Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2021, 21:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Airtel, Vi have announced new tariffs | Time to queue recharges

I don't mind paying reasonable ARPU for 4g, considering that I am getting a lot more than I used to: unlimited calls, data (1.5 GB/day more than enough).

But it is a raw deal for those using only 2g phones. The minimal voice unlimited plan is bundled with data, costing 150 per month. Only BSNL or Jiophone basic is now suited for those.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 22:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

The market has been an oligopoly. IMO there won't be anything more than a few online rants about the hike, because they have limited the increment to the extent that Reliance would not find it attractive to incentivise plans to gain market share. Expect to see a sharp increase in revenues coming from the annual subscriptions.

Although without a doubt Jio "democratised" Data, they always did so to serve their own interest & purposes, wherein their market aggregation app can gain entry as a large player in various marketplaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Inflation hits everything so it was expected that telecom guys would raise tariffs sooner or later, expenses need to be passed down. Not good for the bottom of the pyramid but sadly thats the reality now.
They're likely gathering revenue to pay off their AGR dues. Hence the short notice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
...But it is a raw deal for those using only 2g phones. The minimal voice unlimited plan is bundled with data, costing 150 per month. Only BSNL or Jiophone basic is now suited for those.
There is very deep penetration in the 3/4G smartphone market. Ofcourse, usage exponentially increased post COVID. I'd come across the data a while back, will post here if I can find it. 2G phones are most likely to largely be secondary numbers & remote locations.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 23rd November 2021 at 22:15.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 01:47   #18
BANNED

Presently Airtel offers better coverage and 4g connectivity among all the present players in the market. And airtel is super fast in changing tariff amongst all. Jio connectivity is very inconsistent and not reliable. Day by day Vodafone 4g service is getting worst and moreover they are not at all taking any effort to improve 4g connectivity. I am stuck with Vodafone and idea both. No other options are available.
Somz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 09:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Does Airtel really allow to stack up the Charge Packs? I just recharged for a 1498 - 1 year pack and it seems to have made it Active already! Jio seems to show the stacked up packs correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somz View Post
Presently Airtel offers better coverage and 4g connectivity among all the present players in the market. And airtel is super fast in changing tariff amongst all. Jio connectivity is very inconsistent and not reliable.
I think this is dependent on the location and varies by location. In Bangalore City, Jio 4G has been very consistent for me and gives speeds higher than Airtel.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 10:46   #20
BHPian

Airtel does not stack unlimited plans. I know because I recharge four phones in the household on an annual basis, and those last 1-2 days are never added/extended.
Old 24th November 2021, 10:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Does Airtel really allow to stack up the Charge Packs? I just recharged for a 1498 - 1 year pack and it seems to have made it Active already! Jio seems to show the stacked up packs correctly.
Not sure what you mean by stacked up packs.

I just bought an Airtel pre-paid annual pack, and the expiry date has been adjusted (i.e 365 days+ previous pack expiry).
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 10:51   #22
BHPian

Yup the packs stack for Airtel. Stacked an annual plan for my dad.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 11:06   #23
BHPian

I think at least in vodafone, stacking only works if the next plan is same as your current plan. If it is different, then the new plan gets activated immediately and you lose benefits of the plan you were on before.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 11:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Not sure what you mean by stacked up packs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzydealhunter View Post
Yup the packs stack for Airtel. Stacked an annual plan for my dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I think at least in vodafone, stacking only works if the next plan is same as your current plan.
Airtel seems to have activated the plans for me immediately although what it displays is confusing - I was on the 379 plan and opted for the 1498 Annual Plan. It shows both 05-Dec-21 and 23-Nov-22 as end dates in different sections. Here are some screenshots from the Airtel App:

Airtel, Vi have announced new tariffs | Time to queue recharges-02.jpg

Airtel, Vi have announced new tariffs | Time to queue recharges-01.jpg
Scrolled Down Image
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 11:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

I read both Jio and Airtel have said they have to raise the average RPU to Rs 300 from where it is now. Jio also will definitely raise prices. I have one Airtel and one VI sims, so it is a double whammy.

The initial predatory practices by Jio were winked at by the government. Though it brought internet to the common man (as a corollary), its main purpose was to drive most of the competition out of business. Including the Tatas. We don't know how long VI will pull on, without infusion of funds from the parent which seems unlikely as of now. Once they too quit, we will be left with a duopoly, thanks to the government policies. We will have to shell out whatever they demand. So unless the likes of Facebook and Amazon enter the internet space in India, we will be paying more and more in the future.
Gansan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 12:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Airtel, Vi have announced new tariffs | Time to queue recharges

Quote:
Airtel seems to have activated the plans for me immediately although what it displays is confusing - I was on the 379 plan and opted for the 1498 Annual Plan. It shows both 05-Dec-21 and 23-Nov-22 as end dates in different sections. Here are some screenshots from the Airtel App:
Yes I observed it too, looks like they are activating it immediately regardless of the previous balance status. Bad move my Airtel !
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 13:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
... I was on the 379 plan and opted for the 1498 Annual Plan. It shows both 05-Dec-21 and 23-Nov-22 as end dates in different sections. Here are some screenshots from the Airtel App:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Yes I observed it too, looks like they are activating it immediately regardless of the previous balance status. Bad move my Airtel !
I was earlier on the 1498 plan, I bought the same plan again today, the expiry data has shifted from Feb '22 to Feb '23.
Perhaps, if there no change in plan, then the activation is stacked.
Airtel, Vi have announced new tariffs | Time to queue recharges-screenshot_20211124131123.png
Old 24th November 2021, 21:37   #28
BHPian

Vodafone and Airtel were both reeling under heavy losses since the past few years, especially after the havoc that Jio wreaked over the market. So, these tariff hikes are on expected lines. The ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) is already the lowest in India and the entry of Jio meant that it went down further for the competitors because even they had to lower their pricing to stay afloat.

Personally, I have always been happy with Airtel (a subscriber for over 15+ years now) and have also recently opted for Airtel Fiber internet for the house.

Jio was launched with a clear strategy of breaking the hegemony of the established players and it has been mighty successful. However, as can be now seen, after hooking millions of Indians to the internet, even Jio has slowly pushed it's tariff upward while services have deteriorated.

The less said about Vodafone (VI) the better. Was, is and will always be the worst. Period.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 10:21   #29
BHPian

This was very well known for a long time now, Airtel & Vi had warned that current prices weren't sustainable and they will be increasing tariffs.

I recently got a Jio number and Jio is way faster and better than Airtel at least in Delhi. The only hesitation that prevents me from converting primary no to Jio is the weak coverage in other parts of India.

BUT Most impressive thing is Airtel's marketing is on point

Airtel, Vi have announced new tariffs | Time to queue recharges-whatsapp-image-20211125-10.14.20-am.jpeg
Old 25th November 2021, 11:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I did the same and my account reflects the same as yours. However, I see this additional text for 2498 recharge (and not for 1498):

"Validity starts post current pack expiry"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks