Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 14:28   #2296
Senior - BHPian

Saw it too last night (after pulp fiction of course for the 100th time).

I would say 3/5 but yeah the story did keep me engrossed, especially the ending when the lady is revealed to be as sinister as him, that was a wicked twist.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:36   #2297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Star Movies seems to be showing some nice movies around 12ish (am).
I saw "Paparazzi" - about an actor who is chased by Paparazzi who cause an accident and the actor's son goes into coma. Its about how he takes his revenge. Rivetting and well made.
Rating 4*

Ripley Down Under : How a smart Alec takes his friends place (who is an artist) after he dies and makes a fortune.Then the turn of events after someone discovers that the paintings are fake (another guy makes them and signs them in the artist's name).
A very interesting movie, nice twists and turns. Keeps you glued.

Rating 4*
Saw this movie day before too. But i guess it was coming on Zee Studio and not star movies. The twists and turns were really good.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:39   #2298
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night caught up partially with Pulp Fiction for the infinite time.

After that had the DVD of Johnny Gaddar. I was simply blown away by this movie. Since, i am a big fan of James Hadley Chase, this movie was made exactly on same lines of this popular author.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:40   #2299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Saw this movie day before too. But i guess it was coming on Zee Studio and not star movies. The twists and turns were really good.
I am sure of Ripley being shown on Star but not sure of Paparazzi.
Good to see so many guys saw these movies . Thot I was the only nocturnal around .

Saw the last few minutes of pulp Fiction too but couldnt enjoy it as most of its dialogues end up getting cut. This movie alsolutely rocks. Seen it so many times but still cant get over it.
Old 14th January 2009, 17:17   #2300
Senior - BHPian

Saw Memento yesterday. If you think Ghajini is good then you better watch this movie. This movie is so well made and the story grips you till the end. I have to confess that few things I couldn't understand yesterday so gonna do a re-run today, to put the missing pieces together. A 5-STAR for sure..
Old 14th January 2009, 19:11   #2301
Senior - BHPian

I didn't know Ripley Down Under had been made into a movie. There are 3 (or 4) books in the Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith. The first was The Talented Mr. Ripley. It was made into a movie by Antony Minghella, starring Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow & others. A really good movie, with very dark undertones. I read all the books after I saw the movie and I found them quite good. I'll try and locate Ripley Down Under.

I watched Ghajini last weekend in CBE. What they say is right: The movie has nothing whatsoever to do with the Memento. In fact, mentioning Memento & Ghajini in the same sentence would be a slur to Memento.

============= SPOILER ALERT (some spoilers ahead) ============

It has been many years since I've seen a Hindi movie, so that could have been part of the reason why I was squirming in my seat with discomfort. Why is everything so unreal? Does a succesful business man go to a meeting dressed like that? With his sleeves rolled up with his biceps showing, looking dangerously gay? And a convoy of four cars always? Ahem!

I really liked the way Asin looked, but she was overacting all the way in the uh, "funny" scenes. I liked the way they did the scene with the other actor who Asin was training to impersonate Aamir Khan's character. That scene was genuinely funny. The rest of the comedy scenes felt totally over the top simply because everybody was trying so hard to be funny.

The scene where they enter the new flat, and make impressions of their feet in that clay(?) tablet was quite touching. So also was the scene where she'd sold her Amby to get some money to him.

The action in the second half was nice, but the action scenes in the first half felt too choreographed. That brings me to the cop. Wow! Do young cops in Mumbai dress that way while they're on work? Uber-tight tees and tight jeans? And he was trying pretty hard to look tough, and ened up looking pretty constipated. I couldn't much see the point of his character either. Maybe he was meant to play a larger role, but the script got changed in between. Aamir Khan played the crazed, cornered creature well in the last hour of the movie.

Coming to a main plot-point, except for 2-3 scenes in the last 45 minutes or so, I just forgot that the main character could remember stuff for just 15 minutes. They made a big show of the camera and the pictures, but the plot didn't really depend that much on the pictures or the short-term memory loss in the first half (unlike in the Memento, where this was what ran the entire movie). The character could have had total amnesia for the first half (except for the photograph of Jiah Khan and the pursuit of the cop & Jiah Khan) and it wouldn't have changed the story none.

I wouldn't have felt this disappointed if the movie didn't have Aamir Khan associated with it. Anybody else, well, I'd have just dismissed it as a typical knockoff of an idea in a Hollywood movie with a lot of bollywoodishness thrown in. A plot with so much potential for a dark, brooding and scary atmosphere was wasted with the frequent songs and uh, comedy.

I feel better now that I've got it out No offence meant to those who liked the movie. The opninons are mine alone.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:32   #2302
Senior - BHPian

@hydra- On the mark regarding Ghajini. Have not seen Memento yet so no comparisons.
The talented Mr. ripley starring Matt Demon is really good. People who haven't watched it will recommend them. Its slow at the start but picks up after 15-20 minutes and is quiet dark by the ending. How a normal person becomes a murderer is depcited skillfully.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:57   #2303
Senior - BHPian

Just finished watching Ghajini in Tamil on Sun TV.
I've got one thing: Aamir Khan doesn't hold a candle to Surya's performance.
Also, Surya built his body to look tough ,like an animal(for vengeance) whereas Aamir just did the movie to show he has a flat belly. (Sorry, I couldn't count if it was 6-pack or 4-pack)
And what's that costume in the Guzarish song. Showing off your naked stomach because its attractive is like an actress going topless in a song to show off her best asset.
Moreover, major changes in the screenplay and a very important deletion is the second villain character which was a real twist in the story with the movie ending in a massive fight unlike the hindi villain who just squeals and runs away as Aamir chases him.

I can't believe this movie made 200 crores. Just goes on to Tell a lot about bollywood.
Old 15th January 2009, 00:37   #2304
Senior - BHPian

Watch this movie people Rock and Rolla Another Guy Richie Masterpiece
Old 15th January 2009, 02:02   #2305
Senior - BHPian

both nitrous and hydrashok: exactly what I felt.anyways ,many a Hindi movies are like that only.remember ,these movies are sold to many a millions who just want to dream :P
Old 15th January 2009, 09:51   #2306
Team-BHP Support

@ Hydra : Look on the bright side...this movie made you come out of your sabattical with respect to Hindi movies, and watch it.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:55   #2307
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
both nitrous and hydrashok: exactly what I felt.anyways ,many a Hindi movies are like that only.remember ,these movies are sold to many a millions who just want to dream :P
Duh? Other regional movies are for people to emulate?

So you got Surya's six pack abs huh?
Old 15th January 2009, 12:41   #2308
Senior - BHPian

heh!nothing like that.but I fail to enjoy Hindi movies like what it used to be.and I watch tamil/malayalam movies which are good entertainers in general ,not to say ,re-makes are a common in bombay fillum injustry from these south industries.Words cannot explain this.
Old 15th January 2009, 12:59   #2309
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
heh!nothing like that.but I fail to enjoy Hindi movies like what it used to be.and I watch tamil/malayalam movies which are good entertainers in general ,not to say ,re-makes are a common in bombay fillum injustry from these south industries.Words cannot explain this.
There are actually quite a lot of offbeat movies made in HIndi, they were mostly tagged as art films. And were not really watched for their "non commercial" themes. Some of the great actors like Nasurddin Shah, Anupam Kher, Smitha Patil were the main actors. You can judge the caliber of the actors even today. Unfortunately there was no advertisements and fan following for this type of cinema and mostly were resereved for national awards.

And yeah about tamil/malayalam movies, who can forget the sunday afternoons spend watching these regional movies with english subtitles on DD Metro. A lot and i really mean quite a lot of Hindi speaking people used to appreciate these movies. And every sunday was looked forward to.

One movie i remember which was quite good was the one in Malayalam, the actor is a lorry driver and is in love with a girl, whose step father is eyeing her and eventually rapes and she kills herself. The movie was shot in old Mysore and i remember the scenes from that movie. I think the main actor was Mohanlal or Mammoty. Not sure though.

These days i hardly watch any movie. Unless i read a good review or if something catches my eye while surfing the TV channels.
Old 15th January 2009, 13:03   #2310
Senior - BHPian

Booked tickets for Chandni Chowk to China for Friday night
Looking forward to it
Closed Thread

Most Viewed