Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2020, 10:55   #3151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Dude, you have seriously read my mind. I'm midway through season 3 and I'm struggling to place myself in front of the screen and continue. Does it get better? is season 4 better? Or just plain abandon. Thanks
Trust me on this - it gets very painful after S03, unless you are into the whole 'woke' millenial SJW thing. Abandon ship, i would safely say. Invest your time better on Succession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Season 1 is killing both the missus and me. Watching S01 E03 and we are waiting for it to get interesting. I hope it does.
Stay with it. It starts slow, but BOY, does it give you chills later or what! As i said S02 is just sheer WOW.. .but you gotta get thru S01 to experience it though.
Succession is a show where i hated every character shown but ended up loving the series as a whole.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th July 2020 at 12:23. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote functionality (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
WindRide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 13:04   #3152
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

I just finished an ITV mini series called "A Confession" on Sony LIV. Martin Freeman is impressive as the detective superintendent who solves a difficult murder and the trials and tribulations accompanying it (not revealing more since it would be a spoiler).

This is based on a true story and is refreshingly bereft of gratuitous sex, violence and drama that one has come to expect from docudramas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Hello bhpians,
I am looking for recommendations for shows(preferably in Hindi) that I can show to my mother. Almost all of the shows today on OTT sources are full of vulgarism or slangs even where not required. Any recommendations will be helpful.
There are plenty of family-friendly options on the OTTs. The best way I have found is to go to a show that you like, say Yeh Meri Family, and click on "more like this".
There is a treasure trove of 1980s light comedies on Netflix and Prime. That is my go-to for family viewing.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 13:38   #3153
Senior - BHPian

I was forced to watch Hamilton.
4.5/5

Despite me having 0 knowledge of American history, I did like it. We in India desparately need our own Lin-Manuel Miranda to make something like this. An Indian version could be an absolute historic masterpiece.

Anyway, I've been advised to watch Rake. Has anyone here watched it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Trust me on this - it gets very painful after S03, unless you are into the whole 'woke' millenial SJW thing. Abandon ship, i would safely say. Invest your time better on Succession.
True. The writing and editing had eroded the shows appeal since S4. They spent TOO much time harping on socio-liberal political correctness.

After that it seemed that the producers were trying hard but failing to continue the clever writing & sharp screenplay, relative compared to how it earlier was - i.e. when many things were implied & left to the viewers wit, those were being said out in full sentences.

Also Season 5 has been particularly ridiculous. IMO they couldn't keep up the "Mike Prince" hype and when they failed all these episodes, they released their last one based on Limitless . IMO this was the last straw as it made the actors lose their sharp & edgy characterisation and they ended up looking like chimps on meth. *Damn sad, I used to be stoked to support TeamAxe.*

Though a few parts were well made, like the triangle between Wendy, Axe and the Artist, or even how Chuck blocked the banking charter and then damaged Axes' painting, or also how Spyros' character inspired relatable disgust, but overall those parts couldn't compensate IMO.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 29th July 2020 at 13:45.
Old 30th July 2020, 02:42   #3154
BHPian

Have picked up this habit of late night TV watching. I can't fall asleep as I log off work by 11 and I really need 3 - 4 hours to wind down.

These shows are my all time favorite -
1. Friends - Watching the show for the millionth time and its just as involving as I watched it on day 1 (2006). On Season 8 now...
2. Everybody Love's Raymond - Searching the episodes on YouTube. Really wish Netflix brings this in their listing
3. King of Queens - YouTube: Funny but can get a little dull after season 4
4. Yes Dear - YouTube: Hilarious, you'd have to search for the playlists
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 20:03   #3155
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Saw 'Elite' on Netflix. Its a Spanish Teen Drama based on the going-ons in an exclusive private school. The show deals with the rich poor divide among some other topics, with murder of a student being the main element. The narrative keeps switching from the interrogations scenes to the scenes which led to the crime. Not a bad watch overall.
Old 31st July 2020, 15:14   #3156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Saw 'Elite' on Netflix. Its a Spanish Teen Drama based on the going-ons in an exclusive private school. The narrative keeps switching from the interrogations scenes to the scenes which led to the crime. Not a bad watch overall.
Just to add it has a lot of 18+ scenes so please refrain watching with family. Quite entertaining though.

Finished How to Sell Drugs Online second season. It's even better than the first one. 30+ mins 6 episodes makes it a quick binge. Quite enjoyable if you are in a mood of something light and fun.

Both shows are on Netflix with English dubs.

Last edited by harry10 : 31st July 2020 at 15:20.
Old 31st July 2020, 18:21   #3157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Have picked up this habit of late night TV watching. I can't fall asleep as I log off work by 11 and I really need 3 - 4 hours to wind down.

These shows are my all time favorite -
1. Friends - Watching the show for the millionth time and its just as involving as I watched it on day 1 (2006). On Season 8 now...
2. Everybody Love's Raymond - Searching the episodes on YouTube. Really wish Netflix brings this in their listing
3. King of Queens - YouTube: Funny but can get a little dull after season 4
4. Yes Dear - YouTube: Hilarious, you'd have to search for the playlists
Good list that. I used to like watching My Wife and Kids as well. But my all time favourite to wind down would be Whose line is it anyway. Amazing show that
Old 31st July 2020, 18:56   #3158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Have been binging on Good Doctor ( Prime Video) recently. It is a remake of a Korean series by the same name.

Started this because I am a big fan of Grey's Anatomy which is on a break now, and found this to be as good with the right mix of Medicine and Drama.
Then I would suggest "House"
5/5
Quote:
Dr House, an ingenious and unsociable physician who flouts hospital rules, clashes with fellow doctors and his assistants as he comes up with controversial hypotheses about his patients' illnesses.

Last edited by mvadg : 31st July 2020 at 18:59.
Old 31st July 2020, 19:53   #3159
BHPian

Developed an affinity for watching series on Amazon Prime during the lockdown. Below are the series which I have completed and would definitely recommend -

1. The Mentalist(7 seasons) - A homicide investigation series. Charming characters. Ended up becoming a fan of Simon Baker.
2. Person of Interest(5 season) - Series in which protagonist tries to prevent crime with the help of AI.

Comedy-
'Mom' - I am in 4th season. Total series already telecasted -7.
It's a story based on relation of an alcoholic Mom-Daughter.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 20:02   #3160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I've also begun rewatching the good wife and Top Gear. Good wife was always nice, and I'm enjoying seeing it again after a year now.
Polished off "the good wife" again, and it was just as good as last time.
Then began on the good fight, which carries forward some characters from the good wife, Diane and lucca. It's also quite nice, but season two is better than season 1.however season 3 blows everything out of the water. It's more focused on the Trump administration, and you have to see the episodes to understand freedom of expression as compared to ours. If even the idea of one of those episodes was floated in India, the ideator would be finished for life, literally.
Old 31st July 2020, 20:14   #3161
Senior - BHPian

Breathe - Into the Shadows. --> Amazon Prime

Abhishek Bacchan and Amit Sadh all the way, the series is gripping, keeps you on the edge of the seat while making you admire both of these actors who have come a long way from where they started.

Absolutely loved it and can't wait for season 2 to come.

Rating: 5/5
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 20:22   #3162
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I've been advised to watch Rake. Has anyone here watched it ?
Rake on Netflix is an Australian light hearted subtle comedy show about a lawyer. The show has really high ratings but for some reason I didn't enjoy it much! Show isn't for everyone perhaps, I stopped watching 2 episodes into Season 2.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 20:41   #3163
BHPian

Watched this show on Netflix called "Schitt's Creek". Extremely funny and light hearted. Probably the best series ever watched.

It is about a really wealthy family who goes bust and how they rebuild their lives in a town which they once purchased as a joke!

Last edited by JayKis : 31st July 2020 at 20:44.
JayKis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 10:25   #3164
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost done watching a Flemish series called The Twelve (De Twaalf) set in the Belgian city of Ghent. It deals with a jury trial of a woman accused of murder. Absolutely brilliant direction and great performances all around. Flemish is quite similar to English and, though you will need subtitles, it makes for easier viewing than say, a Scandinavian flick.

Told in quasi-Rashomon style, the character development is some of the best I have seen in a Netflix series. Moving seamlessly across 3 decades, the story is revealed in tantlising bits as we discover the truth through the eyes of each jury member.

Worth a watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Breathe - Into the Shadows. --> Amazon Prime

Abhishek Bacchan and Amit Sadh all the way, the series is gripping, keeps you on the edge of the seat while making you admire both of these actors who have come a long way from where they started.

Absolutely loved it and can't wait for season 2 to come.

Rating: 5/5
This actually *is* Season 2. Season 1 (just called Breathe) was pretty ordinary, starred R Madhavan in rather harebrained story of a father killing sick people to get his child up a transplant list .
I agree that S2 is miles better and has a more solid cast. But the central premise (am not revealing more since that would a spoiler) is so 1980s. Another thing that irritates me about this director is a majority of the significant events take place by coincidence: characters randomly bumping into each other at petrol stations, supermarkets, malls, 5-star hotels and what not. Which would still be understandable in a small town but in cities like Delhi and Mumbai (where S1 was set) it just buggers all belief.

Still it's a breezy watch and I would agree it's worth a watch.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 15:00   #3165
BHPian

Completed "The Handmaid's Tale". Waiting for next season now. Really liked it. Started with "Master of None". First episode didn't intrest me much. Let's see how it is ahead.

Most Viewed