Team-BHP - Speed Guns in Kolkata to Check Speeding
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Speed Guns in Kolkata to Check Speeding (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/24877-speed-guns-kolkata-check-speeding.html)

:Shockked:

A taxi driver entered the pages of the Calcutta police history book when he was booked for speeding through the Maidan on Wednesday afternoon. His was the first vehicle to be shot down with a Speed Gun on city streets.
This was just a test case, but the city’s traffic police is armed to take a big tech leap, with sophisticated laser guns trained on speed devils.

Details - The Telegraph, Calcutta - Metro

guys - you better watch out for the cops. i once said that there are no speed gun / radars in Kolkata (the thread started by Suman after he got nailed - Street Experiences Section) - i was wrong. after i read the article, i almost panicked and thought of letting you guys know about this. please take care and drive safe. let us know of what you guys think.

@ shuvd (with the Silver Bullet)- better watch out bro ;)

Roads to avoid: Strand Road, Red Road, Vidyasagar Setu, EM ByPass and BT Road. may be they are testing it, but i am sure they will be here soon.

hmm, thats unfortunate.
anyway, this system is fair only if they post the speed limits very clearly. "rash and negligent" or "fast" driving are purely subjective terms.

Quote:

this system is fair only if they post the speed limits very clearly. "rash and negligent" or "fast" driving are purely subjective terms.
Agree with u buddy, but who will tell them that. All they care for is how much they can squeeze out of your pocket.

Dumb M*&^%$#@!()*&....
@ planet - guess I'll have to get one of those radar detectors. Or those number plate stickers that reflect the light and shows a blank plate. Had those on my uk rides.

@shuvd - get in touch with 1100D. i think he will buying one from Texas for his ikon. may be he can get one for you as well. or, you can do onething - for midnite run ask someone to do a nazardari of the red rd / ajc flyover (or you can do it by yourself - before actually doing it).

since the speed limit in EM Bypass is 60KPH, even i will get caught in my Padmini. "kya zamana aa giya?"

Thanks for the information. Another potential trap zone could be the AJC Bose Rd flyover. Will have to think twice now before doing 100+ on the flyover. Its ridiculous to have 60kph limit on the EMB. I think I will also have to get those number plates stickers now!!

Today (at 11.20 am) I received a SMS from Kolkata telling me that a traffic offence has been registered on my car for speeding (at 10.50 am) at 78 KMPH in a 60 KMPH zone.

I was surprised at :

1. A speed radar on the E M Bypass (between Patuli and Metropolis Mall, North-bound).
2. The speed at which I was informed.

Fortunately the fine was only Rs 300, and my wife paid it on the W B Police website using a credit card.

Question : Does anyone know where the speed radar sites are on the E M Bypass ? Are there speed radars on other roads as well?

A friend received a speeding ticket because he was doing 76 kmph in a 60 kmph speed limit zone.

While it is known that they are monitoring speed cams on flyovers but this is the first time, I have heard or seen about speeding fine on 'regular' roads and that too by speed cams.

Thoughts anyone.

There is nothing wrong here. There are speed limits for various kinds of roads, and in some places I have seen speed limit boards by the road side. Now this is might seem strange in our country where vehicles are usually fined for overspeed only on the highways. Roads abroad have this system or zones where one has to change speed based on their current locations even if it is for a small distance.

Hopefully this can also take care of over speeding on smaller roads and folks who worm their way through traffic breaking road rules.

They've expanded the coverage of speedcams in Delhi NCR quite a bit off late. Aside from my irritation about how low the limits are, I don't think it's a bad thing overall.
Getting a lot of the cabbies to pay their fines which over time have increased to more than 1L (Rs 2000/instance of overspeeding) for some of the guys I've met will be nigh impossible though. They'll need to find a better method.

Calcutta police has been using speed cameras for the past few years. They have succeeded in curbing high speed and negligent driving to a large extent on the usual wide high speed corridors like PC connector, EM bypass and other areas by using speed cameras at strategic places.

Your friend got a speeding ticket on PC connector which usually sees high traffic and is a usual high speed corridor. The speed limit across main Calcutta roads is usually 60kmph on wide roads and 40kmph on narrow roads inside the city. The flyover across the city are manned by speed cameras, so it’s no surprise that a speeding ticket was raised.

Also, speeding tickets here in Calcutta are usually accompanied by pictures so as to minimise the chances of wrong ticket which used to happen earlier.