Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2007, 23:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

hungama, please provide the source for all the stats that you have mentioned, it is one of the requirements in this forum & i am sure you will follow that, being a reasonable chap with no helmet.

@nitrous...i don't think he is part of the jeep thrills.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 16th July 2007 at 23:20.
Old 17th July 2007, 00:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hungama, welcome to the forum. I think you are getting a good initiation here !!! :-)

Its a free world. Wear one if you like it or have fun with the sun beating down your head.

You are welcome to put your point with conviction, and so will the others here.

I'm from Chennai, have driven over 40K kms on a bike, my brother atleast double that (he was in sales). I've lost count of the number of times its saved both of us from injury, forget death. Had my office in Nelson Manickam Road, probably the hottest part that side of town due to lack of trees and being a concrete jungle.

Personally, helmets save lives and from injury just like seatbelts do.
Old 17th July 2007, 00:36   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I wasn't abusive, by the way... just tempted. I'm happy to discuss maturely, but above all it would be nice to see some sign of maturity in Tamil Nadu politics.

But what is left to discuss? Much of the rest of the world knows what helmet wearing is all about. It has reached that conclusion sweeping up the brains of it bikers. Isn't better to learn the lessons from somebody else's deaths?
Old 17th July 2007, 00:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think hungama just hung up his boots !
Old 17th July 2007, 00:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Ouch, that must have hurt. the 2kmph hit on the head was a good analogy.
Old 17th July 2007, 01:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuNgAmA View Post
Mr Vivekiny2k, 6% of the world's road death accident happen in india, while india has only 1% of the worlds road vehicles. 1 person dies every 6 minutes and 10 are injured in the same time frame. Increase in alcohol consumption in india over last 2 decades - 106% I am Sure even you could do the maths for this one. enough statistics ?.
what's your point? I thought we were discussing how important helmets are.

well, I fully agree what there is a limit govt can go to, forcing people for their own safety. What we are trying to do is to understand why people do not care about their own head.

you in your post have given only reasons to abandon helmets. statistics prove that helmets save lives. you gave some statistics which do not relate to helmets as far as my small (unbumped) head can understand
Old 17th July 2007, 01:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But what is left to discuss? Much of the rest of the world knows what helmet wearing is all about. It has reached that conclusion sweeping up the brains of it bikers. Isn't better to learn the lessons from somebody else's deaths?
In the developed world, i.e., in US of A, it is not mandatory to wear helmet if you are over 18.
To wear a helmet or not is a pretty much useless discussion IMO. Couple of years back when the helmet rule was introduce in Hyderabad I had a futile 10 page discusssion with another guy with me supporting the rule and he opposing it. The jist of it was that, given our traffic conditions with no lane discipline, a helmet may save a persons head but wont avoid injury or death.
Old 17th July 2007, 14:30   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the developed world, i.e., in US of A,
Oh, what an unfortunate choice of words! I think I'll stomp off in a huff now

Helmet wearing is absolutely mandatory in UK. I should be surprised if it wasn't throughout Europe but I do not know.

I'm surprised to hear about USA, but I've never been there. Might it vary from state to state?
Old 17th July 2007, 15:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
a helmet may save a persons head but wont avoid injury or death.
By that reasoning there isn't anything thats guaranteed to prevent injury or death. The idea is just to reduce the chances of a fatality.
Old 17th July 2007, 15:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Got this as a forward. Picture was taken in Kerala and has been published by some local newspaper.

"Helmet rule holds good for the person sitting in the front and not for the pillion rider" was the caption.

Old 17th July 2007, 15:46   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Got this as a forward. Picture was taken in Kerala and has been published by some local newspaper.

"Helmet rule holds good for the person sitting in the front and not for the pillion rider" was the caption.
Riju, the same joke was shown on Asianet on the comedy programme called "Sanmanas....." which is aired on weekdays at 10PM.
When the concerned character was stopped by the cops, he used the same statement against them.
Old 17th July 2007, 22:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh, what an unfortunate choice of words! I think I'll stomp off in a huff now
The choice of words is deliberate, just forgot the quotes
Yes, may be it differs from state to state but where I got license, it was not madatory for anyone above 18. One high profile accident was that of steelers quarterback who fell of bike and broke several bones, he was not wearing any safety gear.
Btw, even though helmet is not mandatory you will rarely see anyone not wearing it unless they are driving on surface streets. People who ride the sportbikes know what it would be to fall off one of these.
Old 9th June 2015, 13:00   #43
BHPian

Re: Helmet Rule made mandatory in Chennai - a joke ?

Helmets made mandatory in Chennai, again.

The farce continues.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...rue?w=alstates

When will they realise that mere rules, without strict implementation goes nowhere!
Old 9th June 2015, 13:42   #44
BHPian

Oh Yes. Finally, lets hope this gets enforced strictly.

My daughter is 3 years old and there is no helmet available for her size except for the cycling helemts with high density thermocol and no hard PC or FRP support to take the impact, considering motor cycles are driven faster than bicycles.

Is there any solution to this other than not taking her in a two wheeler?
Old 10th June 2015, 15:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Oh Yes. Finally, lets hope this gets enforced strictly.

My daughter is 3 years old and there is no helmet available for her size except for the cycling helemts with high density thermocol and no hard PC or FRP support to take the impact, considering motor cycles are driven faster than bicycles.

Is there any solution to this other than not taking her in a two wheeler?
Personally I would not suggest to carry a 3 year old child on a bike. It is not safe. And you will not find a helmet that fits her.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks