Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2017, 09:08   #1846
Team-BHP Support

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Wifey wanted to get on the GoT craze, so i started watching all the way from S1 with her, despite already having watched all the episodes till S7. It's interesting to see how i now notice some of the things which didnt strike me earlier, when watching it a second time.
Old 17th August 2017, 15:33   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
B
Next in the list
Westworld

Waiting for
new seasons of Elementary & Narcos, and also waiting for GOT current season to finish so I can binge watch it.

Yeah, completely utilizing my bachelor days on TV Just one more week left
Done with Westworld. Man what a series. A delight to watch. There is so much content in each episode that there were episodes in which I felt I was watching for 2 hours, not 1.
Also started True Detective. Last two episodes of season 1 are left. So far, loving it.

PS: Bachelor days extended !

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 17th August 2017 at 15:34.
Old 17th August 2017, 17:57   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Bloody hell, what an episode
Don't envy them yet. If the penultimate episode is anything to go by, am pretty sure this season finale is going to end with a huge cliffhanger and we have to painfully wait for the elusive Season 8.

I expect E6 to dethrone Battle of Bs in the IMDB list.

Actually there is good fun in weekly watching, there is enough time to discuss and read related stories between the episodes.
Old 18th August 2017, 10:44   #1849
BANNED

Long live the people of Spain and Sweden .

GOT season 7 Episode 6, what an episode. Watched twice already, once when I first got that and again with wife.

The characters are come off with maturity so as the actors. May I hope the old and new Gods to be pleased again and HBO comes with pre-release of episode 7 in some other country .
Old 18th August 2017, 11:39   #1850
Team-BHP Support

..... and after that it is a one and a half year wait :X
Old 18th August 2017, 12:09   #1851
BHPian

Except for the maddening pace, it's a great great season so far. It's building upon itself exponentially.

Last edited by ritzy : 18th August 2017 at 12:16. Reason: Strictly no spoilers! However indirect they may be. Thank you for your understanding.
Old 21st August 2017, 06:42   #1852
BANNED

For me there's nothing like watching re-runs on YouTube of the earlier comedy classics - Are You being served//Everybody loves Raymond//To the manor born// a couple of the Wodehouse teleserials (after being guided there by forum friend arindumbasu13). I find this a better alternative to joining one of the Laughter Cubs sprouting all over the country!
Old 21st August 2017, 12:30   #1853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
For me there's nothing like watching re-runs on YouTube of the earlier comedy classics - Are You being served//Everybody loves Raymond//To the manor born// a couple of the Wodehouse teleserials (after being guided there by forum friend arindumbasu13). I find this a better alternative to joining one of the Laughter Cubs sprouting all over the country!
Hi Shashanka,

Aha!! I knew you'd be hooked on to the Jeeves and Wooster series once you had a go at it. Glad you are enjoying the series.

I love these comedy classics as well. Haven't seen the other ones you've mentioned, so perhaps its time for me to check those out!
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:02   #1854
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hi Shashanka,
Aha!! I knew you'd be hooked on to the Jeeves and Wooster series once you had a go at it. Glad you are enjoying the series.
I love these comedy classics as well. Haven't seen the other ones you've mentioned, so perhaps its time for me to check those out!
Can you blame me! Old Pelham is heady & addictive stuff - like Jeeves' pick-me-ups! Yes I would definitely suggest you try the others & I'll add a couple more if you haven't seen them already (Yes, minister // Yes, Prime Minister // Fawlty Towers). For some reason I cant seem to enjoy much of the American sit-coms.
'Everybody loves Raymond' is a rare gem & an exception.
Cheers,
Shashanka
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:07   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you blame me! Old Pelham is heady & addictive stuff - like Jeeves' pick-me-ups! Yes I would definitely suggest you try the others & I'll add a couple more if you haven't seen them already (Yes, minister // Yes, Prime Minister // Fawlty Towers). For some reason I cant seem to enjoy much of the American sit-coms.
'Everybody loves Raymond' is a rare gem & an exception.
Cheers,
Shashanka
I have indeed watched Yes Minister (this ones certainly a cult classic) and Fawlty Towers. You're right, the American sitcoms, while good in their own right, dont have that x-factor (perhaps the vintage-ish, deadpan, stiff upper lip humor?) which the Brit sitcoms of old seem to carry effortlessly and in spades.
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:13   #1856
BHPian

Quote:
Can you blame me!
Quote:
You're right, the American sitcoms, while good in their own right, dont have that x-factor (perhaps the vintage-ish, deadpan, stiff upper lip humor?) which the Brit sitcoms of old seem to carry effortlessly and in spades.
Check out 'Mind your language' as well. Watched it when growing up and now my kids have seen the series too.
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:33   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Just finished watching following 2 series

Fargo Season 3 - Mixed feelings about this one some brilliant episodes but most were added just for effect without any real connect to the main story.

Btw the tag "This is a true story" is misleading considering just bits & pieces are true & they connect unrelated incidents into one storyLink

Marvels' Defenders - One of the most anticipated series on Netflix from Marvel. Without revealing too much its a small series which unites the 4 characters introduced earlier (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Dare Devil & Iron Fist) as Defenders.

The story is crisp and they have kept it short with just 8 episodes which was new but refreshing as they didn't un-necessarily drag the story.
Old 22nd August 2017, 12:18   #1858
BANNED

Quote:
I have indeed watched Yes Minister (this ones certainly a cult classic) and Fawlty Towers. You're right, the American sitcoms, while good in their own right, dont have that x-factor (perhaps the vintage-ish, deadpan, stiff upper lip humor?) which the Brit sitcoms of old seem to carry effortlessly and in spades.
While I agree about most US sitcoms not making the cut, I've to be careful - a good many of our acquaintances are devotees of the genre! But having said that, "Everybody Loves Raymond" was one US sitcom I found hysterically funny at times! "Cheers" and "Becker" (both starring Ted Danson) are two more US sitcoms I would safely suggest. Happy Viewing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Check out 'Mind your language' as well. Watched it when growing up and now my kids have seen the series too.
Yes, "Mind your Language" was an all time favourite at home too, though we were a little disconcerted to find that the star, Barry Evans, was also popular in a sex comedy series "Adventures of a Taxi Driver"!
Old 22nd August 2017, 17:48   #1859
Senior - BHPian

Black Adder is another brit gem i used to like Along with coupling. The first 3 seasons were hilarious.

Trying to find time to watch S2 of Preacher and Defenders as well. So much to watch, so little time.
Old 23rd August 2017, 07:15   #1860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its more of a personal choice I guess and I understand it from the angle of both sides.. to me British humor was never humor and it is due to my own preferences.. plus for some reason a British accent sends me packing a 1000 miles in the other direction.

I'm more of an All-American guy since I've watched only their shows growing up. American humor in sitcoms is everything that people with a sophisticated taste for comedy will dread.. it uses controversial topics, breaches into awkward, absolutely politically incorrect language/behavior and I LOVE IT! Yes Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond are exceptions and I don't like them too much.. shows like Seinfeld, Its Always Sunny in Philly and Curb Your Enthusiasm are black-comedies, slapstick, crude and overtly controversial and I've laughed my head out watching all three. In some ways I feel American shows are more real-life than British/Indian ones.. life never has all the rosy constructs of loving, understanding and kind people/friends, chances are you're fighting for your very life within the competitive/jealous society for the most part, and racism, partiality, anger and regionalism are very real aspects of what constitutes the "darker" mind of people (though none are expressed out loud - American shows just amplify them and express it outwardly).

This discussion is interesting as I'm watching the series The Office of late, and I quite like it, it is a bit boring but it has its interesting parts and evokes laughter sometimes though quite repetitive. This show is an American remake of the British comedy The Office and though I'd give it a comedy quotient of 4/10, it is quite a real depiction of life at the office, though slightly exaggerated and as a show overall it works well (6/10).

Most Viewed