Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 10:54   #1
Team-BHP Support

Schoolgirl bleeds to death in mishap

This article was in on TOI headlines Pune edition today and I thought it is valuable for all of us to know what bystanders actually want!

Quote:
Bystanders Waste Time Assaulting ‘Killer’ Driver Instead Of Rushing Victim To Hospital

Pune: Misplaced priority on the part of a crowd witnessing a car accident cost a tenth standard girl her life opposite Amar Heights on Aundh road early on Wednesday morning.
Megha Gautam Goswami (15), a student of St Joseph high school at Pashan, was profusely bleeding for almost 30 minutes, according to one of her relatives, while the crowd was busy assaulting the driver of the speeding Hyundai Accent that hit her bicycle from behind.
Megha was declared “dead on arrival” at the nearby Kotbagi hospital. Administrative director at the hospital, Dr Mahesh Kotbagi, said the victim had already lost about 2.5 litres of blood by the time she was brought to the hospital.
Megha was cycling towards her science tutorial class from her residence around 6 am when she was hit by the car, driven by Anil Baburao Gaikwad (26) of Range Hills. According to eyewitnessday just this Sunday.
Gaikwad, who has been arrested, was on his way to his uncle’s place at Range Hills, but later changed his mind and decided to have a cup of tea near Bremen chowk in Aundh, the police said.
An emotionally-shattered relative of the victim told TOI that Megha’s life could have been saved had someone rushed her to hospital immediately.
Captain Amit Bhattacharya, a family friend of the Goswamis, said Megha es, such was the impact that the girl was tossed into the air before landing with a thud on the front windshield of the car.
Incidentally, Megha had celebrated her birthleft home for her tuition classes early in the morning on her bicycle. “It is sad that nobody rushed her to hospital,” he said, adding that she was lying on the road in a pool of blood. “It was a crucial period. Had she been treated in time, she would have possibly survived.”

PUNE’S ROADS CLAIM ONE LIFE DAILY
• A fatality a day in road mishaps was reported in Pune in 2006
• The number of fatalities increased from 324 in 2003 to 372 in 2006
• The number of those seriously injured has also shot up by 100 in the last three years, from 214 in 2003 to 338 in 2006
Who is more at fault? The bystanders, the car driver or others? Please specify.
Old 21st June 2007, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

They were assaulting the driver for 30 minutes? Perhaps it was the overall time frame between the accident itself and arrival at the hospital.

Really sad, another young life snuffed out for no fault of the poor child
Old 21st June 2007, 11:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
They were assaulting the driver for 30 minutes? Perhaps it was the overall time frame between the accident itself and arrival at the hospital.
Correct Suman and the hospital is not even 5 mins from the scene of the hospital! Who do you think is at fault?
Old 21st June 2007, 11:01   #4
BHPian

whatever happened was sad.

But after mishap, instead of beating the driver, public must have asked him to take her to the hospital, may be she could have survived.

May her soul rest in peace.
Old 21st June 2007, 11:01   #5
BANNED

Just read this .. Well, IMHO it's the bystanders who should be dealt with by the cops though I know that ain't gonna happen . Accidents do happen and in some ppl will get hit , but the public around there instead of switching on their mob mentality should first tend to the victim and then hold the driver till the cops arrive .

Why do ppl think that they can take the law in their own hands ..... just coz they have nothing better to do and their jealousy of ppl with cars comes to the fore .

As for the victim , its always sad when a young life gets snuffed out and my condolences to her family . And may the mob GO TO HELL

Cheers
Old 21st June 2007, 11:04   #6
BHPian

Thats very sad, very sorry to hear this. The driver's fault - for hitting the bicycle - DAMM!!
Old 21st June 2007, 11:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

Really sad to read about the incident. Seems she celebrated her birthday, and then left from home !!

Quote:
Megha had celebrated her birthleft home for her tuition classes early in the morning on her bicycle.
What could get worse for the parents?
As for the bystanders, the less said about them, the better.
Old 21st June 2007, 11:20   #8
BHPian

ATleast dial for an ambulance, if you are that busy beatin up! Jeez, thats crazy n sad
Old 21st June 2007, 11:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Indian public has become insentive to helping out in such circumstances, mainly because of the callous procedures. Anyone taking the injured to hospital is harassed so much by the cops and even the hospital - "file a FIR", "did you hit the person/", "sign this form" for admission, and so on - that even the most conscientous bystander would hesitate to help out.

I still remember an episode several years ago when I had a bike accident on the Rayakottah-Hosur highway in the middle of the night. My arm was broken, and there was heavy traffic on the road - at least 1 vehicle a minute - and most vehicles stopped to satiate their curiosity about the accident, but none stopped to help despite entreaties by my companions (instead they sped away). Luckily, that accident I had minimal bleeding - it took us almost 2 HOURS to get someone to stop and give us a lift to the nearest hospital. And this was a lorry driver wo helped, all the persoanl cars, tempos carrying the aam janta did not bother. All I can say is that I was semi-consicious and there was no major open injury, I simply bore the pain and stuck it out for the 2 hours or so till we got the lift and the 3 hours before we got to a god hospital in Bangalore.
Old 21st June 2007, 11:36   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Well, as none of us were there at the spot its quite hard to believe if the driver was actually at fault or if the girl did veer into the traffic or such.

Besides, one will definitely have to blame the mob. Rather than trying to show their frustrations of life on the driver/trying to steal/launder money, cellphones etc from the driver their first aim should have been to take the girl to the hospital which I heard is less than 5mins away. Such a shame this is specially when someone can see a life being taken away but rather decide to quarrel.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
ATleast dial for an ambulance, if you are that busy beatin up! Jeez, thats crazy n sad
that what i was going to say why didn't they call a ambulance
Old 21st June 2007, 12:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Bystandars want to create Tamasha of accidents. Taking the injured to the hospital is not the priority. Unfortunately.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:11   #13
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Really sad..
Wish someone had used their brains..instead of fighting..
This happens everywhere..people gather around like some tamasha is going on..while the victim is neglected..
In this case the victim had to lose her life..Its really sad..
Old 21st June 2007, 12:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Really sad to know what happened, why dont people realise the value of others life.
Old 21st June 2007, 16:44   #15
BHPian

Mclaren is right, we cannot assume who was at fault, driver or girl. In any accident involving a car and a pedestrian, its given the title 'girl/boy hit by a SPEEDING car'. Not always the case. Whats scary is that, even if the driver of the car wants to help, he isnt given the chance to as he's being beaten up and precious seconds are going by. The mob is the one to blame for sure.

Most Viewed