Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 12:08   #901
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Anyone watching Downton Abbey ?The story twists are similar to Indian Soaps butDialogues and acting is top notch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Downton Abbey is another fantastic 'period' serial which unfortunately is not being aired in India.
I have watched 2 seasons of this god awful series. What a waste of time. Such wonderful production, sets, costumes, grandeur, even great acting but where is the story? Where is the plot? How can the characters be so stupid and gullible? It is a period series without drama.

The Practice came to an end. Gonna miss the fantastic series. Poirot started last night. Looking forward to it.
Old 26th November 2013, 12:40   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Which season please?

I wonder what Zee is telecasting...
I am not sure.. The promos say new season. The first episode was on the popular story "the five little pigs" which I have already read. But watching on screen is a different experience. I also want to acquire all poirot classics in fine print. How do you import from UK? Doesn't the DVD region code affect the playback? Is this available anywhere in India?
Old 26th November 2013, 13:47   #903
BHPian

Anyone watching doctor who?
I did watch the 2005 season but didn't like it that much. Should I start from the beginning (1963). With the current hype of its 50 anniversary, I wanted an review from someone who watches it.
Old 26th November 2013, 15:02   #904
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Oh yeah. I knew it was coming .
What's your take on yesterday's TWD episode?

Looks like Rick & Co. were completely sidelined for the last two episodes. The next episode is going to be the mid-season finale btw. A cliffhanger as usual is expected!

Someone had shared this on Fb:

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-awesomedeadepisodeeveryfavim.com1064454.jpg

So true!
Old 26th November 2013, 21:03   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What's your take on yesterday's TWD episode?

Looks like Rick & Co. were completely sidelined for the last two episodes. The next episode is going to be the mid-season finale btw. A cliffhanger as usual is expected!

Someone had shared this on Fb:

Attachment 1171461

So true!
Totally agree. This is even better.

I still don't know why I keep watching it .
Old 27th November 2013, 22:45   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appu.bhandari View Post
Anyone watching doctor who?
I did watch the 2005 season but didn't like it that much. Should I start from the beginning (1963). With the current hype of its 50 anniversary, I wanted an review from someone who watches it.
I've watched a few seasons of Tom Baker's episodes. It was fun to watch. Give a few episodes a try. Expect some poor special effects and (very) occasional cheesy/awkward moments.
Old 2nd December 2013, 04:43   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_flying_B View Post
Secondly, about Breaking Bad's music, some examples that i could give without alluding to possible spoilers are below:

'If I Had a Heart' - Fever Ray ..This song is filmed in an S4 episode when Jesse is riding a Go-Kart and the expressions that are captured by the camera are astounding.

'Times are Getting Hard (Take My True Love by the Hand)' - The Limeliters.. S5E14..Ozymandias

'Baby Blue' and the Classic 'El-Passo' by Marty Robbins in the series finale 'Felina' S5E16.
Couldnt agree more.. just to add to it I was hooked to Tv on the Radio - DLZ Ending of Season 2 Episode 10 when W.W utters some famous words about territory!! also the Narcocorrido Negro y azul - Heisenberg Song - S02E07 if I am not wrong..
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:01   #908
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Agatha Christie's Poirot (new season) starts today in Zee Cafe at 11.00 pm. Am a big fan of the poirot series. Hope to catch all the episodes starting today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I have watched 2 seasons of this god awful series. What a waste of time. Such wonderful production, sets, costumes, grandeur, even great acting but where is the story? Where is the plot? How can the characters be so stupid and gullible? It is a period series without drama.

The Practice came to an end. Gonna miss the fantastic series. Poirot started last night. Looking forward to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I am not sure.. The promos say new season. The first episode was on the popular story "the five little pigs" which I have already read. But watching on screen is a different experience. I also want to acquire all poirot classics in fine print. How do you import from UK? Doesn't the DVD region code affect the playback? Is this available anywhere in India?
Sukhoi:
You can buy the Poirot Series off Amazon.co.uk. All these would be Region 2 DVD's. Ive been buying Region 2 DVDs for ages from Amazon.co.uk, Sendit.com (which has now morphed into some other site) and of course at the shops like HMV, BBC Store, ABC Store etc on my visits to the UK and Oz - I have most of the main interesting Brit Serial DVDs with me and am able to watch them perfectly easily on my Sony HD DVD player.
Based on your "heads-up" I did watch the first Poirot telecast episode beginning on Zee Cafe and indeed had programmed it to record but on realising that I already have all the episodes on DVDs, I have stopped it now.
I have just received the Final 9th Season from Amazon. This contains the last Poirot episodes ever filmed. "Elephants Can Remember", "The Big Four", "Dead Man's Folly" etc. Truly beautifully filmed. First class production values. These have just been telecast in the UK. This set also includes "Curtains" where Hercule finally passes on etc. Sad that such a brilliant, iconic series is finally over - after 24 years! It started in 1989 and has ended now in 2013!

NoRules:
I guess this is a matter of opinion. It can be classified as a "Period Soap Opera" - I like it a lot because it brings back the grandeur of a bygone age, the like of which we will never see again. I also enjoy the settings, the great stately homes and England of that period. Yes, the drama levels are a bit weak and the story line is sometimes quite thin and predictable too, but hey, if one can subject one's self to the Indian Saas Bahu nonsense, then why not this?
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:06   #909
Team-BHP Support

Re: Television shows: What do you watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I saw all the 10 episodes over the weekend and its quite an interesting series. Dry at places, however interesting and definitely watchable. However to fully understand the series, one needs to be clued in to the internal US politics.
I recently saw the first season. And you are right. I follow the US politics keenly, so Newsroom is fantastic to watch. If you don't follow US politics, it is better to just skip this one.
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:57   #910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Practice came to an end. Gonna miss the fantastic series.
I suppose you mean the re-runs on Fox Crime? The Practice was aired on Star World (it was Star Plus back then) in its entirety back when it ran from 1997-2004, maybe with a delay of a year or two but it was all there. Brilliant series by David E. Kelley and the only travesty was the last season without the cream of the cast (Dylan McDermott only made a "guest" appearance, Kelli Williams & Lara Flynn-Boyle completely absent). In fact I hate the last season because of the shoddy way the series morphs into Boston Legal, which I think is Kelley's weakest series yet.

But if you like the kind of action-packed/quirky law enforcement The Practice offers, be sure to check out Picket Fences, one of David E. Kelley's earlier shows. Just 3 seasons (again they'd showed all of them on Star Plus) but quite entertaining and absorbing!
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:12   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I suppose you mean the re-runs on Fox Crime? The Practice was aired on Star World (it was Star Plus back then) in its entirety back when it ran from 1997-2004, maybe with a delay of a year or two but it was all there. Brilliant series by David E. Kelley and the only travesty was the last season without the cream of the cast (Dylan McDermott only made a "guest" appearance, Kelli Williams & Lara Flynn-Boyle completely absent). In fact I hate the last season because of the shoddy way the series morphs into Boston Legal, which I think is Kelley's weakest series yet.

But if you like the kind of action-packed/quirky law enforcement The Practice offers, be sure to check out Picket Fences, one of David E. Kelley's earlier shows. Just 3 seasons (again they'd showed all of them on Star Plus) but quite entertaining and absorbing!
Totally agree with you about the last season but I think they had Boston Legal already planned and had to get James Spader in along with "Denny Crane". I was not much into TV earlier. It is only in last 4-5 years I started watching TV series and now I am more than making up for the lost time. Will download Picket Fences soon.

Have you watched The Good Wife?
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:05   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will be hooked for the remaining seasons if you loved the first one. It is usually the first one that many find a bit boring (a la Breaking Bad).
Did you watch the season 2 premiere? Please post back once you do! One of the most shocking episodes of the whole series is this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes, I watched it, but honestly it was good but nothing extremely shocking. I haven't found really shocking episodes out side of Revenge, Breaking Bad & Dexter so far(ofcourse not counting LOST & other old series ).
Looks like you meant last episode of Season 2 & first of Season 3 as both of them were truly shocking

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd December 2013 at 23:46. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:24   #913
Team-BHP Support

Just watched the mid-season finale of TWD and OMG it was amazing! The ultimate showdown you were expecting since ages and it was kickass!

We rewound a few sequences in the episode just to sense the epicness of the damn thing. It was that awesome! The mid-season resumes February 2014. OTOH, Homeland's episode was boring. I hope the writers wrap up this series real quick before it becomes another LOST affair.

And viewers of Sherlock, I bring forth good news! Season 3 premieres on New Year's day. That's right January 1 2014. From BBC One's FB link, here we go:

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-1469985_672423299444758_1130018475_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Looks like you meant last episode of Season 2 & first of Season 3 as both of them were truly shocking
Season 2 finale is a huge HUGE shocker! I am glad you liked the show. From here on, the show becomes very engrossing and the plot widens. Good stuff! You will be hooked no doubt.
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:36   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Did you watch the season 2 premiere? Please post back once you do! One of the most shocking episodes of the whole series is this!
Quote:
Just watched the mid-season finale of TWD and OMG it was amazing! The ultimate showdown you were expecting since ages and it was kickass!

Season 2 finale is a huge HUGE shocker! I am glad you liked the show. From here on, the show becomes very engrossing and the plot widens. Good stuff! You will be hooked no doubt.
I can promise you guys.. there is more to come.. SOA is a great show.. Kurt Sutter the creator of the show actually spent time with Outlaw MC's as a part of the research for the show.. its the closest you could come to know the inside story of MC's like Hells Angels etc.. Have been glued to this show season after season and it keeps getting better and better.. awaiting the S6 finale on Dec 10th

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots......like......this.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd December 2013 at 23:46. Reason: Please see Mod Note in your post. Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:52   #915
BHPian

Quote:

The Practice came to an end. Gonna miss the fantastic series.
Check out 'The Wire'. Very well made and realistic series.

Most Viewed