Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2019, 08:02   #2581
BHPian

Started watching "Unbelievable" on Netflix. If you like crime dramas don't miss it, stellar performances from the lead actors and a gripping story line
Old 16th September 2019, 11:18   #2582
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Well it maybe my view but much of America shares it, Tony Soprano played by James Gandolfini is the greatest character ever written and portrayed on screen.. his performance has to be viewed to understand that, it is full of life, expressions and realism.. Bryan Cranston in comparison is kind of deadpan expressioned.

Not to mention that Cranston himself tweeted this : "Quite simply, without Tony Soprano there is no Walter White." As far as acting goes James Gandolfini is so far above his league that there is no comparison. He opened the door for the anti-hero and for a show that questions what is good and what is bad.

Of course House, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are essentially very different shows appealing to different people.. so a difference is portrayals is very much understandable. Let's just say each has its good points due to which passionate fans debate. Majority Americans prefer The Sopranos while Breaking Bad has become a big hit everywhere else (India especially).
Thanks for this post. I knew about Sopranos but never tried it. Just wanted to have some of us's first-hand review and bumped into your post.

I started watching The Sopranos and I must say Tony Soprano played by James Gandolfini is one of the greatest characters ever written and portrayed on screen. Walter White from BB comes very to close to it. I find it interesting how great writing can have the viewer rooting for the villain or, in the case of Walt vs the Supremacists, the lesser of two evils. The characters of Walter White and Tony Soprano are worthy of study in how to trick your audience by making the bad guy good.

Bad Blood ( Netflix)

I am a big fan of The Godfather films and of course Mario Puzo' writings on Sicilian mafias. I am always intrigued by Italian/Sicilian Mafia. I bumped into Bad Blood at Netflix. It's based on real-life Mafia named Vito Rizzuto. The first season of Bad Blood is based on a book about the Rizzuto family; much of season 1 is fictionalized, but at least it’s based on a real family and real events. However, after two or three episodes it got dull and boring The cast has done a great job in acting, that was the only reason I carried on finished this predictable series.

Last edited by SJM1214 : 16th September 2019 at 11:32. Reason: Added another small review.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 11:33   #2583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Finished The Spy on Netflix. Gripping story! Sacha Baron Cohen has acted really really well!

Rating: 4/5

Also started with The Mindhunter. Very interesting series!
Completely agree with your rating on both 'The Spy' as well as 'Mindhunter'.
Old 16th September 2019, 17:06   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Completed first season of Maigret on Hotstar. We get to see a different side of Rowan Atkinson, as a serious, intelligent and observant police officer in this BBC series.

Its a well shot series with all the vintage look, sets, cars and dresses.

Old 16th September 2019, 23:29   #2585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
I started watching The Sopranos and I must say Tony Soprano played by James Gandolfini is one of the greatest characters ever written and portrayed on screen. Walter White from BB comes very to close to it. I find it interesting how great writing can have the viewer rooting for the villain or, in the case of Walt vs the Supremacists, the lesser of two evils. The characters of Walter White and Tony Soprano are worthy of study in how to trick your audience by making the bad guy good.
Gandolfini doesn't even show his talents until well after season 2, the first 2 seasons show Tony Soprano's soft side, his family-oriented side and his weaknesses, do watch the series completely, I'm sure you will see that Walter White is a very poorly portrayed, poorly written character in comparison, in terms of acting its not even a contest. Jim Gandolfini is Italian but he has the normal American accent, the Jersey mafioso accent was developed.

While mafia storylines are a hit recipe in and of themselves, what makes The Sopranos truly special is that they take their time to spread the plot, they make us speculate on the politics between the families and they show just how hollow the life filled with guns, cigars and gumars can be. The explosiveness and energy Jim brings to the main character is unbelievable in later seasons when he begins to unravel.

To follow the story as intended, you need to keep an eye on on a few characters and analyze how their parts will intersect later on : 1) Carmine Lupertazzi 2) Carmine Jr 3) John Sacrimoni 4) Tony Blundetto 5) Phil Leotardo. Its critical knowledge in the final season.

HBO made and still makes shows that are truly timeless, they did push boundaries in terms of content but with that they deliver truly breathtaking storylines and class cinematography, unlike the Netflix of today that relies on nudity, gore and expletives, all garbage.

Another HBO show I recommend is Big Love, based on the life of a fictional Mormon with 3 wives, where everything from the basic tenets of marriage, religion, happiness and greed are explored.. a wonderful watch and Bill Paxton does true justice to his role combined with a strong supporting cast. Its slow but its thought-provoking, just my kind of television show.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:02   #2586
BHPian

Finished watching "The Travelers" all 3 seasons on Netflix. I must say it is done well and one must watch with attention to understand the concept and connect the dots. Will rate it 3.8/5. Waiting for the next season if there is one.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:17   #2587
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of old favourites are The Shield and The Wire. The Shield has been criminally (pardon the pun) underrated for such a long time. The Wire is everything that it promises to be and more.

From 2019, I would strongly recommend The Boys and The Patriot. The Boys is a fabulous show that is based on the 2006 comic series of the same name. If you are tired of your goody two shoes superheroes from the Marvel Universe and scoff at the supposed attempts at darkness of the DC universe, The Boys is the indie answer to your prayers. The Patriot is a bit of an acquired taste but the show is so much fun if you give it some time!
Old 18th September 2019, 11:47   #2588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Thanks for this post. I knew about Sopranos but never tried it. Just wanted to have some of us's first-hand review and bumped into your post.

Along with The Sopranos HBO also had The Wire running along the same time, both are masterpieces in their own right. The Wire focuses more on broken institutions as compared to the The Sopranos, which focuses more on broken individuals. You should definitely check it out as the whole structure is very streamlined and the plotting is superior to The Sopranos.
Old 20th September 2019, 01:53   #2589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Started watching "Unbelievable" on Netflix.
Thanks this was a wonderful show. Binge watched 4 episodes last night and two today.
Old 20th September 2019, 12:04   #2590
BHPian

Completed the British series "Bodyguard". Well it is intriguing and well made. Cast has done good justice to their respective roles and quite gripping till the very end. will give a 4/5.
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:40   #2591

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Started a new series this weekend called Grace and Frankie. Stumbled upon it as we watched West Wing for the umpteenth time.

West Wing does grow on you. The only disconcerting thing is: the characters mostly converse while rapidly traversing the corridors. Unlikely in the real house. Also, why couldn't they convert it to HD?
Old 22nd September 2019, 13:21   #2592
BHPian

Started watching 'Killing Eve' on Hotstar.

The first season is awesome. I am in love with the acting skills of Jodie Comer(Villanelle). The expressions she gives and the story line is very fast paced in Season one.

Season two is a little bit slow and gradually builds up.

Completed watching 'Chernobyl'. The background score by Hildur Guđnadóttir is chilling.

I feel Hotstar has better content in terms of shows in Premium category.
Old 22nd September 2019, 14:41   #2593
BHPian

Finished watching The Last Ship all 5 seasons and 56 episodes. Felt the story and the content was better than some of the blockbuster movies. Season 2 went as interesting as S1 till S5 last episode. I see Mentalist, Castle, Jack Ryan, but this one is right on top of all of them. Very much movie like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ship_(TV_series)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd September 2019 at 22:17. Reason: Dude, go easy on the spoilers! This is a SPOILER-FREE thread! Thank you.
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 21:59   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Watched the series "Criminal" on Netflix. This one focuses on police interview techniques. It is completely dialogue based (no visuals of crime or investigation) and mostly happens within the confines of the interview room. I found it interesting.
Old 23rd September 2019, 01:27   #2595
BHPian

Carnival Row (Prime), fantasy, story revolves around a series of murders. Reason to watch was Orlando Bloom, justified the role. Pace was slow at times though

Titans (Netflix), Had high expectations but dissappointed. Would suggest to wait for S2.

Bodyguard (Netflix), Popped up in suggestions. Good plot and well paced. Story about a politicians bodyguard who is a war veteran.

Sacred Games S2 (Netflix), Am I the only here who had headache after watching it. Big thumbs down down from S1. All hype, no show.

Aquarius (Netflix), Again the reason to watch was the actor, David Duchovny, some might remember him from X files and Californication. Set in 1960's, cop drama, lots of drugs, sex and drugs. Discontinued after 2 seasons though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks