Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 09:32   #4531
Team-BHP Support

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Late to the party, but I managed to wrap up Fauda over the weekend. Loved it thoroughly! It’s an Israeli series about a counter-terrorism team from the IDF amidst the Israel-Palestine conflict and the various adversaries they face.

Some of the episodes are downright gripping and ends in a cliffhanger, forcing us to watch the next one and the one after that and the one after that. Wrapped up season 3 at 3 AM in the morn. Loved this season over the previous ones. I watched it with Hebrew audio and English subtitles on Netflix.

Will rate it 4.5/5.

I hear Season 4 has begun airing. For folks who loved Homeland, they’ll love this - guaran-damn-teed!
Gannu_1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 14:44   #4532
BHPian

I just finished the third season of Solar Opposites.

For the uninitiated, Solar Opposites is an animated adult sitcom created by the same people who made Rick and Morty. The vibe of the show is very similar to Rick and Morty with gory and senseless violence, plotlines that end at a place completely different from where they started etc. What sets the Solar Opposites apart is the existence of a sub-plot where the aliens shrink some humans and keep them in a wall that looks like an ant-farm where they build their own society - its almost mind-blowing.

The first two seasons were really good though the third felt a bit off-pace (still good).

I would give 4/5 for this series, can't wait for the next season.

dragracer567 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 23:33   #4533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
Hey!, just use a VPN to India and watch it via Netflix. Easier and cheaper and choice of shows would be larger as well
Hey, heard about accessing channels via. VPN. But, I am tech noob so how to and cost involved for acquiring any connections would be appreciated.

Steps on connecting to VPN will be even more appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The S06E08 was aired on monday the 07/11, and 5 more to go with finale(S06E13), on 08/15.
Wow. 8 Episodes are already out.

I was watching the S5 Episode 10 when they try an assassination attempt on Lalo. It was so gripping.

I am in my mind to subscribe for AMC+ unless Dheer gives a cheaper option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Late to the party, but I managed to wrap up Fauda over the weekend. Loved it thoroughly! It’s an Israeli series about a counter-terrorism team from the IDF amidst the Israel-Palestine conflict and the various adversaries they face.
You are indeed late. This is in my Top 10 list of all time favorite series. I may have seen this 3-4 times already. Some episodes many more times as I like a particular situation.

Truly an amazing series.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 22:47   #4534
BHPian

Watched Shoorveer on Hotsrar
It's a plot on India's elite force formation consisting army, navy and airforce soldiers.
Overall good content baring a few things which are shot in a typical bollywood fashion. Focus on airforce. Marcos get no representation.
You get to see how forces carryout an op, strategies, jargons, technologies.
Cast is OK.
Rating 3.5/5
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:11   #4535
Senior - BHPian

Watched Ms.Marvel on hotstar.

Felt like an amalgamation of bollywood into Marvel universe. Special appearance by the bollywood actor was pretty seamless. However action sequences weren’t Marvel level which left a lot to be desired. And Overdose of hindi songs

Never the less okayish one time watch

Rating: 3/5
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:30   #4536
Senior - BHPian

James May: Our Man In Italy (Amazon Prime)

Two episodes (6 Total) down and it's been fun. Few moments were cringe inducing but overall nice to see.
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 17:41   #4537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hey, heard about accessing channels via. VPN. But, I am tech noob so how to and cost involved for acquiring any connections would be appreciated.

Steps on connecting to VPN will be even more appreciated.

Hey!, so the process of connecting and subscribing to a VPN is very simple (just a disclaimer: I am no way affiliated or involved in any VPN nor they pay me.)

Step 1: Select a VPN provider ( I prefer ProtonVPN or Nord VPN).
Step 2: Pay roughly 8$ or take a trial Subscription for a month or so.
Step 3: Connect to the country of your choice where the shows are(India, Amsterdam, Singapore).
Step 4: Access Netflix as you would and see new shows magically pop up

That's all actually. I would never pay HBO or 500 other OTT companies, when I can just use a VPN for 80% of the shows shown through Netflix in other countries. (Used this trick while I was in Singapore and Europe.)
Old 22nd July 2022, 17:52   #4538
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm recommending the HBO original mini-series titled "Show me a hero" today.

Where to watch in India: Hotstar + Disney
What it is about: Real life events surrounding racial de-segregation in the town of Yonkers, through the eyes of the then Mayor, and the effects his principled stand had on him and his family.
Why you should watch it:
1) You'll get a fair understanding of how the implementation of racial desegregation in the housing sector in the US actually unfolded, since the show is based on actual events. We might view documentaries on the topic, or read 1 page highlight articles online about it, but seldom does change happen without struggle and sacrifice. While we've ourselves seen dogged and dogmatic resistance to proposed Bills in India in recent times; it helps to view the world through the eyes of a principled man who stands up and delivers when the entire world around him riles and raves at him like rabid madmen. This show will give you that point of view. And then one might close one's eyes and actually wonder how does anything ever get done in democracies!
2) A very good cast - Oscar Isaac ("Moon knight"), Winona Ryder (the one and only), Jon Bernthal ("The Punisher"), Carla Quevedo (what a beautiful lady she is!) etc.
3) My usual platitudes (as with my every review here) - good acting, good narration etc. But hey - would I ever recommend a show if it didn't meet these criteria?
4) It's a short series comprising only 6 episodes. You can watch it through a weekend and feel good about it. On the other hand, if you were to dive into a lengthy and eventually monotonous show such as "The vampire diaries", you find yourselves regretting your having started streaming it in the first places! You'll have none of that with this mini-series.

(Note: I gave up on the last season of "The vampire diaries" midway through; I just couldn't take it anymore...the main characters die, go to hell, everyone cries, they come back again, they kill innocent humans, no one notices, in comes a new villain, but the new villain gets overcome etc. Ahem, no. Just no.)
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 17:03   #4539
BHPian

Better call Saul 10/10

I've watched 2 seasons of better call Saul years ago, started watching from season 3
and now I am into season 6th.
what a fantastic series, better than breaking bad. Must watch.

Last edited by SanjayW : 23rd July 2022 at 17:12.
Old 23rd July 2022, 17:35   #4540
Distinguished - BHPian

Manifest on Netflix is pretty interesting. Finished one season. A little slow, but just when you start to feel it is becoming repetitive, there is a new twist that wakes you up. Need to see if season 2 and 3 can maintain the momentum.
Old 23rd July 2022, 19:11   #4541
Senior - BHPian

Ghar Waapsi on hotstar.

The series touches upon some important topics of today’s time like layoffs and it effects on people’s lives, typical Indian family communication(or the lack of it) & the age old ‘log kya kahenge’ bits. The last episode specially gives a good reflection on where we stand as employees for our organisations. All actors have done a decent job and it made for a light watch although nowhere as entertaining as Gullak.

Rating:3.5/5

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd July 2022 at 19:14.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 21:01   #4542
BHPian

Marvel's DareDevil - *****
I know I'm very late to this, but I'm glad I watched it ! What a show this is ! Charlie Cox & Vincent D'Onofrio both are perfect cast, no one could have done justice to these roles. I liked everything about this show, storyline, casting, the way each character has their own background and those action scenes ! Truly visual delight. IMO this is the best Marvel work since the civil war, everything else is just meh. The less I talk about the phase 4 stuff, the better
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 06:25   #4543
Team-BHP Support

With all the raving reviews about 'Better call Saul' these days, I decided to brush off the cobwebs and start watching it from Season 1. I remember getting started on it years ago, and then abandoning it owing to the slow pace. Now I realise what a mistake it was.

To make it a complete experience, we've commenced watching 'Breaking Bad' as a family right from Season 1, before embarking on BCS.

Definitely a delight to watch!

"Say my name!"
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 08:16   #4544
Senior - BHPian

The Boys (Amazon Prime) - 4.5/5 stars

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier, but this is a must watch series. Not for the faint hearted, nor for children. Lot of gore and action, but more importantly, if you are a superhero fan, this is unmissable. Performances are top notch, and story line throws up one surprise over the other.

This is the dark side of superheroes shown like never before. Absolute classic. The third season is out now, so a good time to binge watch all 3 seasons.
arindambasu13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 14:08   #4545
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Completed The Old Man season 1. What a fantastic piece of watch. Rated 9 on 10 if not 10 on 10.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th August 2022 at 14:04. Reason: Copied the series part to this thread.

Most Viewed