Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2019, 22:50   #2491
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Stranger Things
Season 1: 4 / 5
Season 2: 2.5 / 5
Season 3: 0.5 / 5

God such a drag! Boring is not the word. Is pukeworthy allowed on the forum? Let us see.

Man, they really should not make more seasons of certain shows. This was one of those. I sat through 2 episodes and couldn't even watch the rest. I tried. Really. But yes, I watched it all - FFw'ed it. Cringed through it all.
Old 18th July 2019, 08:35   #2492
Team-BHP Support

Completed watching Season 3 of Stranger Things.
While Season 1 was interesting owing to the novelty, I was really bored watching Season 2. However, Season 3 was interesting, more from the fun aspect introduced by the characters.

They have left behind a trail to indicate Season 4 should be on its way.

EDIT : Must appreciate the selection of background music in Season 3, focusing on popular pop songs from the yesteryears.
Old 18th July 2019, 12:49   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Korean TV Shows

Have been watching Korean TV Shows offlate due to their availability on Netflix.

3 outstanding shows:
  1. Hammurabi - 4/5 : The show is about the problems in the legal system looked from POV of Judges. Similar problems as India. Very very well made.
  2. Sky Castle - 3.5/5: This is a show about peer pressure, parental pressure on kids et al. Very good as well.
  3. Chief of Staff - 3.5/5: Presently watching this one. The show is about dirty politics between legislators and their games of one upmanship.
Overall I like the Korean shows as they seem very real and relatable. And their production quality is top notch.
Old 18th July 2019, 13:02   #2494
BHPian

Recently watched the following shows:
  • Veep: really liked it. It's a good mix of political drama and humour with 30-minute episodes so things don't get too much.
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm: Great watch for someone who already likes Seinfeld. In fact, the number of references to Seinfeld really make this show quite enjoyable.
  • Parks & Rec: Seemed like the natural progression after completing The Office. It can be a bit boring at first but it's a great show once you get hooked to it.
  • Bojack Horseman: This surprised me a little and not in a good way. I'm a big fan of this genre, but the first three episodes of the show did not hook me onto it so stopped it. I've heard nothing but good things about this show, but I can't figure out why
Old 18th July 2019, 14:03   #2495
BHPian

Been recently watching these shows:
- Chernobyl, on Hotstar - Gem of a show, not to be missed. I wish we have a show of this quality on Bhopal Gas Tragedy too.
- Godless, on Netflix - Good short series based on a 19th century incident in a town called La belle in US mid west. Catchy and nicely depicts the countryside lifestyle of that era.
- Dark, on Netflix- Mind bending time travel story cutting across multiple times/ eras. Bit too heavy on the viewers mind, would recommend taking breaks after every few episodes.
- Better call Saul, on Netflix- Prequel to Breaking Bad. Have watched just 5 episodes so far. If you liked Breaking bad, chances are you would find this one good too. It is from the same makers.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd July 2019 at 21:16. Reason: Post fixed. Spacing, typos.
Old 18th July 2019, 15:07   #2496
BHPian

Has anyone seen The Office (Indian version) on Hotstar?

It is copy of The Office (US). Every situation is lifted from there with only the dialogues localised. Even the design of the set is the same as the American series.

From what I saw, I do not think the directors can extend it to beyond 15 episodes. They will start struggling to find catchy lines and situations.

This genre of comedy is new to Indian TV scene so audiences that have not seen the American or UK version might like it (but not those who want slapstick comedy).
Old 18th July 2019, 15:23   #2497
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody recommend some good horror shows. I have watched:

1) The Exorcist, S01 & S02
2) Evil Dead, all seasons

Tried watching The American Horror Story but did not like it.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd July 2019 at 21:17. Reason: Spacing.
Old 18th July 2019, 15:30   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Can anybody recommend some good horror shows.
You can give "The Haunting of Hill House" a try.
Old 18th July 2019, 15:38   #2499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Can anybody recommend some good horror shows. I have watched
Watch Supernatural Series!

It has gamut of supernatural characters. The best part is main characters' story which progresses quite well till Season 10.

Cheers!
Old 18th July 2019, 17:09   #2500
BHPian

Black Spot on Netflix is another good watch. I was about to finish S1 and was lucky that S2 too was released at about the same time.

Its a story about a series of crimes in a small town in France. Binge worthy if you ask me.
Old 21st July 2019, 11:20   #2501
BHPian

How to sell drugs online fast on Netflix is good.
Also watching Fastest Car on Netflix. Good series about drag races between supercars and sleeper cars.
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:34   #2502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Dark on Netflix- Mind bending time travel story cutting across multiple times/ eras.
Thank you for this recommendation. Binge watched season 1 (8 episodes of the 10) over the weekend and would rate it a full 5/5. Great screenplay, direction and good flow to the story. Keeps you hooked.
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:25   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Suits - Season 8 is now available on Amazon Prime. Robert Zane joins Harvey & Louis as a partner, so the story mostly revolves around the union.

Also, Comicstan-Season 2 has started and its been a ride so far. I thoroughly enjoyed Season-1 and Nishant Suri was a complete revelation. Nishant Suri is already a successful comedian all over the country with his super successful stand-up shows. The 2 shows in Pune got sold out in couple of hours. However, I do miss Tanmay Bhatt as one of the judges. I am a fan of him and his unabashed style.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2019 at 17:46. Reason: Removing one line which might be a spoiler :)
Old 22nd July 2019, 11:23   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Stranger Things S3 - No longer has the novelty, was a tad boring.

La Mante (Netflix) - Worth a watch. Its a mini-series that you can binge in a day. We did starting 9pm to 3am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Man, they really should not make more seasons of certain shows. This was one of those.
Agreed. Its getting repetetive and borderline X-Files+teen fiction

Last edited by narayans80 : 22nd July 2019 at 11:33.
Old 22nd July 2019, 11:25   #2505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Suits - Season 8 is now available on Amazon Prime. Robert Zane joins Harvey & Louis as a partner, so the story mostly revolves around the union.
Interestingly available on Netflix too. Notice many shows are available on both platforms.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2019 at 17:46. Reason: Quoted post edited

Most Viewed