Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2022, 08:43   #406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for $44 billion

We keep thinking Elon Musk is one strange founder CEO who does crazy things. Even Google founders were like that. Larry Page wanted to fire all managers and keep only engineers.

But he had investors who stopped him from going ahead with his plans. Google founders were brilliant in identifying technology trends and acquiring those companies, like YouTube and Android. But running the company was not their strength, despite having 51% voting rights.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st November 2022 at 08:44.
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 11:37   #407
BHPian

Re: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for $44 billion

While we are at it has anybody here actually left Twitter after the Musk buyout and not planning to go back? I see a lot of "I am leaving" posts in Twitter, but they are still lurking around. If they really don't leave then there is no "hope" of Musk Twitter going down.
Old 21st November 2022, 17:55   #408
Senior - BHPian

In a twist of irony some people are actually rooting for failure of Twitter for a totally different reason.

If Musk pulls off a Twitter miracle with half the staff then it can be taken as a signal in other companies too !!

My 2c contribution to this thread.
"Japanese Twitter Trends Shift Away From Politics To Pop-Culture After Curation Team Is Laid Off."
Link.

I have always felt that a context stripping medium of communication has no place in today's hyperconnected world. Twitter has been weaponized and world will be better by one less social media platform.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 19:38   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
I saw the actual quoted post clearly called out it as conjecture not once but twice.
Yes but conjecture from an insider. Which changes the context, isn't it?

How would it be if I were recommending financial products on YouTube based on an anonymous in-the-know friend's guidance, and at the end absolve myself of all responsibilities by adding a disclaimer "not financial advice"?
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 20:15   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We keep thinking Elon Musk is one strange founder CEO who does crazy things. Even Google founders were like that. Larry Page wanted to fire all managers and keep only engineers.
Not sure how many managers they had. I have never worked under a non-engineering manager. Wouldn't the teams have managers who worked as engineers before ? I can understand at the top you need someone who is purely managerial, financial, marketing kind of people.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:41   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

France goes tough on twitter. Twitter France's head quits.
Quote:
'It's over': Twitter France's head quits amid layoffs
- France demands Twitter ensure it can preserve 'safe environment'

Quote:
French regulator Arcom said on Monday it had sent a letter to Twitter asking it to ensure by Nov. 24 that it can meet its legal obligation to guarantee transparent information despite a series of drastic job cuts
Quote:
Arcom would like to express its deep concern about the direct consequences of such decisions on Twitter's ability to maintain a safe environment for its users
Quote:
It added that Twitter must fight against the manipulation of information within the framework of a 2018 law which imposes on it a duty of cooperation towards Arcom.

Arcom said it had asked Twitter in writing to confirm that it is able to face its legal obligations, in particular to ensure the effective moderation of illegal or harmful content and practices while guaranteeing respect for users’ rights, including their freedom of expression.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 09:12   #412
Senior - BHPian

Twitter added 1.6M daily active users this past week, another all-time high.

Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for  billion-20221122_091059.jpg

Elon Musk

Quote:
Holding off relaunch of Blue Verified until there is high confidence of stopping impersonation.

Will probably use different color check for organizations than individuals.
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:08   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Twitter added 1.6M daily active users this past week, another all-time high.
In your chart itself you can see they "added" 1.8M from week of 9/10 to week of 9/16. And 3.2M in the subsequent week. Saying 1.6M is "all-time high" is certainly not correct.

Also, calling DAU changes as "additions" is disingenuous ab initio.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:18   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In your chart itself you can see they "added" 1.8M from week of 9/10 to week of 9/16. And 3.2M in the subsequent week. Saying 1.6M is "all-time high" is certainly not correct.
In Elon Musk chart

Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for  billion-smartselect_20221122101708_twitter.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd November 2022 at 10:30.
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:28   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
In Elon Musk chart
Elon Musk has a vested interest. It is up to us to ensure we understand the nuances.

Maybe he intended to say that mDAUs are at an all-time high, not the difference from previous week. But looking at a longer period it seems the growth is only as per track and not something out of ordinary happening in these last three weeks.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ers-worldwide/
binand is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:47   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
I have never worked under a non-engineering manager. Wouldn't the teams have managers who worked as engineers before? I can understand at the top you need someone who is purely managerial, financial or marketing kind of people.
I faced this dilemma after quitting Honeywell and joining a SEMI company, here I had to bear with a Manager who was from a Software background and expected Mechanical Engineering work to have daily issues, ticketing, and fixing bugs. My work was a long-term project with very few day-to-day tasks, my Manager could never come to terms with me, we used to clash over-reporting of project status every quarter, and he later hired a Program Manager with a Mechanical Engineering background to prepare a visual dashboard. Later the same experience was repeated in another SEMI company, we clashed over the difference between Should cost and BOM cost.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:04   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Yes but conjecture from an insider. Which changes the context, isn't it?

How would it be if I were recommending financial products on YouTube based on an anonymous in-the-know friend's guidance, and at the end absolve myself of all responsibilities by adding a disclaimer "not financial advice"?
I understand your broader point but I think the example isn't probably that apt. While the post may or may not be completely wrong in its assumptions, it doesn't actually result in someone gaining/losing much from it as Twitter isn't traded now. While someone giving financial advice on YouTube can influence others and can result in loss for such people. As such there are many regulations with regards the latter, at least in India.

Ideally, yes, whenever the information is too good to be true or is from someone we don't know, better to dilute the overall information and just give a very vague or broad picture without going into details. But then again it's just my personal opinion. Within this forum we have seen many scoops or rumours from unnamed sources posted regularly, some turn out to be true some are wide off the mark. At the end of the day probably better to take anything from unnamed sources just as rumours and not give much importance unless there is enough corroborative evidence.
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:08   #418
BHPian

He is trying to rub it in. Are people still hopeful, BTW?

Name:  twit.png
Views: 138
Size:  59.4 KB
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:49   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
He is trying to rub it in. Are people still hopeful, BTW?
Hopeful that Twitter will survive in its pre-28/10/22 form? Personally, I'm not. Whatever Twitter becomes it won't be just that.

I had been avoiding this thread for a couple of days, and in the meantime:

1. The blue tick relaunch scheduled for 29/11 has been postponed. https://www.ft.com/content/8218a5c3-...1-c977b94f6327

2. Twitter has not been paying its bills. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/22/t...t-cutting.html

3. Advertisers are really dumping Twitter. https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...r-exodus-musk/

4. And why wouldn't they? Hate speech on Twitter is on the rise after Musk unblocked hate-spewing accounts. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...rans-accounts/

(there was an article about specific/well-known anti-trans hashtags trending on Twitter in the aftermath of the Colorado nightclub shooting, but can't locate it just now).

5. There are now fears that the increase in hate speech will trigger app suspension rules at Google Play / Apple App Store. https://www.fastcompany.com/90815181...ion-of-twitter

6. Regulatory issues are mounting outside USA - France, Germany, EU as a whole. There aren't (enough) people in those countries to deal with this. This Politico article is a good read. https://www.politico.eu/article/elon...n-enforcement/

In summary - if Musk can keep the lights on till the time he rebuilds these teams and relations and come up with a profit-making product he can surely be called a miracle worker. How much time he has, is the question.

PS: I see some of the people I follow quitting Twitter and switching to alternatives (Post.news & Mastodon). I also intend to setup accounts on these platforms since I don't want to lose access to their wisdom.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 14:05   #420
BHPian

I am a little perplexed with the passion in the opinions here. I feel as if I'm missing out on the zeitgeist. For me Twitter is the best source for memes, and a few good threads but nothing that evokes such emotion as evident from a few members.

Could someone please help me understand how one is picking sides in this fight? What's at stake?

And please speak as you might to a young child, or a golden retriever.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks