Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 17:56   #1621
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks for the reccos on "Stranger Things". Was reminded so much of those 80's "sci-fi" movies. Watched all the episodes with the wife who also loved it. Great series. Looks like a second season is on the cards - hopefully will follow the same characters.
I read somewhere that it will follow the same core set of characters, with the addition of 2-3 new characters.

I really liked the fact that it has only 8 episodes in the first season. Most other shows which are much longer end up with a few episodes in the middle where nothing much happens and feels tiring to watch. But this show was very nicely paced.
Old 6th September 2016, 18:12   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Binge watching The Good Wife over the last couple of weeks - pretty gripping and nicely done show.
Old 6th September 2016, 18:14   #1623
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Just finished watching Twin Peaks.
S1 was great but last 8-10 episodes of S2 were a drag. Characters added and removed, wild swings in the plot from criminal to paranormal just took the charm of S1 away. Dont think I will spend any time on the planned 'revival' season.
Yes; this is a very popular complaint, the reason probably being what David Lynch himself has said- that he had "very little to do with season 2". And he never intended to reveal the killer but did so due to network pressure. Still, I love the show and not found another like it. Stranger things is a bit similar in some aspects. I will definitely be watching the new limited series of Twin peaks, especially since David Lynch and Mark Frost are involved in it.
Old 7th September 2016, 17:47   #1624
BHPian

Binge-watched 'Stranger Things' over the weekend and I liked it. Neither overrated not underrated.

Started watching Sense8 on noticing the Watchowski name (they're both sisters now). Holding up good so far. Reminiscent of Cloud Atlas in some ways.
Old 11th September 2016, 16:15   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Just finished watching The Night Manager - season 1 and its amazing. Things happen thick and fast, the casting is brilliant, it's shot very well and there is never a dull moment.

Besides, how can you turn away from Loki?
Old 11th September 2016, 21:24   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Just finished watching The Night Manager - season 1 and its amazing. Things happen thick and fast, the casting is brilliant, it's shot very well and there is never a dull moment.

Besides, how can you turn away from Loki?
I watched it for Hugh Laurie.
Old 12th September 2016, 09:59   #1627
BHPian

Smallville

Started watching this show just to know what all happens in Superman's teen age.

The show is good. Explains all the things like Superman's power, how he gets/uses those powers and his weakness. I'm now into season 7 now and most of the characters are falling into their place like how we see in movies. Eg: Louis ends up in The Daily planet. Other DC characters like Aquaman, Impulse, Cyborg, Green Arrow, Supergirl and more appear in the show.

Only irritating part is the relationship between Clark kent and Lana Lang. Its too much, cant take it. I prefer this Lex Luthor by Michael Rosenbaum than the one in the recent Batman Vs Superman movie. Lex Luthor's darker side has been shown clearly and also why he doesn't like superman.

If you like DC and superman this is the show you must watch.
Old 14th September 2016, 00:37   #1628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_arun View Post
Smallville

Started watching this show just to know what all happens in Superman's teen age.
Reminds me of my summer vacations way back over a decade when I started watching Smallville, never thought of it ever since. My opinion of it from a show point of view is that its balanced, it caters to mature and kiddy tastes equally and its supported by a stong cast of actors who took their craft seriously unlike the American shows of today.

Other than that, from a strictly Superman point of view, its a retcon (total reboot) of Kal-El's early life.. not to mention that the Kents are supposed to be a total farming class country-family with a strong Southern accent, that's where Kal-El's foundations of being honest and hardworking starts at. Here ma and pa Kent are shown as more refined, almost white-collar people. Many of the foes he faces during the show are in the comic-world, foes he doesn't meet for a couple of decades more at the very least. He definitely doesn't meet Luthor for atleast a decade further, until he finally reaches Metropolis. In terms of accuracy, all over the place.

But hey, it had fine production values.. a sincere effort and it kept it clean. I remember those were the times we all watched shows that catered to teenage mentality but would become a little "weird" after the first couple of seasons, I remember One Tree Hill had a great start and then went downtown as did O.C. STILL better than all the shows made post 2010 I'd dare to say.
Old 15th September 2016, 22:18   #1629
mxh
BHPian

Season 6 of American horror story started today. The first episode is pretty good but it seems to be similar to season 1 in some ways. Anyway I'm happy the show is still being made, it's one of my favourites.
Old 16th September 2016, 09:48   #1630
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone watching The Night Of? 8 part miniseries on HBO- crime drama. Superbly crafted characters and a tight script. Riz Ahmed plays the lead role as a Pakistani American student/cabbie.

Am watching it on Hotstar premium and am totally hooked. Couple of episodes to go.
Old 16th September 2016, 10:31   #1631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Just finished watching The Night Manager - season 1
Sadly this is just a 1 season show. Reminded me of old school John le carre style spy thrillers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Anyone watching The Night Of?
Finished watching it last week and I personally felt that after the explosive 1st & 2nd episodes, it gets a little draggy as they seem to be fleshing out the characters and building the story.

Old podcast but still cant get over the twist & turn of events. Serial Season 1 follows the murder of a high school student in baltimore and how the system nails her boyfriend Adnan syed for the same. Reddit had a lot of comments/info and very active participation when this podcast went live in 2014. Latest info is that a Judge has ordered a new trial.
https://serialpodcast.org/season-one

Last edited by noopster : 16th September 2016 at 11:03. Reason: Hey! No spoilers please :(
Old 16th September 2016, 10:52   #1632
BHPian

Watching episodes of Entourage currently and loving it. The characters are fun and Ari Gold is indeed Gold! He is a riot on the screen and the biggest reason to watch the series.

Plus all the cameos by leading Hollywood stars is fun too.

Ended up watching the movie on a recent flight and was worth it.
Old 17th September 2016, 21:14   #1633
BHPian

Just finished watching the following over a 2 weekend period:

1. Narcos - Season 1 & 2: 8/10

A bit slow, but very entertaining. If you're into crime thrillers and biographicals, this is a must watch.

2. Mr. Robot - Season 1: 8/10

Quite entertaining, but again, a bit slow. The protagonists battle with psychosis something to behold.

3. Lucifer - Season 1: 8/10

Excellent time pass, which is exactly my sort of thing. Funny, witty and laced with acrid humor, it was an absolute delight.

4. The Night Of - Season 1: 7/10

Not bowled over by it to be honest. For one, it is slow. Glacial slow. And there's really not much to the story. Just another murder. Excellent cinematography though.

5. The Blacklist - Season 1: 6/10

Upon the recommendation of a fellow Bhp-ian, we started watching this one. But we didn't find it even a quarter as interesting as Person of Interest. Will not be watching the next season, that's for sure. Apart from Spader, there really isn't much in it.

And finally,

6. The Night Manager - Season 1: 10/10

Having read the book much earlier along with all the other stuff written by Le Carre(big spy thriller fan here, btw) I was really looking forward to this one. And I have to say that while the adaptation isn't exactly by the book, it's still pretty darn good, and I dare say a lot more interesting! An absolute treat. And watching Loki on screen is good anyway! Must watch if you're into such stuff(spy thrillers)

Last edited by sourav9385 : 17th September 2016 at 21:16.
Old 18th September 2016, 12:22   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

4. The Night Of - Season 1: 7/10

Not bowled over by it to be honest. For one, it is slow. Glacial slow. And there's really not much to the story. Just another murder. Excellent cinematography though.
+1 to this. I was literally yawning in the later episodes. The pilot was excellent though.
Other thing I liked was the use of dark lights setup throughout the series.

Last edited by SDP : 18th September 2016 at 13:04. Reason: As requested
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:06   #1635
BHPian

I checked out Penny dreadful over the last week. Starts slow and S01 is more about characters figuring things among themselves. S02 is interesting and keeps getting better as things move to S03. The main leads from various horror stories cross paths in this horror drama series. Something like a league of extraordinary gentlemen. I could have watched it for Eva green alone.

S01-02 are available on netflix India.

Most Viewed