Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2007, 18:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Indian Airlines allows even 42Kgs( saying from my Experience) without any charge if you are coming from abroad and taking there domestic flights.
Yes. But she is breaking her journey in 3 places and flying out on different days and buying tickets in India.
Not the same case. At all.
Old 19th January 2012, 10:28   #17
BHPian

Re: Domestic Airtravel question - Baggage Weight Limit?

Need a small help. I am flying from Minneapolis to Bangalore later this month and will be flying to Ahmedabad (from Bangalore) after 3-4 days of reaching Bangalore.

Now I will be lugging all the excess luggage that Air India allows on International routes. As I have always enjoyed flying Indigo, I call their customer care number to enquire about their excess baggage policy. And quite cool: they have an excess baggage package where one can buy 10 KG @ Rs800 (and in the multiple). So far so good.

But here's the shocker. Or may not be a shocker. They are telling me that the car seats are check in baggage and will have to be paid excess baggage if above the permitted weight limit. My question - is this true - that you cannot carry a child seat without paying excess baggage (unless you don't have any check in baggage). Is there any airline that allows car seats?

P.S: I have two kids and two car seats and hence this is important for me. Both the car seats are Britax (kind of heavy)
Old 20th January 2012, 01:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am guessing you have one paid seat for the child and another in lap. For the one who has a seat should be able to fix the seat in plane seat (ask them). I would agree that the other one has to be checked in since they can allow only limited items as carry-on.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:50   #19
BHPian

One point, regarding the idea of asking somebody else to carry the excess luggage. If somebody smiled at me and asked me to carry their excess baggage, I would never do it no matter how charming the smile, even if my own baggage is underweight.

Reason: I don't know what is in their baggage, and this is a common methodology used by drug smugglers. Even if the chances are very small, I would not take such a risk.
Old 21st January 2012, 02:55   #20
BHPian

Here's the standard response from Indigo Customer Care

May we also mention here that at present we do not have provision of exempting car seats from the luggage allowance. However, keeping the value of your suggestion, we have shared feedback with the concerned department for further review and enhancement of our services.
Old 11th May 2013, 09:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Here's the standard response from Indigo Customer Care
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
As far as i know they will allow 20kg per person, and i likes the service of jet airways and kingfisher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Air deccan charges something like 50Rs/kg(2 years ago). If she is coming by jet expect to pay around 2500 extra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
... I would never do it no matter how charming the smile, even if my own baggage is underweight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
.. I would agree that the other one has to be checked in since they can allow only limited items as carry-on.
Folks,

I understand the following to be applicable for domestic flights within India - Jet Airways / Lite, Air India, Indigo etc.

- Check-in Bag - 20 Kgs. Does the dimension limit of 62 inches matter?
- Cabin Bag - 7 Kgs. Does the dimension limit of 45 inches matter?
- Are they very particular about dimensions?
- Are the above weights correct?

Thanks,
C_
Old 13th May 2013, 13:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
Folks,

I understand the following to be applicable for domestic flights within India - Jet Airways / Lite, Air India, Indigo etc.

Thanks,
C_
Not all airlines are particular about the Dimensions. Weight yes, but not necessarily how big or small your bag is as long as you're under the 20 Kg load for check-in and 7 as cabin baggage.

Interesting thing to note here is, a couple airlines Air India and Jet just recently announced that they're planning on decreasing the allowed check-in baggage weight from 20 Kgs to 15Kgs. You might want to check up on that from the Airlines directly as to when that rule will be implemented.

Excess weight is being charged at Rs 250/kg.
Old 13th May 2013, 13:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Thanks,
C_
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Not all airlines are particular about the Dimensions. Weight yes, but not necessarily how big or small your bag is as long as you're under the 20 Kg load for check-in and 7 as cabin baggage.

Interesting thing to note here is, a couple airlines Air India and Jet just recently announced that they're planning on decreasing the allowed check-in baggage weight from 20 Kgs to 15Kgs. You might want to check up on that from the Airlines directly as to when that rule will be implemented.

Excess weight is being charged at Rs 250/kg.
Yes this is correct. I travelled by Jet last weekend and was told that from the 20th of May, the limit per person is reduced to 15kgs. Also currently, the cabin baggage is 7kg + laptop. From 20th, including laptop it should be 7kgs.

I also heard people mention about charges for specific seats such as window seat = 300Rs, Emergency seats = 500 Rs, all this over and above the ticket price. Hope this is not true
Old 13th May 2013, 23:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I also heard people mention about charges for specific seats such as window seat = 300Rs, Emergency seats = 500 Rs, all this over and above the ticket price. Hope this is not true
It is.

Quote:
Meanwhile, IndiGo has decided to charge a premium of Rs. 100 to Rs. 500 for pre-booked seats. A passenger opting for a seat in the first two rows, or near emergency exits, would need to fork out a premium of Rs. 500 for a domestic flight. Passengers who wish to pre-book a window or aisle seat will pay Rs. 200 more. It would cost Rs. 100 for pre-booking middle seats
More - http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...cle4699306.ece

The rates have increased, but I remember Indigo charging extra for the first row and emergency row seats since a long time.

Also, this is for 'prebooking'. If you land up early and request a window seat @ check-in counter, I don't think you need to pay up.
Old 14th May 2013, 00:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Thanks,
C_
In India I have seen strange things happening. A designer-labels clad young girl chattering away to glory with the counter clerk about " excess weight chalta hai na" and actually getting away with it.
Old 14th May 2013, 06:38   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

In India I have seen strange things happening. A designer-labels clad young girl chattering away to glory with the counter clerk about " excess weight chalta hai na" and actually getting away with it.
The girl must have been a highly attractive looking person no doubt. Its an old phenomenon really and not peculiar to India. I have seen it happen in several places abroad too, particularly in France and Italy where the menfolk and even the womenfolk are more visibly indulgent and/ or appreciative/ susceptible to such overt feminine charm and pulchritude...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th May 2013 at 06:39.
Old 14th May 2013, 13:05   #27
BHPian

Another thing to keep in mind in India domestic flights is the type of aircraft you are travelling which has an impact on the size of the hand baggage as the overhead bins are much smaller comapred to Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 which are the aircraft most common in Indian skies.

For instance in Kochi Chennai, Jet Airways and Spice Jet have mutiple flights. The first flight early morning for both airlines are operated by a B737 while the later ones are by miuch smaller ATR/Dash 8-400 aircraft.

Same for connecting flights where your bags may be through checked.

For exmple Bangalore Mumbai Porbander on Jet Airways or Delhi- Chennai- Tutitcorin on Spice Jet. Here tte second legs of bith the routings are on turboprops.

Indigo and Go does not have a problem in this regard as both have only one aircraft type - A320.
Old 14th May 2013, 23:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why just India, I suppose a bit of sweet talking works in many places, especially when dealing with customer care folks who get treated like crap most of the time.
Old 14th May 2013, 23:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

I could be wrong, but I thought the weight was registered in the system and they had to charge on the ticket. I was surprised that it worked.

And I mentioned chattering away because it didn't sound like sweet talk to me, but then beauty lies in the eyes of beholder

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks