Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2021, 21:12   #3886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

City of Dreams- Season 2( Disney Hotstar)

The series is watchable but it dragged during the last two episodes. The series could have been shorter by at least two episodes. Season 1 was tautly made with some impact as well but the second season is made too conveniently. The last episode kind of redeems the series somewhat and it also gives the scope of a third season. I hope the third season makes up for the second season. The cast is good and all the actors play their parts well however Sushant Singh was wasted in the role of Anna. Made to look like Nana Patekar from Parinda but ended up with something else. Looking forward to the third season.

Rating- 3/5

Designated Survivor- Netflix

Again, one series whose season 1 is fantastic and the rest of two seasons eminently forgettable. The second and third season drags and it becomes a mighty bore by the time it ends. Kiefer Sutherland plays his part well and so are the rest of the actors including Kal Penn.

Season 1 is very good but the same can’t be said about the other two seasons. Watchable nevertheless.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 21:39   #3887
BHPian

For anyone who prefers offbeat/unconventional, high quality, short (8~14mins each) animation films, this is recommended -

Love, Death and Robots - Netflix (Warning - Some are NSFW/Rated M)
All are standalone projects made by renowed studios from across the world.
Old 7th August 2021, 22:35   #3888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post

Again, one series whose season 1 is fantastic and the rest of two seasons eminently forgettable. The second and third season drags and it becomes a mighty bore by the time it ends. Kiefer Sutherland plays his part well and so are the rest of the actors including Kal Penn.

Season 1 is very good but the same can’t be said about the other two seasons. Watchable nevertheless.
Really?
I thought season 3 was much better than the 2nd one. It became a little more gritty, a bit heavier. Sutherland was more house of cards than designated survivor in season 3. Opinion only.
Old 7th August 2021, 22:48   #3889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Really?
I thought season 3 was much better than the 2nd one. It became a little more gritty, a bit heavier. Sutherland was more house of cards than designated survivor in season 3. Opinion only.
I don't watch many series but this is definitely the first one where I have seen so many main actors exit abruptly before a season. Kinda lost the plot after the first couple of episodes and didn't continue post.
Old 7th August 2021, 23:11   #3890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Really?
You said it, season 3 was better then season 2 but all said and done, season 3 was all about <spoiler here> All other back stories were simply put away too conveniently and that was for me- a bummer !! And yes, opinion only

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th August 2021 at 14:30. Reason: Deleted potential spoiler bit. Thanks.
Old 9th August 2021, 07:11   #3891
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post

Totally agree. We binge watched Season 1 and was so looking forward to the next season. However, it was so bad, we stopped watching the show altogether from there on. Somehow the anxiety and suspense felt so wasted and we couldn't relate to the characters at all.
Old 9th August 2021, 09:52   #3892
Distinguished - BHPian

Binge watched the entire first season of HIT & RUN, an Israeli-American co-production starring Lior Raz of Fauda fame. Starts slow but builds up superbly with plenty of twists. Can't wait for Season 2!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:50   #3893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Binge watched the entire first season of HIT & RUN, an Israeli-American co-production starring Lior Raz of Fauda fame.

Was waiting for this, and the next season for Fauda.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 14:50   #3894
BHPian

Recently watched The Looming Tower on amazon prime.

This is an old 10 part series on 9/11 attacks in NY. It highlights that there was a lack of information sharing between CIA and FBI and infers that the attacks could have been prevented had someone from CIA shared one important piece of information with the FBI.

The series is based on a book of the same name written by Lawrence Wright. Good performances by Jeff Daniels and Tahar Rahim (he also played Charles Shobraj in The Serpant).

One warning though - it has nudity so do not watch with kids.

Last edited by luvDriving : 9th August 2021 at 15:16. Reason: forgot warning
luvDriving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 15:17   #3895
BHPian

The Night Manager on Amazon Prime. Based on the novel of the same name, starring Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. Found it to be a good watch. Its only six episodes long with good performances by the cast, but I found the storyline feeble at some crucial moments.
Old 11th August 2021, 01:21   #3896
BHPian

Watched The Brink on Hotstar, actually binged watched. It is a mad show, and lives up to its name.

A stellar cast, with Jack Black, almost like watching an electric eel, you know seeing it getting lit up is just moments away, Tim Robbins is smooth and good to see him in form.
Some clichés and some insights on how American Establishment views our part of the world.

It's a 2015 show and cancelled after Season 1 (for obvious reasons)
A good watch
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:15   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Finally completed all 3 seasons of Designated Survivor. Though I am not a fan of political drama, just watched it because of Kiefer Sutherland who was brilliant in 24.

Some episodes just got me to reality what is happening around today. One episode mentioned of "stocking up hand sanitizers & face masks" & last couple of episodes had "Pegasus (spyware)" which in the news currently.
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 14:58   #3898
AZT
BHPian

Saw 'The Good Doctor' recently and would highly recommend. The show is about a gifted autistic surgeon Shawn and his trials at work and also dealing with emotions. I did not know much about autism before this and probably had some misconceptions so this was also a good learning for me. The show has handled the concept delicately and extremely well.

The main stars are Freddie Highmore (of August Rush fame) and Richard Schiff (Toby from West Wing). You also have Lisa Edelstein (Cuddy from 'House') playing a major role in season 2 and also special appearances by many famous actors who you'd recognize. Wilson from House has an episode and Will Bailey from the West Wing also makes an appearance.

This is probably the only show playing simultaneously on Netflix, Prime and SonyLiv which itself is crazy. India season 4 rights have been bagged by SonyLiv but first 3 seasons are available on all platforms.

Would definitely recommend, not just for the actors but also for the story line.
Old 12th August 2021, 15:18   #3899
BHPian

I don't know if this has been discussed here earlier, but I think another underrated series (on Netflix) is Spartacus

Be warned though, that it has a lot of NSFW/Not Safe for Family Viewing and gory Content, but the story line for atleast first 2 seasons is quite gripping. Not as kicked up for S3 and 4. I particularly like the distinguished Archaic English dialogues. Again, Watch at your own discretion - fair warning due to some explicit scenes.

Currently binge watching Hit and Run, as always a spectacular performance by Lior Raz (Fauda fame). I'd rate 8/10 overall so far (till episode 5)

Another recommendations to watch, from my favorites collection:

- Person of Interest APV- Very interesting and gripping series. Watch it to experience yourself. I ended up binge watching all 5 seasons.
Old 12th August 2021, 15:58   #3900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Katla - 4/5

The first Icelandic series on Netflix, came as a recommendation to me from the streamer. The plot revolves around lives of the few residents left in the small town of Vik which is locate near the subglacial volcano Katla which had been spewing ash continuously for past one year. Suddenly mysterious people start emerging from the glacier near the volcano and their effects on the lives of the people in the town forms the crux of the plot.
The cinematography is spectacular, lingering and bleak and the pace of the show is slow, suspenseful, almost meditative. So if you are looking for quick thrills and lots of action, be warned, this is definitely not the show for you. I surely enjoyed the slow pace of the show but would assume this will not be to the liking of everyone.

On a general note, Netflix has surely globalized the TV viewing experience for many of us. Apart from the usual American and British shows, in the last year I have watched French (French, Belgian), Spanish (Spanish, Mexican), German, Flemish, Norwegian, Hebrew, Turkish series on the streamer. That is something I could not have imagined a few years back.
I too enjoyed Katla, Trapped and The Valhalla murders, mainly for a fresh look at other countries of the world. The stark environment of Iceland was particularly interesting to me as a geologist/geophysicist.

Before that I had my fill of Norwegian fare with Vikings, The last Empire and Ragnarok. Waiting for the next season of Ragnarok now.

Before that Broadchurch was a great, understated murder mystery, with the actress who played the later Queen Elizabeth in The Crown, in it.

In the genre of shoot first, talk later, Fauda was unputdownable (if it were a book). And next on my list is Hit and run, after I complete The 100.
Cheers
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks