Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2007, 06:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

Note fro Moderator: Please keep politics out of it. How the building's owner earns his money or spends it, is his personal matter.
Old 4th June 2007, 09:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

I commend Mr Mukesh Ambani for being a responsible Bombayite by making effective and maximum use of land for building his house. Its not that he cant afford to buy a larger piece of land and build a palatial bunglaw.

I think Manmohan Singh was referring to cases like that of CEO of TCS, who is supposed to be retiring in 2009 and allegedly gonna get a life time pension equal to his last salary drawn and a bunglaw to boot, all at company expense !!
Old 4th June 2007, 09:42   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it's wonderful that people who have worked hard are using that money to do what they want to do, what gives them happiness in this lifetime. The man is rich and hard-working, people. This is what he wants. Good luck to him.

A lot of people will make a nice living because of the construction, maintainence and what-not of this home. Better than making a hole in the ground and hiding all his wealth, don't you think?
Old 4th June 2007, 09:45   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I think Manmohan Singh was referring to cases like that of CEO of TCS, who is supposed to be retiring in 2009 and allegedly gonna get a life time pension equal to his last salary drawn and a bunglaw to boot, all at company expense !!
Leave this guy alone fellas. As a life long TCSer he has taken more crap than most of us. The guy used to live/travel like a hermit in his eariler days in the company. Old TCSer like our Ram can shed more info.

As long as Ambani is living out of his tax paid income, I don't see why anybody should have problem with it.
Old 4th June 2007, 09:48   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Having worked exceedingly hard (and smart), and Mukesh Ambani deserves every bit of the success he has today. There can be a hundred justifications of his lavish house...but simply put : Its his money. Let him decide what to do with it. I, for one, am very happy to see this sign of prosperity.
Old 4th June 2007, 10:04   #21
BHPian

Hmm. You guys argue as if ONLY Mr. Ambani worked hard to make all that money by himself. What about the thousands who work for him. Doesnt their contribution count at all?
I just think lavish displays of wealth (like a TN CM's 100-cr wedding, like this home) in a country like ours is not SMART.
Old 4th June 2007, 10:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I commend Mr Mukesh Ambani for being a responsible Bombayite by making effective and maximum use of land for building his house. Its not that he cant afford to buy a larger piece of land and build a palatial bunglaw.

Seems to me the environmental cost of this would be far greater than with a conventional bungalow though. Imagine the energy consumed for things like water supply to the top floors, cooling, lifts etc.

Having said that however, I firmly agree that he should be able to spend his money any (legal) way he wants. The public is in no position to judge what is "allowable" expenditure and what is not.

Last edited by ajitkommini : 4th June 2007 at 10:06.
Old 4th June 2007, 10:16   #23
BHPian

Parking space for 168 cars!!
I guess he will have his own team-bhp too

168 cars is definitely Insane display of wealth. But then he is working hard for it. So let him enjoy it.
Old 4th June 2007, 10:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
What about the thousands who work for him. Doesnt their contribution count at all?
IMO it surely does. and thats why the thousands who work for him are paid their salaries based on their skills they bring to the table. Is anyone of these thousands working for amabni doing so for charity , without asking for their dues? I dont think so.

Besides it is not forced labour in India with any company , including reliance. All the thouands of employees of reliance are free to move on to better paying / more fulfilling jobs whenever they want. Or even start on their own , any busines they want.( as long as it is legal )

IMO the ambanis or any one else can spend their hard earned money any way they want, as long as the laws of the land are not broken...However the authorities should ensure that all the taxes have been paid by them
Old 4th June 2007, 10:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Leave this guy alone fellas. As a life long TCSer he has taken more crap than most of us. The guy used to live/travel like a hermit in his eariler days in the company. Old TCSer like our Ram can shed more info.
Let him continue to live like a hermit na.. why the sudden need to pay him salary AFTER he retires, at shareholder's expense? Besides, he sits on the board of TCS, so its likely that he approved his own retirement plans !!
Old 4th June 2007, 11:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

If he hadn't built this with the money has, then what do you think he would have used this money for. Something some old politicians in this country have not understood is that people need create and spend money for a healthy economy which the new economy guys are doing (creating and spreading by spending). I would do something different with that money but then I don't have so much money. I have no problems with people doing whatever they want with their tax paid money.
Old 4th June 2007, 11:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

4000 crores is really insane for 6 ppl . Shear waste of money .
Old 4th June 2007, 11:27   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Another way to look at it is seeing the jobs it's providing. 600 staff, + countless other people will make a living out of those 6 people.

All this is relative at the end. Buying a Toyota Corolla can be seen as a waste of money as well to a third person.
Old 4th June 2007, 11:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Except - it isnt for 6 ppl. The average number of occupants will be much higher at any given time. This includes, staff, guests etc.

Also, money can never be "wasted". When money is spent it just recirculates in the economy and this is a good thing. Far better than if it's stuffed into a bank locker somewhere.
Old 4th June 2007, 11:31   #30
BHPian

People all over the world buy and live lavishly. They build mansions which are fit for kings and use them for only a brief period of time each year. If this guys want to spend his money the way he likes, let him. He has worked hard, AND smart to earn it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks