Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 13:08   #1426
BHPian

Saw "House of Flying Daggers" on World movies. That movie has got some great photography and action sequences. Not your average Chinese movie. I read that it was nominated for Best Foreign Movie @ Oscars and it got a 20 minutes standing ovation @ Cannes. Now that tells about the quality of the director who also made the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragons.

Excellent watch. 4/5

PS: It's not a dub so you have to read the sub-titles quickly. Any other fan of world movies here?
Old 5th August 2008, 13:21   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Id be watching it in about 7 hours.
Nitrous, where is the review???
Old 5th August 2008, 14:29   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Review - Mummy 3 Tomb of something something

What a total waste of time. First of all, they changed the girl. Brendan Fraser without Rachel Wiesz is like pizza without cheese. There is no chemistry between the two O'Connels. The movie has been made just for the heck of making a 3rd part. There is hardly any story. Well, its there but almost same story was there in part 2 and part 1 as well. The wake-up-mummy-destroy-earth story.
The CGI is no breaking news either. Pretty run of the mill now. The camerawork is shoddy to say the least. The plot has gaping holes.
There are a few blue eyed Yetis in it though. And they are the good guys.
But overall, please stay away from this movie.
And for sure there is going to be a Mummy 4 too. I am going to stay away from that.
Old 7th August 2008, 13:55   #1429

The Dark Knight at IMAX

This was my second time of seeing this movie in halls.

First time I did not enjoy the movie much(though I liked it) in an multiplex, as one bugger sitting next to me was picking the calls with that horrible ringtone and a lady in front row was busy consoling her child, even not minding to step out of the hall. I wonder why people bring their businesses to movie halls

Second time it was at IMAX in Hyd. Though I was eagerly waiting to watch it in IMAX dome at Wadala during my long weekend (Aug 15) at Mumbai, but unfortunately they are not at all screening it in big dome-felt sorry for Mumbai with largest base of movie buffs.

I could not resist seeing it again within 10 days of first viewing. The experience of this movie in IMAX is altogether breath taking, and then you would guess how a bigger canvas can make a difference in story telling.No doubt Joker makes irresistable but the technology behind the movie making is worth noticing

THE DARK KNIGHT: THE IMAX EXPERIENCE, feature six sequences filmed with IMAX cameras(these are HUGE HUGE cameras to shoot). This marks the first time ever that a major feature film has been even partially shot using IMAX cameras, marking a revolutionary integration of the two film formats, and not to forget the specialized sound quality (you can hear the Joker breathing or Batman's glider beating the winds while he jumps from HK's skyscrappers)

DVD, HDs, Normal theater halls, will all show the movie- but an IMAX experience must not be afforded to be missed for this movie. Go to IMAX and experience the action!!
Old 7th August 2008, 14:50   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Ugly aur Pagli

It's all about a meek guy who allows himself to be dominated by a tough girl because he loves her. What he does not know is the real reason behind her behaviour.

Ranvir and Mallika do a competent job but the movie simply slows down to a crawl in the 2nd half. It is funny in places and Ranvir manages to actually raise a few laughs in the most inane of scenes.

Music is so-so but there is this one song where everyone in the theatre was : DROOOOL:

Verdict - 2/5.
Watch it if you have nothing else to do.

ps - I loved Sushmita Mukherji as Mallika's mom. For me, her performance was the highlight of the movie and she has a total of 3 scenes only.
Except for a few good laughs here and there, the movie is nothing worth to write about. Screen 2 in Inox was almost empty. Mallika is pathetic in her emotional scenes, very fake. Ranveer saves the movie to some extent, but overall the movie is slow, dull and a boring fare.

My verdict: 1.5/5
Old 7th August 2008, 15:00   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Review - Mummy 3 Tomb of something something

What a total waste of time. First of all, they changed the girl. Brendan Fraser without Rachel Wiesz is like pizza without cheese. There is no chemistry between the two O'Connels. The movie has been made just for the heck of making a 3rd part. There is hardly any story. Well, its there but almost same story was there in part 2 and part 1 as well. The wake-up-mummy-destroy-earth story.
The CGI is no breaking news either. Pretty run of the mill now. The camerawork is shoddy to say the least. The plot has gaping holes.
There are a few blue eyed Yetis in it though. And they are the good guys.
But overall, please stay away from this movie.
And for sure there is going to be a Mummy 4 too. I am going to stay away from that.
Very true. I was completely aghast that Rachel Wiesz is not there. The replacement was no where near in terms of beauty or talent. I was terribly disappointed by the storyline. looks like hollywood is following the bollywood line and making pictures just for the heck of it by repeating the stories. After Dark knight this was a bad experience!

What do you guys think about SIngh is King? I dont think it will be that good as the Hype is!

Last edited by aah78 : 8th August 2008 at 02:13. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 7th August 2008, 15:12   #1432
Senior - BHPian

Singh is Kinng - the story is pretty flimsy, the makers are absolutely banking on Akshay and his pairing with Katrina.

My tickets are booked - 1405 @ PVR Mulund.
Old 7th August 2008, 15:35   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Singh is Kinng - the story is pretty flimsy, the makers are absolutely banking on Akshay and his pairing with Katrina.

Ill wait for your review and then decided whether to watch it !
Old 7th August 2008, 17:15   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ya true. Though am only watching it for Katrina as she is a doll! Btw the maker is Akshay himself as its his first home production

My tickets are booked 12.30 Adlabs Noida
Old 7th August 2008, 17:50   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Singh is Kinng - My tickets are booked for tonight's Premeire Show at 10:15 PM !!!

I think I am going to love it !!! AK here I come. Booked a total of 76 Seats !!! All Friends and wives and their friends and so on. Half the Hall is Mine
Old 7th August 2008, 17:52   #1436
rippergeo

Saw Leatherheads(Leatherheads (2008)) yesterday.
George Clooney, Renee zellweger
Really nice movie, the kind that is funny enough to keep you smiling from the beginning to the end. its not a laugh out loud kind of movie, but there are plenty of chuckles.
Dialogues are witty and crisp.
Loved it.

Old 7th August 2008, 17:54   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Singh is Kinng - My tickets are booked for tonight's Premeire Show at 10:15 PM !!!

I think I am going to love it !!!
*praying hard* God please don't let this one be like Tashan
Quote:
Booked a total of 76 Seats !!! All Friends and wives and their friends and so on. Half the Hall is Mine
- looks like half of Agra will watch SIK with Varun.
Old 7th August 2008, 18:30   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

Booked a total of 76 Seats !!! All Friends and wives and their friends and so on. Half the Hall is Mine
Now thats some serious movie watching i must say!
Old 7th August 2008, 20:00   #1439
Senior - BHPian

@vkochar Please post the review as soon as you get some time. Hope it doesnt crash. Just hope the Khiladi can pull this off like his series of khiladis
Old 8th August 2008, 01:52   #1440
Senior - BHPian

OK Here is my Review of Singh is Kinng -

The Movie is above average. I would not say it is a total flop or I would not say it is awesome.

BUT nevertheless the movie would simply be a hit because of the Fabulous Cast / Shooting Locales ( Egypt / Australia / Punjab ) and the simply AWESOME songs !!!

Katrina is ravishing and she looks even more after every movie she acts in.

Akshay Kumar is a Village Bloke heading out to OZ land to bring back a few Sardars who are Don's there.

The stunts are good. Now there is something for the Car freaks out here - 3 Modded Stretch Bentley Limousines with Scissor Doors Stunning !!!

Once the movie gets over, DO NOT GET UP !! The end song features SNOOP DOGG who is dressed as a Sardar. The song is worth the money you spent. AWESOME !! Bollywood is making a big mark internationally. SNOOP DOGG with AK is mind blowing.

Overall Rating - 3 / 5.

Go watch it over the weekend. You will not be dissapointed, but do not expect the sky.

Last edited by vkochar : 8th August 2008 at 01:53.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed