Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2022, 21:04   #4306
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Ahem. I'm going to be brave and mention Netflix India's "Vampire Diaries".

The series has left me hooked, despite being namby-pamby with ample teenage high school dramas interspersed amid a well-woven storyline. The very concept is cliched and has been beaten to death with the "Twilight" movie trilogy. We've seen enough movies and series around vampires, werewolves and witches running around high school or college campuses ("The covenant", "Teen wolf", "Sabrina the teenage witch", "Buffy the vampire slayer"...etc.), some of which where utter flops. So it took a real man (ahem) to you know, man up, and risk time watching this teenage drama.

But what unfolded over 4 seasons so far has left me addicted to it. "Vampire diaries" is alright to watch and enjoy. It has good storytelling.

Caveat - I tend to fast forward past the sticky-icky scenes with romance, crying and stuff. If you follow the same mode of watching this series, you'll make it through to the other side with enjoyment.

Note - There's a spin-off of "Vampire diaries" on Netflix India now. It is called "The originals". And I'm hearing good things about it as well.
Old 11th April 2022, 01:26   #4307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks for heads-up. Looks interesting. Added to my watchlist.

What are the other 4 Top Comedy series according to you? Hope Schitts Creek is one of them.
Brooklyn Nine Nine - Another re-watchable anytime. Simply love it. It was cancelled and picked up by another network cos of fans outcry and popularity.

Ted Lasso - Don't miss it for anything. It's on Apple TV. Probably the most feel good show i had ever seen.

The Big Bang Story - First 6 seasons are pure fun. Then it starts going down.

How I met your mother - Barring the last couple of seasons it's quite awesome.

The Office - Steve Carell is brilliant in this. Such understated way of showing the everyday office life.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Not everyone's cup of tea as some episodes get quite dark in its tone but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

New Girl - it's quite underrated. First season takes time to take off but when it does it's a very pleasant little show.

By the way I enjoyed Schitts Creek immensely but it's not something i can re-watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
It's arguably the best comedy I've ever seen. Must have gone through it at least 8 times by now. In fact, I got a little worried when I couldn't spot it in Sony liv a couple of months back, till my wife told me its on Netflix. Phew!
Glad to meet another Community fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Ahem. I'm going to be brave and mention Netflix India's "Vampire Diaries".

But what unfolded over 4 seasons so far has left me addicted to it. "Vampire diaries" is alright to watch and enjoy. It has good storytelling.

Caveat - I tend to fast forward past the sticky-icky scenes with romance, crying and stuff. If you follow the same mode of watching this series, you'll make it through to the other side with enjoyment.

Note - There's a spin-off of "Vampire diaries" on Netflix India now. It is called "The originals". And I'm hearing good things about it as well.
Vampire Diaries was one of my favourite until the last couple of seasons when it goes completely downhill due to fights among the cast and screenplay going off.

The Originals is much better in my opinion and more consistent till the end.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 22:24   #4308

Anyone watched Peaky Blinders Season 6 yet? It had a good farewell and plot ending to keep fans guessing the movie plot. I won’t splurt out spoilers for S6 in case the vast majority hasn’t watched it yet.
Old 11th April 2022, 23:29   #4309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsramki View Post
Anyone watched Peaky Blinders Season 6 yet? It had a good farewell and plot ending to keep fans guessing the movie plot. I won’t splurt out spoilers for S6 in case the vast majority hasn’t watched it yet.
S6 for PeakyBlinders is yet to be released on Netflix. It would be uploaded on June 10th.
Old 11th April 2022, 23:32   #4310

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
S6 for PeakyBlinders is yet to be released on Netflix. It would be uploaded on June 10th.
Ah right, I am in the UK and watched it on BBC.
Old 13th April 2022, 03:53   #4311
BHPian

Gullak Season 3: what a delight to watch. I would rather call this as an emotional journey. Not even a second of screentime is missable. No unnecessary drama, complexities or situations. Writing and performances exceed expectations. Best part - it's enjoyable with entire family. Rated : 5/5.
Thanks
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 18:52   #4312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankarG View Post
Gullak Season 3: what a delight to watch. I would rather call this as an emotional journey. Not even a second of screentime is missable. No unnecessary drama, complexities or situations. Writing and performances exceed expectations. Best part - it's enjoyable with entire family. Rated : 5/5.
Thanks
Totally agree, such a beautiful well made series, I really like the voiceover of gullak, the guy Shivanjit Parihar. In contrast to this I ended up watching the second season of Apharan, the first one despite the language was one hell of a thriller, the latest offering is more of a caricature or poor joke on the original, seems they got confused whether they were making a thriller or saas bahu type serial, what a big letdown. Thankfully I got to watch Gullak later to relax my mind!
aspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 19:10   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

By the way I enjoyed Schitts Creek immensely but it's not something i can re-watch.
I hope you have also seen "Best Wishes, Warmest Regards: A Schitt's Creek Farewell" on Netflix. You may shed a tear or two if you enjoyed (loved actually) Schitts Creek. For me, this is one of the best shows I have watched and you feel like crying when it ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
TI ended up watching the second season of Apharan, the first one despite the language was one hell of a thriller, the latest offering is more of a caricature or poor joke on the original, seems they got confused whether they were making a thriller or saas bahu type serial, what a big letdown.
Second season of Apharan was really bad compared to first season. If someone has not seen it, avoid. But then the way it ended, I am sure there will be 3rd season.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 20:30   #4314
BHPian

Watched Mai on Netflix
My rating 4/5
Sakshi Tanwar is terrific in the role. It's comparatively slow at places. Find it difficult to belive how role played can think and get away in every unusual situations.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 08:04   #4315
Senior - BHPian

Mai: a mother's rage on Netflix.
4/5 from me too.

Solid performances all around but Tanwar is the best. Never knew she acted so well? Only 6 episodes long, pacing is good. I personally never felt they were dragging any where.

Revolving around a medical scam there are some head scratching holes but compared to what we get as Hindi thrillers (Rudra for example) this one is much, much better in every aspect.

Protagonist is really unassuming and a true underdog but has a knack of getting out of impossible situations unscathed.

Her complicated family dynamic is also shown nicely and those supporting actors have done well.
Has a few gory scenes that will make you flinch. Otherwise I will say watch it. It's definitely one of the better ones from the lot. After Arya (Hotstar) this is the one I liked most.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 13:10   #4316
Senior - BHPian

Better Call Saul is back.
Excellent couple of episodes to start.
Lalo has to be one of the coolest character in their universe.
If anyone hasn't seen it i highly recommend it and if anyone hasn't seen Breaking Bad then after this they should definitely watch it. There is a reason it's regarded as the best TV show.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 16:19   #4317
Senior - BHPian

Better Call Saul Season 6 dropped on Netflix yesterday in Europe and I didn't miss it. Riveting start to the season Finale which will converge with Breaking Bad towards the end. Needs a lot of patience to sit and wait for the Week on Week Episode drop but it will be worth the wait.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 17:03   #4318
Senior - BHPian

Binge watched the following on Prime during the lockdown years.

Started with the Big Bang Theory, followed by the Little Sheldon.
Then The Office and the Good Wife followed by the Good Fight.

On the Hindi front, two shows I liked for their sheer entertainment factor without violence are Chacha Vidhayak Hai Hamare and Panchayat.

Last edited by honeybee : 20th April 2022 at 17:05.
Old 20th April 2022, 21:30   #4319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Better Call Saul is back.
Excellent couple of episodes to start.
Lalo has to be one of the coolest character in their universe.
If anyone hasn't seen it i highly recommend it and if anyone hasn't seen Breaking Bad then after this they should definitely watch it. There is a reason it's regarded as the best TV show.
Are you referring to Season 6? Is it released globally?

I happened to bump into Season 5 recently. God Knows how I missed it. Not sure if it released on Netflix recently? It shows it was released in 202.

Eitherways, Binged watched it last week.

You are right. Lalo is an amazing character and not sure if Lalo and his more popular and maniac cousin TUCO will be shown alongside.

But, both Salamanca brothers are wonderful characters.

Lalo- Cool but, super menacing.
Tuco- Cool but, super psychotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Mai: a mother's rage on Netflix.
4/5 from me too.
No doubt the series is gripping and Sakhi Talwar did a wonderful job. However, I got completely put off by the abusive language that was used by some of male characters. Totally unnecessary and did not fit into the theme of story.

Because of that my rating is 2.5/5
Old 20th April 2022, 22:05   #4320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Are you referring to Season 6? Is it released globally?

I happened to bump into Season 5 recently. God Knows how I missed it. Not sure if it released on Netflix recently? It shows it was released in 202.
I see that your location is US. As it is AMC's show, It takes a while before Better Call Saul seasons come to Netflix US. Its possible that season 5 dropped on Netflix US only recently. I was in US when season 5 released and I remember watching by subscribing to AMC on Amazon Prime. If you want to watch the new season now, you might need to get AMC on Prime or Sling

Last edited by IndieGooner : 20th April 2022 at 22:06.
IndieGooner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks