Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2022, 14:08   #991
BHPian

Re: Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
You can read my post again and understand why I talked about 'Idiots the world over' instead of 'Idiots on the forum'..
Sorry, I misunderstood your previous line then.

Quote:
In other news, Putin is has started talking about his conviction for a natural and necessary cleansing of Russian society that would strengthen his country. He is starting to sound too close to Hitler for my comfort.

I guess this will make him even more attractive to a section of Indian society that once drew inspiration from people like Hitler and Mussolini.
This "cleansing" term is classic dictator/mad man vocabulary. There was a video by Mr. Shekar Gupta of the Print where he covered a point - Did Putin's pandemic isolation made him irrational. Good to watch that too.
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 14:52   #992
Senior - BHPian

Nobody is wanting/supporting war.
But what everyone is uncomfortable with is the massive unprecedented hypocrisy we are witnessing.

This has been a very informative thread to be honest. Much better than the paid media drivel and usual social media cesspool.
download2live is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 15:00   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Could this attack reconfirm that? They are trying to get countries supporting Russia to break away from them?

https://Youtu.be/lpktGHAq-9A
So hard to understand in the short term on what's happening and who is inciting whom. But this attack and the [unconfirmed] explosions that happened in Belarus last night seem to indicate that the peace talks aren't working and the region in general is trending towards more instability.
warrioraks is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 15:10   #994
BHPian

All US Fanboys should watch this interview by Andrew Bacevich who is:
  • a retired US Army Colonel
  • Vietnam War Veteran
  • President and Co-founder of Anti-war Think Tank Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft
  • Professor Emeritus of International Relations and History at Boston University
  • Author of a number of books, His recent being "After the Apocalypse"

He says America can't absolve itself of responsibility for Ukraine Invasion and talks about how the US exploited Russian Weakness by expanding NATO to the east:

Americans knew exactly what they were doing by provoking Russia. Now please don't say he is a KGB Spy!
CarNerd is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 15:14   #995
BHPian

Everything comes down to basic emotions and intent. Played out in life and movies.

Suppose A and B are neighbours with demarcated properties. A keeps extending his wall to gobble up B’s property. What happens? B grows up to be resentful. He could have grown to be a wise man but it takes certain kind of guys to do what they do. So B murders A.

During proceedings A’s lawyer says B’s family wanted to live this side of the wall so A was justified in extending the wall.

Court hangs B on murder charges. Rightly so.

Who is to blame here?

These wars need not take place if these oldies had some brains.

If A had started diplomacy long back rather than the day B took out his revolver, and invited B to his place for dinner and hugged him, instead of extending the wall, things would be different. But that would mean A should have intent for peace and friendship rather than ulterior motives/hegemony.

Curse of human race is greed and power trip. Future generations will never forgive these people.

Quote:
You can read my post again and understand why I talked about 'Idiots the world over' instead of 'Idiots on the forum'..it's simply because it was meant for people on social media with even less knowledge of situation than me.

For members on this forum (who tend to be educated upper middle class Indians and hence not really people I would call Idiots) I am afraid that atleast some of them are A-Ok with civilian casualties just because they see it as a snub to the western powers.

All I would like is for these people to see Putin with the same disdain that they have for people like Obama. Simply to understand that all of these guys regardless of their status as left/right wing don't care about the lives of citizens trying to live out their miserable lives.

In other news, Putin is has started talking about his conviction for a natural and necessary cleansing of Russian society that would strengthen his country. He is starting to sound too close to Hitler for my comfort.

Putin says he will get rid of scum and traitors

I guess this will make him even more attractive to a section of Indian society that once drew inspiration from people like Hitler and Mussolini.

Last edited by nandadevieast : 17th March 2022 at 15:23.
nandadevieast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 15:54   #996
Senior - BHPian

All news during war times needs to be seen with at least some suspicion.

Dated: 13th March, 2022
Link
Attached Thumbnails
Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war-russukr-theater-tweet.jpg  

Poitive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 16:02   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Everything comes down to basic emotions and intent. Played out in life and movies.

Suppose A and B are neighbours with demarcated properties. A keeps extending his wall to gobble up B’s property. What happens? B grows up to be resentful. He could have grown to be a wise man but it takes certain kind of guys to do what they do. So B murders A.

During proceedings A’s lawyer says B’s family wanted to live this side of the wall so A was justified in extending the wall.

Court hangs B on murder charges. Rightly so.
Let me correct the analogy for you.

A and B are neighbours and B used to own A’s property long ago and had to give it up due to B’s internal problems. Now, even though B willingly gave up A’s property, B wants to take over their erstwhile property from A even though they had given it up willingly. Since A’s weaker than B and has no chance to protect itself, it tries to seek protection from C. Now B murders A and then blames C for trying to protect A! How does it make any sense?

I’m not saying that the west is so large hearted that they want to protect Eastern Europe from Russia but is it a crime now to ensure that your allies aren’t gobbled up by your rival superpower?

It’s almost like you want to have control over who your ex dates after breaking up with her. She’s not yours to control! (Come to think of it, makes sense why most Indian men support Russia!)

Last edited by dragracer567 : 17th March 2022 at 16:04.
dragracer567 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 16:14   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
All news during war times needs to be seen with at least some suspicion.
If this is really true then I have no words to describe this action of blowing up children just to demonize Putin and Russia further. That is why people have to start pointing fingers at the West more and look at things from the other side as well. Just imagine the kind of impression such a news creates on a layman about Putin and Russia and shows that US is the only savior of mankind. Also, there were reports which said Russians were targeting selective residential buildings with no mention of the news that they were used to hide/store weapons. You see how the western media plays with your mind?

This image shared by Bhpian Foxbat is what one has to look at and understand that one country is behind all of it. You just can't blame the bullet always and ignore the person who fired the gun.

Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war-fnzwjtcwuaecthd.jpeg

Finally I am just quoting what I had posted earlier to understand why Russia has to do what it does

Quote:
There was a interview in which Putin was saying why they had to get involved in Syria. Russia has a good amount of Muslim population and instability in Syria could lead to radicalization of its youth which will spill over to neighboring countries and even Russia which is not too far away. Pull out the world map and see which countries have been destabilized due to invasion/war and which regions/countries neighboring it have been been affected and then find out if this is due to an involvement of America in any form and you will get your answer.

Last edited by SnS_12 : 17th March 2022 at 16:16.
SnS_12 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 16:30   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Also, there were reports which said Russians were targeting selective residential buildings with no mention of the news that they were used to hide/store weapons. You see how the western media plays with your mind?
Had made a similar point with my first post on the thread in the early days of the conflict, as this was hardly unexpected.

Quoting a part of that multi-section post:
Quote:
The 'Evil Putin' Narrative

Zelensky giving arms to civilians appears to be to this effect.

What real chance does a civilian holding weapons for the first time have a chance against a well trained army? Bear in mind that people up to 60 years of age are forced into army duty. A 55 year old unfit guy with a Kalashnikov for the first time! A civilian in plain clothes being shot by an in-uniform well equipped Russian soldier would make for pictures and videos circulating on (West owned and controlled) social media - a big influencer.

This in turn works towards building a mood of compassion in the general population of the West. Also feeds into the sentiment of 'we could be in that situation', further building resentment in the general population against Putin.

Further, it could well be possible that the strikes to residential buildings/areas were due to weapons (mortar like?) being kept and used from those areas.

Using civilians and civilian areas to attack could well be a strategy: Heads, the civilian kills; tails, the civilian helps building a narrative...

Last edited by Poitive : 17th March 2022 at 16:32. Reason: Spacing
Poitive is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 16:46   #1000
BHPian

Quote:

Idiots world over will still continue to say, 'Yeah but look at what the Americans have done through the years".
Sir, everyone think they are highly intelligent and all other are fools. Idiots are everywhere. It's a relative phenomenon.

For your information, in case if you are an Indian, India carried out Uri attack. many people would have killed, but not everyone would have been a terrorist. They are called collaterals.
Now, going by your analogy, everyone in Indian govt is an Idiot because they killed innocents and all Indians are idiots because we supported these strikes.

If you think no thread exists for Indian's surgical strikes, there's one. Please voice your opinion there.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...oment-all.html (Indian Army goes undercover in Myanmar - A Proud Moment for all!)

I wonder whats your opinion on making civilians forced to fight war by Mr. intelligent Zelensky. If you don't know, its called Marshall's law.

As per some people in this form, it was the right decision to throw civilians to fight because its war and Mr. Zelensky did the right thing. It was done in 1930s, 40s , so its ok in todays world too.
Its also ok to be opportunistic to show these collateral deaths as civilian deaths because its war.

On a lighter note, a junior thinks his senior is an Idiot and vice-versa.
So, "Idiot" is a relative phenomenon.
turbo_delight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 16:48   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had made a similar point with my first post on the thread in the early days of the conflict, as this was hardly unexpected.
Sir, your post is number 1000 and I hope people open up their mind and realize who is the real threat out here and can they trust western media to show you the truth?

The west made a hero of a president named Volodymyr Zelensky just to defame and isolate Russia.

Well, how do you react if this person comes and tells the world that Russia blew up a theatre filled with civilians including children only to find out the actual truth??

He was a funny man before becoming the president of Ukraine. Wonder, why don't you find his jokes funny anymore.

Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war-joker_01_cvr_color_copy.jpg

Last edited by SnS_12 : 17th March 2022 at 16:55.
SnS_12 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 17:06   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
Sir, everyone think they are highly intelligent and all other are fools. Idiots are everywhere. It's a relative phenomenon.

For your information, in case if you are an Indian, India carried out Uri attack. many people would have killed, but not everyone would have been a terrorist. They are called collaterals.
Now, going by your analogy, everyone in Indian govt is an Idiot because they killed innocents and all Indians are idiots because we supported these strikes.

I wonder whats your opinion on making civilians forced to fight war by Mr. intelligent Zelensky. If you don't know, its called Marshall's law.

As per some people in this form, it was the right decision to throw civilians to fight because its war and Mr. Zelensky did the right thing. It was done in 1930s, 40s , so its ok in todays world too.
Its also ok to be opportunistic to show these collateral deaths as civilian deaths because its war.
Didn't the Indian airstrike target a training camp of the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM)? Not sure how civilian causalities would have come into the picture.

If they did, then it would be condemnable. But I do understand and support the strikes if they helped protect our forces not if they were done to win elections.

I never liked it when the U.S.A described civilian causalities as acceptable collateral damage either...maybe something for you to think about?

Nice attempt at what-about-ism though with a nice mix of Indian nationalism thrown in.

Oh and I don't support imposing Marshal law and forcing your citizens to face death..especially when there a volunteer forces that are willing to actually fight.

But does this mean that I think Putin Uncle is right in doing what he did? The answer unfortunately for you is still "No".
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 17:31   #1003
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am very perplexed seeing the meltdown that certain members seem to be having now that Russia is actually fighting the war without having tied both of its hands behind its back. Many commentators (myself included) warned in the initial pages of this thread that if Zelensky did not start thinking and behaving like a real leader very soon, a lot of needless blood would be on his hands. Russians wrote the book on destroying enemy resistance by obliterating cities. They were very restrained in the initial days of the war despite taking unwanted casualties due to that approach. Instead of surrendering, the western intelligentsia and its adherents started thumping their chests about having brought the Russian war machine to a halt. Well, now that they are fighting the way they have always fought, I can say that you asked for it when you were goading ordinary people to pick up arms to fight an unwinnable war. Like they say, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I mean, seriously? What do you think happens in a war? People get killed irrespective of their combatant classification/gender/age-group especially in this age of modern warfare where the weapon which will kill you is fired from 100s of kilometers away. It is still not too late. Ukraine should reach a respectable (to both sides of course) surrender agreement with Russia to save whatever infrastructure it still has left. Else Ukraine is well on its way to becoming a member of the multitude of failed states having stone age infrastructure which exist around the world like Aleppo, Baghdad, Mosul, Fallujah etc..

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 17th March 2022 at 17:32.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 17:32   #1004
Senior - BHPian

OT: Sorry for being a grammar nazi but isn't the term "Martial Law"?
deathwalkr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 18:07   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Else Ukraine is well on its way to becoming a member of the multitude of failed states having stone age infrastructure which exist around the world like Aleppo, Baghdad, Mosul, Fallujah etc..
There is even a meme to this:
Attached Thumbnails
Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war-fnvgniyxiaa91gm.jpeg  

CarNerd is offline   (31) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks