Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:23   #1666
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
In comparison, I watched the Two Broke Girls and I found the comedy level very poor. Most of the humor was made up desperately (slapstick kind). Best humor is that which flows through the script IMO.
I don't think ANY comedy made in the recent 10 years (except maybe the first 2-3 seasons of Two and a Half Men) were comedies to begin with. This is my worthless comedies list :

1) Friends (yes, I know only a few of us think like this, but Friends isn't a sitcom, its a romcom with 99% rom and poorly written at that)

2) Big Bang Theory - Indians in general love it because of the nerd factor, it showed Americans in a new light, other than that the comedic factor is zero in my view.

3) Modern Family - Another non-comedy rom-fam-com, Indians again love it because it portrays a nuceo-joint family system with a patriarchy line.

4) Will and Grace - tiring and repetitive.

- More on the list are some useless Star World programs like 2 Broke Girls, Melissa and Joey, Couplings etc which can't even be called shows as they bombed almost instantly.

Real comedies are only 2 shows, both written by the same people - Seinfeld & Curb Your Enthusiasm (Jerry Seinfeld, Larry David and company). Both are rated at above 9.0 in IMDB and Seinfeld was the number one show of all time in America for over a decade till The Sopranos took that spot. Few other acceptable-good comedies are Everybody Loves Raymond (again an India favourite, joint family patriarchy system), King Of Queens, That 70's Show, Becker etc. Any show other than this, specially made post 2010 are poor comedies written by hacks.
Old 5th December 2016, 10:08   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Coupling bombed? Loved the show! Real laugh a lot show. I do hope you are not talking about the british version.

Friends was good and like Archie comics has endless repeat-ability. Still watch it at times and evokes laughter.
Old 5th December 2016, 10:56   #1668
Team-BHP Support

Anyone here watching 'The Crown' on Netflix?

Am not sure if this is available in India, though. Am not really a fan of royalty, but this one which depicts the life story of Queen Elizabeth is worth a watch. Clean, and devoid of adult content meant that we could watch it with our kid around too.
Old 5th December 2016, 11:12   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
This is my worthless comedies list :

1) Friends (yes, I know only a few of us think like this, but Friends isn't a sitcom, its a romcom with 99% rom and poorly written at that)

2) Big Bang Theory - Indians in general love it because of the nerd factor, it showed Americans in a new light, other than that the comedic factor is zero in my view.
Sorry buddy, I am just going to ignore 'your' view point because I have been and am a big fan of both of these series. Why spoil what you like because someone else hates it.

Finally, caught up on 10 episodes of Season-9 of Big Bang Theory this weekend, thanks to Zee Cafe's back to back broadcast. Overall, the comic factor is still at a very good level, if not the best. But yes, the geek quotient has gone down significantly, which is or was the USP of TBBT.

TBBT, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond & Home Improvement are those kind of sitcoms/romcoms/whatever-you-call-them-coms, which I can watch anytime anyday.

By the way, Big Bang Theory Season-10 premiers on 10th December on Zee Cafe and SHERLOCK premiers on 7th Jan 2017 on AXN. Can't wait !
Old 5th December 2016, 11:24   #1670
Senior - BHPian

I recently happen to chance upon ANGIE TRIBECA. It is kind of funny with antecedents taken from HOT SHOTS movie series of Charlie Sheen.
However it is more of love it-hate it kind of show.
The Indian version of IRT, in my opinion is over hyped as the these celebrities will never be able to gauge the kind of condition is which actual truck drivers operate in these treacherous regions. I cannot recall seeing any truck driver with oversize chrome shades & oversize jackets.

Regards-Sonu
Old 5th December 2016, 12:50   #1671
Senior - BHPian

Watched the 1.5 hrs season finale of Westworld this morning.
Almost all folklore proved right, some edge of the seat action, hints of next season/new threads, and a cliffhanger to end the season.
Old 13th December 2016, 23:58   #1672
Team-BHP Support

Midseason finale (s7e8) of The Walking Dead was perhaps the most interesting episode of the season. Can't wait for the series to resume in February.
Old 19th December 2016, 19:41   #1673
BHPian

Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency - whacky, chaotic, suspenseful, interesting characters and all of that with some time travel. Binge watched it, loved it, thank you Mr.Adams and Netflix.
Old 19th December 2016, 21:09   #1674
BHPian

I am not much of a TV guy, but like the mini-series which conclude the story in a season or two, and following series were awesome in this regard.

The night of: A HBO murder mystery followed by trial, will keep you on edge of your seat.

Fargo: Inspired from the movie of same name, need to say more?

True Detective: When A grade movie actors star in a TV series, the results are fabulous.

Narcos: Amazing story of world's most notorious and wealthiest drug lord.

The only series I managed to watch for all season(five of them) is The Wire. There is something interesting about a plot based on drug mafia and police narcotics department trying to outdo each other.
Old 19th December 2016, 21:15   #1675
Team-BHP Support

On the same lines, there's also Gracepoint.

A murder-mystery miniseries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
I am not much of a TV guy, but like the mini-series which conclude the story in a season or two, and following series were awesome in this regard.

The night of: A HBO murder mystery followed by trial, will keep you on edge of your seat.

Fargo: Inspired from the movie of same name, need to say more?

True Detective: When A grade movie actors star in a TV series, the results are fabulous.
Old 26th December 2016, 16:38   #1676
BHPian

The English serials that I watch are Two and a Half Men, Castle, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist and Masterchef Australia.
Old 6th January 2017, 10:26   #1677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
6. Timeless
This is pretty cool. The plot got nicely twisted. I am just down with the first episode so far, but I think this will survive a full watch.
Old 6th January 2017, 12:31   #1678
Senior - BHPian

QUARRY was being shown on STAR WORLD PREMIER (HD) till last week. I think about 12 episodes in S1. The story line is nothing much to write about but because the show is set in 1972, it has some awesome American cars in the plot.
Must watch if you love to see the 70's LARGE American cars. Big doze of them here.

Regards-Sonu.
Old 8th January 2017, 20:02   #1679
BHPian

Fall on netflix is worth a dekko. I'm also watching Fouda, the first couple of episodes were interesting. A semi retired Israeli agent returns to finish his supposedly dead Palestine target.
Old 9th January 2017, 10:40   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Sherlock is back with a bang !

Sherlock Season-4 kick-started with a 2 hour episode The Six Thatchers. Brilliant episode as usual. Cumberbatch awesomeness continue. The shocking twist at the end was, shocking. The way Sherlock deduces the Charlie W's case was fantastic.

I hope the rumors related to Season-4 being the last season, are just rumors. I think Sherlock is one heck of a master piece creation on television IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks