Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 11:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Drunken Driving: Speeding Santro kills 2 kids

Call centre man runs over 2 kids; 4 of family in hospital

New Delhi, June 18: THE summer vacation ended on a tragic note for the Singh family, based in Tigri Extension near Sangam Vihar. The family lost daughter Soni (3) and son Ankit (2) after a call centre employee ran over the family near Sangam Vihar late Sunday night when they were awaiting an auto-rickshaw after getting off a bus, back from village near Agra.

Singh’s wife Suman, one-year-old child Anu and brother-in-law Shyam Bir are in AIIMS Trauma Centre at present. The one-year-old received fractures in both legs, reports said.

Advertisement
The incident took place around 3 am on Monday.

Eyewitnesses have told police that the accused, Darpan Singh, 22, was inebriated and lost control of the car while maneuvering past a pothole and ran over the family.

He hit three auto-rickshaws on the road after the mishap.

According to police, the auto-rickshaw drivers and Lal Singh caught Malik when he tried to accelerate and drive away after the accident.

Malik, who works for a Gurgaon-based call centre and lives in Janakpuri, was returning from a party in Faridabad, the police said.

“I stood a few metres from the others and was bargaining with an auto-rickshaw driver when the tragedy occurred,” Singh told Newsline today. “Soni was hit first…then Ankit flew to the other side of the road.’

Soni died on the spot. Younger brother Ankit died at AIIMS.

Singh said his brother-in-law Shyam Bir was on his maiden trip to Delhi.

“I have not yet told my wife about Soni and Ankit’s death,” said Singh, who works at a LPG godown. “Soni wanted to go to the village… I didn’t know it was going to be her last trip.”

Malik is an Engineering graduate from Nagpur. His father Deepak Malik, who runs a business, owned the Santro car (CH-03-X4482).

‘I lost control while trying to get car out of a pothole’
While eyewitnesses told police that Darpan Malik, arrested after the Sangam Vihar accident, was inebriated, medical report submitted before the court of Metropolitan Magistrate Jagdish Kumar declared him sober at the time of the mishap.

Presented in the court on Monday afternoon, Malik submitted: “My car got stuck in a pothole. I lost control and hit the auto-rickshaw while trying to get (the car) out.”

Malik claimed he had to accelerate in order to get out of the ditch and lost control of the car.

Malik was granted bail on a personal bond of Rs 25,000.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Call centre man runs over 2 kids; 4 of family in hospital

New Delhi, June 18: T The family lost daughter Soni (3) and son Ankit (2) after a call centre employee ran over the family near Sangam Vihar late

Eyewitnesses have told police that the accused, Darpan Singh, 22, was inebriated and lost control of the car while maneuvering past a pothole and ran over the family.

I saw the story yesterday on the TV and i felt sad for the family's lost (RIP)but he kept opn saying that he was 50-60 and was not drunk at all

after hitting the pothole he lost control of the vehicle hit the victims

and the age of the children you said is total wrong from what i heard the tv news said they where 10 13 i suppose

and what does call center man runs over children mean

do all call center employ run over anything on the road what has profession to do with this accident

i feel sorry for the driver if the car to may he to be freed

BTW what were the family doing in the middle of the road and if they had been on the side walk maybe the accident could have been avoided

Last edited by manikjeet : 19th June 2007 at 11:42.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

These guys should be beated to death. Idiots, why the hell they drive the car after boozing in a party.

Drivers who dont get behind the wheels even after a small peg or a mini beer can be counted in India.

Very very sad incident. My heart goes out for those small kids.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

If i got the facts right, the kids were standing on the road, while dad was haggling with the auto guy? First mistake, which is something we get to see quite often on our roads. Correct me if wrong.

Whether the guy was drunk or not, we dont know, but cops are known to file cases as per their whims and fancies.

Condolences to the victims and their families.
Old 19th June 2007, 12:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know about the incident....i read in newspaper this morning... even though it is 3AM u have to be careful....
If u are doing 50-60kmph, u definitely cannot kill people on a deserted road in 3AM....he should be doing very high speed to loose control...

Abhi
Old 19th June 2007, 12:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
While eyewitnesses told police that Darpan Malik, arrested after the Sangam Vihar accident, was inebriated, medical report submitted before the court of Metropolitan Magistrate Jagdish Kumar declared him sober at the time of the mishap.
These eye witnesses should be sued! On what basis did they give a report to the cops that the driver was drunk? Is that everytime there is an accident, people witnessing is assume that the driver is drunk? Scary!
Old 19th June 2007, 12:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
If i got the facts right, the kids were standing on the road, while dad was haggling with the auto guy? First mistake, which is something we get to see quite often on our roads. Correct me if wrong.
That is what i am asking what were the children doing ion the middle of the road they should be on a sidewalk

even late at night we all should be carefull

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
These eye witnesses should be sued! On what basis did they give a report to the cops that the driver was drunk? Is that everytime there is an accident, people witnessing is assume that the driver is drunk? Scary!

same happened to me when i had a accident in my NHC the bystanders assumed that i was drunk
Old 19th June 2007, 12:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After seeing how useful <sarcasm intended> the eye witnesses can get in the incident involving my car, i say they need to be shot first.
Old 19th June 2007, 12:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Sad to know about the incident....i read in newspaper this morning... even though it is 3AM u have to be careful....
If u are doing 50-60kmph, u definitely cannot kill people on a deserted road in 3AM....he should be doing very high speed to loose control...

Abhi
Hey
akroy

man you can loose the control of a car in a split of second i have seen people loose control while taking a turn and that to very slowly

so we cann't assume a car has to be fast to loose control

a pothole even at very slow speed can disturb the balance of a car
Old 19th June 2007, 12:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well read about another incident on the Mumbai- Goa highway near Panvel.

4 people including a pregnant woman died when the Indica they were travelling rammed head on into a bus. All were call centre employees and went to the Goa highway for breakfast and a drive. On the way back - they tried overtaking a trailer on a curve and did not see the bus coming from the opposite direction. A head on ram and all 4 died while the no one in the bus is injured seriously.

And what does the police do ? Arrest and book the bus driver for rash and negligent driving
Old 19th June 2007, 12:50   #11
Team-BHP Support

Gautam, in this case, the bus is the bigger vehicle, and as per Indian understanding and convention, 'The bigger vehicle is ALWAYS at fault'.

Case closed.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
If i got the facts right, the kids were standing on the road, while dad was haggling with the auto guy?
The kids were sitting on the pavement actually

Quote:
These eye witnesses should be sued! On what basis did they give a report to the cops that the driver was drunk?
The auto drivers & others at the scene apprehended the guy & handed him over to the police. I don't think the cops had to take a report from the eyewinesses, they must have assessed for themselves that he was drunk.

He was returning at 3.15 am from a party in Faridabad to his house in Janakpuri - I would say he'd downed quite a few & was SPEEDING. Went on to hit 3 autos, there's a picture of one in the TOI, I'd say it looks like he hit the auto (after hitting the kids on the pavement) at a fair bit of speed.

According to the TOI report, after hitting the kids & the three autos, he apparently got out & said something to the effect of "you do not have to worry, I will take care of everything".

Of course, now there'll be a lot of versions floating around but tell me - late night/early morning-returning from a party-high speed-lost control-people dead.....doesn't it all sound familiar ?

Poor kids - whats tragic is the fact that their mother had apparently told the father that they should travel the next morning (from Agra to Delhi), not go at night. Well, fate stepped in.......

Last edited by suman : 19th June 2007 at 13:09.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Malik, who was returning home from his Faridabad office, lost control of his Santro car, which first collided with a series of vehicles parked near the bus stand and then hit the victims. He also sustained serious injuries.

"Malik's medical examination suggested that he was under heavy influence of alcohol," a senior police official said.

According to the police, all the victims were rushed to the nearby All Indian Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), where the doctors declared three-year-old Ankit and his six-year-old sibling Sonu brought dead.
Quoted from the article here
Drunk BPO employee kills two-Delhi-Cities-The Times of India

The driver was drunk all right. 2 infants lost their lives due to his carelessness. Very sad.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Hey
akroy

man you can loose the control of a car in a split of second i have seen people loose control while taking a turn and that to very slowly

so we cann't assume a car has to be fast to loose control

a pothole even at very slow speed can disturb the balance of a car
Manik, u caught my words...I know that but what I meant was that u cannot kill 2 people in at speed (even if u loose control) and spot on...

Abhi
Old 19th June 2007, 14:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
And what does the police do ? Arrest and book the bus driver for rash and negligent driving
Yeah read that today morning. Was pretty outraged. Infact the HT times Mumbai edition had reports on three accidents. Damn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks