Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2022, 09:48   #4156
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Thanks to all for recommending Mare of Easttown. A very gripping murder mystery once you get into it, and also shows the unique dynamics of a small town in USA. Kate Winslet is brilliant as always, but so are all the other actors.

Rating 5 out of 5 stars .

Single complaint = Wish there were more episodes .
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 10:12   #4157
Senior - BHPian

Watched Tabbar on Sony Liv based on the recommendations on this thread. Was very thrilling and gripping till the end. Pavan Malhotra and Supriya Pathak as usual have given stellar performances. The other supporting actors were great as well. The last 2 seasons are a bit of a drag and over dramatic. But overall its recommended. My mom and wifey were on the edge of their seat shouting instructions to the screen actors.

Also finished Decoupled at one go. Good humorous series on an upper middle class couple and their life. The jokes are pretty well made. Enjoyed it throughout.

Now on "Psych" on Amazon Prime. Good old comedy series based on a so called psychic who uses observation power to solve crimes. Am on Season 4 now. Enjoying it.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 10:33   #4158

Finished watching Maid on Netflix. I usually do not binge watch anything, but this was one series i couldn't pause. The lead Margaret Qualley has done a fantastic job, the rest of the cast is amazing too!
Fun fact, Margaret Qualley, who plays the lead is the real-life daughter of Andie MacDowell, who plays her mother in the show.
Rating it 5/5
germin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 11:13   #4159
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone still watch Greys Anatomy. I just read it has been renewed for a 19th Season I thought it had ended its run some years ago.

I did like it and have watched 5-6 seasons. But I don't think I can watch 19 seasons.
Old 19th January 2022, 11:23   #4160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Does anyone still watch Greys Anatomy.
I watched it until maybe S12/13. Then I got terribly bored of the amount of drama, relationship nonsense and the stupidity of characters.
Old 19th January 2022, 12:16   #4161
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone still watch Greys Anatomy. I just read it has been renewed for a 19th Season I thought it had ended its run some years ago.

I did like it and have watched 5-6 seasons. But I don't think I can watch 19 seasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I watched it until maybe S12/13. Then I got terribly bored of the amount of drama, relationship nonsense and the stupidity of characters.
Yup... stopped watching after S11, post which most of the original characters had left.
Old 19th January 2022, 16:59   #4162
BHPian

Started watching "The Wire" a few days back. Have completed the 8th episode in season 1. It is an amazing serial to watch. Starts of as a slowburn in the first couple of epsidoes where the foundation is laid, characters are introduced and sub plots are created. After that it picks up momentum.

It is supposed to portray the life in Baltimore and the first season is specifically focussed on drug culture and drug trade with the police department and various agencies trying to break into this in addition to jurisdictional disputes and loss of people to other units.

The only issue is the use of esoteric language with a lot of 4 letter words used by all. Secondly, some of the dialogues by the drug pushers are very difficult to understand and it takes a bit of time to realize what they mean

I would rate this up there with "The West Wing" for the plot and the way it has been taken. One of the best serials I have seen till date

Rating 4/5 (losing a star for language and some nudity which probably was not needed)
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 20:06   #4163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
The only issue is the use of esoteric language with a lot of 4 letter words used by all.
There is an EPIC scene in one of the episodes where Jimmy & Bunk use only the 4 letter word to decipher a crime scene, nothing else. They just go back and forth uttering only the F word and the viewers will follow completely - won't lose a thing!!

I watched the whole thing only after the pandemic started upon recommendation by my ex-manager and my review should be there on this thread. And I struggled with all the nick names initially, but keep at it and you'll get a hang of the characters and the slang too!

It's a timeless series and right up there with all the heavyweights as one of the best ever!
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 21:43   #4164
Senior - BHPian

Humble Politiciann Nograj 4/5

Danish Sait has made the sequel to his movie in the form of a series. This is good because of a few things, watching a movie with a similar theme for 2 hours would've been boring, and tolerating the antics of the character for more than 20mins is irritating (to me atleast).

Nothing connects with today's generation like humor does, and this series offers humor in a good measure to bring out the character of an ambitious career politician.

Suggest not to binge, but rather watch it in parts over the week. It's on Voot.

Louie 4/5
Comedian Louis C.K. playing a functional characterisation of himself as a newly divorced father of 2 in New York. Definitely worth a watch to bust strain of you've had a long day.

Waiting for WeCrash : A documentary on the WeWork fiasco on AppleTV starring Anne Hathaway as Rebekah Neumann & some guy named Jared Leto as Adam Neumann. Looking forward to watching. Hope it covers the legal settlement between Adam Neumann and Masayoshi Son.

GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 17:28   #4165
BANNED

The Sinner on Netflix. IMDB rating: 7.9/10 Stars Jessica Biel.

Quote:
The Sinner follows a young mother who, when overcome by an inexplicable fit of rage, commits a startling act of violence and to her horror has no idea why. The event launches an inverted and utterly surprising crime thriller whose driving force is not the "who" or the "what" -- but the "why" -- as an investigator finds himself obsessed with uncovering the woman's buried motive. Together they travel a harrowing journey into the depths of her psyche and the violent secrets hidden in her past.
Recently finished the first season. Was better than expected.
Electromotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 11:03   #4166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its very much on. I watched it till the 17th season during the onset of Covid. But gave up thereafter. I think the actress playing Meredith is producing the show and probably wants to milk it to the highest extent possible. In my view, the show met its death by the 13/14th season and they should have given up. But then...

In the medical genre, you can watch "The Resident" (Hotstar) and "Good Doctor" (Sony Liv) if not seen already. I found these to be engaging even now. House MD is another good one.

Last edited by hrman : 21st January 2022 at 11:05.
Old 21st January 2022, 11:15   #4167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I think the actress playing Meredith is producing the show and probably wants to milk it to the highest extent possible.
Not her, but Shonda.

https://tvline.com/2021/12/21/ellen-...my-should-end/

https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/12/2...anatomy-season
Old 21st January 2022, 11:28   #4168
Distinguished - BHPian

Ellen Pompeo who plays the titular Meredith Grey is 57 now! It's insane how a series can be stretched way beyond its initial premise and find the viewership numbers as well. I watched Grey's Anatomy for the first couple of seasons but, although I enjoy the genre, the interplay between the main characters felt wrong somehow and I lost interest quickly. House MD is in another league altogether: Hugh Laurie is a genius who elevates the series well beyond its obvious ludicrousness to the point that it's almost a post-satire. But even that gets a bit tiring towards the later seasons.

My favourite medical series was one I watched in my teens: Doogie Howser MD. Just 4 seasons and so unique! I wonder if there is a way to watch this again, is it on any of the OTT platforms?
Old 21st January 2022, 11:35   #4169
BHPian

We cannot talk medical shows and miss talking about Scrubs.

I am yet to find a streaming platform for this. But when i used to see this in TV, this was by far the closest to showing lives of medical interns.
Old 21st January 2022, 11:55   #4170
Distinguished - BHPian

There was this wonderful television series with medical drama as a backdrop during the late eighties or early nineties named LIFELINE, have tried finding it online but doesn’t show up anywhere. Besides that, House MD is by far one of the best along with ER starring George Clooney in my view when it comes to medical drama.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks