Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2017, 02:23   #1816
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I think HOUSE is the best character ever written on Tv. Even better than Walter White. Probably, because he was so eccentric and unpredictable.
Well it maybe my view but much of America shares it, Tony Soprano played by James Gandolfini is the greatest character ever written and portrayed on screen.. his performance has to be viewed to understand that, it is full of life, expressions and realism.. Bryan Cranston in comparison is kind of deadpan expressioned.

Not to mention that Cranston himself tweeted this : "Quite simply, without Tony Soprano there is no Walter White." As far as acting goes James Gandolfini is so far above his league that there is no comparison. He opened the door for the anti-hero and for a show that questions what is good and what is bad.

Of course House, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are essentially very different shows appealing to different people.. so a difference is portrayals is very much understandable. Let's just say each has its good points due to which passionate fans debate. Majority Americans prefer The Sopranos while Breaking Bad has become a big hit everywhere else (India specially).

Last edited by dark.knight : 12th July 2017 at 02:29.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 21:40   #1817
BANNED

"Maigret" (for Chief Inspector Jules Maigret of the French Police, played currently by Rowan Atkinson) a BBC production on ZEE Cafe, is one show which I find very appealing. Probably because as schoolboys we found (the translated versions of Georges Simenon's creation) the books gripping. They graced many a book shelf along with Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Philip Marlowe & Miss Marple.

Last edited by shashanka : 12th July 2017 at 21:43.
Old 20th July 2017, 15:32   #1818
Team-BHP Support

Inside Edge

This is an amazon original series on betting and match fixing in an imaginary (lol) T20 league - PPL.

The 10 episode series is a decent one time watch with good performances from some of the cast. Vivek Oberoi, like always, has overacted and hammed a bit. Angad Bedi is good, and so is the other supporting cast.

Production quality is decent, and while there is some bollywood style masala and dramatisation it is a good overall watch considering the standard of domestic TV series. I guess the production team (Farhan Akhtar) made this difference.

Cricket lovers - definitely see this
Old 31st July 2017, 16:47   #1819
BHPian

Watched Homeland latest season. Later wished i hadn't.
Either i grew up or its gone down the commode.
Old 31st July 2017, 17:12   #1820
BHPian

Just finished watching Season 1 of Stranger Things on Netflix. Reminded me of the old sci-fi movies made by Steven Spielberg. Season 2 will be on soon as well. Recommend it.
Old 31st July 2017, 20:54   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Watched Homeland latest season. Later wished i hadn't.
Either i grew up or its gone down the commode.
+1 to that. Don't know what got into the head of the director. Even the acting in the last season was not up to the mark. It's like there is no story and not sure what the director or the script writer wants to show.

After that, I started watching Rosewood where this awesome pathologist teams up with the cops to solve murder cases. Good entertainment for sure. Completed 2 seasons.

Now watching APB. A billionaire (who is an engineer) is struck by tragedy when his friend dies during a robbery attempt. This guy actually buys a police district in Chicago and starts running it. Whats special ? The technology he starts using each day to enhance the quality of the policing.

Last edited by skyrocket003 : 31st July 2017 at 20:58. Reason: Addition to earlier post.
Old 1st August 2017, 05:45   #1822
Team-BHP Support

Am into Season 3 of Fargo, which is on Netflix. Started out really slow and boring, and now seems to have picked up pace. That said, i still think the first series was the best, while Season 2 had its own share of appeal.
Old 1st August 2017, 08:15   #1823
BHPian

Ozark is a series I would recommend. Its on Netflix. Its about a financial advisor who moves his family to Missouri so he can launder truck loads of dirty money for Mexico's second biggest drug cartel.

Season 1 has been solid.
Old 1st August 2017, 08:42   #1824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Am into Season 3 of Fargo, which is on Netflix. Started out really slow and boring, and now seems to have picked up pace. That said, i still think the first series was the best, while Season 2 had its own share of appeal.
Yep, season 1 was the best. Season 3 is 6.5/10 maybe.

Banshee Season 4: It was good, although it seemed like an add-on season with not a lot of connect to the original storyline. I felt sad when it ended, and somehow hope there is one more season.

Americans Season 5: Slightly slower than the preceding seasons, and maybe a little boring because the focus shifted to family drama more than the spy bit.

Unforgotten Season 1: A british series. A whodunnit that slowly builds up. I am midway through the season so lets see how it goes.
Old 1st August 2017, 08:54   #1825
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Ozark is a series I would recommend. Its on Netflix. Its about a financial advisor who moves his family to Missouri so he can launder truck loads of dirty money for Mexico's second biggest drug cartel.

Season 1 has been solid.
Thanks for the recco. Added to my list on Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Yep, season 1 was the best. Season 3 is 6.5/10 maybe.
I've started liking Season 3 seeing Varga's acting.
Old 4th August 2017, 12:05   #1826
BHPian

Anne with and E:

Just happened to check this series and am struck by its simplicity. Simple story line but the characters are so nicely woven into the story line making it a treat to watch.

Its worth a watch from the regular blood and gory that we see in the current top of the charts in terms of television series. Its one series that can be watched by the entire family except for a few scenes.

I am keen to find out more about TV series which are light on the heart and yet engrossing.
Old 7th August 2017, 07:20   #1827
BHPian

Doing a rerun of my old favourites: Battlestar Galactica and Heroes. Details of both can be checked from the following links:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407362/?ref_=nv_sr_1 and
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0813715/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Last edited by ampere : 7th August 2017 at 07:25.
Old 7th August 2017, 08:31   #1828
BHPian

Watched a few series, here are my takes:

1. Ozark : Heavily inspired by Netflix's learning viewer behavior from Breaking Bad, this started out with promise, but can be avoided. It is eerily similar to BB but with pathetic characters and bad acting. Though I watched it, did not like it at all. I have no idea why it's rated over 8 on IMDb.

2. Westworld S1: Based on the actual Movie Westworld, but made for TV, this is a delight for people who love the whole Man/Machine/AI storyline. A Must watch in my opinion. However, please note, it is a slightly mature series. Some very very solid actors over here. Probably the best new series in the past couple of years.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784/

3. Travelers S1: Another sci-fi, but a slightly different take. Quoting IMDb 'Hundreds of years from now, surviving humans discover how to send consciousness back through time, into people of the 21st century, while attempting to save humanity from a terrible future" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5651844/
This is a very watchable series.

4. Black Mirror (S1-S3) : A television anthology series that shows the dark side of life and technology. The stories are something, I haven't come across yet. Every episode is a story. Loved it. Helps it has some great actors too.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 7th August 2017 at 08:35.
Old 7th August 2017, 13:33   #1829
Senior - BHPian

Binge watched a few in the last couple of weeks

1. The Night Manager (4/5) : Good story line and cast, and the amazing acting and direction made it an awesome watch. All those who haven't seen it yet, go ahead and watch it. Wont regret.

2. Mr Robot (3.5/5): Good storyline and concept but lack of attention to details. Season 1 was good but after a couple of episodes in Season 2, lost interest, because the lack of attention to details is even more apparent in season 2 and than 1. My suggetsion : Watch season 1 and then leave it at that.

3. Narcos (5/5): After losing interest in Mr. Robot, picked up Narcos season 2. I just love those movies/TV series which are based on real life stories. And season 2 is a very appropriate closure to the story. Loved it. Now waiting for season 3, which is scheduled to start 1st Sept.

Any more suggestion on TV series based on real life stories (apart from Fargo), please do let me know. There are plenty of movies out there, but very few TV series.

4. The night of (4.5/5): What an amazing series this is and so close to the real life scenarios that one faces from time to time, the confusion that one faces with choosing from the available options, and portraying the logic behind ultimately choosing the wrong one. No fancy stuff in here but the actors have done justice to the story line. And it will keep you hooked till the very last episode.

Next in the list
Westworld

Waiting for
new seasons of Elementary & Narcos, and also waiting for GOT current season to finish so I can binge watch it.

Yeah, completely utilizing my bachelor days on TV Just one more week left
Old 7th August 2017, 15:16   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Rick & Morty - Completed season 1 in 2 days. The episodes are short (appx 20 mins) and I can't wait to start season 2 before I catch up to the current season 3 !

Most Viewed