Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2022, 14:58   #1
BHPian

Default Cryptos - How I created my first NFT

Nope! I haven't became an overnight millionaire. If that's what your thoughts were while opening this thread, sorry to disappoint you folks! This is about a simple video that was filmed almost a decade ago being converted into an NFT.

Click to see My first NFT

I am a newbie into the world of Cryptos and Non Fungible Tokens (NFTs). But ever since I heard about the use cases of block chain technology, I was itching to try it out. Now I'm neither from the financial or technological background, but rather from the other spectrum of medical background. So I had no idea where to start and I’m not even sure what I have done. But I thought I will pen down the journey so far in team-bhp, especially when the first NFT that I created was the video of a Ferrari accelerating amid dense Indian traffic.

Now this video was shot by me during my college days, nearly 10 years ago. It was mind shattering in many ways because this was my first tryst with a Ferrari. I used to ogle at videos showcasing supercars, always imagining how it would feel to be seated inside such machines mashing the accelerator, feeling the sonorous engines and flying by as the world around you speeds past. And then one day, I got to witness it. And it was glorious. I read somewhere about Mr Enzo Ferrari claiming that he doesn’t sell cars, but engines. The cars were thrown away for free because something has to hold them engines in! And boy, he wasn’t kidding! To see the pinnacle of automotive craftsmanship in action is bound to leave a lasting impression on a fellow petrol-head, even after a decade!

The video I recorded was shared via my youtube account. And soon many people downloaded it and uploaded it via other channels. Never really bothered me as it was done purely for fun. But I did think about at least keeping a watermark over the video.

Fast forward to 2021, I had developed an interest in finance, stock market and investing since 2020, and I stumbled across cryptos. Started watching youtube videos and reading up on crypto related information from the internet. Damn! The world was moving fast. The problem with medical field at least in my view is that a majority of doctors immerse themselves inside a bubble. All their interactions become limited inside this bubble be it professional, personal or financial aspects, and many are completely ignorant about the various transformative processes that is happening around the world. Heck! Even an innovative field like 3D Bio-printing which is all set to revolutionise medicine hasn’t even triggered the academic radars of at least 80% of our nation’s doctors. In our defense, the past few years had put maximum work load over doctors and healthcare staff and we could be exempted for not getting enough time to explore other knowledge realms. There are many who still find time and put effort in knowing about the tectonic shifts occurring around the world, but they are more of an exception than the norm. Let me not digress further from the point of this thread. So I started researching about cryptos and stumbled upon NFTs. I read about how NFTs could offer protection to intellectual properties and how they could ascertain true ownership and stuff like that. I am an average guy who doesn’t have much intellectual prowess and started thinking if there’s any particular area of my life where I can implement these new found info. That’s when I remembered about this video I uploaded. I thought if these things existed back then, at least I could ascertain that I’m the owner of the distributed content. Tough luck! I exclaimed, and then it occurred to me. Why don’t I try it now? Would make up for an interesting side project. And hence it was decided to try my luck with creating an NFT.

Disclaimer: The steps that I follow were obtained by trial and error using info gathered from various online resources. I’m not even sure if these are the right steps. Would love to hear the thoughts of advanced users and professionals regarding this. I’m not endorsing any of the websites/platforms/products that are mentioned here. It’s strictly for informative purposes.

So the first step that I took to enter into the world of cryptos is to create an account in Vauld. It’s a fairly simple procedure, almost like opening a demat account. Once the account was opened, I traded my INR for a couple of crypto currencies (small amounts that I could afford to lose). Vauld has this option for fixed deposits on the crypto holdings that you have. So I decided to exercise that option. This went on for a couple of months.

Initially, I thought that I could use Vauld as a platform to engage in NFT transactions. Later I found out that this wasn’t the case. One needed a dedicated software wallet to take part in NFT universe. After some research, I zeroed in on a crypto wallet called Metamask. Created an account there after entering all the necessary details. The wallet is installed as a plugin to the browser that we are using. An important thing to note is to keep the private key that you receive safe and sound. Now I was all set to plunge into the world of NFTs. Just like we have online marketplaces for goods like Amazon and Flipkart, there’s this immensely popular platform for all NFT related stuff called Opensea. We can log in to Opensea using our Metamask wallet. Inside the website, you can see all sorts of art, collectibles and what not which are listed as NFTs. I rubbed my palms together in ecstasy and decided to create my first NFT. There’s a ‘create’ option in Opensea through which we can convert an image, video or 3d file into an NFT. I took the original video of the Ferrari from my hard disk, converted it into mp4 format. (One thing to note is that only mp4 and webm formats are supported for video files. At first, I used an AVI file which just wouldn’t show up in the Opensea website). The finished file was uploaded, the necessary details filled and once you click on ‘Create’ your NFT has come into existence. Voila! It’s that simple.

Here’s the NFT that I created.

Now what if one has to list the NFT for sale? This is where I ran into a few problems. Now when I initially created the NFT, it was done through Ethereum blockchain. The problem here is that once you finish listing the NFT, there’s a high transaction fee/gas fee that is to be paid. This is a hindrance when it comes to average joes like me who wants to experiment with such stuff. I was searching for a work around and that’s when I saw (It’s in Malayalam). In fact, many of the things about cryptos, NFTs and even stocks I had learnt from this guy’s channel. I’m a big fan of his and follows both his english and malayalam youtube channels rather religiously. He mentions about a work around to avoid paying high gas fees and I decided to give it a try.

So the problem here was high transaction fees in Ethereum blockchain. Sharique proposes a plan where you buy those cryptos using Vauld, which when transferred to your Metamask account bears no network fees. Once these Cryptos are in your Metamask wallet, they are exchanged for Ether in the native block chain (of the crypto that you purchased using Vauld) and then transferred into a Ethereum/Polygon blockchain. Using this, we can now enter into transactions in Opensea without incurring much gas fees. I am not sure if I made any sense with what I just said, but let me elaborate.

If I were to transfer Ether bought using my Vauld account directly to my Metamask wallet, the charges involved are downright crazy. So what I did was to buy Binance coin (BNB) in Vauld and transfer it to Metamask. Note that there’s no network fee involved in this transaction. But the problem here is that BNB runs on Binance smart chain and our default Metamask wallet runs on Ethereum blockchain. So the BNB that I transferred from Vauld to Metamask will not show up until you add a Binance smart chain network also to your wallet. Luckily, there’s an option for adding network to your Metamask wallet. Once you click on that, you’re taken to a page where you’re supposed to enter certain information related to the network you want to add.
Cryptos - How I created my first NFT-add-network.jpg

This information can be procured from this page:
https://community.metamask.io/t/how-...gon-matic/3634

Cryptos - How I created my first NFT-network-info.jpg

Just copy and paste the details into the add network page and you’re done. After adding one network, proceed through the same steps to add another network. It would be better to add both Binance smart chain and Polygon(MATIC) chain to your Metamask wallet as you will see later. Once you add the Binance smart chain to your Metamask wallet, the BNB that you had transferred earlier will automatically show up as an asset in the Binance smart chain tab of your wallet.

Cryptos - How I created my first NFT-wallet.jpg

Now we have BNB in our wallet. But there lies a problem. Opensea lets us transact in Ether. We need to swap the BNB present in our wallet with Ether. To do that, we have to go to a website called ‘pancake swap’. Connect your wallet there. Click on 'Trade' and click 'Exchange'. Enter the quantity of BNB you want to swap for Ether. Select Ether from the drop down menu and click ‘Swap’.
Cryptos - How I created my first NFT-pancake-swap.jpg
Please note to keep at least some BNB remaining in your Metamask wallet for future transactions.

The BNB is now swapped for Ether. Now if you were to check your Metamask wallet, you can see that the amount of BNB has reduced and an equivalent amount of Ether is now present in the Binance smart chain of your wallet. We are not done yet. Ether that we just swapped for BNB is present in the Binance smart chain. We need to bridge it over to the Ethereum block chain. In order to do that, we need to access this site. Connect your Metamask wallet here. Select the ‘From’ and ‘To’ addresses. As we are intending to bridge Ether from Binance smart chain to Ethereum block chain, former will be the ‘From’ network and latter will be the ‘To’ network. The token in question is Ether. Select it and confirm the amount. If you need to bridge Ether from the Binance smart chain to the Polygon(MATIC) chain, select the options accordingly.
Cryptos - How I created my first NFT-defi.jpg

Once these transactions are confirmed, Ether will be showing up in the Ethereum or Polygon chain in your Metamask wallet, depending upon the options that you selected in the previous step. Some might have a difficulty in viewing Ether that has been bridged. If so, there’s an option to ‘import tokens’. Once you click on that, you’ll be prompted to enter the ‘Token contract details’. These details can be obtained from here. Search for Ether in the search tab. The token contract details can be seen for various blockchains.
Cryptos - How I created my first NFT-coinmarketcap.jpg

Copy this info into the token contract details in the Metamask wallet and click ‘Add custom token’. The tokens should show up in your wallet.

Now your Metamask wallet linked to Opensea contains the equivalent amount of Ether which you can use for buying or selling NFTs. I'm not exactly sure if some amount of Ether should be present in the Polygon chain of the Metamsk wallet, because I listed the NFT in Polygon after completing all the above steps. There was no prompt for a gas fee when using Polygon chain. Although it is said that there will be a 2.5% fee that will be collected (maybe if the NFT does go for sale). These are things that I hope to seek more clarity on. What I have noticed is that it’s better to create NFT in Polygon chain if you want low gas fees. I have put 3 ETH as a speculative amount purely for fun.

I want to reiterate the fact that whatever I have penned down here is purely from the perspective of a novice. I am looking for seasoned individuals from the crypto space in our community to opine about the sequence that I have performed. Is there anything wrong with what I have outlined here? Would this be how you guys would have done it? Are there easier methods? And as I read somewhere in another thread, maybe it’s time team-bhp comes out with our own bespoke NFTs. After all, we are the most sought after automotive community in the country. Hoping to hear the thoughts of fellow community members about all these topics.
GKR9900 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 15:18   #2
BHPian

Default re: Cryptos - How I created my first NFT

Can you or someone else really dumb this down kindly and explain it in short! Please don't take it personally. Just that this is so far out my comfort zone/interests that I am absolutely not able to grasp what you actually did but my interest is really piqued. As of now am scratching my head as to how Ferrari video + something something Not a Fungus are coming together and more importantly, why do this?!
Iyencar is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 15:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Can you or someone else really dumb this down kindly and explain it in short! Please don't take it personally. Just that this is so far out my comfort zone/interests that I am absolutely not able to grasp what you actually did but my interest is really piqued. As of now am scratching my head as to how Ferrari video + something something Not a Fungus are coming together and more importantly, why do this?!
I'm not exactly an expert in the field, but here goes. I hope you are aware of blockchain technology which is the basis of cryptos. What happens here is instead of centralised organisations like banks holding the ledger for financial transactions, the data is distributed through a very secure network. Suppose I am paying you 10,000 Rs. Usually, it is the banks that verify whether I have 10,000 Rs in my bank, then deduct it from my account and credit it in your account. The entire ledger is with the banks. Now, instead of that, in Crypto world, the ledger is publically distributed. Meaning this data regarding me paying you 10,000 units is present in thousands of ledger books distributed within a secure network. So if someone wants to play foul in the ledger books for a financial fraud or something, it's going to be very difficult because he might have to commit the foul play thousands fold compared to banks where this has to be done only once.This is an oversimplification of the concept of block chain. There are other elements involved as well.

Extrapolating this, suppose you created a piece of digital art, let's say a painting, which I am willing to buy. We get into an agreement that I will pay you 10,000 units for it. You sell me the digital painting and after a couple of weeks you see that certain websites are showcasing your painting pretending it to be their own. You might not be happy with this scenario. Neither am I, because I paid for it's ownership and now others are blatantly copying it. Imagine a scenario similar to the one said in the previous paragraph, where we can enter into a sort of 'smart' agreement where you are showcased as the creator and I am showcased as the buyer. This info is hard etched into the blockchain network. And similar to the foul play that I talked about in the previous paragraph, it would be very difficult for someone to hack and change this data at multiple points for fraud. Suppose, I sell the digital art to my friend for 20,000. Now, this new transaction is also added to the blockchain. We can program this transaction also in such a manner that you, the creator, can receive, say a 10% commission, each time a sale is made. So in this case you will receive 2000 units (Just replace the units for a cryptocurrency present in that blockchain). The digital art in this case becomes a unique piece(created by you) that is not replaceable and hence the term Non Fungible Token. Again this is an over-oversimplified approach to blockchain and NFTs and I'm sure this is only scratching the surface, but I hope you got a clearer idea?

Last edited by GKR9900 : 24th January 2022 at 15:51.
GKR9900 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 16:53   #4
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Can you or someone else really dumb this down kindly and explain it in short!
Reading this article from Indian Express News may help understand crypto basics.

Also, you can check the dedicated crypto currency thread in Team BHP.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 00:47   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the explanation! Always wondered how NFTs work, could have Googled it but never had the interest to do so. But something like this on our forum is good .
And, I've seen the video! The driver must be a complete hoon! The way it accelerated between the Bus and Auto gave me chills. That's something which you'll remember for a lifetime.
Good try on the Crypto, I hope the owner of the Ferrari buys your NFT
Thatautoguy46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 10:53   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Cryptos - How I created my first NFT

Thanks for the details GKR, I will try one NFT myself and let you know. But some questions.

1. Heard that the recent Malayalam movie KURUP has been added to NFT to protect the rights, may be the first one to do so. If this movie is streamed in Netflix, does it mean that the content is sourced from NFT sites like Opensea?. Suppose if I create a DVD of this movie, the whole NFT will become useless, right?

2. Assume that I have picture (jpeg) that I have protected using NFT. Does it mean that this cannot be copied/downloaded?. And if I want to show this pic to some one, will I be sending the URL?
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 11:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
1. Suppose if I create a DVD of this movie, the whole NFT will become useless, right?

2. Assume that I have picture (jpeg) that I have protected using NFT. Does it mean that this cannot be copied/downloaded?. And if I want to show this pic to some one, will I be sending the URL?
NFT essentially proves ownership. It cannot prevent duplication / piracy. To give a simple example, there is a very famous video of two kids by the title "Charlie bit me". While the original video has been made into a NFT, deleted from youtube and sold off, you can still search for copies of the video on youtube and other streaming platforms. It is not very different from the physical collectables space such as paintings. You can pay a lot of amount for an original Hussain painting, but anyone can make / print a replica of the painting and hang it in their home.
Quoter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 11:58   #8
BHPian

Cool thread. I too want to try "selling" some of my digital art did not try since I heard it costs hundreds of dollars to make an NFT.
How much did your process cost? I may have missed it as I couldn't understand many terms that I need to obviously research.
Old 25th January 2022, 11:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:

1. Heard that the recent Malayalam movie KURUP has been added to NFT to protect the rights, may be the first one to do so. If this movie is streamed in Netflix, does it mean that the content is sourced from NFT sites like Opensea?. Suppose if I create a DVD of this movie, the whole NFT will become useless, right?
As per my understanding, 'Kurup' is set to have NFT collectibles rather than the entire movie being created as an NFT. I'm not sure if that's really possible. Even in Openseas, there's a maximum file size of 100 MB. Not exactly sure if there are other NFT sites which allow larger file sizes. Coming back to 'Kurup', the idea of collectibles created as NFTs can have various use case scenarios. For example, imagine an exclusive 'Kurup' digital movie poster signed by Dulquer Salman, the lead actor, is put up as an NFT. There could be some other bonuses programmed into that item should someone decide to buy it(smart contracts). Let's say if you were to buy that NFT, you could get an exclusive chance to join DQ for a dinner or a 1 hour joyride in his G63 AMG or get acess to his exclusive online community or something like that. Now even if you're not into all that, there might be people who really want to meet DQ and are open to paying a huge sum for that opportunity. That's when you can trade these NFTs. Even in the crypto space, many NFTs are not just collectibles, but also open doors to other opportunities. This is what causes the NFT value to shoot up.

Quote:
Quoter has provided the answer for your question. Just to add to that. In our daily lives, we come across millions of copies of digital art, both big and small, circulating in the internet without us ever knowing who the real creator is. We see an art that we like, click download and we are done with it. Maybe in the upcoming years, it would be easier to identify the original creator of the digital art using blockchain. We may still be able to download the copies, but the creator will be able to have a proof of ownership no matter how many copies are produced. And depending upon the perceived value of the NFT, he/she may even put it up for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Cool thread. I too want to try "selling" some of my digital art did not try since I heard it costs hundreds of dollars to make an NFT.
How much did your process cost? I may have missed it as I couldn't understand many terms that I need to obviously research.
Great to hear! Creating an NFT on Opensea is free. But when you list it for sale is when the gas fee comes into play. That's why I have put up this workaround. IIRC the cost bottleneck comes during the process of 'bridging' the blockchain that I have outlined above. The minimum amount there is .02 ether which roughly translates to around 3500 Rs. Now might be a great time to try this out because crypto prices have been tanking. All the best mate!

Last edited by GKR9900 : 25th January 2022 at 12:12.
GKR9900 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 12:04   #10
BHPian

Heh. Ive been on this fence for months now and a few gaps in India-centric information have kept me from jumping in. Thanks for this. It filled in a few. Cheers,
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 13:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
You read my mind. I am numb with all the crypto, nft chatter and I am absolutely feeling helpless and dumb by thinking how am I not getting these things when so many people are doing it!!

I am definately living under a rock and I seriously need coaching. I tried reading up but even the explanations need explanations in my case
SN88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 13:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
It would be nice to know the actual cost in INR that you incurred, so that some of us can also experiment without damaging out pockets.
Old 25th January 2022, 14:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchu.c View Post
It would be nice to know the actual cost in INR that you incurred, so that some of us can also experiment without damaging out pockets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
the cost bottleneck comes during the process of 'bridging' the blockchain that I have outlined above. The minimum amount there is .02 ether which roughly translates to around 3500 Rs. Now might be a great time to try this out because crypto prices have been tanking. All the best mate!
The actual cost will be much lower than .02 Ether (3500 INR). I don't remember the exact amount, because there are some incremental fees (gas fees 0.5% of transaction amount, slippage tolerance etc) along the way. Because we are dealing with fractions of cyptos, didn't really bother to calculate the exact charges. It's just that you need a minimum balance of .02 Ether in your Metamask wallet for some of the procedures that were done. I had transferred Rs 5200 worth of crypto to my crypto wallet to try this out. I'm still left with Rs 4800 worth of crypto after all these transactions. And if the NFT does go for sale, I may have to pay 2.5% of the value as gas fee.
GKR9900 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 17:19   #14

I'm in no way affiliated with them but I recommend nft.wazirx.org if anybody is interested in delving into the world of NFTs. Despite the unreliable nature of their crypto trading platform with frequent outages (esp. when Elon Musk tweets), their NFT platform is actually quite good.

The biggest advantage Wazirx-NFT has over bigger platforms like Opensea and Foundation is that it's DOMESTIC, and I mean that not only in terms of the user base and content but also the prices (definitely more Indian friendly). And more importantly, since it's much smaller than the likes of Opensea and Foundation, your work is way more likely to be found.

There is however an approval process if you're interested in minting your own NFTs. You are required to send in some of your previous work, which I guess is to maintain quality of the content on the platform. That said, there is no approval process for reselling NFTs.
I've convinced many of my artistic friends to get into NFTs and I'm quite proud to say many of them have managed to make a side-hustle out of this.

I understand the idea of buying selling digital goods may be hard for some to fathom (You wouldn't believe the number of times people have asked me why they couldn't just screenshot the NFT and resell it). But I assure you, if you read up on the technology and how Blockchain works, you'd be amazed. Blockchain development is quite a hot field right now and I plan to be a part of it once I finish my bachelors!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2022 at 11:34. Reason: Only two emoticons per post please. Thanks.
dazdandconfuzd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 23:38   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Really sorry for this post, I understand how it feels when a noob gatecrashes a nerds' conversation, because on most of the topics, I am the nerd. I don't know how but I missed the crypto boat, Rant Over.

Now my actual question is:
Suppose I create a great art in the form of image, I make it a NFT, I sell it to Mr.X, but Miss.Y has used the same image for her own commercial interest like she has made use of the image to printout season greetings lets say. How will having NFT in Mr.X's name help?
A digital image is a digital image, as long and as someone can view it, he can use it. What am I missing here? (I understand that I can create a NFT out of it, I know that my ownership is etched in distributed ledger forever and everything, please don't repeat the same)

Who is enforcing the contract here?

Most Viewed