Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2018, 20:08   #2176
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Recently finished watching 'Car Masters: Rust to Riches' on Netflix. The show is about a garage and it's four member crew's attempt at making $100,000 from an initial investment of $1000. There modus operandi - restore rust bucket classics and flip them for a higher valued rotting classic until they can hit the magic number. In between they take up few side projects as well for additional money.

I found the show to be quite entertaining as the crew members were likable, very knowledgeable about what they do and absolutely loving it too. I do recommend this show.
Old 14th October 2018, 20:51   #2177
BHPian

Just binge watched the Big Little Lies on Hotstar. It is 7 episodes of almost an hour each. It's got Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon & Shailene Woodley in the lead Quite decent.
Old 17th October 2018, 14:43   #2178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
House of Cards:
After watching House of cards, I was looking for something related to WhiteHouse, Secret service and American President's administration.

I started watching Designated Survivor and finished both the series. Overall, I liked the fast pace of events in the series. However, I was disappointed in the half-baked attempt of storytelling. Looming nuclear conflagration, exploding planes and double-crossing spies are all on the menu but detailing is missing. There’s not enough family tension for it to be a domestic drama, not enough government intrigue to make it a political show, and not enough investigation to make it a procedural. I liked the concept of "Designated Survivor". It is strange that this concept is not covered in any of the Hollywood movies yet.

Last edited by SJM1214 : 17th October 2018 at 14:54. Reason: Minor Change
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 15:04   #2179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I liked the concept of "Designated Survivor". It is strange that this concept is not covered in any of the Hollywood movies yet.
Maybe not on TV, but the concept has been covered in a pair of Tom Clancy novels - Debt of Honor and Executive Orders. The first of these has at its conclusion a plane being crashed into the US Capitol building, which promotes the protagonist (the National Security Advisor) of the series into the US presidency. The second book covers his stint as a president, and all the shenanigans that America's fictional enemies get up to.
Old 17th October 2018, 21:57   #2180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After watching House of cards, I was looking for something related to WhiteHouse, Secret service and American President's administration.

I started watching Designated Survivor and finished both the series.
I liked Madam Secretary better than Designated Survivor, there is some more depth with respect to the points you mentioned. If you have not seen it, worth a try.
Old 18th October 2018, 09:50   #2181
Team-BHP Support

'Designated Survivor' started well, with a good premise but then Season 2 quickly went downhill. In fact, it became all too predictable as well. A situation which threatens the country, the world and the American presidency. Then the president does something and the world is back to being a happy place, much to the applause of his office.

It was horrid, we stopped watching as we were into Season 2.
Old 18th October 2018, 10:00   #2182
Distinguished - BHPian

Am watching Little things on Netflix and so far am happy. And a bit pissed off cuz I wrote a story on Sulekha titled the same thing that was much better. Or was it?

Anyway do watch it.
Old 18th October 2018, 10:08   #2183
Distinguished - BHPian

Removed TV connection many years back, I don't want to pay and then watch Ads. Now it is Netflix/ Amazon prime only.

Person of Interest is what I am watching now. I prefer to finish one and move to the next.

Jim Caviezel is a car guy and was featured on Jay Leno's garage.

The BBC series bodyguard is coming sometime next week to Netflix, I'm done with Netflix otherwise.
Old 18th October 2018, 10:24   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Seems like no one watches ELEMENTARY here.

What a fantastic end to season 6.

Of course, Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock is arguably the BEST ever in my books, but Elementary is not too far behind.

Attachment 1806045
Totally agree to the T. Big fan of Elementary, binge watched it in PRIME and now waiting for the next season. The BEST adaptation of Sherlock is Benedict Cumberbatch's, but elementary is not behind at all.
On a side note, the opening music is my ring tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
BIG fan of Elementary here. I love S4 with John Noble as Sherlock's father, in particular. Yet to view S6, however

And yes, Jonny Miller is phenomenal in his role, and Lucy Liu in her first role that I don't hate her!
John Noble is spot on as Sherlock's father - I like his character so much that I was looking forward to his screen time more than Sherlock's.

Quote:
I agree. 4th season was damn good. In the 6th season, they have successfully carried one parallel track till the end of the season. Brilliant writing, I must say.
True. 6th Season was really good. Now waiting for next.

--Anoop
Old 18th October 2018, 10:26   #2185
Distinguished - BHPian

I started watching "Manifest" on Prime.
It is engaging, but reminded me a bit of flash forward, and i have a feeling they may lose out on ideas by the end of the first season. Nevertheless, the first three episodes have been fair.
Old 18th October 2018, 11:12   #2186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Totally agree to the T. Big fan of Elementary, binge watched it in PRIME and now waiting for the next season. The BEST adaptation of Sherlock is Benedict Cumberbatch's, but elementary is not behind at all.
On a side note, the opening music is my ring tone
Why side note, even my phone's ringtone is the same one.

Its an engaging/haunting composition. Before Elementary came, it was Sherlock's music as my ringtone. Glad to meet someone with fanboyish following of Sherlock/Elementary.

It was really sad that the Benedict's Sherlock came to an abrupt end. I think they totally aced the series with brilliant scripts, excellent use of technology, and boy-o-boy Benedict Cumberbatch !!! Wish they made more seasons. But that seems to be impossible now, given the rift between Watson and the producers.

Elementary was about to be shelved after season 6, but somehow it got rejuvenated with producers banking on its growing popularity. I am eagerly waiting for season 7.

On a side note, finally completed all 4 seasons of Scorpion. Scorpion started really well and then just started going down the drain.
Old 18th October 2018, 12:43   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why side note, even my phone's ringtone is the same one.

Its an engaging/haunting composition. Before Elementary came, it was Sherlock's music as my ringtone. Glad to meet someone with fanboyish following of Sherlock/Elementary.

It was really sad that the Benedict's Sherlock came to an abrupt end. I think they totally aced the series with brilliant scripts, excellent use of technology, and boy-o-boy Benedict Cumberbatch !!! Wish they made more seasons. But that seems to be impossible now, given the rift between Watson and the producers.

Elementary was about to be shelved after season 6, but somehow it got rejuvenated with producers banking on its growing popularity. I am eagerly waiting for season 7.

On a side note, finally completed all 4 seasons of Scorpion. Scorpion started really well and then just started going down the drain.
Even my ringtone was Sherlock's music before I switched to elementary.

Benedict's depiction of Sherlock was superb - wish we got few more episodes before they called it a day.

I was not aware that Elementary was also on death bed - glad that it got revived.

Another series I like is Deception - sad that they are not continuing after 1st season.

I watched magicians season 1 and 2 on Prime - waiting for the airing of 3rd season on prime.

Lucifer was another good one, but I lost interest somewhere in the 3rd season and is yet to finish watching it.

--Anoop
Old 18th October 2018, 14:28   #2188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Even my ringtone was Sherlock's music before I switched to elementary.

Another series I like is Deception - sad that they are not continuing after 1st season.

--Anoop

WOW !!! We were totally glued to Deception, before the silly production house decided to pull the plug. Deception ended on such a high note with so much mystery, surprises and shocks. It would have made a fabulous season-2.

Now a days, we are all big fan of Young Sheldon. Being a super fan of Big Bang Theory, I had to watch Young Sheldon. Though it is a bit of family/kids series, the humour is excellent and very well written. Kudos to the producers & writers for giving us two great series.

I had started watching the THE MENTALIST, but it was nowhere near Deception or Elementary and I got bored in just two episodes. Thinking of watching Fringe now.
Old 18th October 2018, 14:48   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would have made a fabulous season-2.

Now a days, we are all big fan of Young Sheldon.

I had started watching the THE MENTALIST, but it was nowhere near Deception or Elementary and I got bored in just two episodes. Thinking of watching Fringe now.
True - Deception would have made for a fabulous season 2.

Haven't seen big bang theory and had a similar experience with Mentalist - didn't like it so did not watch after the first episode.

Nowadays, I am re-watching Jeeves and Wooster - the classic evergreen one. Once I finish it, my hunt will start again for the next show to watch.

--Anoop
Old 18th October 2018, 15:11   #2190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Despite its title, The Mentalist is not (and probably isn't meant to be) mentally rewarding or challenging. It's a lightweight police procedural, that has the usual formula of smart-mouthed man partnered with lady cop (also refer Castle, etc.). It's good for some light-hearted entertainment, but that's about it. I watched the first three seasons or so, back when it was being shown on Indian TV a few years ago.

Oh boy, you haven't watched Fringe, have you? Lucky you, you're in for some good times. I watched Fringe before Elementary, so the change in John Noble's characters between the two was mind-blowing. I think it'll still be good in reverse, because the man is a damn fine actor.

Most Viewed