Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2008, 16:29   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Whats Chamku all about ?
Bobby Deol plays a revolutionary on the run who turns into a good guy due to Priyanka's love and is then asked by the police to turn killer for them - thats what I have heard. I could be WAY off the mark too

here is what I found - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamku_(film)

Seems like I have a lot of time on my hands

Last edited by normally_crazy : 21st August 2008 at 16:33.
Old 21st August 2008, 18:24   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai meri jaan looks good. The rest of the bunch seem uninteresting other than phoonk though. Guess sudeep(kannada actor) is playing the lead in phoonk.
Eagerly awaiting NC's reviews before planning on any movie nowadays
Old 22nd August 2008, 09:11   #1503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Its a general belief that ,In AP, Cinema comes after food,clothes and shelter in the Need hierarchy.
Apparently,this is why the Telugu film Industry is the biggest in the country and a very successful art director in the business told me that the scale of a Telugu movie is 3-times that of any other language(excepting Bollywood).
Yes, and Telegu film fraternity are the most professional in the entire country. I know for sure some movies are canned in less than 30 days. I have seen more than 80% of the telugu film stars up close, they all frequent TOUCH in Hyderabad where i go about 1-2 times a month. Except for a few handful, they are nothing to write home about. I like Mahesh Babu and the new guy Rana only, they have awesome presence. Rana is Suresh Babu's son. Suresh Babu is Venkatesh brother.

Btw, I saw Bachna Ae Haseeno last night, i have only one word-WOW

I was totally impressed with the entire movie-theme was crispy fresh, fabulous acting by all, awesome locations and foot tapping music. This movie goes into my collection

Rating 4.5/5

Sorry for the double post. Mods please delete the other one

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd August 2008 at 09:18.
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:08   #1504
Senior - BHPian

Saw "singh is king" last weekend, didn't see anybody point it out, so i will. It's based on "miracles" (Jackie chan). My first clue was when Akshay saves the king but gets him beaten on his head multiple times, and then gets chosen as the king himself by a fluke. and when I saw the lady rose being ill, I narrated the whole of the remaining story (with the bollywood twist ) to my wife, which happened to be true.
Old 23rd August 2008, 09:47   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Phoonk

It's deja-vu time.If you have watched Bhoot and Vastu-Shastra from RGV, this one feels and looks the same. It's even directed in the same way and shot in the same way. Heck, even the back ground score is soo familiar.

It's all about a builder who finds out that his husband-wife partner duo have been cheating him and promptly shows them the door. The wife then casts a spell on the daughter of the builder. It comes down in the end to a battle between the modern scientific way and the old school baba way to fight the situation. Who succeeds ? Watch the movie.

Verdict - 1.5/5
- You could easily miss this.
Old 23rd August 2008, 09:56   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Meri Jaan

5 people - (a hawaldar on the verge of retirement, a tv reporter, a night time coffee vendor, a executive who is worried about the environment and a guy who has anti-muslim feelings) - and how they are affected in different ways after the train blasts in Mumbai on 11th July.

The movie is very real and confidently directed by a 1st time Hindi movie director (This guy had directed the Marathi movie - Dombivili Fast - earlier). Though it deals with a sensitive subject, it manages not to get into a preachy / documentary mode. The casting is spot on and the performances are brilliant. Irfan Khan and Kay Kay stand out with Paresh Rawal, after a long time, is back with a stand out performance. Vijay Maurya plays a rookie cop (angry one) because he has had to cancel his honeymoon due to the blasts is first class too.The ending with Kay Kay's story, I found a bit cheesy. Paresh Rawal when he gives his farrewell speech is SUPERB.

Verdict - 3.75/5. Do not miss this.
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:46   #1507
Senior - BHPian

@ N_C - i am going to watch Phoonk tonight with my Brother and ETC. Is the movie scary? if its scary like Bhoot and Vastu Shastra then i will have to carry ear-plugs and dark glasses.
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:54   #1508
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
It's all about a builder who finds out that his husband-wife partner duo have been cheating him and promptly shows them the door. The wife then casts a spell on the daughter of the builder. It comes down in the end to a battle between the modern scientific way and the old school baba way to fight the situation. Who succeeds ? Watch the movie.

Verdict - 1.5/5
- You could easily miss this.
Reminds me of a Stephen King movie i saw on TV long time back. I forgot the name of that movie.
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:58   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ N_C - i am going to watch Phoonk tonight with my Brother and ETC. Is the movie scary? if its scary like Bhoot and Vastu Shastra then i will have to carry ear-plugs and dark glasses.
If you found Vastu-Shastra scary, this is child's play. As I said it feels like the re-run of Bhoot and Vastu Shastra - same eerie camera angles, sudden blast of music and the anticipation that something might happen and nothing happens - deja vu as I said.
Old 24th August 2008, 10:00   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Phoonk!

I dont think it has got that impact as the other RGV movies.. I feel Bhoot is still the best he has givena and vastu shastra was also better than this one...
as someone said, he tried to make use of camera angles and music a lot rather than working on the situations that you gotta create in such a thriller.. (or may be we were expecting too much from RGV after bhoot and vastu shastra!!)

1.5/5
Old 24th August 2008, 11:34   #1511
Team-BHP Support

Review: Mumbai Meri Jaan

Sesitive. Very Sensitive. Seldom does a movie leave me with so many thoughts as MMJ did. The show ended late might at around 1:30am. I reached home just after two. I spent the next two hours just recalling the movie and its message, just thinking about the the fact that we do take life for granted and just one thing, just one moment could change all that. Frankly, that scared me.

Coming to the movie,
- 5 parallel tracks on the effect that the 11 July blasts had on 5 people.
- First movie to actully bring up the insensitivity of the media. Did very well and very realistically.
- Fantastic performances. Paresh Rawal is back in his elements. Lovely characterisation, fantastic dialougues, brilliant expressions.
- Kay Kay, Irfan Khan are almost as good.
- Soha Ali Khans best performance till date. (better than RDB)
- Just one song and that compliments the mood of the movie.
- Background score is also good.
- The ending: FANTASTIC. Paresh Rawal's retirement speech sums up the movie very well and is just out of this world.

What could have been better ? The Kay Kay track could have been better. There were about 10 mins in the second half that the movie got a little slow.

All in all, a very good movie. But it hits you, at leat it hit me. I had to do quite a bit to fight back tears. Go watch it, but be prepared to get a little scared, much more than any Phoonk will scare you.

Rating: 4 Stars

Disclaimer: I don't know why, but this movie affected me more than the group i was watching it with. So you might not feel the way I did.
Old 24th August 2008, 23:16   #1512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What could have been better ? The Kay Kay track could have been better.
Oops. Just realized. I meant that the Irfan khan track could have been better.
Old 25th August 2008, 06:45   #1513
BHPian

A First Look at Fast and Furious

Hey guys I was browsing some of the sites and was able to get some stills of Fast and Furious, Can any one tell which is this black car?

Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Muscle Cars — A First Look at Fast and Furious | Film School Rejects

Fast and Furious 4 Trailer
Attached Thumbnails
The Movie Thread-fastandfurious01.jpg  

The Movie Thread-fastandfurious02.jpg  

The Movie Thread-fastandfurious03.jpg  

Last edited by vinayvtec : 25th August 2008 at 06:50.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:42   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Maan Gaye Mughal E Azam

A mini T-BHP meet yesterday at Imax Wadala to watch this movie. SR Srikanth, myself and the Yeti Lordship himself.

All 3 of us had heard bad reviews of this one and the Yeti was shivering because he had already watched 2 movies that he did not like at all. And the 3rd one he was going to watch was this !!

So we walk into the theatre and settle down. The movie unfolds and we start laughing and we keep laughing through the movie. It's a silly movie that is trying to be silly, not kool. And thats what was fun.

Add to that the HOT Mallika Sherawat. In 2 songs the screen almost went up in smoke - she is lavicious. Paresh Rawal and an assortment of actors that look, act silly and the even sillier gags kept the movie going. The only sore point - Rahul Bose and his stiff acting.

Verdict - 4/5.
That is an unanimous verdict by the 3 of us. It is a very silly movie - period. Do not expect the earth and the moon, keep your thinking cap at home and you will laugh away.

Jab.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:53   #1515
BHPian

Maan Gaye Mallika :-)

Absolutely agree with you N_C.

Perfect No-Brainer for a hilarious 'Sunday' late evening.

Jabbb.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed