Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2007, 12:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

How come no one's talking of Flury's and Sky Room ??
I've grown up eating there.
Old 28th May 2007, 12:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Much obliged if anyone can heli-lift some of those delicious original Bengali rosogollas to my house I'll in turn, send some Karnataka delicacies like Mysore Pak to the helpful gent.
Why don't you airlift yourself to Calcutta for a few days, we will make sure that you eat to your hearts content. We'll stuff you with so many delicacies, that you will not miss it for a long time. That ought to hold you up till your next visit.
Old 28th May 2007, 12:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Flury's not what it used to be. Patties and breads still rule, but otherwise the food quality has gone down considerably.
Old 28th May 2007, 13:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I've grown up eating there.
ooops! completely missed out ....Flury's have recently been modified (hehehe) ...and is a great hogging joint for cakes, pastries. so u r from Cal too?
Old 28th May 2007, 14:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
ooops! completely missed out ....Flury's have recently been modified (hehehe) ...and is a great hogging joint for cakes, pastries. so u r from Cal too?
Born in Calcutta, in the year 1954!! Shifted to Bombay in 1960.
still go to Cal every year, BUT, get flury's Asparagus roll/sanwiches and breads till date with anybody from the family coming to Mumbai!!
Tiwari's Samosa with Lassi, reli singhs khus or gulab serbat, lake aloo dum,
gangurams sandesh, list goes on , you lucky calcuttaites
Old 28th May 2007, 14:16   #21
BHPian

one of my absolute favourites is Mocambos
i love the food there

btw, i noticed someone posted Kewpies.
how many of you have eateb there and what was it like??
Old 28th May 2007, 14:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Maggie, Come with me when I go to Kolkata next time, You can have as many rosogullas u want...plus misti doi and other sweets....

Abhi
Deal. Next time you goeth me cometh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
MAG, there's a 6 Ballygunge place here too - in Indiranagar 12th main, where you can eat your fill.
Thanks Ajit. Will try that till Abhi gets me some made-in-Bengal stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Why don't you airlift yourself to Calcutta for a few days, we will make sure that you eat to your hearts content. We'll stuff you with so many delicacies, that you will not miss it for a long time. That ought to hold you up till your next visit.
Fact is, most airlines consider me as check-in luggage. Very uncomfortable seating there you see.
Old 28th May 2007, 15:09   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Much obliged if anyone can heli-lift some of those delicious original Bengali rosogollas to my house I'll in turn, send some Karnataka delicacies like Mysore Pak to the helpful gent.
Go heli-lift yourself to KC das opposite koshy's. the rosogollas are just like kolkatta.

I usually get the sandesh's from kolkatta and the misti doi. My dad usually carries a matka bought either from Gupta brothers or nepal sweets I think.
Old 28th May 2007, 16:04   #24
Team-BHP Support

By the way, since someone talked of cakes, pastries and bakery delicacies let me say I just love Nahoum's. The rich plum cake is superb, methinks...

Edit: Waise Kathleen is also ok, but nothing like what it used to be when I was a kid. Nahoums though still remains out of the world.

Last edited by Zappo : 28th May 2007 at 16:05.
Old 28th May 2007, 16:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
By the way, since someone talked of cakes, pastries and bakery delicacies let me say I just love Nahoum's. The rich plum cake is superb, methinks...

Edit: Waise Kathleen is also ok, but nothing like what it used to be when I was a kid. Nahoums though still remains out of the world.
You forgot Cookie Jar
Old 28th May 2007, 16:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

like toiingg said - all you guys come down to kolkata one day and we can surely arrange for a meet at the Tea Junction for a cup of tea, then to Mags for some beer and finally to Mocambo for Chicken Strogenoff or Chello Kabab @ Peter Cat .... or simply gather at Vivekananda Park (off southern avenue) for Doi-Phuchka / plain phuchka or pani puri / Aloor Dum / Chaat with Masala Shikhanji. and if the meet is on Thrusday / Friday / Saturday - we can drive down to Princeton for more beer (& some eye refreshments & live music - ok i know SomePlaceElse is much better).
Old 28th May 2007, 18:23   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
like toiingg said - all you guys come down to kolkata one day and we can surely arrange for a meet at the Tea Junction for a cup of tea, then to Mags for some beer and finally to Mocambo for Chicken Strogenoff or Chello Kabab @ Peter Cat .... or simply gather at Vivekananda Park (off southern avenue) for Doi-Phuchka / plain phuchka or pani puri / Aloor Dum / Chaat with Masala Shikhanji. and if the meet is on Thrusday / Friday / Saturday - we can drive down to Princeton for more beer (& some eye refreshments & live music - ok i know SomePlaceElse is much better).
Sounds great buddy. Will be one heck of an affair for sure. By the way those Vivekananda Park phuchka places are motherlessly costly yaar. I mean for such park side setups the costs can rival any big time phuchka place in a chic mall Last time my wife almost fainted when the guy gave her aloo dum in a dona (there were some 7-8 pieces of aloo) and charged Rs.40 0r something. hee hee heeee. And to top it all potatoes were going some Rs7 a kg at that time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
You forgot the cookie jar
Yeah of course. cookie jar. I think they have changed their name now, right? Is it called cakes or some such thing?
Old 28th May 2007, 18:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Guys long ago my aunt used to get me Chinese Spicy sausages from Calcutta. They were something else. Sausages with masala, chillies, vinegar and onions and stuff. A tad better than the goan ones but these guys were meant to be cooked the sausage way not the goan sausage way. Then I remember the stick jaws from flurry's and the almond horse shoes. Not to mention the Chocolate truffles ... Are they still all there? and what about the momos outside new market and the superb Chinese joints at Tengra(India's best Chinese cuisine is from and in Calcutta).... MMMM, Mudi, pucchka woww!!

Last edited by V-16 : 28th May 2007 at 18:52.
Old 28th May 2007, 18:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

@ V-16 - i dont like chinese food that much, but then China Town (Tangra) has lots of restaurants which are indeed very good namely, Kim-Ling, Village Oak, China Garden (CG - our watering hole during college days). @shuvd has lots of memorable events of CG, like the Ikonic Problem with his 2 days old ikon.

Kwality is another restaurant and they are quite good. one is at Ballygunge Furry and the other at Park Street.

Momo Plaza near Elgin road x SP Mukherjee Rd is good - i dont like momo that much.

for evening snacks - Grub Club and Caffeine @ Gol Park off sothern avenue.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 28th May 2007 at 18:47.
Old 28th May 2007, 18:45   #30
Team-BHP Support

V-16 you are getting people nostalgic now. The joints then may not be there now (at least not all of them) but the traditions have. You still get great chinese stuff in Tangra. Mudi (and its various avatars like tel-muri, jhaalmudi, mashlamudi), phuchka and even momo are an integral part of bong nashta. so they still remain.

Momo is one thing though that seems to be vanishing fast. You still get them on special occassions/festival times but at other times many a erstwhile regular shops do not sell them anymore. For some it has simply vanished while for others although it still remains on the menu but is never available in actual.

Most Viewed