Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2020, 06:43   #3046
Team-BHP Support

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Started watching The Affair; brilliant performances all-round and Ruth Wilson (as Alison) especially is just brilliant. Was at mid-way of season 2 and it suddenly vanished from Netflix (some copyright violation it seems). In India I believe all the 5 seasons are available on Prime.

Season 1 Rating - 9/10
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 07:54   #3047
BHPian

Watching Fauda on Netflix. Completed Season 1 and 2. I liked the story and found it engaging and somewhat a different premise. It deals with Israel Palestinian conflict.
Thanos-VV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 08:13   #3048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos-VV View Post
Watching Fauda on Netflix. Completed Season 1 and 2. I liked the story and found it engaging and somewhat a different premise. It deals with Israel Palestinian conflict.

I just started watching Fauda this week, have seen 3 episodes until now. But I find it very disengaging due to the dubbing not being in sync. And felt that the acting too was very mediocre. Not sure if it gets better with the latter episodes, but I couldnt understand the hype of this series after watching the first 3 episodes.
Old 24th June 2020, 08:24   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I just started watching Fauda this week, have seen 3 episodes until now. But I find it very disengaging due to the dubbing not being in sync. And felt that the acting too was very mediocre. Not sure if it gets better with the latter episodes, but I couldnt understand the hype of this series after watching the first 3 episodes.
Agreed about the dubbing part and the subtitles and the dubbed English are completely different and hence I switched off subtitles. I started it without much expectation (since I was not aware of the review) and found it engaging. So far so good for me and it is a different plot than the usual ones.
Old 24th June 2020, 08:38   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have realised that foriegn language films/series should be watched in original sound track. Dubbing really dilutes the emotions in the dialogues.

I watched it in the original soundtrack and felt most of the cast having done a good job. The english dubbing does not really promote any punch being transfered to dialogue delivery.

Lior raz (Doron) and Leitita Eido (shirin) are the best of the lot specially in the first two seasons. But you really should refrain from watching the english dubbed version if reading subtitles is not a bigger downer for you.

I felt this to be one of the better ones in Netflix.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 09:08   #3051
BHPian

The Wire (2002) on Hotstar. Gripping crime drama with compelling screenplay. Raw and gritty. A lot of social commentary also on contemporary America

5/5

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/
hothatchaway is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 20:35   #3052
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fargo, the TV series, watched season 2 over the last 2 weekends and I must say season 2 was way better than season 1.
Thank you for this! I caught up with season 2 and just wrapped it up.

Loved the premise and the narrative more than S1. I also loved the whole concept of the invincible antagonist in the serial! I mean typically, one would expect a showdown between the good guys and the villains as the serial draws to a close. Pretty fast paced too this time. Will definitely recommend this.

Moving on to S3 now. Let's see how that goes!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 21:11   #3053
BHPian

Brooklyn 99: The individual characters have been developed really well and are thoroughly entertaining. A very pleasing and likeable show to bust stress.
Man like Mobeen- The TV equivalent of Four Lions. Brilliant one liners and hilarious.
Both are on Netflix.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 21:15   #3054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Thank you for this! I caught up with season 2 and just wrapped it up.

Loved the premise and the narrative more than S1. I also loved the whole concept of the invincible antagonist in the serial!
Moving on to S3 now. Let's see how that goes!
Quote:
Fargo, the TV series, watched season 2 over the last 2 weekends and I must say season 2 was way better than season 1. In fact, the backdrop remains the same as in season 1 and even the movie. And I found season 2 to be much faster, may be also less quirky than season 1 and it worked to a great extent.

Would definitely give it a 4/5. Im told season 2 is probably the best of the whole lot in this series, so glad I caught this.
Somehow this Series was forgotten. Thanks for refreshing the memory. Something to binge watch for this weekend!! Season 2.
Old 25th June 2020, 21:24   #3055
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife and mum have started binging on Korean dramas. They are available on Netflix, and on zee5 in Hindi. Pretty decent, they are, and there's loads of them. Maybe of some use to people here.
There is one called crash landing on to you or something to that effect, which was interesting. That done, so now they are watching descendents of the sun, which is also engaging them.
Old 25th June 2020, 21:44   #3056
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I enjoyed Fauda Seasons 1 & 2, I liked the fighting and combat scenes. Started watching Season 3 but got a little irritated with the way the "heroes" induce innocent folks to turn evil so I stopped.

Quote:
Fargo, the TV series, watched season 2 over the last 2 weekends and I must say season 2 was way better than season 1. In fact, the backdrop remains the same as in season 1 and even the movie. And I found season 2 to be much faster, may be also less quirky than season 1 and it worked to a great extent.

Would definitely give it a 4/5. Im told season 2 is probably the best of the whole lot in this series, so glad I caught this.
Enjoyed Fargo throughout, season 1 was pure evil. It really shows how bleak and barren, life in the Mid West can be!
Old 26th June 2020, 20:46   #3057
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Saw a few more series/movies on Netflix.

Jamtara - Decent watch. Its an Indian series based on phishing & online scams.

Bodyguard - British series based on a politicians bodyguard. Its gripping in most parts. Good watch overall.

Never Have I Ever - Story about an Indian origin teen going to school in America. Not too bad, strictly ok watch so far.

Axone - A movie based on the life of the people from North-East in Delhi. Found it a bit underwhelming. Perhaps they should have made a web-series out of the story. Vinay Pathak is wasted in the movie & the lead actress has a really strange accent!

365 Days - Don't bother unless watching steamy scenes is your main criteria.
Old 27th June 2020, 11:38   #3058
BHPian

Weekend views: BBC Miniseries. Smileys People (6 Parts) . A adaptation of John le carre's spy novel of same name. Good acting , plausible plot and great aesthetic film making. Available freely on Youtube

Last edited by srini1785 : 27th June 2020 at 11:46.
Old 27th June 2020, 12:05   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I enjoyed Fauda Seasons 1 & 2, I liked the fighting and combat scenes. Started watching Season 3 but got a little irritated with the way the "heroes" induce innocent folks to turn evil so I stopped.

!
I liked the third season more actually. The ending especially to show the futility of it all.

Finished watching first season of Sense8. Good in bits. But didn't enjoy portrayal of India. Specially with Anupam Kher in the cast, I felt it was a bit too stereotyped. Other than that it is a decent watch, has its moments, but gets slow at times. NSFW scenes aplenty as well.
Old 27th June 2020, 23:30   #3060
BHPian

Finished watching Dark season 3.
One of the most mind boggling finale series. The mystery between the two worlds and three centuries is worth watching.

Rating: 5/5
jigar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed