Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 00:00   #1
BHPian

What do cops in bang have against couples?

Ok this is about an incident that happened last night. Me and my gf were sitting in a park in rmv 2nd stage..at around 9:30 pm or so these cops roll in and demand to know what we were doing. They were interogating us like we were common criminals..threatening to book a case and stuff. Finally i got them to let us go but not before paying a "fine" of 200 bucks. I felt really disgusted at the way we both were treated. I mean..are there rules that say you cant be in a park past 9 pm..?..and that too the park was in a pretty safe area. Funny thing is that there was another couple there who had just left 5 mins before we were about to leave.
Old 18th June 2007, 00:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dude this is common scene here in Chandigarh and almost everywhere... They know there is nothing wrong its a way to mint money...

This BF/GF stuff not kinda accepted in out Indian society / religion so they take advantage of it.
Old 18th June 2007, 00:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tell them your dad/uncle/friend is a cop. Or tell them to take you to the police station and file a complaint. Make sure she does the talking. Watch them run.
Old 18th June 2007, 00:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Ok this is about an incident that happened last night. Me and my gf were sitting in a park in rmv 2nd stage..at around 9:30 pm or so these cops roll in and demand to know what we were doing. They were interogating us like we were common criminals..threatening to book a case and stuff. Finally i got them to let us go but not before paying a "fine" of 200 bucks. I felt really disgusted at the way we both were treated. I mean..are there rules that say you cant be in a park past 9 pm..?..and that too the park was in a pretty safe area. Funny thing is that there was another couple there who had just left 5 mins before we were about to leave.
This is India, wake up , cops are cheap, rules mean nothing as long as they dont get covered on TV, stop sitting in parks, avoid the scavengers coming and demanding money, simple.
Old 18th June 2007, 01:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have been to bangalore and the situation is MUCH MUCH BETTER there!

You should come to kerala once in a while and see the situation. Me and my friends (4 boys and 2 girls) were restrained by the police for sitting inside (and around) an open car and talking. That too in front of a temple at 11am in the morning. , inside the City, not even a kilometer away from the place where the trivandrum guys usually hang out.

To make matters worse, they told us they cant let us go till another jeep comes with the SI. We had to stand there waiting, with the public all saying non-sense and asking each other what happened.
Old 18th June 2007, 09:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

as Viper said, tell them to take you to the police station andfile a case or call your place if they know.

or else what my friend did,

tell them you are a journo. (he is actually one though)
Old 18th June 2007, 11:02   #7
BHPian

Hey viper good advice..and my relatives do know some higher ups in the police force..and in the lokyuta office. Being from the us (my gf is also from the us..we are both medical students) im not used to all of this. That too one of the cops was drunk!
Old 18th June 2007, 11:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Tell them your dad/uncle/friend is a cop. Or tell them to take you to the police station and file a complaint. Make sure she does the talking. Watch them run.
Simply solution, Marry your GF, Cops dont attack married couples...

Abhi
Old 18th June 2007, 11:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

A friend of mine and his roommates were pulled out from their rented house in BTM 2nd stage and taken to the police station, because they had 2 girls in the house. The girls involved are actually engaged to the guys concerned (one of them being my friend) and even their parents know about their respective relationships. The guys (3 of them) were made to sit outside the cell in the police station till early morning, and then asked to get lost , duly after all money available on them was looted by the cops.

Cali, its always best to be at some cafe when with your spouse/gf, or else some safer place, as opposed to a park. 'Once bitten, twice shy'. I know you wont repeat it again.
Old 18th June 2007, 11:36   #10
BHPian

I dont know whether this response goes well with other members, but I honestly believe one should avoid parks at night. These parks turn into grounds for all sorts of activities post sunset. Since we are all aware of this, it is better to avoid them completely. The other day, I was walking back home past the Lakshman Rao park (Nanda road park) at night and found people taking drugs, pro's, people completely drunk, etc and ofcourse the very own hoysala (police patrol). It is really bad. Why take chances?
Old 18th June 2007, 11:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Kvish, its better to avoid such places once its dark. The cops take advantage of our culture's view on such relationships and milk us for money.

Best bet like someone mentioned, the baristas, CCDs are safer places to hang out with your girl. Donot sit in the car with her parked by the side of the road, that is also inviting trouble.

Drifter
Old 18th June 2007, 11:44   #12
Team-BHP Support

The indian Penal code has a very draconian provision called "Roaming under suspicious circumstances".
Using this very legal provision cops can harass anybody. Such laws exist mostly in countries ruled by dictators, and I guess this is one of the few democracies where such laws exist.
The whole problem stems from the "absolute power" "without any responsibility" given to the police force.
My suggestion. Avoid getting into situations where such laws can be used against you.
I have also been at the receiving end of such "absolute power" and have realized the fallacy of, "for the people, by the people, of the people"
Its actually "Far from the peoply, bye bye the people, and "off" the people "
So friends, ladies(if there are any here) and gentlemen, stay out of parks.
In some cities stay out of pubs and discs too unless you want to be hauled to the police station and have your photographs appearing in local dailies as part of "immoral racket"
Old 18th June 2007, 11:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Being from the us (my gf is also from the us..we are both medical students) im not used to all of this. That too one of the cops was drunk!
Well, you must be in Ramaiah (I presume) and trust me I have passed out of that college and police is always roaming around the campus and near by areas to make sure everythings fine. And when it comes to parks, most of them are infamous at night for prostitution. I'd suggest, try the barista/coffee day on NEW BEL road. And these things come up only with non-localites. And too many things happen in and around that area, so these things are a bit strict there. Well, as for RMV, it's an awesome place to be..
Old 18th June 2007, 11:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well one of the reasons was that the cops smashed up a sex & extortion racket here in Bangalore last week. It happens in Cubbon park. Women solicit there and if you pick them up, they take you a secluded part of the park. There a couple of goondas jump on you, steal all your valuables and let you go. You can't complain becoz of what you were trying to do. Sometimes its women acting as if they are in distress. She acts as if someones out to chase them and then you give her a lift. Then the same scenario gets repeated !!! So stay off parks till cops cool down on this issue.
Old 18th June 2007, 12:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey viper good advice..and my relatives do know some higher ups in the police force..and in the lokyuta office. Being from the us (my gf is also from the us..we are both medical students) im not used to all of this. That too one of the cops was drunk!
Being from the US, I'm sure you know that parks there are also quite unsafe late at night. The cops are definitely well behaved there, from what I've seen. :-)

Most Viewed