Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2024, 11:41   #5266
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Gen V:

While I liked watching The Boys, i was not too keen on watching Gen V. But on a whim, decided to give it a go. And it's been a pretty good ride thus far

As with The Boys, this is also not for the squeamish.
Same here. I thought the spinoff was yet another way to cash in on the success of the The Boys, but they have actually done a pretty good job of Gen V. I am waiting for the next season of this one

Unfortunately (my opinion here), grossness and language in both mainstream movies and TV across OTT platforms has "changed" over the last few years. It is one thing to say, characters speak how they normally do in real-life, but who's to say that real-life is now not imitating what is shown on screen. Anyway, it is almost impossible to watch these with family and older kids. So I have to dig out my bluetooth headset and get to my favorite chair and enjoy these by myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
YES! I was a crazy fan of "24". Have watched all seasons, however the later seasons just failed to live up to the standard.

P.s. Available on Hotstar.
Kiefer Sutherland was simply outstanding in the earlier seasons of 24 and I used to watch mainly for him. The supporting cast was also pretty good and the plot premises were more relatable.

The storylines in the later seasons were a bit thin in my opinion and there was one when Anil Kapoor also starred.

I observed a similar trajectory with a related series 'Homeland' where the later seasons didn't match the promise/tightness of the stories of the initial ones
Old 8th January 2024, 12:07   #5267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
Kiefer Sutherland was simply outstanding in the earlier seasons of 24 and I used to watch mainly for him. The supporting cast was also pretty good and the plot premises were more relatable.

The storylines in the later seasons were a bit thin in my opinion and there was one when Anil Kapoor also starred.

I observed a similar trajectory with a related series 'Homeland' where the later seasons didn't match the promise/tightness of the stories of the initial ones
Agreed. The first couple of seasons of 24, were the dictionary definition of nail-biting. Taut plot-lines, cliff-hanging screenplay. Kudos to Kiefer Sutherland and team!

Anil Kapoor played the role of a fictional President in Season 8 I guess. As I said, the later seasons were largely forgettable.
Old 8th January 2024, 12:09   #5268
Distinguished - BHPian

Liked a few recently:

DCI Banks - BBC Player / Prime Video
Line of Duty - Netflix
Class of 09 - Hotstar
Old 8th January 2024, 13:31   #5269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Line of Duty - Netflix
Line of Duty is a personal favourite! One of the best police procedural dramas made. Every season takes it up a notch
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 13:33   #5270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Line of Duty is a personal favourite! One of the best police procedural dramas made. Every season takes it up a notch
Wonder why only one season is on Netflix. BBC Player shows them all but the video is unavailable. Maybe a licensing issue?
Old 8th January 2024, 13:54   #5271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Wonder why only one season is on Netflix. BBC Player shows them all but the video is unavailable. Maybe a licensing issue?
Yes, unfortunately for us, only 1 Season streaming on Netflix for India. I had downloaded the other seasons via a not-so-reputable source.
Old 8th January 2024, 14:19   #5272
Senior - BHPian

Anybody watched 'War of the Worlds' here?

I am a sucker for sci-fi/alien stuff and keep looking for series' across all platforms. Recently came across this one on Amazon Prime. It started off well but got slow and boring after a point. Season-1 was OK, Season-2 started off pretty boring but gained some traction post episode 4 and I ended up watching the rest of the season at a go yester-night.

Overall the plot had great potential and it doesn't have the typical alien series' characters(anything more would be a spoiler so would refrain). Will start Season-3 now and hope it doesn't turn out as boring.

Even IMDB rating isn't very encouraging(6.5/10) and for good reason. Watch it if you absolutely love that genre, else can give it a pass.

Rating : 3/5

Last edited by SoumenD : 8th January 2024 at 14:23.
Old 8th January 2024, 15:37   #5273
Senior - BHPian

Netflix documentary series: You Are What You Eat.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-img_4705.png

This covers the study done recently at Stanford that took 22 identical twins, put one of them on a plant based diet for 4 weeks and the other on meat based diet while putting them through physical trainings. After 4 weeks, the twins were asked to stick to the diet but cook themselves. Note that the meat based diet consisted of organic, grass fed "high quality" meats. I have to admit that the results were actually quite surprising. The series covers not just the study but also shows the impact of meat farming on the environment as well as the economy.

After this, of course The Game Changers popped up on the list and this one blew my mind even more! It covered elite athletes in all kinds of sports, from power to endurance, who had switched to a vegan diet and gone on to win top level competitions. Some of the examples included UFC champion Nate Diaz who defeated Conor McGregor, the US Olympic gold medalist in track cycling Dotsie Bausch, half of the NFL team Titans defense lineup and many more, including Lewis Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger who are all vegans.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-img_4706.png

If nothing else, both documentaries highlighted how bad the American diet really is and switching to organic, grass fed meats, while it may be better than other meats, it still does damage the human body.

It also makes me wonder about the fad among kids all over the world to consume more and more "American diet" of burgers and pizzas.
amitoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 16:29   #5274
Senior - BHPian

^^

Beware of the various propaganda going on - the stakes are huge.
I have watched both of these and both appeared to be clear vegan propaganda.

There are several documentaries (propaganda) which says the complete opposite thing - eating read meat and animal fat in huge quantities in the path to nirvana etc.

Anyways, one can believe what one wants to, but better to be aware.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 17:48   #5275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post

In Comparison, Our Man in Italy is seeming to be a bit meh. Perhaps I should reserve my comments since I have only seen 1 Episode.
I change my comment on Italy. It was quite good and in Typical James May humor which is quite nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Watch out for "Our man in India", which is releasing on Jan 4th or 5th.
Saw. Another good one. My only grouse is that it is only 3 episodes and hence feels a bit rushed. Technically even 6 episodes is too less for India.

I thought Aditi Mittal is a bit too loud in the trailer but her sense of Humor helped in the recovery. All-in-all: Good watch.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 19:49   #5276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Anyone here who followed '24' season 1 / season 2 ? Was broadcast in the US 20 years back. Kiefer Sutherland in lead, with the gorgeous Elisha Cuthbert also in it.
YES! It is one of my favourite shows till now.
Old 8th January 2024, 22:59   #5277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
^^

Beware of the various propaganda going on - the stakes are huge.
I have watched both of these and both appeared to be clear vegan propaganda.

There are several documentaries (propaganda) which says the complete opposite thing - eating read meat and animal fat in huge quantities in the path to nirvana etc.

Anyways, one can believe what one wants to, but better to be aware.
Both are based on controlled experiments, research and real world experiences. What part are you referring to that was propaganda? Asking for my awareness as I would hate to give up tandoori chicken

PS: I am also going to report my post and request moderators to move it to an appropriate thread if there is one, as subsequent discussions will be way off topic.
Old 9th January 2024, 08:18   #5278
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Stumbled upon a deadly business show called "Industry" on Jio. If you like business or finance or drama, this one is for you. Rating it 4 out of 5 stars. I generally don't like UK-based movies or shows, yet have somehow gotten addicted to this one.

It's set in a ruthless investment bank filled with aggressive bosses, staff & interns fighting for full-time roles. Truly captures the high pressure environment of such companies. Great performances & twists in the story, but not family-friendly at all (lots of adult stuff, drugs etc.).

Quite fast-paced. Will have you hooked.

GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 08:21   #5279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yes please. Fargo is an amazing crime drama series. Each one has a different plot, different set of actors and is set in a different timeline. Very clever storytelling and has some great twists.

I am yet to watch the latest one which was released last month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
Season 1 is brilliant. Remember how you had one scene in the movie where Frances McDormand goes over the crime scene and pretty much works out how the murder was committed just by looking at the tracks and blood? Itís taught as a great character intro to show your hero is smart in just a few minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
Fargo season 1 & 2 are high quality television. I did not like season 3, only watched couple of episodes. What do folks think about other seasons compared to season 1 and 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
You are right. Season 3 was trash. Season 4 was good, but it is not classic Fargo. Just another gangster mini-series mixed with some comedy. Season 5 is back to what Fargo used to be. It is on episode 8 now and am sad it will be over in another 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by udaji View Post
Fargo fans should stop watching at the end of season 2. Could not even bear to watch 10 minutes of S03E01.
Thanks for the inputs. I started Fargo Season 1 and unlike me, I finished it in just 3-days and boy, oh boy. What a masterpiece of a series.

Absolutely wonderful television and loved Billy Bob Thornton. This is possibly one of his best works of his career. He was calm, unpredictable, mysterious and funny too which is quite a bit of multi layers to his character. I equally liked Martin Freeman due to which the whole incidents snowballed. His expressions throughout the season was priceless.

And, of course my favorite Bob Odenkirk was a surprise as I didn't know he was in this series. As usual, he is a rock star.

Can't wait to start the Season 2.

I'm just wondering how such a good series can go completely downhill in Season 3? I need to find that out myself.

Quote:
Little off topic, but I am currently doing my umpteenth re-run of the classic: The West Wing.
What is it about? More details would be nice.
Old 9th January 2024, 11:22   #5280

Quote:
Little off topic, but I am currently doing my umpteenth re-run of the classic: The West Wing.

Could not find it on any OTT platform surprisingly. Glad to have downloaded on all seasons few years back and stored on my HDD.

Truly timeless!
The only thing that put me off in 'The West Wing' is: WHY do they need to walk all the time while talking? That was taking 'Walk the Talk' to an extreme.

Most Viewed