Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2020, 13:52   #2986
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watched 'You' on Netflix. Its an unusual thriller about an obsessive bookstore manager who goes to extreme levels to stalk people. Initial 5 episodes are a bit slow, then it gains a bit of traction. While the overall pace isn't exactly fast, I quite enjoyed it.
Old 30th May 2020, 09:57   #2987
BHPian

In case people are looking for a short TV series, I would definitely recommend ‘Spy’ on Netflix. The series is made up of only 6 episodes, each being 40-50 minutes long. This is based on a true story involving an Israeli spy and his adventures in Syria.

IMDB reviews point out that many aspects of the show are one-sided and factually inaccurate. You might also find some scenes to be completely unrealistic but these things will not prevent you from enjoying the show. There are few scenes which have nudity in them so I will not recommend it for the entire family.
Saanil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 10:51   #2988
Senior - BHPian

Fargo-watched season 1, 10 episodes in the last 1 week. I have seen the movie which was made by the Coen Brothers, and I thought it was one of their better movies. Actually was never a big fan of their movies, but Fargo, the movie was quite good.

Now the Fargo series is sort of on the same genre as the movie, in fact season 1 had the same backdrop,in terms of locations, even characterisations of lead actors etc, but the fundamental issue is the plot. A bit slow too, also what sort of works against this series is that there is not much of a suspense element, not really like a whodunnit, rather it's more about when things will come to an end.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st May 2020 at 07:07. Reason: Spoiler bit edited out
Old 30th May 2020, 11:30   #2989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

I thought Jaideep Ahlawat played the role really well! I would put his performance way up there with Tony Dalton in S5 of Better Call Saul.
Agreed.
Tony Dalton did an amazing job in BCS. We wanted Lalo Salamanca in Breaking Bad.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 12:23   #2990
Senior - BHPian

Binged watch Its always Sunny in Philadelphia all 14 seasons. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Arrested development 1st season has been very good. First 3 seasons are regarded really good and later it stinks. Let's see how it goes.

Gangs of London has one of the best choreographed action scenes you will see. First 5 episodes are great but last 3 just don't sync well with an absurd ending.
Old 30th May 2020, 19:36   #2991
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Watched Caliphate on Netflix. A Swedish drama on how ISIS recruits young people & radicalizes them. Overall pace is a bit slow with a few gripping moments. Underrated show overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I would definitely recommend ‘Spy’ on Netflix. The series is made up of only 6 episodes
This is a good watch. Its not exactly fast paced with too many twists! But it works with the overall setup & some good acting.
Old 1st June 2020, 07:58   #2992
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, need some more recommendations please. Family wants to watch Indian / Hindi shows. We love crime thrillers & political drama. Stuff that we've enjoyed:

- Mirzapur
- Special Ops
- Paatal Lok

Tried City of Dreams last night and we are liking it. Did NOT enjoy Sacred Games. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance .

P.S. Is Crime Patrol still good?
Old 1st June 2020, 08:22   #2993
Senior - BHPian

Two Indian shows that I can think of are The family man and The test case (on ALT Balaji) not exactly crime thrillers. But well made I felt.

Other than these, Jamtara is decent- again not same genre you want. Then if you want a light hearted down to earth show, there is Panchayat.

Last edited by vibbs : 1st June 2020 at 08:29.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 08:39   #2994
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any other recommendations?
The Family Man. On Amazon Prime, please be sure do check out the Trivia bits for any serial you watch. Good to read about some interesting bits on the sets or about the characters. They are located under X-Ray on the top-left corner.

Quote:
Did NOT enjoy Sacred Games. Any other recommendations?
I am surprised you didn't like it! What went wrong? Too much of violence/gore to everyone's liking?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 08:50   #2995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need some more recommendations please.Stuff that we've enjoyed:

- Mirzapur
- Special Ops
- Paatal Lok
Couple of fantastic watch in Zee:
1. Rangbaaz 1 and 2 - I liked the second part more but both are riveting watch with solid performances from all.

2. Kaafir - a slow burn watch with Dia Mirza and Mohit Raina, liked the theme of the show.

Also, Made in Heaven streaming in Amazon prime is a good watch as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Two Indian shows that I can think of are The family man and The test case (on ALT Balaji) not exactly crime thrillers. But well made I felt.

Other than these, Jamtara is decent- again not same genre you want. Then if you want a light hearted down to earth show, there is Panchayat.
Agreed, Jamtara I found very good with such a lively cast with fantastic performances. Family man is a decent watch as well.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 09:09   #2996
Team-BHP Support

Atypical - Netflix

I did a quick search on this thread for this show, and was surprised to not find it listed.
Streaming on Netflix, this is one of their own productions, and has run for 3 seasons so far, with a new season due for 2021.

The series revolves around the Gardner family who have an autistic son, and his life experiences as he navigates his way through daily life. The sequences around the family are quite endearing, and the fact that i work with a colleague who is on the spectrum helps me find a connect with the way the character is portrayed.

A must watch from my side, for a feel good series, although this may not be to everyone's interest.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-atypical.jpg
benbsb29 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 09:26   #2997
BHPian

Watched "The Last Ship" and I must say its one of the best i have seen ever.All the artists have done a fantastic job and have justified their role. Must watch in my opinion.
5 seasons and you wont get bored even a bit.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 09:39   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need some more recommendations please. Family wants to watch Indian / Hindi shows. We love crime thrillers & political drama.
I would recommend:

Jamtara (Netflix) - Thriller, based on phishing and online scams. I liked it.
Afsos (Prime) - Dark comedy, about a man who wants to commit suicide. Could have been made better, may not suit everyone's taste.
Breathe (Prime) - Crime thriller starring Madhavan. Bit predictable and could have been better.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 13:05   #2999
Team-BHP Support

My daughter and me were in the middle of enjoying Full House when it suddenly got pulled away from Netflix effective today. Damn.

We'll give the sequel Fuller House a try. It is amazing how they were able to get entire cast together again after decades. Any reviews? Does it come anywhere close to the original, which was 4.5 stars IMO.
Old 1st June 2020, 14:07   #3000
Distinguished - BHPian

Started watching Space Force on Netflix yesterday and would rate it 3.5/5 based on the first 4 episodes. Steve Carell + Greg Daniels combination (known for The Office, US version) seem to have started off on something good, need to see how they progress and built out the characters.
Seems to be a light watch as of now with some bits of humor thrown in. Story revolves around trials and tribulations of a 4 star US general who is tasked with setting up a base on the moon.

Most Viewed