Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2017, 09:10   #1861
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Its more of a personal choice I guess and I understand it from the angle of both sides.. to me British humor was never humor and it is due to my own preferences.. plus for some reason a British accent sends me packing a 1000 miles in the other direction.
Of course, its a personal choice, and in fact, I started my whole "sitcom journey" with the well known American ones like Friends. Then I graduated to a few others, and till date, two of my favourite sitcoms from the US continue to be Big Bang Theory and Two and A Half Men. Disappointingly enough, both these have kind of faded into oblivion towards the later season, and Im not sure why. I can distinctly see that the very traits which made them popular in the first place have now moved into the realm of repetition, and therefore, the newer sitcoms on the block have taken over. I still watch reruns of the initial few seasons both these series whenever the mood strikes me, and continue to enjoy them.

British sitcoms for me came much later in life. In fact, it started with British drama series including Sherlock Holmes, and followed a natural progression to the ones I spoke about earlier. There is much to be said about both sides of the coin- be it subtle British classic humour, and the louder and more in your face American ones, but if I were to pick one over the other, it would be British. Tend to enjoy both selectively though. At the end of it all, a good laugh is the objective whatever the source.
Old 24th August 2017, 09:03   #1862
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Its more of a personal choice I guess and.....though slightly exaggerated and as a show overall it works well (6/10).
Quite true dark.knight - personal choice & inclination is what makes us interesting - or otherwise! - on the social stage. And so long as we make our way without stepping on others' toes needlessly, life remains a sunny place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
..... At the end of it all, a good laugh is the objective whatever the source.
You've nailed it, Arindam - a good laugh is what its all about! Preferably with some mustard hilsa in my lap to go with the grilled bombay duck!
Old 24th August 2017, 11:29   #1863
BHPian

Is anyone watching 'Ozark'?
I am almost through Season 1, and find it quite intriguing.
Theme is similar to Breaking Bad, not as great, but revolves around Cartels and money.
Jason Bateman is an accountant, tasked with cleaning of cartel money.

Must watch!
Old 24th August 2017, 11:36   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
I am almost through Season 1, and find it quite intriguing.
Theme is similar to Breaking Bad, not as great, but revolves around Cartels and money.
Jason Bateman is an accountant, tasked with cleaning of cartel money.

Must watch!
Yep I am on Episode 6 currently. It has been a decent watch so far. After completing Better Call Saul Season 3, this is one series which has me hooked after watching the pilot of a few others.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:46   #1865
BHPian

2 Series of note:

1. White Gold : British Comedy, every episode is around 30 mins. Loved it. 8/10
2. Westworld: Think I mentioned it before as well. This one is a must watch, in the leagues of the best of the tv shows out there. 9.5/10
3. Ozark: Started off well, has been almost entirely based on Breaking Bad but is frankly boring and repetitive. You can watch it if you have nothing else. 5/10
Old 24th August 2017, 14:42   #1866
BHPian

I am watching 13 reasons why! Very intriguing though it is based on high school life.

Watched first season of Sense 8. It was good initially but became kind of repetitive but still a good watch.

Watched Sneaky Pete and Goliath. Both are recommended.

I am planning to start watching Fargo, House of Cards.

One more, Inside Edge. One of the few hindi ones I really liked. Very good performance by all of the actors.

Note : All of them have adult content, watch who you watch with! 😉
Old 24th August 2017, 19:50   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Marvels' Defenders - One of the most anticipated series on Netflix from Marvel. Without revealing too much its a small series which unites the 4 characters introduced earlier (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Dare Devil & Iron Fist) as Defenders.
Is the whole greater than the sum of the parts? Among the 4, I found only Jessica Jones worth the watch while the other 3 could barely hold my interest on their own. That is why I am hesitant about starting this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
Finished the season recently. Quite interesting, though not edge of the seat kind of series.

I am also watching The Killing, season 1. It is a murder mystery about a teenage girl of a blue collar family. The parents' grief is really heart wrenching and is displayed extremely well, without showing any hysterics. The two detectives also do a very good job of playing their role.

Now, about the last episode of Game of Thrones. I thought it was the stupidest episode ever and felt as if Subhash Ghai had directed it (no disrespect meant for the great entertainer, just that this episode did not gel well with rest of the series)
Old 24th August 2017, 20:09   #1868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Is the whole greater than the sum of the parts? Among the 4, I found only Jessica Jones worth the watch while the other 3 could barely hold my interest on their own. That is why I am hesitant about starting this series.
Yes & No.

Yes, because its an 8 episode series so they have kept the storyline crisp. You get to see Jessica Jones more than Danny Rand(phew). You get to watch Sigourney Weaver. You get more information on the history of "The Hand" which other plots never explained. Daredevil and Luke cage do their part well(not more not less)

No, because you still have to deal with watching Danny Rand. Some holes in the plot (but nothing major)

Hope this helps
Old 25th August 2017, 19:20   #1869
Senior - BHPian

I'm just about completing Person of Interest. Has anyone seen it?
Michael 'Benjamin Linus' Emerson is fabulous in this. It has 5 seasons but Netflix only has seasons 1 to 4.

Do give it a go.
Old 25th August 2017, 20:16   #1870
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, I've seen the first four seasons only. Started off slow but I quite liked it in the end. I do not remember it enough to watch the last season, need to revise a bit.
Old 26th August 2017, 08:48   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Yeah POI is a good show, I watched all seasons. Its getting a little long but its still interesting.
Old 27th August 2017, 18:38   #1872
Team-BHP Support

Wifey wanted to see what the hype around Game of Thrones was all about, and so i decided to start watching it right from the first season, despite the fact that i had watched all till the end of Season 6.

Watching it again has helped me realise how some of the characters came into play, things i hadn't noticed or given much thought earlier when i watched them. We are up to Season 5 in about 10 days, so clearly there is a lot of binge watching going on!
Old 28th August 2017, 09:52   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Watching it again has helped me realise how some of the characters came into play, things i hadn't noticed or given much thought earlier when i watched them. We are up to Season 5 in about 10 days, so clearly there is a lot of binge watching going on!
I had stopped GOT after season 5 hoping the book would come out. Now i guess there is no hope of the next book in the series coming out. So i have started watching the series from scratch. I don't remember much of the book so i don't risk comparing the two for every single scene as i did before ruining most of the fun.
Old 31st August 2017, 00:56   #1874
Senior - BHPian

Started watching "Black Mirror", novel concept with some interesting stories. Each episode is a standalone story so that's kind of new & different.

I am hooked & on season 2 now.
Old 2nd September 2017, 15:54   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Started watching "Black Mirror", novel concept with some interesting stories. Each episode is a standalone story so that's kind of new & different.

I am hooked & on season 2 now.
Similar Progress here. My favourite episodes till now was the "15 Million Merits" and "Be Right back".

I spend time these days oscillating between the mass appeal of GOT, Rick and Morty for fun and Black Mirror for sombre moods.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks