Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 09:30   #2566
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

I am a fan of Peaky Blinders... I've just been through the first three episodes of season 5, it's not really as good as the last season, unnecessary political stuff ( social justice and the like ) crammed into the plot but still the core character, Tommy is as badass as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Any recommendations for completed shows? Like fully Complete, not just few seasons? I have seen many like breaking bad, prison break and numerous others but still would like suggestions.
BEFORE EVERYTHING, I recommend the legend - MIAMI VICE ( the original 80s TV show ofc, not the lame excuse of a film, please ignore the film )

Must watch for everyone. The plot, the setting in the 80s, the pink neon, the fast cars, the timeline specific costumes which influenced the fashion industry greatly, afterwards.

Another one I recommend is House M.D. You'll be surprised to know that the lead character, House ( Hugh Laurie ) is actually British, his American accent is really good.

Then there is Better Call Saul, but only if you have completed Breaking Bad.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 14:08   #2567
BHPian

Quote:
Any recommendations for completed shows? Like fully Complete, not just few seasons?
BBC Sherlock Holmes (starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman). There were talks that they might do another season but since both Cumberbatch and Freeman are big busy stars now, another season may not come to fruition.

BBC Bodyguard (starring GOT's Richard Madden). May or may not have a second season, but the first season is pretty self contained.

Old 5th September 2019, 15:37   #2568
BHPian

Recently watched Netflix's The Umbrella Academy and Amazon Prime's The Boys. Both are superhero based shows giving some spin to the superhero stories.

The Umbrella Academy is about a group of superheroes who were a team/foster family when they were kids, but broke apart when they got older. They all had a troubled childhood being raised by an eccentric billionaire who is less of a father figure and more of a trainer. So all these superheroes grew up to be emotionally and psychologically damaged who finally come together to save the world while battling their own inner demons and issues. There's less superheroic action in the show and more drama. I really liked the acting of every major actor involved.

The Boys is a negative twist on the superheroes, more specifically an evil version of DC comics' Justice League. The superheroes in the show are morally ambiguous and flawed individuals who sometimes misuse their powers. A group of regular humans called the Boys attempt to take these superheroes down and expose them.

Old 7th September 2019, 09:05   #2569
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If you're a fan of his, you must have seen flash forward. If you haven't, you must. A TV series, though.
Flash Forward was a great show! Pity they cancelled it only after the first season. Was it ever renewed later?
Old 7th September 2019, 09:18   #2570
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Flash Forward was a great show! Pity they cancelled it only after the first season. Was it ever renewed later?
I'm glad they axed it when they did. It didn't have anywhere to go after that season. It was massive in the 22 episodes though.
Old 11th September 2019, 12:51   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if this is off topic but does anyone watch TV shows at higher speed? Like I watch blacklist at 1.5x speed as I feel the characters speak too slow (especially Redington). I have started doing the same with other downloaded shows too. I start at 1.2x and then gradually increase.
I have company! I watch Auto car India show on the DVR at 8x to 16x. It doesn’t deserve a speed slower than that.
Had the misfortune of starting a show on Netflix called Elite. I just clicked forward and those “frames” appear above the forward bar. I in most cases just quickly keep looking at the frames and randomly select a frame later in the scene. Finished 50-58 minutes episodes in 7-8 minutes.
I have been watching many of the movies also on fast forward. Typically finishing some in 20-30 minutes. I realise it’s an odd habit. Maybe the subject and treatment is so inane or I don’t have the patience to see people yapping in movies and shows.
Old 11th September 2019, 13:22   #2572
BHPian

Watched "The Naked Director" on Netflix and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is in Japanese so you need to read subtitles but overall the show is very good. Lots of nudity so beware about that.
Old 11th September 2019, 13:38   #2573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Watched "The Naked Director" on Netflix and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is in Japanese so you need to read subtitles but overall the show is very good. Lots of nudity so beware about that.
Absolutely loved the show and the acting was very top quality. The male lead is a fantastic actor.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:57   #2574
Distinguished - BHPian

I just finished off Marvel's Runaways.
After the epically climactic Cloak & Dagger, this was very run of the mill. However, it was engaging enough for me to watch in 20-30 minute segments over the course of a month.
Kinda like an after-school-special-occasionally-meets-superheroes series.
Its about a group of teenagers who rebel against their parents' criminal acts. the parents are criminals in their support for an alien who has been on earth for hundreds of years. Weirdly weird plot, but it works somehow.
My suggestion is to watch it if you're looking for something average but time-pass.
Old 12th September 2019, 13:49   #2575
BHPian

Has anyone seen:
Babylon Berlin - finally got hold of this one. Mesmerising, very engaging plot. Apparently the most expensive German language serial made so far. Strangely on Netflix US but not in Netflix India library. One would have to source this through alternate means but it will be worth the effort.
Superb production values and mostly shot on location. Set in 1929 it gives a context on how the third reich eventually came about. While watching one keeps thinking, "boy they really don't know what's to come in a few years". There is a lot happening in the show- an investigation, social unrest, the glitzy side of Berlin, a train!
It is not a family friendly serial. Have finished watching 6 excellent episodes out of total of 16.

Counterpart - i don't know why its not talked about much but i really liked it. This science fiction thriller stars J.K. Simmons and is also set in Berlin. Two seasons long. A complex plot, takes a little while to understand what's happening.
Old 12th September 2019, 16:58   #2576
BHPian

Finished watching The Staircase on Netflix. Its a real life documentary about a murder case involving a woman, the subsequent court room drama, conviction and all the usual stuff in between. Pretty good one as per me

Shows like this and Making a Murderer really gets me thinking on how fair the justice system in the US actually is.

Another show that talks about false convictions is The Innocent Man also on Netflix
Old 13th September 2019, 10:23   #2577
Senior - BHPian

Finished The Spy on Netflix. Gripping story! Sacha Baron Cohen has acted really really well!

Rating: 4/5

Also started with The Mindhunter. Very interesting series!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Absolutely loved the show and the acting was very top quality. The male lead is a fantastic actor.
Loved the show!!!

There is another show in Japanese called "Husband won't Fit". Do check it out

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th September 2019 at 11:09. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 13th September 2019, 11:03   #2578
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Yes, and the way they showed Japan of the 80s/90s was quite brilliant.
Old 13th September 2019, 11:39   #2579
BHPian

Person of Interest

It has great premise, good story lineup and characters. Check out the first season and I am sure you will spend the whole week on it.

Quote:
Any recommendations for completed shows? Like fully Complete, not just few seasons? I have seen many like breaking bad, prison break and numerous others but still would like suggestions.
Old 14th September 2019, 10:01   #2580
Senior - BHPian

Wu-Tang-An American Saga:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9113406/

"The show tracks the Wu Tang Clan's formation, a vision of Bobby Diggs, who strives to unite a dozen young, black men that are torn between music and crime but eventually rise to become the unlikeliest of American success stories."

Watched four episodes and it's been ok. Keep waiting for when they finally team up to lay down the killer tracks the Wu is famous for

Most Viewed