007, 23:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

try the Liberty (theatre) kebabwalla. He has the most awesome "PATTE-DAANE" a kabuli speciality made of fat wrapped mutton liver, then cooked in the tandoor...YUMMY!! also great for chops marinated only in salt pepper garlic and ginger. true blue good.
Also try the Mutton at Civil Lines. its called Authority Meat.
Old 27th May 2007, 23:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know Sam, I was just conforming whether it is still sealed or not.

Quote:
Before we had our guesthouse I stayed a few times at Hotel Nikko (Bangla road or something?) they had one of the earliest ALL japanese restaurants, Excellent food, madly expensive, I remember.
Yes, Sam they were one of the first ones in Delhi, quite good I believe.

Quote:
There is another place called KYLIN right there, awesome music, super ambiance with the dim lit aura and oriental food (great Sushi). It has a roof top open air dining experience. Go drinking if no food - A "MUST GO" place!

20. Lodhi Garden Restaurant - Lodhi Road - Its got some finest Mediterranean food I've had in Delhi.

21. Kylin - Basant Lok, Vasant Vihar (detailed above)
Good, thanks for the tips gotta check out this places, soon!!!

Quote:
22. Mist - The Park Hotel, CP - This coffee shop has a good mix of food, with some great platters, pizzas and a super duper prawn curry. Sharaab is good too!
Yeah, it's nice but kind of small spacewise.

Quote:
23. Kabila Restaurant - Aurbindo Market Complex - ONLY Dal Makhni and Reshmi Kebab with butter garlic naan and chutney and sirke waala pyaaz, need I say more?
Oh man, this place brings back memories, I used to have dinner very, very often at Kabila about a decade or so back! There used to be live music & the food was good too! Haven't been there for atleast the past 11 years or so, maybe I need to go sometime now!

Quote:
24. Ego (with 3-4 variants) - New Friends Colony Market - I like Ego Lounge the best with the candle lights and lounge music and salute to Jonnie Walker BL!
I actually like their Thai outlet more, awesome Thai food & very good decor too!
Old 29th May 2007, 13:22   #60
BHPian

some nice once and some very bad ones on the list here the worst being comesum( completely agree with IR on his assesment)

Moti Mahal - the original in GK 1 M block opp prince paan
Moksh (the burrah kebab is amazing)
pebble street
Saleem kailash colony market .. same league as sanjha chula but i refer saleem a very authentic mughlai flavor .
Al kauser
Larry's at hotel ambasador
Machan - all time fav hangout the taste has not changes
Pavillion ( at maurya) for their sunday champagne lunch buffet

newest pizza place - sabbaro in nehru place at the satyam cineplex -- order a ny style pizza (pie- as they call it in ny) mmmmmmmmmmmm brings back memories

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks