Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2022, 20:34   #61
BHPian

Re: Why fresh home food rocks & stale outside food sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Obesity is the new Pandemic as said by family Doctor.
Whatever we eat as long as it is less than 500 calories per seating we should be able to lead a decent life.

Bit of workout or physical activity, Only Breakfast, lunch and 7 Pm dinner each less than 500 calorie should do.

Any more than 500c, you can think as you are eating poison - Again his words and he asked me to spread the news about New pandemic.
An adult male in the tropical climate needs 2000/2500 calories per day to sustain. With 500 calorie per meal (think one wada pav) are you suggesting a starvation diet?

Kindly stop counting calories, instead have healthy meals containing a combination of proteins, carbohydrates and healthy fats. As long as you combine an active lifestyle with sensible eating you shouldn't have any worries.
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 20:42   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
An adult male in the tropical climate needs 2000/2500 calories per day to sustain. With 500 calorie per meal (think one wada pav) are you suggesting a starvation diet?

Kindly stop counting calories, instead have healthy meals containing a combination of proteins, carbohydrates and healthy fats. As long as you combine an active lifestyle with sensible eating you shouldn't have any worries.
Very true, missed it. I should have mentioned balanced/nutritious 500 calories per seating Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and probably add Morning/evening coffee/tea. Read somewhere 1800 calorie is best if someone is trying to shed some weight.
Old 29th January 2022, 20:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing wrong with this statement. I would say even 500 Calories/meal regularly is on the higher side for any one above 40. You will easily add another 500-1000 calories in snacks and beverages. The ideal way is to have 6 small sized meals per day than having 3 larger meals.
Old 29th January 2022, 21:26   #64
BHPian

A bit off-topic. After Goa fish market incident, we stopped eating fish. Most of the fish coming from long distance are from cold storage adulterated with formalin for long storage.

Formalin is a chemical used for preserving biological specimen. Very dangerous for human consumption.
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 21:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Nothing wrong with this statement. I would say even 500 Calories/meal regularly is on the higher side for any one above 40. You will easily add another 500-1000 calories in snacks and beverages. The ideal way is to have 6 small sized meals per day than having 3 larger meals.
Kindly refer to the below. Upto 50 years of age a man requires upto 2400 calories per day even if idle.
Source mentioned in the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Why fresh home food rocks & stale outside food sucks-energybalance_calories_chart.jpg  

AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 21:35   #66
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I think the thread has derailed from the title/first post. The topic was frozen food vs fresh not home vs outside food.
I have stayed for a few years in the Arctic region. The only fresh food there was stuff that would grow below ground (think potatoes and turnips, onions, carrots etc) rest everything was imported and frozen. Didn’t have access to too many spices or Indian ingredients. Mind you, I am a vegetarian. At the end of year one, with the same routine as what I had in India, I was 9 kg lighter and discernibly fitter. Point is, frozen food is not bad, retains nutrients and is definitely not unhealthy. Of course, if your idea of frozen food is frozen processed food/ready to eat then you are comparing apples to oranges. There is no difference between a frozen bhindi and a fresh bhindi (nutritionally). The Indian style of cooking, oily, spicy and deep fried is a far bigger contributor to health (or the lack of it).
Some of us (the more discerning foodie) may perceive a difference in taste but 99% of us will not even notice the difference.
Again, to those who say, we don’t eat yesterday’s food, please do not confuse eating veggies bought yesterday (and cooked today) with food cooked yesterday and refrigerated. Do realise that bread, idlis and dosas and several other food is made from dough/batter which is fermented for more than a day. The wine/alcohol you drink is years old. So, get rid of the perception that old is bad and only fresh is good. Lastly, remember that fresh food is a luxury, so kindly do not waste food. Apologies in advance if it sounded a rant (maybe it is).
handsofsteel is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 21:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly refer to the below. Upto 50 years of age a man requires upto 2400 calories per day even if idle.
Source mentioned in the image.
I did not question the total calorie requirement. My point was specific to calorie/meal. Normally one eat lot of snacks and beverages which also you have to count. These are normally calorie dense in Indian context.
Old 29th January 2022, 21:44   #68
BHPian

That the Ken article is free for registered users and not behind pay wall.

Coming to few more points:

1. Seeing so many YT channels showcasing western dishes, I have seen them using canned food a lot. Has anyone done studies of how much sodium content and preservatives they contain in them? The readymade pickles on grocery shelves should be avoided.

2. Indian food tastes better fresh but there are some exceptions. For example, vacuum packed green peas is a great alternative instead of blanching and storing them in deep freezer.

3. Cloud kitchen model is going to spread more in India as restaurants try to survive in this pandemic hit world where there is even labour shortage.

4. Nothing beats eating fresh produce.

5. I sometimes marvel at equally sized tomatoes and vegetables like spinach without worms in markets in developed countries. Unevenly grown vegetables are a sign of either improper rains or bad quality seeds or soil issues.

6. The carbon footprint of transporting vegetables in developed countries like Canada/Sweden is huge, please consider them in you mind before consumption.
rst89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 22:23   #69
BHPian

Once upon a time, eating out was considered a bad practice. I remember my grandma quoting someone killed his health because of hotel food. Gone were those days, restaurant food today has become a norm. At the swipe of a finger, we get variety, door delivered with all permutations and combinations. In there we realise, relief. All of a sudden it seems there is plenty of time. But there is something looming beneath your new found freedom of choices. You have lost control over ingredients. You are slowly losing skills that were once considered essential which means the noose has started gripping.

Recently, we were in a situation that we had to buy food for nearly a whole month. We were enjoying the convenience and variety. We got habituated. What was supposed to be a month got extended to three months and we were in no mood to hit the kitchen. Suddenly, my daughter develops gastric problems. Undergoes tortuous diagnostics tests with aching stomach for weeks. It hurts harder when it is for the loved ones than to myself. The Paediatrician warns with signs of food allergens, imbalanced nutrition and vitamin deficiencies.

In a nut shell, cooking at home is just like you do exercise. No pain, no gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
bread, idlis and dosas and several other food is made from dough/batter which is fermented for more than a day. The wine/alcohol you drink is years old.
Count on pickles, dry fruits, dried fishes, sun dried tomatoes, kebaps, kimchi, vinegar, cheese and much more.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 29th January 2022 at 22:44.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 22:45   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I assume by eating “frozen” food in this context, you were eating processed stuff like burger patties, cheesy treats etc and not things like frozen vegetables?
Yes. You are right. Frozen processed food.
Old 30th January 2022, 00:35   #71
BHPian

Guess my handle may be a giveaway of my profession. The frozen food part is a lesser evil against the "quick" solutions being offered in the market. Apart from consistency in product there is a need for food to be served at ligtening speeds( here comes the excess oil part). Half baked cooks/chefs who believe that everything has to be laced with "tasting powder" aka MSG. Such is the abuse of the product,can even taste it in sambar, masala dosa and traditional items in my city. A "secret ingredient" in many restaurants. The latest "peri peri" "sour cream and tomato flavours on the popcorn and French fries are just an extension of the same. All the connoisseurs sprinkling "seasonings and orregano" on their pizza and pastas (a very india centric practice) are just adding away to their miseries with every sachet. A giveaway would be when u come back home and keep drinking lots of water even though you are full. Been holding Fort against most evils at my place and yes has gone down well with many but still maybe a loosing battle as food may occasionally not be as "tashteee"(deliberately misspelt as tribute to one of my chef friend who says the basic mentality these days is "kuch bhi karoo lekin tashtee(tasty) banao"- do whatever it takes but has to be tasty at the end
chef-de-jeep is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 05:46   #72
BHPian

We all know how genetic adaptation takes place. It's a slow process. The people with genes favorable to the diet available in a particular region persist, and those with unfavorable combination find their group disappears. That's a bit of an oversimplification, but the principle holds: stick to what our ancestors ate.

Factor in what processes like freezing or canning can introduce to the original diet, and adopt or avoid. Accept the fact that our genetic disposition isn't going to adapt in our generation, and any changes in our diets geared to improvement may have benefits, but also introduce unforeseen drawbacks.

That's the protocol, standard operating procedure in our home.

Note: occasional eating out, where food will have taste enhancing stuff like butter added, isn't going to kill ya! We need a little change some times, to take the edge off!

Last edited by proton : 30th January 2022 at 05:50.
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 06:31   #73

I think I might be able to add to this thread.

Being from the hospitality industry there are some things / facts you might be suprised to know -

1. Most of the restaurants or hotels have walk in freezers ( places as big as your room and maintaining -18C to -23C temp. )
So basically even if they are not using frozen peas or fries , they can still freeze the semi cooked food and store it for future use.

2. The common misinterpretation is that high prices mean better than home cooked food. ( Or some 5 stars are the best since you pay alot )

They do put real or good quality ingredients but the food is not prepared from scratch every time. The basic prep is done on a lean day e.g. preparing mother sauces, boiling black dal ( for dal makhani ) , chanas, chopped veggies , wontons , samosas, tandoori items ( tikkas, seekh kababs ) , sponge cakes are done atleast 2-3 days before. And can extend to 7 days if FIFO ( first in first out ) is not being followed.

The final tempering, cooking is done immediately after they receive the KOT.

Many restaurants follow this practice as it the only way you can get those complex flavors in limited amount of time.

You are paying for environment and service and not just food. I have seen them put out expired items in wedding functions to reduce wastage even though it is playing with guests' health.

3. The frozen food has to be thawed or cooked at high temperatures to make it safe for consumption .
This results in lose of nutrients specially proteins as protein is meant to be cooked slowly.

4. The oil that most QSRs ( popular fast food chains) use are days old. By days I mean even weeks.
Oil can be reheated only 3 times in its life as per FSSAI. But this oil is on constant heat for 12 hrs going upto 2 weeks. So not exactly healthy.

It's my personal experience that they do more harm than good.

5. Home food is real food.

The ingredients used in fast food restaurant are varied. Fast foods have to keep costs down so they use artificial items approved by FSSAI. ( That garlic bread has no butter or real garlic ).
My personal experience tells me not to have outside food more than once a month.

Disclaimer -
Not all 5 stars follow such practices. But my experience with 2-3 has not been good.
I really loved my industry . It had given me an opportunity to grow but these facts the true and I can vouch for them.

Those of you who are like me and have never visited 5 stars as a guest, it is an experience. Do visit if you get the chance.
Attached Images

NavtejS is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 10:29   #74
BHPian

It is best to always know what is going into your body.
The only way to guarantee that is to have full control of what goes into your food, by cooking with fresh ingredients that are procured from a known farmer.
How many of us can afford to do that though, with budgets and time being such big constraints?

I have also heard horror stories about 5-Star hotel buffets from friends who work in that industry.
During busy periods like New Years parties even the utensils aren’t washed properly. Imagine what corners are cut in preparing and handling the food.

Last edited by Mustang Sammy : 30th January 2022 at 10:31.
Old 30th January 2022, 10:50   #75
Senior - BHPian

I think it is important to set the context of the discussion right because I do see some frozen vs fresh food debate here.

Gravies half cooked and frozen to be re-used again for months is one thing. Fruits, vegetables and meat being frozen to aid transportation is another completely.

Unless it is one of our fortunate members who have access to farms or farmer's markets, how fresh are the fruits and vegetables we buy from our neighborhood sabziwala? A tomato bought from the sabzi wala wilts in 3 days, one plucked from your own garden stays fresh even after a week.

Those of us who are non vegetarians, how fresh is our 'fresh' fish? In Pune a look at Ganesh peth fish market should put you off from eating fish for ever. Its the same story everywhere. Nothing specific against Pune here. The fact is supply chain integrity in india is laughable due to it being unorganised and total lack of enforcement. Is it much worse to buy frozen fish from a company that follows ISO standards and more likely to actually follow legal norms for transportation and storage?

What about 'Fresh Chicken'? The list goes on but fact remains that vast majority of Indians depend on fruits, vegetables and meat that are transported through unregulated supply chain where best practises are simply not followed. In such a context and in a country like India, cold chain infrastructure is extremely essential. So let us not blanket all frozen food as evil please.

Restaurant eating is a different matter altogether!!
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed