Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:33   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Actually we have not yet reached that situation in India where people buy cars to suit their personality. We are still mostly driven by cost factor. For example, we still don't have 2-door cars and convertibles in India. ...
I agree completely. But its better than what it was 10 years back. Hence the attempt. Atleast people have a few choices in each price bands now. Entry of sports cars and coupes will add to choice for sure. Maybe in another 5-10 years.

Regarding chauffer driven part, I dont think somebody will buy a car keeping in mind only this part. Ofcourse on a regular basis he may be driven around by a chauffer. But definitely he would be interested in driving himself at some point of time unless he is a "I am scared of driving in India" type
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:40   #17
BHPian

Good Thread!

Most of the observations are correct

Add one the GetZ -> PPL who think they are above one level and don't mind the FE and resell if they get good features.

Hyudai is also marketing it above swift because of the features ( and thus the price! )
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:43   #18
BHPian

I find that corolla is very much preffered by executives and professionals who are not that intrested in cars,rather consider cars as a mode of transport.
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:56   #19
BHPian

In Indian context Car is still not a necessity but optional must to have item and shopping decision mostly governed by budget. But it seems more an more people now start their car from Santro or a Swift and sometime even City.

Since budget is a big cap, even someone having a tall attitude end up driving M800 or Santro. On the road like in Bangalore, it's not your car but your driving style ensure your road presence.

By the way, a typical Santro buyer in Bangalore is a first time car buyer any may be Senior Software Engineer in his company and all the way till he becomes Project manager. (Project manager will then upgrate to Sedan, typically.) Also a lot of no so high profile but new age enterpreneur like Estate Broker who just settled down from being a jobless 5 years back to a well to do person now will also go for Santro as their first car. But they will quickly upgrade to big car as show off matter in their trade.
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

I had a friend who was with a car finance company in the late 90s. He once said that the default rate in Zen is very low while that in Sumo is very high. They were always careful about lending money to people who wanted to buy Sumo. I hope no one is offended.
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Good Thread!

Most of the observations are correct

Add one the GetZ -> PPL who think they are above one level and don't mind the FE and resell if they get good features.

Hyudai is also marketing it above swift because of the features ( and thus the price! )
Yea. But I am not so sure if Getz is really feature rich compared to Swift.

Generally Getz owners are people in their early thirties, those who dont want to be very unconventional or flashy, but dont mind occasional flirts in highways. They are slightly more mature version of Swift types, something like comparing grape juice and wine
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel View Post
By the way, a typical Santro buyer in Bangalore is a first time car buyer any may be Senior Software Engineer in his company and all the way till he becomes Project manager. (Project manager will then upgrate to Sedan, typically.) Also a lot of no so high profile but new age enterpreneur like Estate Broker who just settled down from being a jobless 5 years back to a well to do person now will also go for Santro as their first car. But they will quickly upgrade to big car as show off matter in their trade.
I agree completely. Santros are generally seen owned for an extended period, upwards of 5+ years, especially by people who drive 90% in city. There are still quite a lot of old Santros in Bangy roads. The moment they feel the need for a change of status, a sedan, mostly Fiesta/Verna/NHC will come in place. Some even get 'double promoted' to Corolla/Optra/Octy territory.
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I had a friend who was with a car finance company in the late 90s. He once said that the default rate in Zen is very low while that in Sumo is very high. They were always careful about lending money to people who wanted to buy Sumo. I hope no one is offended.
Think there are good enough reasons. Zen owners are generally some of the well respected people/professionals in the society like Doctors, Professors, Priests etc. Rarely have I seen business men with Zen. Sumo falls in that category.

However Maruti squandered their chance to keep such people happy with their new Estillo. It is targeted towards an entirely different audience, though in reality it seems to fall in a no mans land.

And I think Hyundai managed to get a part of that types towards their Santro and Getz. If GM can tone down their gaudy ads for Spark, even it could be a good candidate for this market.
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
...Zen owners are generally some of the well respected people/professionals in the society like Doctors, Professors, Priests etc...
Most of the priests I've seen either ride TVS mopeds or bullets - usually at high speed with an 'assistant' priest on the pillion gripping on to the rear handle for dear life
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

wagonRs are driven by intelligent, hardworking, extra-ordinary people with a very very high IQ.
Now you dont need to guess what i drive.

j/k
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Don't you have a take on Safari/DICOR owners? I would love to read that as well..

Quote:
Does the cars people own/drive denote their character?

I have been trying to do some analysis of the car owners and see if the car they own can help me get an idea of their character.

Here is my initial round of findings. Though it doesnt prove their character yet, I think I am able to 'kind of' slot them into different categories. Request your help in refining and adding to this list.

For example,

Scorpio owners are generally aggressive and think they deserve some special position in the road and feels slight towards other 'smaller ones' around.
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ooops...spoken too early. Just read your post on Safari wallahs...

Quote:
Some more obsrevations

Safari - these are generally the ones who believe 'size does matter'. They are not very brand conscious, but they 'think big'. They enjoy comfort and mostly their cars will be fitted with exotic stuff and mods. Will go to any end to justify their purchase.
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

what type of people drive a alto i would love to know your views
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:32   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

appuchan.. what car you drive.. and what does it tell about your personality?
;-)
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
what type of people drive a alto i would love to know your views
Also:
Esteem?
Indigo?
Ikon?
Accent?
Logan?