Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2012, 10:37   #646
BHPian

Re: Television shows: What do you watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
All 3 are brilliant, must watch.

Game of thrones too was enjoyable, lots of drama. It does keep you entertained.

Check out Newsroom, another HBO show. I enjoyed it. Another show called Terra Nova was quite nice, though it got cancelled after the first season.

If anyone wants to see an extremely funny show, watch one called 2 Broke Girls. Makes me laugh like 2 and a half men when Sheen was in it.
Thanks Akshay. Enough and more recommendations from folks who have liked these shows such as yourself. Plus so much buzz around these shows lately.

BTW a close buddy of mine recommended 'Newsroom' just yesterday over general dinner chat. So that and '2 Broke Girls' goes on the stack now.
Old 24th December 2012, 10:48   #647
BANNED

Also would like to recommend the Big Bang Theory
and 30 Rock.
Great wise laughter on both the shows..
I also watch the latest season of How I met your Mother. Very much Friends like
Old 28th December 2012, 22:18   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Heard a lot of buzz around Game of Thrones. Anyone has a take?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The story has lots of suspense, action and turns. As of now, 2 seasons are done.
Amazing series.Just completed season 2. Story of family, betrayal, greed and impending collapse of a royal throne. Cant wait for Season 3 to start. 03.13.2013

This show has earned a reputation for being the most pirated show ever.

Special mention of Sean Bean and Peter dinkalge. Peter was just amazing and has given some of the best scenes TV will ever see.

P.S. Tons of nudity and may not be to everyone's taste especially if you are watching with family OR your better half. Even i felt some scenes did went overboard.
Old 28th December 2012, 22:25   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody caught Alcatraz?
Why do they air shows which have been canceled after one season? And why was it canceled? It quite engrossing.

Also, the was a good series on last year,falling skies.
They've finally aired the second season in India!
Old 29th December 2012, 10:12   #650
BHPian

Guys, is there a way to inform Discovery turbo channel that their shows are really very old??
Im really tired of switching to the channel only to see a show that Ive seen ten times before.

Discovery turbo runs under the name Velocity in the US and they have pretty good shows, new shows in their schedule. Why cant we have that in the Indian channel too? Atleast bring in the US shows after the season is finished.

Anyone agree?
Old 10th January 2013, 03:23   #651
Senior - BHPian

Just finished Watching two seasons of Sherlock

Anyone who is fan of the Sherlock holmes must watch this. This is a brilliant modern day adaptation of how Sherlock Holmes would be in Today's world with the gadgets available today. I always wondered how a modern day Sherlock Holmes would apply science of deduction to tell things about people by just observing them as the original one did.

Btw The Modern Sherlock also has his own site The Science of Deduction

The only down side, they have only 3 episodes per season, although each episode is around 1.5 hours.

Now watching 24, while the concept is interesting, I am not sure if I would watch beyond season one, I mean watching one story over 24 episodes(one for each hour of the day) is stretching it a bit for me.
Old 10th January 2013, 04:11   #652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Anybody caught Alcatraz?
Why do they air shows which have been canceled after one season? And why was it canceled? It quite engrossing.
It started off well but by then end of the 1st season, viewership had fallen and critical reviews were bad

Similar thing happend to Terra Nova, The River, etc.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:05   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

It started off well but by then end of the 1st season, viewership had fallen and critical reviews were bad

Similar thing happend to Terra Nova, The River, etc.
Sad.
I know flash forward had completely run out of what to do, but the event?
And Alcatraz, that had 300 odd plots they could work with. And enough people clamoring for it to continue.

Edit:
If anyone is a fan of marvel /dc TV series, try and get the Avengers -earths mightiest heroes. Its a very addictive watch, provided you are a fan of action toons.

Last edited by mayankk : 10th January 2013 at 09:13.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:06   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Now watching 24, while the concept is interesting, I am not sure if I would watch beyond season one, I mean watching one story over 24 episodes(one for each hour of the day) is stretching it a bit for me.
24 is an excellent series. Season 1 is just a start. 2 (first half), 3 and 4 seasons are really awesome seasons. Season 5 is OK. Seasons 6 & 7 are ho-hum. Finally, season 8 delivers everything that you expect from the 24 series.

A long way for you to go But, once hooked you will be watching the episodes back-to-back.

If you want something shorter, but equally good, I would highly recommend watching Dexter. Its 50mins per episode but only 12 episodes per season. Not suitable for family watching though.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 10th January 2013 at 09:13.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:46   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
24 is an amazing series and I have all 8 seasons on Dvd. We used to watch 6 hours at a stretch - it is really addictive! The best season I liked was season 2.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:40   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
24 is an amazing series and I have all 8 seasons on Dvd. We used to watch 6 hours at a stretch - it is really addictive! The best season I liked was season 2.
I watched the first 5 seasons like a crazy person, almost back to back. Took a break for few months, Will get back to the rest soon.

Game of thrones - Watching the first season. Good series but I would not rate it among the best period dramas I have seen. Spartacus was better. Even Rome was pretty good and so was Camelot.

Presently watching Rizzoli and Isles on Zee Cafe, Grey's Anatomy on Star world HD and ofcourse the eternal favorite - 2 n half men.

Waiting for Zee to come up with Zee Cafe HD.

Alcatraz was a little boring. Even the new one on weekends @ Star World, The Last Resort is so-so.

I liked Revenge, esp the first few episodes. Towards the season finale it got a little too pacy and confusing with unnecessary twists and turns.

Homeland is starting on Star World soon. It is a must watch for all TV show fans. I already watched both the seasons and it is edge of the seat thriller for sure.

Last edited by NoRules : 10th January 2013 at 12:42.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:41   #657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
24 is an excellent series. Season 1 is just a start. 2 (first half), 3 and 4 seasons are really awesome seasons. Season 5 is OK. Seasons 6 & 7 are ho-hum. Finally, season 8 delivers everything that you expect from the 24 series.
Quote:
Is this still relevant? I mean 24 started just after the 9/11 attack. It's main purpose was to drum up support for war on terror, and it was shown on Fox network.
Old 10th January 2013, 13:18   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is this still relevant? I mean 24 started just after the 9/11 attack. It's main purpose was to drum up support for war on terror, and it was shown on Fox network.
To me, it is still very relevant as India is always under constant threats of terrorism and counter-terrorism is extremely important for a country's protection. Though in later seasons the story started deviating from counter terrorism to Jack Bauer's personal struggles!
Season 6 and Season 7 were really all over the place in terms of story line and not as engaging.
Season 8 was decent, with a lot of twists and turns and with Anil Kapoor also doing a good job.

Anil Kapoor has taken a franchise of the 24 series from Fox and is now remaking an Indian version of 24 ! Don't know how that will turn out, but from what I know, it is going to start around Mar.
Old 10th January 2013, 21:42   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post

A long way for you to go But, once hooked you will be watching the episodes back-to-back.

If you want something shorter, but equally good, I would highly recommend watching Dexter. Its 50mins per episode but only 12 episodes per season. Not suitable for family watching though.
Thanks,

I am fan of Dexter, have watched all seasons

Quote:
Hmm with so many recommendations looks like Season 2 I gotta watch, still only halfway through on Season 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I watched the first 5 seasons like a crazy person, almost back to back. Took a break for few months, Will get back to the rest soon.

I liked Revenge, esp the first few episodes. Towards the season finale it got a little too pacy and confusing with unnecessary twists and turns.
Sadly I don't have the luxury of watching back to back Tv episodes these days, most of my watching is on my Android phone during commuting to & from office.

Revenge is nice but not great, Wait till season 2, it gets even more weird twists & turns.
Old 10th January 2013, 23:05   #660
BHPian

Any Breaking Bad fans out there?
I must say.. its one of the best shows i have ever seen. IMDB 9.4 is no joke. Must watch. The story and the characters are well portrayed and one will surely get involved easily. I love it! Completed the 4th season today, will start the 5th tomorrow!

Most Viewed