Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2022, 12:15   #271
BHPian

Re: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for $44 billion

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Didn't quite understand this. Can you point to the post where I said Kathy Griffin was blocked because she mocked Elon Musk?
The Kathy Griffin suspension episode was an unnecessary distraction to otherwise whatever good he is doing in Twitter. Instead of outright suspension, he could have easily come up with an engineering solution:

Whenever someone changes their Display name:
1. Remove the Blue tick for a 30 days or so.
2. Put a tag next to the display name saying that it has changed in the recent x days.
3. Give more prominence to the handle (bold font), than to the Display name (grey font).
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 14:57   #272
Senior - BHPian

Re: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for $44 billion

A sample of free speech by Kathy Griffin.

"If this was free speech then I am Joe Biden"

https://www.phillyvoice.com/photo-ka...dia-firestorm/

Kathy Griffin and the likes with covert support from the liberal lobby can post such images publicly and still not got banned and stayed so long on the platform..this is just karma which is catching up.
Mind you.. this was when ISIS was making merry by beheading people online.

Last edited by poloman : 8th November 2022 at 14:59.
poloman is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 17:45   #273
BHPian

The timing is too close to comfort.

<conspiracy hat>

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...04201776828417

Quoting tweet text from deleted tweet:

Quote:
Public Citizen

@Public_Citizen
What. The. Hell.

Elon Musk just REMOVED the misinformation policies from Twitter’s rules.

Twitter is also not flagging stolen election lies as misinformation.

Election Day is tomorrow.

Democracy dies with the billionaires.
7:39 PM · Nov 7, 2022
</conspiracy hat>
nareshov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 18:07   #274
BHPian

When will Elon musk run for US presidency?
thanixravindran is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 18:14   #275
BHPian

Elon Musk reminds of that housing dot com guy Rahul Yadav. Too eager to prove he's the smartest chap around, when others with much experience and well intentioned advice and cautionary tales are brushed off. This piece by Vice very clearly details the pit he has dug himself into. It so throws light on why Meta did not sue The Wire over its botched up and misleading coverage of content moderation because if Meta went to court, and though Meta would be right, it still would have to show a lot of information which it doesn't want in order to prove its case.

Last edited by driver52001 : 8th November 2022 at 18:18.
driver52001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 18:35   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
When will Elon musk run for US presidency?
Had he been an US citizen at birth, he would already have thrown his hat in the ring. Fortunately for us/US, he isn't one.

Hence, for all his might, he can only control America virtually.

But as we have seen earlier, social media can play a huge role in shaping absurd narratives and birthing half-truths.

Whereas the pre-Musk Twitter was slated to be pro-left, it wouldn't be in the best interests of humanity if the Muskian version turns out be extremely right leaning.

PS: No intention to enter into any political discussions; just adding a factoid and a related opinion.
dailydriver is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 21:27   #277
Senior - BHPian

The free speech absolutism might work in Western countries to a certain degree but it's going to run into so many issues in other countries, like India. The article below is over a year old, so long before Musk entered the picture. The government wanted to jail Twitter employees for allowing critical accounts to exist!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...s-twitter-jail

If I was an employee at Twitter India, there's no way in hell I'm sticking around and be collateral damage in a battle of egos. Most guys working there are smart people who can do far more productive things with their lives.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 21:57   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Stellantis temporarily stops Twitter Ads after Elon Musk buyout.

Quote:
The automaker is just the latest high-profile global company to pull its paid ads while it waits for the radical changes taking place at Twitter to shake out. Volkswagen and General Motors have already axed their ad spots, as have other firms from outside the automotive sector.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 23:03   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

From the Atlantic, some interesting perspectives and observations:

Link: https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...tisers/672029/

Quote:
Elon Musk has spent the past 12 years tweeting whatever comes into his mind, often without major negative consequences. That was before he owned the place. Now, less than two weeks after his $44 billion purchase, the world’s richest man is finding that his actions—which recently included tweeting a baseless conspiracy theory to Hillary Clinton about the assault on Paul Pelosi—may actually have consequences. Advertisers are fleeing, the employees remaining after a round of mass layoffs are alienated, and onlookers are completely vexed by a freewheeling approach that has coincided with a rise in hate speech on the platform, among other problems.

Musk’s fans see the billionaire as a visionary, but it’s worth noting that many casual observers—people whose only real understanding of Musk is as the guy who put the fancy electric cars on their streets—have also internalized the heuristic that he is Good at Business and the type of man who spends his waking moments dreaming of how to save humanity from its existential problems. But what the past two weeks demonstrate is that Musk is, at best, a mediocre executive—and undoubtedly a terrible, distracted manager.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th November 2022 at 12:09. Reason: Added the Link to the article; keeping the excerpt in line with the fair usage policy.
Jeroen is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 23:20   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Musk’s fans see the billionaire as a visionary. But what the past two weeks demonstrate is that Musk is, at best, a mediocre executive—and undoubtedly a terrible, distracted manager.
Perfectly summarized sir

I was a Musk fan and equated him to a modern day Tony Stark (Iron man) until 2 years back. His actions in the last 2 years has led me to following questions on Google -

"Is Elon Musk eccentric? ",
"Is Elon Musk a jerk? ",
"Is Elon Musk a madman with too much power?"

No points for guessing answers. Also, too bad I had to see my hero fall in my own lifetime.

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 8th November 2022 at 23:25.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 23:27   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikduttajsr View Post
Perfectly summarized.
Yes, I thought that was pretty good too!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 19:48   #282
BHPian

I read somewhere that Musk wants to put entire Twitter experience behind a paywall. Twitter would then be free only for a limited period use in a month & extended use would require one to pay, even for browsing it.
Yeah everything will be monetized & it coupd possible kill Twitter as well.
Old 9th November 2022, 20:41   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
I read somewhere that Musk wants to put entire Twitter experience behind a paywall. Twitter would then be free only for a limited period use in a month & extended use would require one to pay, even for browsing it.
Yeah everything will be monetized & it coupd possible kill Twitter as well.
I think if Twitter dies or even if it goes behind paywall then another such social media app will take it's place.
I mean all successful social media apps and networks are free. Most news websites have been free. All mobile operating systems except for IOS have been more or less free.
An average person can use his pc and mobile practically without paying for any software except for Windows operating system and an accounting software. Most everything can be had freeware.
That means there is a successful business model which allows these 'freebies'.
So if Musk is thinking along the paywall lines then it would be indeed death blow for Twitter.
Old 9th November 2022, 22:07   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
. All mobile operating systems except for IOS have been more or less free..
If somebody charged you for IOS you have been scammed. I have been using Apple products since 2009 and I have never ever had to pay for operating system on any of its devices, nor for updates or upgrades.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 22:26   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I mean all successful social media apps and networks are free.
Windows
there is a successful business model which allows these 'freebies'.
That is how all social networks are designed; not the only way they could have been. This business model is just herd mentality among the different founders. Not many took the risk of trying something new instead of free, and still attract users. One reason is that is how internet in general was perceived at birth. Yes they achieved success, but whether it will remain that way is for the future to say.

If it is free, then you are the product.

We are "profiled" on Twitter; our tweets are analyzed and "trends" created, and this is sold to advertisers without paying us a share.

Windows has free alternatives like Linux which is much more user friendly today than 20 years ago. Like, my Dad uses Linux on his laptop, while not being a computer guy.

Apple is an ecosystem; the price of MacOS or iOS is included in the price of their hardware.
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed