Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:24   #2506
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Interestingly available on Netflix too. Notice many shows are available on both platforms.
Yes I am aware. However, Netflix is way too expensive compared all other service providers in India. So I prefer Amazon prime for now, even though I am missing some rocking series on Netflix.

Netflix has finally realized this and are planning to reduce the rates to compete with Amazon Prime / Hot Start / Zee5 / Sony Live etc... I guess they though of themselves as the king of streaming, but India is extremely price conscious market for everything, so the king will get dethroned very easily. It is not like most of us cannot afford the current Netflix rates, but it is all about comparison. I know most of us are pretty choosy and understand difference mass vs quality, but 70% viewers won't.

For instance, Prime membership is 999/- per year whereas Netflix is 800 per month (top plan), which is like 10x costlier.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 22nd July 2019 at 12:28.
Old 22nd July 2019, 13:22   #2507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Yes I am aware. However, Netflix is way too expensive compared all other service providers in India. So I prefer Amazon prime for now, even though I am missing some rocking series on.

For instance, Prime membership is 999/- per year whereas Netflix is 800 per month (top plan), which is like 10x costlier.
Suits season 8 started slow but picked up in between. Ending was little unexpected. Season 9 has already started. First episode was good.

I have both netflix and prime membership. Prime I took 999 for year. As I order lot of stuff from amazon Prime membership with 1 day free delivery is a boon. Prime video is a plus.
Netflix is kinda expensive at 800 per month for Ultra HD streaming. However, the best part is they provide 4 screens at a time which you can view simultaneously. So, I am splitting it with 4 people. Hence my cost is 200 per month which is quite reasonable.

As a streaming service Netflix is way ahead of Prime. The content is too vast and options are unlimited. Plus HDR quality is way ahead. Also, Netflix originals are mostly well made.

Currently I am watching Typewriter on Netflix. It is an Indian series with The Haunting of Hill House kinda feel. Very well made. Do give it a look.
Old 25th July 2019, 21:42   #2508
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anybody remember the show Titus?
Used to be on star world a long time back. I loved it. And it's fairly apt for team bhp since the main character is a modder.
If someone managed to find it, it's a worthy binge.
And also, please let me know where you found it.
Old 27th July 2019, 11:29   #2509
Distinguished - BHPian

The Bad Boys : 2.5/5

This show starts out with a great promise in the trailer - an anti-superhero team vs super heroes and starts out with a bang in the first two episodes. But then it starts going downhill as the story drags and delays; clearly setting it up for multiple seasons and too many side-scripts.

Had high expectations but somehow lost most of it by the time I reached the last few episodes.
Old 29th July 2019, 19:28   #2510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
And also, please let me know where you found it.
I would really be interested too if you find it on any of the providers...the show really used to crack me up back then.
Old 30th July 2019, 18:34   #2511
BHPian

I would recommend The Last Ship for anyone who have a thing for Action + Thriller Genre. I was terribly addicted to it and binged watched it, thanks to Amazon Prime!

If you love American Military based Movies/ Series you will love this too
Old 31st July 2019, 10:04   #2512
BHPian

NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service) is a very addictive TV series - probably the most popular longest running TV series in the US. The lead star - Mark Harmon - Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs is a no nonsense, tough as a nail strong leader who leads a young team of investigators. In any human drama, a strong leader acts as the central focus figure on whom the whole saga is baked in. Gibbs with his cold steel grey eyes is straight from the best of fiction - very capable, decisive and ruthless.

Written by a team which includes a few Phd, every episode makes you glued to the screen. Must watch for fans of Crime procedural drama.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:34   #2513
BHPian

Finished watching season 2 of Deep State. Is a spy thriller series on Hotstar/Fox. Liked season 2 more. There’s no gadget/backdrop of fancy places sort of thing here. Worth watching.

Had earlier seen Paranoid. An ITV show which is there on Netflix. Is about a murder case with links to Pharma company in Germany. Waiting for season 2. Not sure if it has started filming yet.

Black Earth Rising also on Netflix. Is about ICJ, the justice system, Rwanda genocide. High concept show. Really really liked it.

UN EXTRANO ENEMIGO. On Amazon. A Mexican tv series. One of the best shows I saw in 2018. Set in the backdrop of Mexico preparing to host the Olympics, political manoeuvring, state secret police etc.
I even tweeted to the director asking when season 2 will be broadcast. He said they are still working on a schedule.

TIJUANA Again a Mexican show on Netflix. It is about how dangerous a journalist’s profession is in Mexico. A presidential candidate is murdered in broad daylight and the team from a news journal investigate. Great TV series.
This show is way better than another show “The Candidate” also on Netflix which is inspired from true events of a Mexican presidential candidates assassination.
Old 31st July 2019, 11:19   #2514
Team-BHP Support

Binge watched "The boys" at the expense of sleep. was totally worth it. A really refreshing (but dark) series with stellar acting. One of the rare series where the comic book fans have given it a thumbs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
I would recommend The Last Ship for anyone who have a thing for Action + Thriller Genre. I was terribly addicted to it and binged watched it, thanks to Amazon Prime!

If you love American Military based Movies/ Series you will love this too
I am sorry, but the last ship is like a festival for cliches, there cliches from all planets in the universe came together and decided to do all the circle jerks again and again.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 31st July 2019 at 11:20.
Old 31st July 2019, 14:26   #2515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

I am sorry, but the last ship is like a festival for cliches, there cliches from all planets in the universe came together and decided to do all the circle jerks again and again.
The first season was good when it came out. The second the became landlubbers, the premise was lost, and then it was all downhill.
Old 31st July 2019, 14:34   #2516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Suits season 8 started slow but picked up in between. Ending was little unexpected. Season 9 has already started. First episode was good.
Where you managed to watch the balance 6 episodes? Prime and Netflix only have initial 10 episodes.
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:21   #2517
Distinguished - BHPian

The Boys on Amazon.
Had been in my watchlist and I sat down to see it finally. Brilliant series. Has to be seen.
And finally, Karl Urban gets a decent role.
Highly recommended for people who are fans of superhero stuff.
Old 3rd August 2019, 13:51   #2518
BHPian

If anyone is interested in detective stories then I would recommend the following shows:

1. Hinterland : On Netflix : a slow but engaging detective series set in the rural part of Wales. Have watched 3 episodes so far and have liked them. Each episode is about 90 minutes long

2. Vexed : On Netflix : a quirky detective show. Quite engaging

I have a bone to pick with Amazon Prime. There is a show called Bosch, which is an Amazon Original, which has 4 seasons released so far. The 5th season has been available in Europe for about 6 months now but NOT available in India. Similarly the 4th season was telecast first on Colors and later came on Amazon Prime. Can't understand this release logic of Amazon. But the show is good.
Old 3rd August 2019, 17:32   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
If anyone is interested in detective stories then I would recommend the following shows:

1. Hinterland : On Netflix : a slow but engaging detective series set in the rural part of Wales.

2. Vexed : On Netflix : a quirky detective show. Quite engaging

I have a bone to pick with Amazon Prime. There is a show called Bosch, which is an Amazon Original, which has 4 seasons released so far.
Can't understand this release logic of Amazon. But the show is good.
Hinterland is a Noir. Not the usual crime procedural, so it will be a little “moody”. I have been waiting for season 4. But it hasn’t even started filming yet.

Loved Vexed, specially season 1. If one is sensitive, they may find it to be sexist. It had its share of criticism in the UK.

+1 on Bosch and Amazon Prime. Great show but Amazon takes a lifetime to put it up in India. I think it could be due to some additional editing, I maybe wrong. I saw the “original” of one of the seasons and then the same on the Indian Prime and few scenes in 2-3 episodes were missing.

Shetland : recommend this one. Slow burner crime drama, beautiful beautiful locales. Is on Netflix.

Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries On Netflix. this is a smart murder/crime series from down under and Very popular across the world. There’s a movie as well under planning. Most probably there won’t be a season 4. It has a spin off as well called “Miss Fishers Modern Murder Mysteries.
Old 6th August 2019, 14:10   #2520
BHPian

Watched Dexter all seasons on Netflix, people who love crime thrillers would like it. Keeps you on the edge all the time. By the end of all seasons you would have developed a emotional connect with the characters like you know them personally. (obviously not as much as FRIENDS)
Currently watching Money Heist , its an originally Spanish show, has English dubbing on Netflix. The English voice over & translation could have been better, but a great show to binge watch.
A bit too many cinematic liberties taken, but if you can get over them (We Indians anyway have a high tolerance for cinematic liberties, thanks to Bollywood and Bhai) , its a real interesting one and will keep you fixed on the screen.

Last edited by ishan12 : 6th August 2019 at 14:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks