Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 17:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

What if this happened to you?

An Israeli wildlife guide has overpowered an ageing leopard that jumped into his bed during the night.

Clad only in his night clothes, Arthur Du Mosch lunged at the big cat and grabbed its neck, pinning it down for 20 minutes until help arrived.

Read the full store here.

Nice tips for Mumbai guys especially those around and close to Borivili National Park and Mulund.
Old 29th May 2007, 19:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Might be a good idea for Nashik guys to read too. Two incidents in the recent months there.
Old 29th May 2007, 20:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Elephant robs motorists!!!

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - An elephant in eastern India has sparked complaints from motorists who accuse it of blocking traffic and refusing to allow vehicles to pass unless drivers give it food, a newspaper reported on Monday.

Read on:

http://uk.reuters.com/articlePrint?a...22507220070528
Old 29th May 2007, 20:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Elephant robs motorists!!!
Talk about bad influence,we humans have spoilt the animals too.
Old 29th May 2007, 20:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

LOLLLL @ the elephant. Read this in the newspaper today morning actually and found it hilarious. Good e-find Steer.
Old 29th May 2007, 21:09   #6
rks
BANNED

I have heard of other instances where leopards have been fought off by adults. They are a threat mainly to children. The general rule for dealing with hostile animals is to stand your ground and maintain eye contact. I believe even lions and tigers have gotten unnerved by this approach and let off people. Although it will not always work, especially if the animals are very hungry and determined. In any case do not try to run, particularly if elephants are involved. That will invite a chase and certain death shortly afterwards.

I have used this approach successfully in two domestic cases -- against a very hostile dog that had bared its teeth and was growling in full glory and against a monkey near Nandi Hills that took a crouching stance and was growling and baring its teeth when I tried to shoo it off; I was having some eatables in my hands. I froze and stared down the animals in both cases. It is fatal to panic and scream and run, which women and children often do. And another golden rule in case of monkeys -- do not try to shoo them off unless you have a stick in your hands (in which case they keep their respectful distance). I learnt this the hard way.

Last edited by rks : 29th May 2007 at 21:22.
Old 29th May 2007, 21:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

I tried to follow that approach of standing the ground and maintaining eye contact(wich rks mentioned). It happened when i was around 12 years old. There was a dog which was called "paagal kutta"lol which used to run after children and even had bitten a couple of them. One day he decided that i would be his next hunt. He grabbed my pullover with his teeth and made all sought of growling sounds. I stood my ground, and paused my breathing. I still tried not to panic. Bystanders just watched in great surprise, the way i was staying calm. But what happened after that, one of my friend hit him with a stone, and tried to run.. the dog got off me and started chasing him. But thank god there was a tree on which the boy climbed, and the dog couldnt do anything.. hehe..

it turned out later that the Dog had Rabies!
anyways, all is well that ends well hehe

Last edited by DCEite : 29th May 2007 at 21:28.
Old 29th May 2007, 21:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
It is fatal to panic and scream and run, which women and children often do. And another golden rule in case of monkeys -- do not try to shoo them off unless you have a stick in your hands (in which case they keep their respectful distance). I learnt this the hard way.
ROTFLMAO! What happened, Sir?

TypeO (or should I say TypeOne as you are popularly known? ),

Good to see a light thread after recent flame wars!
Old 29th May 2007, 21:33   #9
BANNED

Guys, its a known fact that leopards are shy animals and usually refrain from any contact with humans unless they have turned into man eaters , or they not getting enuff food .

Sam might remember that we told him when he came to Kotgarh that when u spot an leopard ( which is pretty common in our area ) , the best thing is to look away and carry on walking . Ive had three experiences -- once I was on the bike at 11 pm , I took a turn flat out only to have a leopard in my path , only I know how I avoided hitting the damn bugger -- other i was in a van so not much threat -- 3rd was when 2 of us were walking back at night to my house ... we saw him at the last min , he was about 10 ft from us -- we literally did yellow our pants , but we didnt break intoa run -- just looked the other way -- prayed - and carried on walking . And we are both safe and sound ....... Though its the BEAR that Im terrfied of .. not BEER but the animal BEAR , he attacks for no reason .

Us humans have taken over their habitats so chances of human - animal inter actions have gone up . I don't blame them .....
Old 29th May 2007, 21:36   #10
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
ROTFLMAO! What happened, Sir?
It is the same incident near Nandi Hills that I cited. The male monkey (leader of the pack) was aggressively approaching me for some eatables in my hands. At which point I raised my hand, threatening to hit it and made shooing noises. It did not work and the monkey then started growling and took a crouching stance as if to attack. After I stared down the monkey, it relaxed and pushed off. The locals then advised me to always carry a stick to deal with monkeys. It works too.

Last edited by rks : 29th May 2007 at 21:39.
Old 29th May 2007, 21:41   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
. The locals then advised me to always carry a stick to deal with monkeys. It works too.
Well , I have to tell you that is not the best way to deal with monkeys across the country ... the monkeys and their reactions vary depending on which surroundings they gotten used to . We infact say that its best to avoid them ... the more eye contact you make the more chances they will attack you !!

If anyone has been to Jakhu temple in Simla , he will vouch that the monkeys there are super smart --- they will block your path if you have any food in your bag , so if you give them something -- they will make way for you . If you have food and don't give them anything .. they will stand their ground and not let you thru -- shwo them a stick or aggresive intent and chances are that they will ATTACK you ... but if you have nothing in ur bag or are carrying your bag a\with nothing inside -- just open it and show it to them , and they will let you through peacefully .

STRANGE WAYS of the ANIMAL WORLD .....
Old 29th May 2007, 22:38   #12
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
If anyone has been to Jakhu temple in Simla , he will vouch that the monkeys there are super smart
The pack leaders are especially smart, aggresssive and fearless. I have seen an amazing face-off in Bangalore when a stray dog chased a pack of monkeys up a tree. The dog was standing on two legs with his front legs on the tree-trunk and snarling. The pack-leader of the monkeys stayed just out of reach of the dog, and was quite a fearsome sight as he growled and swung down from branch to branch, coming within inches of the dog's face. He tried his best to scare off the dog for a long time (probably to protect his pack). What was amazing was that neither the dog nor the monkey flinched. That convinced me not to mess with these guys. I have often fed monkeys corn, which they particularly like and try to snatch off from your hands.

Last edited by rks : 29th May 2007 at 22:41.
Old 29th May 2007, 23:26   #13
Team-BHP Support

My craziest encounter with an animal happened when I was eight. Then we lived in a rented house which had a big yard all around. The yard used to be like a grassland during monsoon. Often cows used to get in to graze, me and my brother used to go around chasing them out of the compound in order to save mom's garden.

Once I looked out of the window and saw this dark cow grazing inside the compound. So I went out to chase it. Our servant lady who was washing clothes outside warned me that this particular cow was very wild. So I walked in, came out with a 10 foot long dusting pole, with a brush at one end. There was a big fallen drumstick tree in the yard. I came around it and approached the cow like I was a knight with a jousting pole. And the cow charged at me. Before I realized what happened, it went practically went over me. The cow's foot fall happened between my legs, between my arm and body, next to my face, etc. However, apart from the cow's nose which pushed me down, I was untouched by the cow. The servant ran inside screaming for my mother once she saw me being knocked over. Once the cow passed over me, I got up, ran and jumped to the other side of the fallen tree. The cow took a quick U-turn and came back for me, but it couldn't do much when it found me on the other side of the fallen tree. When my mother came out running, she was quite puzzled and relieved to find me yelling at the cow from across the fallen tree.

This happened 30 years back, but I can never forget that rush.
Old 29th May 2007, 23:52   #14
Team-BHP Support

Monkeys in Kanpur are just as smart. All through my childhood I have seen them up close. Those in and around Panki temple (Hanuman temple) show this kind of smartness. Some will block your path and won't let you go till you give them prasad. The little ones are even better. They come from behind and then tug your clothing. Once a little one tugged my mom's pallu. We turned around to find the little fella sitting down on its haunches and extending one of its palms as if begging. Oh! That was a sight awright. Another funny thing about those monkeys is the way they understand when they will get something. People buy sweets from one of those umpteen prasad shops outside the temple and walk in. The monkeys will never try to stop you. However once you come out after the puja they will immediately come and block your way to have prasad. Amazing!
Old 30th May 2007, 00:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Never challenge, corner or try intimidating animals...they all have wild instincts that might get stirred any moment which might provoke them to attack!
1. The best is to stand your ground and let them know that you are not afraid...works well on humans too at times!!!
2. Unfortunately, if there is an attack, try to save your face and head which are most sensitive...unless its an elephant coz you know its of no use!!!
3. Try to get back on your feet as soon as possible when you get knocked down...people on wheelchairs ignore point number 3.
4. Make loud noises...the nastier the better.
5. Walk backwards, never take your eyes off the animal till you are at a safe distance away, then scram...make sure you arent running towards another animal though!!!
6. With smaller animals a stick or a stone or a quick climb on the nearest tree may bail you out of danger...might not work if you have disrupted a beehive though!!!
7. Last but not the least, animals are intelligent as everyone here agrees but trying to tell them not to hurt you when they are in full mood to attack you might not quite work coz they dont understand when you say you are ex MLA's son or you carry a semi automatic and things like that!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 30th May 2007 at 00:30.

Most Viewed