Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2022, 11:08   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Hair Transplant Thread

Although we have some old threads on hair loss, what we really need is a dedicated one for hair transplants. The web is filled with mixed reviews & information, what better place than Team-BHP to get precise advice (as always).

I'm 45 and have decent hair. But I'm thinking of getting my receding hairline fixed before it's too late. The hairline has stretched back a bit too much for the kind of hairstyle I like, and the hair on top has thinned considerably.

- Any BHPians who can offer hair transplant advice? Am sure many have been through the process. Dos & don'ts?

- Here's a post from BHPian Mayankk.

- Any highly recommended doctors in Mumbai, and elsewhere?

- What is the life of the transplanted hair? 10 years? 20? Do we have to do a transplant later again for the same area?

- How is Eugenix? They are heavily marketed. Based in North India with branches elsewhere (including Mumbai). Doctor profiles seem impressive. Any reviews on Eugenix?

- Any comments on Finasteride, Minoxidil, Redensyl etc?

- If I'm just fixing the front hairline area, do I need to go full bald before the procedure, or not?

- Any before / after pictures from BHPians who've done the hair transplant?

- What did you pay per graft? Or in total?

Thanks!

EDIT on 18th May: I got it from Eugenix & my experience is in this post.

Nothing like pictures to get it started. Apparently, this dude has gotten a transplant too:
The Hair Transplant Thread-ezgif.comwebptojpg19scaled.jpg

Before:
The Hair Transplant Thread-mainqimge77916a74ae46d94c5ec8ec9ca09e87b.png

As has "bhai"
The Hair Transplant Thread-mainqimge79041c2a46c21602a6fce4f213ca4aa.png
Source

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2022 at 12:40.
GTO is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 11:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hair Transplant Thread

Appreciated GTO.
Thread has been started at right time for me as i just started assessing all possible way to improve my hair density and baldness.
In Chennai, we are having a lot of clinics exhibiting their ability to do Hair weaving to transplantation. but I don't have any close pal to share their feedback on to go with them without much doubts.
I will be closely following this thread to understand and fix a brand/clinic to do hair transplantation in near future.
Definitely i'll post my findings and share for our fellow members benefit.
aks_karthik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 12:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

I know it's purely a personal choice but I'm all game for going bald if and when it happens!

I don't know much about hair transplants but I do know that Finasteride has major side effects for men.

Quote:
Common side effects of 1mg finasteride (the dosage used to treat hair loss due to male pattern baldness) include: Erectile dysfunction (ED). In clinical trials, approximately 1.3 percent of men who used finasteride experienced erectile dysfunction,
https://www.drugwatch.com/propecia/s...%20the%20issue.
Captain Slow is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 12:46   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I know it's purely a personal choice but I'm all game for going bald if and when it happens!
Thanks! I was just waiting for someone to reply with this. But let's not go off-topic anymore. Please post only on hair transplants. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 13:11   #5
BHPian

I am someone who has got a hair transplant done recently (close to two years back) and I can pitch in with some answers / clarifications.

- I had/have grade 7 baldness. To provide decent coverage, I would have needed about 7000 grafts. Since my donor area is also weak, what we could get was only about 2300 grafts and I could only get just a thin coverage on the frontal part of the scalp, but I am still reasonably happy with the results I got. What I am trying to say is that, you need to have realistic expectations of the outcome based on the strength of your donor area.

- Mine was a two day sitting process (each day about 2+ hours for extraction and ~ 2 hours for implant - if I remember correctly). I went alone driving and drove back after the session. However, the procedure is not completely painless (first few hours especially after the effect of anesthetics are gone) and has a healing time of about 2 weeks.

- The newly implanted hair normally falls down in few weeks time. This is completely normal, and they will start glowing back slowly. Full results can take 8 months to a Year to be visible.

Finally, I would say, people sitting on the fence should consider doing it, but find a good surgeon (take feedback from people who have done it from the same center) and have realistic expectations considering the strength of your donor area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- What is the life of the transplanted hair? 10 years? 20? Do we have to do a transplant later again for the same area?
As per theory, the life of the transplanted hair should be same as the life of the graft (same as if it stayed the back of your head, in the donor area). The logic behind hair transplant is that hair in the back of your head is not impacted by male pattern baldness and should live for several years - if not your life time. My transplant has been too recent to provide feedback from my experience, but I would expect (and Hope ) most of them to be there for my life time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Minoxidil and Finasteride are only temporary solutions as per my knowledge. Hair fall is expected to stop / slow down when you use them , but will resume the moment you stop using them. Haven't much heard of Redensyl before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
- If I'm just fixing the front hairline area, do I need to go full bald before the procedure, or not?
I think this would be needed as at-least the donor area needs to be shaved before the procedure. However, a surgeon, may be able to suggest if there are alternate ways for your specific case.

Quote:
- What did you pay per graft? Or in total?
I paid around Rs. 35/- per graft - in Kerala.
satnan is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 13:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:

Hair loss is hereditary in my family, most of them are bald by the age of 30 so i always knew time would come and i should prepare for it.

I had started noticing hair loss and thinning 5 to 6 years back but it was nothing serious then one of my father's cousin told me to get a consultation at Berkowitz and the doctor said everything looks normal but i knew and even my father knew this is how he experienced hair loss so they gave me some medicated lotion, shampoo along with DHT Blockers and they worked great but there were too many side effects to DHT Blockers that i later on read online so did not continue.

After 3 to 4 years the thinning continued and i lost most of the density in my hair and started noticing my receding hair line.

Then around this time i visited elder cousin who had lost a lot of hair to the extent that his scalp was visible but this time he had a head full of lush hair, i asked him and he recommended me a doctor.

The doctor here understood everything and wrote a prescription for some medicine for Dandruff which i had to take for 14 days and Minoxidil Topical solution.

Minoxidil takes 2 to 3 months to show results but works great as long as you use it regularly, if you stop applying the hair will go back to how they were.

I and my cousin have been using it and it has been working fine without any side effects.

Last edited by revvharder : 25th April 2022 at 13:43.
revvharder is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 13:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I had started close trimming my hair in 2010, and shaving from 2014 onwards, but after repeated insistence, I got transplants done in September 2019. It was supposed to be two sittings, but Covid.
After that I have not had the time or the inclination to go for the second sitting. The first session was about 3000 hair, and looks very symmetrical, and is only on the forward part. the crown, awaited. It looks weird, so I have started shaving again since june-2020 or thereabouts. If I manage to go for the second sitting, I may let it grow out, but overall, I am more than happy with rocking the bald look.
What you should be aware of:
1. It hurts a bit, not when you are getting it done, but after.
2. It does not have to be expensive, you have to do your research on the results of any doctor. Look at the doctor, NOT the clinic.
3. 2 weeks of rest necessary for your face to recuperate.
4. About a month of recuperation for your head, for the scabs and all to fall out.
5. If you have a very large patch, my personal suggestion is, let it go. A bit of a recession, or the temples, that's ok.
mayankk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 13:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
- Any BHPians who can offer hair transplant advice? Am sure many have been through the process. Dos & don'ts?
Why not try weaving if the receding hair-line is not a case of MPB? It will be a lot cheaper than transplant. One famous example of not so successful transplant is Virender Sehwag.

Minoxidil on the scalp or powdered finasteride tablets + minoxidil on the scalp will result in nothing.

Quote:
As has "bhai"
Attachment 2300532
Source
He has had a transplant or weave?

Last edited by Swapnil4585 : 25th April 2022 at 14:00.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 13:57   #9
BHPian

Out of the 3 khans, I think only Shahrukh has natural hair. Everyone knows about Salman but I think Aamir has me confused. If you look at these pics of him from his first movie Holi (1984) you can see his insufficient hairline:

Name:  images 1.jpeg
Views: 2437
Size:  14.8 KB

Name:  images 2.jpeg
Views: 2416
Size:  14.1 KB

But these later images seem to suggest otherwise:

Name:  images 4.jpeg
Views: 2360
Size:  12.8 KB

Is that a wig?

Coming to Hair Transplant, I read that it's highly dependent on the skill of the surgeon and costs accordingly. There are side effects too like scarring, infection, etc. You might continue to lose hair even after doing it if you are balding.

Link: https://www.healthline.com/health/do...k#side-effects
CarNerd is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 15:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Any comments on Finasteride, Minoxidil...
Effects start wearing off within days/weeks of stopping use, and both have side effects while in-use, so tread carefully if going the pharmaceutical-based treatment route as you'll essentially be taking them forever once you start.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 15:40   #11
PVS
BHPian

Adding another thread to add more pointers to the discussion: I had my hair transplant in March 2008, and had posted the experience in the below post:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1235076 (The Trichologist, Hair & Scalp Thread)
Now, after 14 years, my plate is almost bald, however, I would keep it bald for now and will not go in for a transplant again.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th April 2022 at 21:29. Reason: minor typo
PVS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 15:44   #12
BHPian

This thread has came at a right time when myself experiencing frontal hair thinning. While I am having hair loss problem from my college days where lots of hair were falling during shampooing. Actually I have taken hair fall treatment from five doctors from different cities. I started with homeopathy treatment from Dr. Batra’s Clinic in Pune. Then two different doctors from Aurangabad. When I moved to Mumbai, took the treatment from Mumbai’s renowned trichologist Dr. Tvacha Clinic and Rich-feel. All these treatment resulted into temporary hair fall stop but nothing permanent solution. All these treatments just prolonged my baldness process. I have just entered into 40’s club but this baldness showing more age than actual.

I was also thinking about hair transplant treatment but refrained myself due to fear if treatment goes wrong. There was a news about a death of a business man from Mumbai whose hair transplant gone wrong. There are lot of myths surrounded at this treatment such as complex procedures, not affordable, results vary, social phobia after treatment, can cause death etc. If this thread suggest any good surgeon with good credibility and successful patient history then keeping all above things aside I am to ready try hair transplant.

There are lot of clinics and studios in Mumbai which offer hair weaving and transplant but not sure how good and secure their treatment is. Both Dr, Tvacha Clinic and Richfeel offer hair transplant treatment but not sure about their success rate and patient history. All fellow members suggestion and experiences are welcome.
sandeepsc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 15:46   #13
BHPian

I am 38 and almost bald. You see those uncles with hair only on back side of head and nothing elsewhere. This I got from genes from my dad who went bald in his early 30s and same happened with me. Luckily my brother doesn't have this issue.

I did couple of times considered hair restoration (whatever way possible) but didn't pursue further but would love to watch this thread to know what are the possibilities. May be I am not the right candidate due to extensive hair loss and almost full bald head and even if I do proceed, it may be prohibitively expensive.
raksrules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 16:13   #14
BHPian

Any feedback on Plasma Rich Platelet (PRP) therapy? My cousin claims it is working for him (Male, 47). He needs 10+ sessions, with each session costing ~4k in Mumbai.
mpthy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 00:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Any comments on Finasteride, Minoxidil, Redensyl etc?
I have been on Minoxidil for little while now, yet to see any significant change on my receding hairline, however of late, everyone have been commenting on my mustache, which has grown thick, I never used Minoxidil on my mustache!
motorpsycho is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks