Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:27   #91
BHPian

Re: What are some iconic restaurants/eateries in your city?

I am neither connected nor promoting this website, but came across it a while ago and found to be a good starting point. The website captures details of a lot of restaurants across Kerala though not necessarily all of them fall into the category mentioned here.

http://tastyspots.com/
Old 2nd April 2019, 19:46   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Thus, I'm initiating this thread to capture the various restaurants, which might be missed otherwise when someone is visiting a city or town, or might not be listed in the online recommendations.

In this thread, instead of the new and bubbly eateries, I'm sticking to those which have something the new ones may not - heritage and memories.

Iconic Restaurants of Kolkata :

1. Bar-B-Q
2. Jai Hind Dhaba
3. Arsalan
Kolkata has many such restaurants to be visited for heritage and memories. Peter Cat, Mocambo and Bar-B-Q on Park Street, Anadi Cabin, Paramount for some lovely sherbets, Royal on Chitpur Road... The list is endless.

Last month, BHPian Babuda and I, with our families, landed up at the Mocambo on Park Street - and managed to ruin our good memories of that place, thanks to a spot of racism and some fake food.

A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta)-mocambo4.jpeg
This dish is called Angels on Horseback - fillet of chicken wrapped in bacon and served on a bed of chicken and sausage risotto, as the menu says. The bed of rice in the pic is nowhere close to a risotto, and is more like a pilaf/pulao.

Mocambo heritage meant that certain beverages are served in pewter mugs, which enhances the taste. We expected that, but were served in highball glasses. We considered that that part of the heritage had been lost. Then, along came a group of foreigners at the next table, and those pewter mugs made their appearance!

A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta)-mocambo5.jpeg

On checking with the manager, we were told the pewter mugs had gone for polishing. And here they are, miraculously back into service at the sight of white skin!

Heritage and memories be damned, I'm never going back to Mocambo again.
Old 2nd April 2019, 20:06   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Heritage and memories be damned, I'm never going back to Mocambo again.
I had a similar experience with mocambo in kolkatta a few years back, and swore never to go back either. I would have probably punched a few people in there, but held back.

Such places should just be rammed on social media with a blitz they never ought to forget.
Old 3rd April 2019, 00:19   #94
BHPian

Have become a fan of Bappida's Momos which is located opposite the bus stand at Karunamoyee, Salt Lake. The number of people standing in front of his stall is directly proportional to his popularity. Alongside him, there are a number of moms sellers, including one who sells from a food van, but no one comes close to Bappida.

Thanks Bhpian Techo9000 for getting me hooked.
Old 13th August 2019, 17:35   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I had a similar experience with mocambo in kolkatta a few years back, and swore never to go back either. I would have probably punched a few people in there, but held back.

Such places should just be rammed on social media with a blitz they never ought to forget.
And here I was planning to dine at Mocambo for my upcoming trip to Kolkata.
Racism & in Kolkata, what era are the owners living in ! Did you post your negative feedback in tripadvisor & other such forums. See such feedback are extremely effective.
So Mocomabo you have lost a future customer. Thanks guys for this heads up. Maybe will go to Bar-B-Q then.
Old 19th August 2019, 19:32   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Kolkata has many such restaurants to be visited for heritage and memories. Peter Cat, Mocambo and Bar-B-Q on Park Street, Anadi Cabin, Paramount for some lovely sherbets, Royal on Chitpur Road... The list is endless.

Last month, BHPian Babuda and I, with our families, landed up at the Mocambo on Park Street.........Heritage and memories be damned, I'm never going back to Mocambo again.
I was saddened after reading your post. Like many probashi Bengalis, Kolkata holds a deep fascination for us, and our own happy memories too included Mocambo. It is deeply revolting to think that such an otherwise egalitarian city should harbour inverted racism of this kind. Bengal's colonial heritage may still be alive in pockets.

Last edited by shashanka : 19th August 2019 at 19:34.
Old 19th August 2019, 20:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
And here I was planning to dine at Mocambo for my upcoming trip to Kolkata.
Racism & in Kolkata, what era are the owners living in ! Did you post your negative feedback in tripadvisor & other such forums. See such feedback are extremely effective.
So Mocomabo you have lost a future customer. Thanks guys for this heads up. Maybe will go to Bar-B-Q then.
Try Peter Cat. The quality of food is still quite exceptional , and the chelo kabab is a must have- a full meal in itself l .
Old 7th September 2019, 20:51   #98
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta)

Mughlai - I won't recommend Arsalan over Shiraz, in isolation, Arsalan is good, but Shiraz trumps it. More so in service. Had eaten at Zeeshan many years ago, so don't recall much of it.

Chinese - Will avoid Beijing. Jam packed and food was below average.
Old 24th September 2019, 21:21   #99
BHPian

I'm in Kolkata for few days. Tried these restaurants:

1> Marco polo at Park street. Tried their crepe stuffed with spinach, paneer, corn, etc. A veg dish. Was pretty good.

Their crispy spring rolls was totally forgettable though.

2> Peter cat at Park street area. Tried their veg. chelo kabab. Quite good.

Seeing the Mocambo reviews above, didn't bother going there. Will scan around the above conversations to find other places I can visit while here.
Old 24th September 2019, 21:36   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I'm in Kolkata for few days. Tried these restaurants:

1> Marco polo at Park street. Tried their crepe stuffed with spinach, paneer, corn, etc. A veg dish. Was pretty good.

Their crispy spring rolls was totally forgettable though.

2> Peter cat at Park street area. Tried their veg. chelo kabab. Quite good.

Seeing the Mocambo reviews above, didn't bother going there. Will scan around the above conversations to find other places I can visit while here.
A few recommendations from folks and my experience from a recent trip at this thread (Offbeat things to do in Kolkata with family?)

Enjoy!
Old 24th September 2019, 22:25   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
A few recommendations from folks and my experience from a recent trip at this thread (Offbeat things to do in Kolkata with family?)
Thanks for sharing the link to the thread. Checking it out now. Trying to squeeze in a Shantiniketan trip while in Kolkata.

6 Ballygunge place is on the bucket list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks