Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2022, 10:57   #76
BHPian

Re: Why fresh home food rocks & stale outside food sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Suddenly, my daughter develops gastric problems. Undergoes tortuous diagnostics tests with aching stomach for weeks. It hurts harder when it is for the loved ones than to myself. The Paediatrician warns with signs of food allergens, imbalanced nutrition and vitamin deficiencies.
Beware of items like biscuits and similar items bought from the store. I am someone who reads every ingredient list at the store, but they're smarter and they've managed to replace the chemical names with codes and I'm flummoxed! Many firms seem to have replaced one set of preservatives with cheaper alternatives silently (obviously approved by the FSSAI). I've not bothered to verify, but I've just stopped buying brands that don't agree with me.

One brand I avoid religiously is "Dukes" - every single product of theirs contains something that causes gastric distress. As usual I did not get any answers from their "customer service".
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 12:14   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReacher13 View Post
Having studied and been working in the food processing sector for the last 12 years...
Very informative post! Thanks.
I have a question - has the processed food industry used cost cutting measures (in the past few years) that could affect the health of consumers? Like using preservatives and additives that are banned in other countries? Has the FSSAI allowed the use of previously banned substances? What is going on with processed foods that we should be aware of? Sorry if the questions are very broad, but I'm just looking for insights into an industry from the point of view of an insider.
Old 30th January 2022, 20:51   #78
BHPian

Well mariners and especially those in submarines have no choice. Though benefits are far many, but I guess some have no choice. Same is the case with those deployed at high altitude areas. Reminds me of my initial days in Navy with powdered milk and other tinned stuff. The tins were so crude in looks, with local suppliers catering for Navy etc. Certainly, frozen foods have evolved a lot and whether we like it or not it is the future. Already working ladies are going full ahead in acceptance. By the way, don’t be surprised many hotels/restaurants also resort to using them, only we are not aware.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 22:06   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I did not question the total calorie requirement. My point was specific to calorie/meal. Normally one eat lot of snacks and beverages which also you have to count. These are normally calorie dense in Indian context.
You are quite right in this. Let's assume a normal working man who eats home cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner. He may consume about 1800 calories in all three meals. He also consumes 4 cups of tea/coffee in his working day, with some biscuits and an evening snack of about 700 calories in all. Now this chap has consumed about 2500 calories which is about 100 extra calories per day. If this person exercises for about 30 mins each day he would burn about 200/300 calories keeping him in a calorie deficit through out the week. On the weekend if he parties or binges, he may have an excess of 300/400 calories per week. So inspite of home cooked food, moderate habits and exersise it is so easy to pile on the pounds in everyday life.
Old 31st January 2022, 11:31   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Very informative post! Thanks.
I have a question - has the processed food industry used cost cutting measures (in the past few years) that could affect the health of consumers? Like using preservatives and additives that are banned in other countries? Has the FSSAI allowed the use of previously banned substances? What is going on with processed foods that we should be aware of? Sorry if the questions are very broad, but I'm just looking for insights into an industry from the point of view of an insider.
The answer is resounding yes, because processed food industry has profits in mind, not our health. Like any other business, food industry will do everything to lower the cost, raise the volumes, kill competition as long as they are on papers - the right side of the law.

Keep in mind that the GRAS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...gnized_as_safe) changes country to country. I don't think human beings are that different country to country.

If you are looking at list of substances that may be banned in Europe, allowed in US and considered safe in India - that will require some research.

Last edited by alpha1 : 31st January 2022 at 11:36.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 16:41   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fresh, home cooked meals rock . They are healthier, fresher, cheaper and with some effort, as tasty as any restaurant food.
A resounding Yes. We have shifted away from packaged food over the past couple of years and can clearly see the benefits. Try to avoid food which needs 'advertisement' to sell.

Next step is to look into our kitchen and change few habits.
Our obsession with white colour (Gori Chamdi ) has taken over our kitchens. Anything darker is frowned upon.

We can start with some key ingredients and replace them with their 'Desi' cousins.

- White Salt - Replace with Sendha Namak/Rock salt

- White Sugar - Start using Jaggery. Its healthier and tastes better. Powdered Jaggery is easily available these days.

- White Rice - Replace with unpolished/semi polished Rice. Red rice varieties are also widely available.

- White Atta/Maida - Increase intake of Desi Millets - Jowar, Bajra, Raagi floor is easily available in the market.

- Refined Oil - Use kachi ghani local oils. Coconut, Groundnut, Sesame, Mustard oils can be sourced locally.

- White Potato - Red sweet potato is an excellent replacement.

- Add colour to your vegies - There are greens beyond Palak and Methi. Amaranth, Moringa, Malabar Spinach, Brahmi, Dill to name a few. Visit local/farmer market to add colour to your plate.

Some of these changes are difficult and will take time. Once you cross the initial hurdle, the change is permanent with minimal ongoing effort
C300 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 11:12   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
portions of various veggies - paneer capsicum, guvar- Chana dal (it's called paruppusili down south), Chana, Rajma, bhindi, Dal, aloo-soya
2. Split the portions into small one portion-a-meal eg.150gms and store each such small portion in separate small containers
3. Put all these containers into the freezer
Pics hot off the oven (sorry, cold off the freezer). This is my back up for the next ten days or so to survive without eating out. There is some bhaji and some Upma too hidden away inside.

Containers in the freezer- all the small ones contain my fodder
Why fresh home food rocks & stale outside food sucks-freezer_2.jpg

Why fresh home food rocks & stale outside food sucks-freezer_1.jpg

Broad beans(papdi), Cluster beans(guvar), Chhole, Paneer Capsicum
Why fresh home food rocks & stale outside food sucks-beanscholepaneercap.jpg

All I do is take one container out 3-4 hours ahead of a meal, allow it to thaw, microwave in a bowl for 60 seconds, and have with roti/ rice/ brown bread. End the meal with some curd and I'm good until evening.

Last edited by vigsom : 25th May 2022 at 11:20.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks