Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:52   #1741
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The latest season of The Walking Dead is such a drag. I am waiting for some real action to start :X
Seriously. I actually dozed off in the last episode. They better be building up to some seriously awesome finale otherwise I may stop following this series.

On another note, some other series I have seen of late:
1. Paranoid: British crime drama starring Indira Varma. Really nice acting by her and other co stars, with a story that keeps you engrossed well into the season.

2. Frequency: A daughter, who is a police officer, talks to her dad in the past over ham radio. Premise is the same as of the film with the same name. But I liked the fact that the time travel aspect of the story was not overly complicated.

3. Hell on Wheels: Just completed first season. Not bad so far. Will see how it goes.

4. Big Little Lies (HBO): Going well so far, although the complications behind each character are starting to wear thin now. Just like Walking Dead, this series should also build up to a nice finale in order to redeem itself.

5. Planet Earth 2: Absolutely stunning series. Surpasses the original by leaps and bounds. Great storytelling with amazing visuals, it just keeps you glued.
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:07   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The general views I've personally heard are that its mostly (8/10 viewers), women who LOVE 1) Big Bang Theory 2) Friends 3) Modern Family, for any combination of geek factor, romance, and familial relations, in short I'm not going to debate women on how they aren't comedies, they are going to get unpleasant very quickly ;o) most men however like the shows like Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fresh Prince, etc while women hate it (though all 3 don't have a notable fan-base in India). Shows like Everybody Loves Raymond and King of Queens though, can be watched by everyone, it pleases all and offends none and that is the greatest reason for their success.
I daresay that your post is very very sexist though I do understand what you mean. I had a fight with couple of friends when I said I didn't like Friends. Man I was tortured to death for few days after that! But for me humour has no gender factor. I better watch any of these comedies(few of them mindless ones) than watch those stupid serials ! And the time I reach home there are no good shows anyways!

Quote:
Shark Tank, of course, and like its sister show The Apprentice its largely scripted.. its way better than The Apprentice though but I keep away from it now seeing that I know exactly how its scripted. I was genuinely happy to watch entrepreneurs who had ecological-friendly products, life-changing inventions, and substitutes for unhealthy products, succeed and get bids by the investors but the rest like "inventing" a new coffee, ice-cream, or fashion label, PLEASE, gimme a break.

P.S, I'm also an NBA fan and its hilarious to see how Mark Cuban (owner of Dallas Mavericks) sits there cool, calm and pretends to be someone he's not I've seen him sitting in the bleachers years ago abusing the referees and calling players names just for wrong calls or for losing, he gets fined roughly close to half a mill$ each season for doing that.
I do agree that its scripted and not all of them are great inventions but again some of them do are good. I love to hear Kevin O'leary speak though. Its mostly humorous and dead pan!
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:45   #1743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The general views I've personally heard are that its mostly (8/10 viewers), women who LOVE 1) Big Bang Theory 2) Friends 3) Modern Family, for any combination of geek factor, romance, and familial relations, in short I'm not going to debate women on how they aren't comedies, they are going to get unpleasant very quickly ;o)
I am a man and I like all 3 shows you have listed. You are going out on a long limb if you think the demographic targeted by those shows is female only. Also, like another member pointed out, your comments sound like casual sexism. Not cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
As already mentioned Goldbergs, undeateable, Young and hungry are few in which I do not understand the comedy at all.
Add 2 Broke Girls, Whitney, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to that list. Also some of the "ethnic" shows featuring black/Asian families leave me totally cold. Maybe it's a generational thing!
Quote:
Does anybody watch Shark tank? I love the idea and concept of the show. Get to hear some great ideas along with some wacky ones surprisingly doing well.
I do! What I like about Shark Tank is that I can watch it with my 11-year old. I think it gives a good exposure to simple concepts of business in an entertaining way. Another family favourite is The Amazing Race. I have watched all 28 seasons PLUS some offshoots like Amazing Race Canada and Australia online. It's a standing joke at home that if my wife and I go on that show we would probably argue through every episode (can you imagine driving while the other is navgating using a paper map? Stuff of nightmares!)
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:58   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The general views I've personally heard are that its mostly (8/10 viewers), women who LOVE 1) Big Bang Theory 2) Friends 3) Modern Family, for any combination of geek factor, romance, and familial relations, in short I'm not going to debate women on how they aren't comedies, they are going to get unpleasant very quickly ;o) most men however like the shows like Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fresh Prince, etc while women hate it (though all 3 don't have a notable fan-base in India). Shows like Everybody Loves Raymond and King of Queens though, can be watched by everyone, it pleases all and offends none and that is the greatest reason for their success.
This comment is as comic as some of the funniest lines in all these comic shows. I cannot believe that we can categorize shows based on gender. Outrageous ! Even the silly Indian tv shows (saas bahu kind), are watched equally by men and women. So in any case, gender is not a factor for tv shows. I also know that a lot of women watch the WWE fights. Bottom line is that we cannot apply gender logic for any media content IMO.
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:21   #1745
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I am a man and I like all 3 shows you have listed. You are going out on a long limb if you think the demographic targeted by those shows is female only. Also, like another member pointed out, your comments sound like casual sexism. Not cool!
Then there's Shonda Rhimes who has a female protagonist in her shows: Greys Anatomy, Scandal and other shows such as Homeland, Madam Secretary, The Good Wife, OITNB.

I've watched and followed quite a few of the above. Makes me a feminist, I guess.
Old 25th March 2017, 23:06   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Some shows watched over the winter.

Big Bang Theory Season 10 - Painful! Has gone downhill probably since Season 9. Waiting for it to wrap up.
Blacklist - Another pain! They've dragged it a tad too long. Except for that one twist in February. There's been hardly progress in terms of story since the start of Season 4, nor are the induvidual episodes keeping any interest.
Homeland - By far the only one that has my interest going off late. Its been a interesting season so far, though there have been full of complaints on IMDB on the current season.
Better Call Saul - Almost at the end of Season 1. Has been quite a slow start, slower than BrBa was. Want to finish Season 1 and 2 ahead of the Season 3 premiere on 10th April.
Old 8th April 2017, 23:06   #1747
BHPian

Television shows: What do you watch? (No Spoilers Please)

Binged 13 Reasons Why and completed it in one sitting. Netflix and all the actors, specially Katherine Langford has done a marvelous job on this one.

Going to start Season 5 of Prison Break. It is finally back after 8 years!

Last edited by Ruchir031 : 8th April 2017 at 23:10.
Old 9th April 2017, 00:40   #1748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What utter crap. Too much gore which actually kind of subdued the shock value of the episode.
Well, when I posted this about the first episode of season 7 of The Walking Dead, little did I know that this would eventually turn up to be the best episode of an insipid season.

I will watch season 8, but with extremely low expectations.
Old 12th April 2017, 19:51   #1749
BHPian

Who is watching TV series in Amazon Prime?

I just completed two seasons of "The man in the high castle". It is produced by Amazon and has got 8.1 rating in IMDB. It shows what would have happened if the Nazis and the Japs had won the war in place of the Allies. It is centered in a USA which is divided between Nazi america, Jap america and a neutral zone. I liked it very much and can recommend for people who like historical drama.

Another show that I am watching and am midway through the second season is "Mr Robot". It ran on USA network and has an IMDB rating of 8.7. I like this even more than The man in the high castle. The show deals with hackers who fight with evil capitalists and the hacking methods, etc, look very real.

Would love to hear about other recommendations in Amazon Prime (which I have) and Netflix (which I currently don't).
Old 12th April 2017, 20:16   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will watch season 8, but with extremely low expectations.
Same here. Thankfully I record the episodes on DVR and skip through the ads. Each episode gets over in 45 minutes or less. Makes for a less frustrating experience.
Old 16th April 2017, 11:48   #1751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Binged 13 Reasons Why and completed it in one sitting. Netflix and all the actors, specially Katherine Langford has done a marvelous job on this one.
I guess I am one of the very few people who thought 13 Reasons Why didn't quite live upto it's 9/10 imdb rating. I found it slow, and could not watch more than an episode or two at a time. However, it did pick up slightly; halfway into the season and again towards the end.
Old 16th April 2017, 12:35   #1752
BHPian

Television shows: What do you watch? (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I guess I am one of the very few people who thought 13 Reasons Why didn't quite live upto it's 9/10 imdb rating. I found it slow, and could not watch more than an episode or two at a time. However, it did pick up slightly; halfway into the season and again towards the end.

I totally understand this. I completed my high-school in the US and whatever the show has shown, I have been through and witnessed it all. Maybe this is the reason I got so deep into it and it left a major impact on me, mentally and emotionally.
Few of my friends whom I recommended this show also had a similar opinion as yours because according to them this is something that doesn't fit into our Indian schooling system and rarely happens. However, it is very common in US and what this show has tried to show has left a good impact on people to understand how even smallest of actions of others can leave such a huge impact on an individual.
Also just so you know in case you don't, the show is scripted upon a book by Jay Asher (13 Reasons Why) which was an actual story he witnessed within his own family, although a lot of fiction work was done.
Old 16th April 2017, 12:53   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Who is watching TV series in Amazon Prime?

I just completed two seasons of "The man in the high castle". It is produced by Amazon and has got 8.1 rating in IMDB. .... I liked it very much and can recommend for people who like historical drama.

Another show that I am watching and am midway through the second season is "Mr Robot"....

Would love to hear about other recommendations in Amazon Prime (which I have) and Netflix (which I currently don't).
I watched Rizzoli & Isles yesterday from Amazon Prime. Wish I could Chromecast to the LED TV.
It is a chickflick type Crime Procedural drama. Worth watching once.

Amazon Prime has tons of TV Shows and often you are bewildered at the choice. I look for actors from well known series. I followed Donny Wahlberg from the much liked Blue Bloods TV Show and landed in Rizzoli and Isles.
Old 17th April 2017, 11:50   #1754
BHPian

Been watching a few European series off late. They are terrific and have been binge watching them.

The Killing (Danish Forbrydelsen)
Trapped (Icelandic)
Broen (Bridge - Swedish/Danish)
The Missing (British)
Marcella (British)
Stranger Things (American)

And have lined up Borgen (Danish) and Engregages (French)
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 20:51   #1755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Been watching a few European series off late. They are terrific and have been binge watching them.

The Killing (Danish Forbrydelsen)
Trapped (Icelandic)
Broen (Bridge - Swedish/Danish)
The Missing (British)
Marcella (British)
Stranger Things (American)

And have lined up Borgen (Danish) and Engregages (French)
Where are you watching these - Amazon Prime/Netflix? Watching in their Indian collection/US collection (through VPN)?
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks